Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2011, 06:57 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Mama2Trips
Stats: Ht: 5'5" Wt: 213.2/199.4/150
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: July 8, 2011
Ketosis-Moderate? how to tell

Hi All-
I'm new to the Medi Weightloss program and this site (just started last Friday...today is Day 4). My name is Cindy, I'm 36 years old, married and have 2 1/2 year old triplets. I haven't updated my profile just yet but I started at 213.6 lbs..hoping to get around 150. That's just a random number I chose only because I haven't been there since I can't even remember (maybe junior high?). 1st day had a major headache but honestly since then I've felt pretty good. I've been following some of your tips for making it through the first week ..they have been so helpful.

Anyway I had a quick question about ketosis. I skimmed through the post from a few years back about ketosis and it didn't exactly answer my question. I saw someone post not to get too caught up on the color of the stick..that as long as it was greater than negative..then you were burning fat.

So at my clinic they said we aim for Moderate ketosis..she said dark pink. Okay..now I'm looking at the bottle of test strips and there are 6 boxes...1 is negative and the other 5 are various shades of pink-purple. This morning my color was somewhere b/w 15(1.5)+ and 40(4.0)++.....I'm taking that result as somewhat below moderate levels...but I'm not sure? Where the heck is Moderate on this bottle?

Thanks and looking forward to meeting you all and having success!
Mama2Trips is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2011, 08:39 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: guitarjg
Stats: 370/312.5/225
WOE: Medi Weight Loss Clinic
Start Date: 6/21/2011
My DR. told me not to worry about the level of ketosis. He said the only reason it gets darker is when you're dehydrated. As long as you're not negative that's good. Don't drink a lot of water for a day and you'll see that it will go dark purple, at least for me.

Who told you they want moderate? The dr or someone else?
guitarjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:23 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jodi A
Stats: 174/155/135
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: 3/29/2011; 8/11/2013 trying again with no Splenda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama2Trips View Post
Hi All-
I'm new to the Medi Weightloss program and this site (just started last Friday...today is Day 4). My name is Cindy, I'm 36 years old, married and have 2 1/2 year old triplets. I haven't updated my profile just yet but I started at 213.6 lbs..hoping to get around 150. That's just a random number I chose only because I haven't been there since I can't even remember (maybe junior high?). 1st day had a major headache but honestly since then I've felt pretty good. I've been following some of your tips for making it through the first week ..they have been so helpful.

Anyway I had a quick question about ketosis. I skimmed through the post from a few years back about ketosis and it didn't exactly answer my question. I saw someone post not to get too caught up on the color of the stick..that as long as it was greater than negative..then you were burning fat.

So at my clinic they said we aim for Moderate ketosis..she said dark pink. Okay..now I'm looking at the bottle of test strips and there are 6 boxes...1 is negative and the other 5 are various shades of pink-purple. This morning my color was somewhere b/w 15(1.5)+ and 40(4.0)++.....I'm taking that result as somewhat below moderate levels...but I'm not sure? Where the heck is Moderate on this bottle?

You want to be between 3 through 5. 1 and 2 are considered negative and 6 is really too high. Althought I was at 6 for the first 3 weeks even though I drank a ton of water.
Jodi A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 03:43 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mary T8M
Stats: 5'2" 228/144/125 good-bye 150's
WOE: LC/LF/LCal (medi)
Start Date: 4/23/10
Some people (my DH) NEVER show that they are in ketosis EVER (and he lost around 100 pounds)! Being in ketosis is like being pregnant.....either you are, or you aren't! Don't worry about the color too much and before too long you probably won't even check any more. MOST of the clinics make you pay for the "sticks" and much has been written about how they "go bad" quickly......especially if you keep them where you actually USE them....in the BATHROOM! So if you're following the plan, and have been in ketosis then suddenly one morning aren't.....don't panic........the sticks have probably been exposed to some moisture and can't "react" properly. Many people buy new ones (if they feel the need) from CVS or Walgreens instead of the clinic

Mary T8M (Tatem)

