Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2011, 06:27 AM   #91
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JenniKo
Stats: 239/220/150
WOE: MEDI
Start Date: 7/6/2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary T8M View Post
JenniKo,
OK so let me apologize right up front, because I'm PRETTY sure I'm going to step on toes (once again)......Medi weightloss is NOT for everyone.....BUT if you stick with the program you WILL lose weight, and you can lose a LOT of weight! So far I'm down almost 85 pounds, my DH is down about 100, and several people who post here regularly have lost around 100+ pounds (Desert-Rose, Irabeslim, Mommy2princesses).....then of course there is Jerome who lost 300 pounds on medi! To answer your question:
I like Sherrys suggestion of the ricotta cheese....just be sure to weigh and measure! I also like the Medi Gummies Recipe that is posted on the snack thread! They are ALL protein, IF I remember!

In case your clinic didn't tell you... originally Medi was started for morbidly obease clients who NEEDED to lose weight QUICKLY (before they had a stroke, or heart attack and DIED) So AT FIRST clinics ONLY took people with a certain BMI or higher, or had some urgent medical need. They wanted to get people into a better BMI, better lab values, better EKG, etc as FAST as possible, so YES the plan is VERY restrictive.....it is NOT Weight Watchers! Like I said it's NOT for everybody, and that's OK!

One of the reasons they restrict you so much is sort of a DETOX......to get you so you AREN'T craving the high carb foods that were in many ways CONTROLING your life......I know I was thinking about food ALL the time (pre medi)......I'd be thinking about lunch WHILE I was still finishing my morning coffee, and thinking about a snack AT lunch, or what "sounded" good for dinner, while I was preparing my lunch.....commercials "taunted" me. Going to a restaurant was torture because I wanted EVERYTHING.....there were so many choices I couldn't decide! THEN when I'd eat, I'd eat super FAST (I still do) and keep packing it in until I was STUFFED.......by the time I KNEW I was full I felt almost sick! Well, no more!

I would suggest (and PLEASE take this with the friendship, and support in which I'm saying it) don't look for a way around the rules, this plan WORKS.....follow it, and give it a chance. IF after a month or two, you hate it, no harm done, and you can go back to WW. I'd also suggest that unless your clinic says (or it's written in some handout from the clinic) it's OK to eat something sweet (like SF Jello), (especially at the beginning) I'd try my dardest to ONLY eat what they say, or what is posted on OUR recipe boards. BE SURE to COUNT it towards your calorie counts. Staying away from sweets all together will help "reset" you taste buds so that things like apples, or berries taste GREAT! Sometimes having a "FRANKINfood" only makes the cravings more!

Someone on the main LCF board has a signature something like this and IMHO it says it all:
Staying on plan is hard, and being FAT is hard. Pick your HARD

Keep posting and checking in here.....as well as reading old threads......they are a WEALTH of info (you might even run across the last time I "stepped on toes" about sticking to the plan....it was probably in the February thread.....and I wouldn't change a word!
Thanks Mary. Definitely not stepping on toes; I appreciate your candor.

Jenni

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2011, 03:57 PM   #92
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mary T8M
Stats: 5'2" 228/144/125 good-bye 150's
WOE: LC/LF/LCal (medi)
Start Date: 4/23/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniKo View Post
Thanks Mary. Definitely not stepping on toes; I appreciate your candor.

Jenni
Jenni....Good I'm SO glad I didn't! BTW Jenni, and Sherri where in AL do you live? I used to live in Van Cleave, Ms and had to drive (through the back woods) to Mobile to shop at Target, and other stores in the "big City"! I heard a GREAT speaker once (probably 10 yrs ago) tell us he was from L.A.........(lower Alabama), and that he went "up north" once.....all the way to Birmingham!!! LOVED listening to him tell his stories!
Old 07-17-2011, 05:58 PM   #93
Junior LCF Member

Mary, I'm in Mobile.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:12 PM   #94
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: suthrn grl
Stats: 170.8/139/140 (Made goal 6-25-11)
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: January 5, 2011
I am in Brewton, AL...which is about 1 1/2 hours north of Mobile. My DD is in college in Mobile so I am down there quite often.

Last edited by suthrn grl; 07-17-2011 at 07:14 PM..
Old 07-18-2011, 03:13 AM   #95
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: marverboston
Stats: 180
WOE: medi
Start Date: restart 2/24/14
Quote:
Happy Saturday!

While I'm getting into the swing of medi-life, I do find myself getting royally ticked I can't have ice cream or chocolate. I haven't cheated but I find I am really missing chocolate. Anyone have any suggestions to help with my chocolate cravings? I've found some recipes in the recipe section I'm going to try; I'm really looking for more suggestions as how to deal with knowing I'm limited in what I eat. Does that make sense?
I really want to succeed on this diet, but even when on WW, I could eat something every now & then that wouldn't throw my entire diet off. This is definitely more restrictive. Thanks!
I used to really love love chocolate but, like mary posted stick to the plan. Please try the sf jello it really helped me with my sugar cravings when I started and it helped then and, still today. This really is a change for the better and a healthy way of life, hang in there we are all here to support and guide and some of the people here have loads more experience than me and they have always helped me through those trying days. Keep posting..

Cathy
Old 07-18-2011, 06:43 AM   #96
Major LCF Poster!

