Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Medi Weightloss (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/medi-weightloss/)
-   -   Tanita scale craziness? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/medi-weightloss/739903-tanita-scale-craziness.html)

MaraMom 10-10-2011 09:26 AM

Tanita scale craziness?

Weighed in today and very confused. Would have discussed my confusion at my weigh in, but the "counselor" did the math on my fat loss vs wt loss and made a mistake according to the tanita slip so I didn't freak til I re-did the math at home.... So here goes....

Only lost a WHOPPING 1 pound! :cry: BUT...according to the tanita slip and my slip from last week I lost SEVEN pounds of fat this week(counselor said "you only lost a pound overall but you lost 2-3 pounds of fat). So I get home and its SEVEN. Also adds up to + 4 pounds water and + 2 pounds muscle...for a net loss of one pound.

So, my concern is I am losing faith in these tanita scales and need reassurance! Is it really possible on week 11 to lose 7 pounds of fat??? ( I'm not as concerned with believing the water gain and/or muscle gain as I drink my gallon a day and all my protein and I walk 45 min 5 times a week and ride my bike 30 minutes 4 times a week.)

I know it seems funny to be complaining about a 7 pound fat loss but last week the scale/counselor said I gained 2.4 pounds of fat for a net loss of -1.8 pounds.

So....eating 750 calories a day, exercising daily and taking fat burners 3 x a day and I gained 2.4 pounds of fat? I guess the combination of the past two weigh ins has me really :stars::dunno::confused:

I'm losing and I'm happy but if anyone has had any similar experience I'd love to hear. To add to my nervousness I will NOT be weighing in next week and will be out of town visiting relatives. Really wanted to see some good numbers (I could believe in..haha) before I left town for my first traveling time since starting medi. :help:

ferrarimomof3 10-10-2011 12:07 PM

I have had a time when I went in and the scale told me I gained .4 in fat. It was my only time ever having a gain. I freaked out because I had not cheated. I think it is totally possible to loose 7lbs of fat at 11 weeks. I was at 39 weeks last week and lost 2.6lbs of fat with a fat percentage of 19.5% for overall on my body. I think as long as you are in ketosis you are going to loose fat. Take it as a great number and be very happy. You are doing this and it is working. Do you workout before you go weigh in? I ask because I have been told by trainers in the past that weighing after you workout will show a gain due to water. So, just a thought to keep in mind.

Don't worry about going out of town. Be cautious and don't worry about asking for food a specific way in restaurants usually they are more than happy to do it. And if you are eating at someone's house. I am sure they will be willing to grill or bake you something. If you have to at someone's house, you can always get some smoked turkey sausage and weigh out for protein or eat eggs. Make sure you pack your food scale. And, if your relatives are like mine they are supportive although every now and then you have the neighsayer. Remember you are doing this for you and your health and you are worth it. When I go out of town, I always get the grilled steaks, chicken, or fish in restaurants. Make sure you specify that you don't want it cooked in anything. I have found from doing research on internet that a lot of restaurants grill stuff with butter. A grilled meat and steamed broccoli are always safe bets for me. Enjoy yourself and remember food is for nourishment not happiness.

GREAT JOB on the loss.

MaraMom 10-10-2011 06:11 PM

Thanks Ferrari, I will re read your advice several times this week :) Never thought of taking my food scale but its a great idea!

I am hoping you are right about the fat loss....hopefully it will show up on my home scale before I leave town next Monday am.

Wish I could pop in and re weigh myself on the fancy schmanzy tanita this week.

Oh well, downward and onward!

hyonlyf 10-11-2011 09:21 AM

Is there only one scale at your clinic? Mine has 2 and perhaps they read differently?

You are saying you lost SEVEN pounds of fat in ONE week? Like you, I'd be a little skeptical, but if you have been working the WOE and exercising, could very well be true! How awesome!

I weigh in Wednesday and once again am dreading it due to having gone out of town. This weekend is my LAST out of town trip until Disney in February. Whew.

MaraMom 10-11-2011 08:10 PM

Yep, 7 pounds. ? I got on my daughter in laws home tanita scale and it was down a few pounds so probably the water went down. But yeah...it just seemed like ALOT of fat to lose.. though I am "working the program"....

Since I am getting my midweek shot)s on Friday, I may see if they will let me weigh because of the weird weigh in yesterday, but I don't know if they'll let me.
They do have two scales and I may ask to only use the same one from now on.

Glad you are ending your traveling til Feb. Hyonly! Good luck tomorrow. My traveling is starting. A week next week, another weekend with friends in Nov. and then 10 days out west visiting family/friends.

