Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2011, 08:34 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MaraMom
Stats: 219.5/149.4/150 (5' 4")
WOE: Medi-weightloss
Start Date: July 25, 2011
What's with LETTUCE??

New here. Began week 2 yesterday. I have been following all directions from the clinic but this lettuce thing made me jump in here early to ask....

Do most of you really measure 1 cup of lettuce and give it the carbs of 5 and the calories of 25, when the nutritional info on the bins/bags/books say that 2.5 to 3 cups equal ~3 carbs and 25 cal.?

This doesn't make sense to me when I am supposed to be reading all labels to make sure that I go by what I read, but in this case I'm supposed to ignore it.

Didn't mean to start off with a question but I am so happy to have my salads and want to do this right. Anyone know what gives?

I will go over to the August thread soon but am enjoying reading thru the threads. I posted this seperately because I'm hoping someone sees it soon! Thx!!
MaraMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2011, 11:42 AM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JenniKo
Stats: 239/220/150
WOE: MEDI
Start Date: 7/6/2011
I go by the nutritional info on the bag. I'm not sure what everyone else does; but it makes more sense to me.

Jenni

ETA: Looks like we started around the same time! Good luck!
JenniKo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:32 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Thanks. That seems the obvious answer but when the NP was going over the 2nd week info she gave me the info about 1 cup salad being the same as 1/2 c cooked veggies on approved list. When I asked her about the measurement difference between salad and all the other vegt. she just looked at me and didn't say anything at all.

I'm leaning your way but it still seems like such an odd thing. You started 3 wks before me and I notice our goal wts are the same. I'm only 5'4" but early 50s so I went with something more realistic...though even that was scary. I wanted to put 165!
Old 08-04-2011, 06:15 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: irabeslim
Stats: 5'2" - 253/140/140
WOE: MWL
Start Date: January 21st, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaraMom View Post
Thanks. That seems the obvious answer but when the NP was going over the 2nd week info she gave me the info about 1 cup salad being the same as 1/2 c cooked veggies on approved list. When I asked her about the measurement difference between salad and all the other vegt. she just looked at me and didn't say anything at all.

I'm leaning your way but it still seems like such an odd thing. You started 3 wks before me and I notice our goal wts are the same. I'm only 5'4" but early 50s so I went with something more realistic...though even that was scary. I wanted to put 165!
I too had a question about lettuce and I was told to pack as much as I can in a cup and that's it.
irabeslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:18 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mary T8M
Stats: 5'2" 228/144/125 good-bye 150's
WOE: LC/LF/LCal (medi)
Start Date: 4/23/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by irabeslim View Post
I too had a question about lettuce and I was told to pack as much as I can in a cup and that's it.
My center said the same! They told me to STOP trying to add up all of the carbs, and fats separately, and to just use the food list. They wanted me to weigh, and measure from that, and said that I would be in the "ballpark" for carb or fat consumption. I only used the package when using things like packaged deli meats or cheeses.....I NEVER used it for veggies....IF the veggie was on the list I ATE it. The ONLY thing they wanted me adding up was protein calories (NOT fat), and they wanted me to measure my fluids......That's IT. They said too many people were becomming obsessive about everything else. IF you follow the chart of which protein sources are "low, Medium, high", weigh the food, and multiply by either 35 calories, 55, or 75. You'll be fine.......they also suggested that I start putting out what I thought was a serving, OR so many ounces, OR a teaspoon, or whatever.....THEN measure, or weigh it, so I could start to LEARN what a serving size really is. I know that is a concept I really had trouble with MY idea of 1/2C of cooked veggies was NOT reality!......NOW I'm much better at gauging then I used to be, but I've gone back to it again this week.......my "mental" measurments have gotten a bit "skewed" again

Mary T8M (Tatem)

New member of the 80 pounds gone club

Whether you think you can, or you can't, either way you're right!
Henry Ford

Last edited by Mary T8M; 08-04-2011 at 11:20 AM..
Mary T8M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 02:32 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Thank you for all your replies! Packing the lettuce makes more sense. For all other vegetables I am doing as you say, taking from the list, 1/2 c etc. Thanks again and love this site. OH...and thanks for the "search engine" info. Didn't know about it when I posted this question. Think I'll go hunt down a few more answers to other things!
Old 09-14-2011, 07:35 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Kandi1
Stats: 227/227/150
WOE: MWL
Start Date: will begin on 9/6/2011
I have been weighing my lettuce instead of packing it into a cup...according to the bag 2 cups equals 85grams....it is not as much as I was hoping it would be..lol
Kandi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 05:27 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jbjb93
Stats: 233/173.0/150
WOE: Medi-Weightloss
Start Date: Sept 2, 2011
I was told to either count the carbs or calories but no both. There is an equation for packaged food. Do you have it? I am out of town but can get it for you tomorrow night. Just post back!

And yes, I packed the lettuce. Found a great package of dark leafies!

Great ideas Mary! Super way to learn proper portions.
jbjb93 is offline   Reply With Quote