New member of the 80 pounds gone club

Whether you think you can, or you can't, either way you're right!
Henry Ford
Mary T8M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:23 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: pnmartino
Stats: 206/173/140
WOE: Medi Weight Loss Clinics
Start Date: March 2011
I was in ketosis at moderate for the first 6 to 8 weeks then started having trouble staying in. I check periodically and haven't been in it for the past several weeks, and I had bought new sticks. But, I still lose fat every week, usually two pounds of fat, last week it was four. I also know someone who never once went into ketosis and still lost all the weight she wanted to. So I just stay on plan, and don't worry too much about ketosis. I still check on occasion just to see. Good luck and I'm sure you'll do great!
pnmartino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:36 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Bre94
Stats: 5'7.5" 240/237.5/165
WOE: Wheat Free
Start Date: (restarting for the 3rd or 4th time) 11/15/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama2Trips View Post
Hi All-

That you can see printing on that bottle is amazing. I plan to ask at my 2-week weighin tonight exactly where I should be on that little chart. I want them to mark my bottle GOOD BAD range.
Bre94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 05:16 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Twisted Suze
Stats: 5'3"_220/183.5/150
WOE: Medi Weight Loss
Start Date: 04 Nov 2011
The MWL clinic I go to said as long as the little square on the strip changes color, that was enough.
I think I've been in borderline ketosis since I started 3 weeks ago this coming Friday.
Twisted Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:51 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MaraMom
Stats: 219.5/149.4/150 (5' 4")
WOE: Medi-weightloss
Start Date: July 25, 2011
I am almost always on the first box that is in ketosis...so #2? Rarely go to even # 3 and I lose weight just fine. I drink lots of water too.
MaraMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:30 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: VannishingGrl
Stats: 230
WOE: MWL
Start Date: Jan. 10, 2014
Hi Everyone. I'm Sharon from Massachusetts. I have been a voyeur on here for about a week getting lots of great info while I waited for my first apt. I'm very excited I'm 42 and have a good 60 lbs to loose. I always battled with it but since a recent hysterectomy its out of control. I swear I could feel my face getting fatter..lol So I'm on my second day and working on filling out the journal, but I'm not sure how to put in a protein shake? Am I using the true calorie count for the Kcal? Thanks for your help, you are all an inspiration!
VannishingGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 01:21 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: DiniRN
Stats: 236.2/222.5/160
Start Date: 12/16/2011
I haven't tested yet because I'm just on day 3, I'll probably test tomorrow but my clinic told me not to worry too much about it because lots of people don't even show they are in ketosis. But as long as the color was at least a tinge of pink/purple, I'm good. I think I'm already in ketosis, especially since I woke up today exhausted and I slept. Yesterday I got really dizzy when I was wrapping Christmas gifts and my DF said I got really pale. I think I just need to drink more water.
DiniRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:44 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Bre94
Stats: 5'7.5" 240/237.5/165
WOE: Wheat Free
Start Date: (restarting for the 3rd or 4th time) 11/15/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiniRN View Post
I haven't tested yet because I'm just on day 3, I'll probably test tomorrow but my clinic told me not to worry too much about it because lots of people don't even show they are in ketosis. But as long as the color was at least a tinge of pink/purple, I'm good. I think I'm already in ketosis, especially since I woke up today exhausted and I slept. Yesterday I got really dizzy when I was wrapping Christmas gifts and my DF said I got really pale. I think I just need to drink more water.
I tested the day before I started the plan and again the 4th day as instructed. Tested daily for about a week and the color never changed (2nd spot from left). When I inquired at the clinic, I was told that some people don't change and most likely I drink alot of water. I do, I crave water and I know right away when I haven't had enough. I probably drink more than a gallon on a normal day. Just sayin

Bre
Bre94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 11:44 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: DiniRN
Stats: 236.2/222.5/160
Start Date: 12/16/2011
Yeah, I was also told some people just don't show it but there are plenty of symptoms to look out for. I did test starting day 4 and have been at the second to last color the whole time. Now to see if being out of week 1 and eating some veggies and limited carbs will kick me out...I hope not.

It could be your strips too, they don't last long.
DiniRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:48 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: craze4life08
Stats: 250/250/165
WOE: Medi
Start Date: 12/12/11
I alternate from the second color and the third.. It's so confusing.
craze4life08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:45 PM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dccc
When I told the Clinic I was Moderate they said that's great. The colors are on the side of the container (jar). I range from the color named Small, the next one called Moderate.
dccc is offline   Reply With Quote