I'll be reading old and new posts for more travel ideas....thanks again.

losing in Ftm 10-12-2011 03:44 AM

Ok here is my opinion of the tanita scale.
I used it as reference only and did not take the information as being 100% accurate. There was some discussion maybe a year or so ago on this board regarding how many different things can effect the readout you get. When I discussed it with my clinic they also warned that the reading can be thrown off by alot of different variables.
I was told the best way to get a accurate picture was to try to make my weigh-ins the same every week. I always weighed the same day and at the same time, I even scheduled my times weeks in advance so I had the earliest time available. Because I went to a workout class right after, I always wore the same clothes. And because I wanted the best reading possible, I waited to drink or eat anything until after the weigh in LOL.
My advice is breathe deep and see what it says next week. Probably you'll have lost 10 lbs of fat!

MaraMom 10-12-2011 05:30 AM

Thanks LosinginFtm...I was happy to read what you do as I do the same...I wear scrubs to work and the clinic is next door so always have the same clothes on. I also go same time/day and only sip water beforehand. So I will keep that up.

Thanks for your advice on the variables that can affect the weigh in. I know water is a biggie!

I guess I'll wait and see what happens at my weigh in after I travel next week.

Thanks for replying and hey, your stats look GOOD! Keep it up!

hyonlyf 10-12-2011 07:00 AM

Mara are you in MS by any chance?

hyonlyf 10-12-2011 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by losing in Ftm (Post 15080626)
Ok here is my opinion of the tanita scale.
I used it as reference only and did not take the information as being 100% accurate. There was some discussion maybe a year or so ago on this board regarding how many different things can effect the readout you get. When I discussed it with my clinic they also warned that the reading can be thrown off by alot of different variables.
I was told the best way to get a accurate picture was to try to make my weigh-ins the same every week. I always weighed the same day and at the same time, I even scheduled my times weeks in advance so I had the earliest time available. Because I went to a workout class right after, I always wore the same clothes. And because I wanted the best reading possible, I waited to drink or eat anything until after the weigh in LOL.
My advice is breathe deep and see what it says next week. Probably you'll have lost 10 lbs of fat!

I agree, I weigh in same time, every time, earliest appt before I eat and such.

MaraMom 10-12-2011 11:29 AM

No, AL

hyonlyf 10-12-2011 12:07 PM

OK lol your clinic layout sounded similar to mine.

Hndfulprls 10-25-2011 05:31 PM

WOW this is kind of freaky because I had the same sort of weigh in today.

Date WeightChangeTotal Fat % Fat Mass Water BMI BP Pulse Waist
Oct. 25, 2011 267.0 lbs. 2.5 ↑ -18.20 35.0% 93.5 lbs. 127.0 lbs.

I am not sure you can read it, but that is an 18.2% fat loss (13 POUNDS), BUT it showed a 2.5lb weight gain and 12 pounds of water. LOL come on! The tech even wiped down the scale and had me weigh again and the exact same results. I had a new counselor today and honestly she just didn't know what to say. I wish my regular counselor was there. Has anybody ever seen anything like this? Same scale I always use too. I would love ANY replies.

christyran1228 10-26-2011 10:36 AM

A couple of weeks ago I had a 4lb fat loss, and a 4lb water gain. The counselor told me that when you lose fat, the cells fill up with water to replace it until that is expelled.

I found a lot of articles that back that up. :)

jbjb93 10-27-2011 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christyran1228 (Post 15123659)
A couple of weeks ago I had a 4lb fat loss, and a 4lb water gain. The counselor told me that when you lose fat, the cells fill up with water to replace it until that is expelled.

I found a lot of articles that back that up. :)

Oooooh that is really interesting!

So should the focus be on overall weight loss??

Hndfulprls 10-27-2011 09:28 AM

Christy, I have never heard that, but I certainly do not doubt you.

What i doubt is the 13 pound fat loss. I would consider a 4 realistic and good, congratulations. I am pretty anxious to get to the next weigh in to see how it all shakes out.

jbjb - If the 13 pound fat loss was actual, I would have no problem with the 2.5lb gain for the week. I feel great, my workouts are a 100% better than they were two months ago. And I have to imagine the water will go at some point.

christyran1228 10-27-2011 10:18 AM

I'll have to find the articles about what happens to the fat cells when I get home ... it makes a lot of sense when you read it. If you're continually working out you will lose fat, gain water, expel water, lose fat, gain water in an on going cycle. So as long as you're still losing fat pounds, you're doing a good job.

At my weigh-in today I lost 6lbs of fat, gained 3lbs of water and gained 1lb of muscle. Net loss was only 2 lbs, but they were very excited at the fat loss ... not so concerned about the water weight gain.

christyran1228 10-27-2011 10:22 AM

And I would definitely wait until the next weigh-in to see what happens. If you end up with a gain, something was wrong with the scale. If you have any kind of loss ... pat yourself on the back, because that's pretty amazing! lol :)