Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2011, 10:37 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Allie0817
Stats: 34, 5'5". 259.7/183.5/135
WOE: Medi
Start Date: 12/9-7/10 Dr. Lara, Medi 03/11-now
Rapid Hair Loss

Hi there - I've been perusing the forums in a state of sheer panic!

I have been experiencing rapid hair loss for the past 3 months, to the point that I've begun collecting it from my car (every other day) and FILLING a ziploc quart bag. I used to have very thick wavy hair, to the point that I could only wrap a hair tie 1-2 times, but now I'm able to go around 4 times! I have been following the Medi plan since March, and am fairly certain that it's the cause. Does ANYONE have any suggestions for what I can do to stop this? It may seem really vain, but I can't believe that in order to get healthy I will have to walk around with bald spots on my head!
I am only 34 years old, and have another 50 pounds to lose!! I am looking for ANY insight - it is getting to the point where I am in tears and considering stopping the diet. (btw, I live in Florida and currently take the Medi multi-vitamin, Biotin, Lysine, Zinc, Calcium and Fish Oil vitamins)

Thanks for any replies, I've never-ever posted to any kind of a support forum, so I'm kind of nervous about this posting....
Allie0817 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2011, 12:42 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Michelynn
Stats: 215/157/150
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: 9/6/11
I was going to mention vitamins and Biotin, but you're already taking them.

Have you asked your clinic staff about it? I know there are conditions that can cause hair loss (such as anemia, thyroid, hormones) that could be the culprit. I would ask them to do your blood work again and/or see your doctor to check for other issues.

Good luck!!
Michelynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:45 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Gracie514
Stats: 214.6/198/194.6 SECOND GOAL!!!
WOE: HCG- highest wt 250 lbs!!!
Start Date: 1/1/2014 LC 2/17/14 Hhcg
How much Biotin are you taking? You need a high dose of it if you are losing weight fast. I believe mine is 5,000 mg/capsule. That happened to me after losing a lot on hcg. I started the Biotin and it grew back pretty quick. But, it will be a different length than the rest of your hair.
Gracie514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:59 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: christyran1228
Stats: 39, 5'3", 265/248/160
WOE: MWL
Start Date: August 12, 2011/restart October 9, 2012
I have a thyroid disorder and I shed all over the place ... but it hasn't gotten better or worse since starting the diet.

If you're taking all of your supplements, I'd definitely bring it up at your next visit.
christyran1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 02:23 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ferrarimomof3
Stats: 226.6/125/125.6
WOE: Medi- short maintenance phase
Start Date: 1/11/11
It happened to me at about 50lb loss. I increased my omega 3's, took biotin, and increased my protein some.
ferrarimomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:29 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hyonlyf
Stats: 169/135/135 reached goal Dec 15
WOE: MWL
Start Date: August 30 2011
I take 5000mg of Biotin twice daily.

I haven't noticed a huge hair loss, my friend has though. If it happens to me I will first, cry :-( and then probably get a shorter hair cut while I wait for it to grow back-which it WILL do. Remember, the weight loss is permanent, the hair loss is not, it will grow back!

I sympathize with you and know that our hair is an important feature, just try to stick it out.
hyonlyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:43 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Allie0817
Stats: 34, 5'5". 259.7/183.5/135
WOE: Medi
Start Date: 12/9-7/10 Dr. Lara, Medi 03/11-now
Thanks for all the feedback - I met with the Dr at the clinic yesterday, but wasn't necessarily happy with the response. He told me that I don't need to worry about it until I get BALD SPOTS....for me, once that happens, I don't know what I will do! He told me it could be stress related, or just a natural cycle - but given the fact that the follicle is coming out with the hair, I know that it's trully falling out and not just breaking/etc. I am going to look at my bottle of Biotin tonight, to see what strength I'm currently taking.
However, I did just find a product and I'm wondering if anyone has heard of it? It's called "Shen Min Advanced Women's Formula Hair Regrowth". Since I'm feeling pretty desperate, and ready to try just about anything, I'm hoping that someone has used it or heard of it.
Allie0817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:36 PM   #8
MBP
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MBP
Stats: 206/165/135
WOE: Medi Weight Loss
Start Date: Sept. 1, 2011
I had this happen to me and I lost half my hair. I am not kidding. It was devastating. I was considering buying a wig it was so bad. Here is what you need to do.

Go to Ulta or Sephora and buy 3 products from the Phyto haircare line. You MUST use all 3 togther to get great results. Check out all the glowing customer reviews on the Ulta or Sephora web sites. They are expensive but worth EVERY PENNY!

1) Phytocyane Revitalizing Shampoo for Thinning Hair
2) Phytophanere Dietary Supplement for Hair & Nails (use this in combination with your Biotin)
3) Phytocyane Revitalizing Treatment for Thinning Hair (this was amazing!)

My hair looks great, has filled in and I am no longer embarrased. I still use these products every day. I had to find these by lots of trial and error but they have saved me. See if you can find a 20% code/coupon for either of these stores to help the cost. Hope this helps you!! Good luck and hang in there.

BTW, this happened to me about 5 months into my Medi Diet.

Last edited by MBP; 11-02-2011 at 12:47 PM..
MBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:42 PM   #9
MBP
Junior LCF Member

For a quick fix right away...

Until your hair grows in (which will take quite some time) hide your bald spots or thinning scalp areas by using Toppik hair fiber builder. It is amazing. You can get it at Sally's Beauty Supply or even order it online at Amazon. This was a god send. It comes in several colors so match it to your hair. Also, use a fine mist hair spray to keep it in place...you do not need to buy the Toppik spray. I did not think it worked well. Again, hope this helps!
Old 11-06-2011, 11:00 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Twisted Suze
Stats: 5'3"_220/183.5/150
Start Date: 04 Nov 2011
I asked someone at my MWL clinic about the possible hair loss and she said the omega 3 would help prevent that.
Also it seems to be different for each person.....just have to wait and see.
My hair is thin and straight and I would find that horrifying.

This message board doesn't provide a way to send personal messages, does it ? I couldn't find that in profiles.

I only wanted to ask how many others besides ChristyRan1228 and MBP are in TX.

Last edited by Twisted Suze; 11-06-2011 at 11:03 AM..
Twisted Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:46 PM   #11
MBP
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Suze View Post
I asked someone at my MWL clinic about the possible hair loss and she said the omega 3 would help prevent that.
Also it seems to be different for each person.....just have to wait and see.
My hair is thin and straight and I would find that horrifying.

I took the Medi Omegas 3x a day and I still lost a TON of hair. It is the body's reaction to the strict caloric reduction. Everyone reacts differently.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:36 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: barbwired
Stats: 227/172/147
WOE: Low Carb/Low Cal
Start Date: November 17, 2010
I was losing hair by the handfuls, actually had to stop blowing out my hair and letting it air dry curly so it wouldn't show as much. They weren't very helpful at the center, but my hair dresser said it had happened with another client who lost alot of wieght. She told me that hair growth is about a 90 day cycle and it would come back. I took biotin and omegas and nothing seemed to help. I did up my calcium and right around that time, it seemed to stop. Not sure if it was just the hair growth cycle, or the calcium, but it stopped. I have all kinds of new growth and everything is coming back. Good luck!
barbwired is offline   Reply With Quote