My 'NEW" favorite (Thanks again Cathy) is Greek yogurt mixed with liquid Splenda, PB2, and SF chocolate syrup. It tastes JUST like a peanut butter cup.....depending on how much sweetner you add. It "fixes" my chocolate craving, but more importantly for me it fixes my craving for PEANUT BUTTER!
Old 07-18-2011, 09:13 AM   #97
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary T8M View Post
My 'NEW" favorite (Thanks again Cathy) is Greek yogurt mixed with liquid Splenda, PB2, and SF chocolate syrup. It tastes JUST like a peanut butter cup.....depending on how much sweetner you add. It "fixes" my chocolate craving, but more importantly for me it fixes my craving for PEANUT BUTTER!
I have the SF jello which certainly helped my sweet tooth. I also tried greek yogurt mixed SF chocolate syrup last night. I didn't add the Splenda; I bet it tastes much better that way!

I'm going to try & make the almond cookies that are on the medi website & also the cheesecake bites recipe that is posted here.

I'd like to say I'm not trying to "cheat" anywhere on this diet, b/c Lord knows that's why I'm on medi. I needed suggestions for something to replace the regular chocolate I so dearly love. I have ordered the Walden Farms chocolate syrup, so we'll see how that goes. If I can find something that is medi-friendly & tasty then having a tsp a day on something will be enough to satisfy the craving.

Thanks ya'll!

Jenni
Old 07-18-2011, 09:20 AM   #98
Junior LCF Member

Sorry to post again but I have a question.

Kind of personal but...you've been warned.

Does anyone take a Krill oil supplement and uh, have any intestinal issues, such as what happens if you take Alli and eat too much fat? :blush:
Old 07-18-2011, 08:51 PM   #99
Major LCF Poster!

For the past couple of weeks I've been battling what I thought was a pulled muscle or "something" in/on my upper back.....well turns out it was the beginning of SHINGLES! . It then progressed to being what we thought MUST be insect bites on my back, several red welts (I'm quite allergic to bites/stings) but these didn't itch.....they didn't really even feel like anything at first, other than the deep feeling of a strained muscle.......well that's all changed, and now the discomfort is really getting to me! Now my whole right side hurts, even when I talk. I haven't been able to go to the gym as much, am NOT sleeping well, and have a general YUCK feeling! Not really fishing for sympathy.....just venting

Mary T8M (Tatem)

New member of the 80 pounds gone club

Whether you think you can, or you can't, either way you're right!
Henry Ford
Old 07-19-2011, 10:24 AM   #100
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: losing in Ftm
Stats: restart Apr 2012
WOE: Medi
Start Date: 5/5/10
For the past couple of weeks I've been battling what I thought was a pulled muscle or "something" in/on my upper back.....well turns out it was the beginning of SHINGLES
Oh Mary I am so sorry to hear this. I haven't had them before but having nursed several members of my family through it, you have my sympathies. You'll be in my prayers.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:38 PM   #101
Junior LCF Member

Mary, shingles hurt! I'm sorry you are dealing with them! I hope they go away quickly & you feel better soon.

2nd week weigh in: 5 lbs! I've lost a total of 12 lbs. in 2 weeks! Woot!
Old 07-19-2011, 09:49 PM   #102
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ferrarimomof3
Stats: 226.6/125/125.6
WOE: Medi- short maintenance phase
Start Date: 1/11/11
Hello JenniKo and Suthrn girl,

I am in Mobile and been on the plan since Jan. 11. I went for my weigh in today at 28 weeks and I am down 80.4lbs. I am glad that I found y'all on here. This is a great board. I have found a lot of support here.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:21 AM   #103
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Mary, shingles hurt! I'm sorry you are dealing with them! I hope they go away quickly & you feel better soon.

Congrats. Keep on keeping on

Cathy
Old 07-20-2011, 03:46 AM   #104
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: suthrn grl
Stats: 170.8/139/140 (Made goal 6-25-11)
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: January 5, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarimomof3 View Post

I am in Mobile and been on the plan since Jan. 11. I went for my weigh in today at 28 weeks and I am down 80.4lbs. I am glad that I found y'all on here. This is a great board. I have found a lot of support here.
Hi ferrarimomof3
Wow!! what SUPER progress!! Way to go!
Lotta good information here. Have a great day!
Old 07-20-2011, 04:03 AM   #105
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Swirveegrl
Stats: 5'4" 215.8/149.8/145
WOE: 50 carbs/day
Start Date: 2/3/11
SORRY MARY!!!!! Drink your water, I'm assuming your on pain meds!??!
Old 07-20-2011, 04:49 AM   #106
Senior LCF Member

Mary,
Shingles hurt. I hope you get to feeling better soon.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:31 AM   #107
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Congratulations!!!!
Old 07-21-2011, 06:59 AM   #108
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: betty_going_85
Stats: 250/192.4/150 restart 236/222.6/150
WOE: Medi Weight Loss
Start Date: December 2010/ 9/9/2013
Quote:

Your results are amazing. Congrats and you are almost at your goal. I'm sure you are very proud of yourself.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:29 AM   #109
Senior LCF Member

Where's all the talk?

Hi all... pretty dead here on the MEDI board.. I'm hoping summer vacations are to blame! It's been killer heat here in Richmond, VA these last few weeks. It makes it very difficult for me to leave the house to even go to the gym, or feel like exercising period! Which is what I really NEED to do right now, since it seems I'm at a plateau! What are all of you doing to keep your motivation? Any tips on plateau busting would be HIGHLY appreciated!
On a side note.. I've been seen by a different NP the last 2 visits. I honestly don't like her. She hasn't treated me poorly, but I just don't feel motivated when I leave after seeing her. She doesn't review my food journal, even though I am brining it to be REVIEWED. She also seems very phoney to me. She does MEDI as part-time work, and I really question her belief in the program. So my question is, how do I not see her anymore, without seeming like a B@%!*
Old 07-24-2011, 09:09 AM   #110
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: plumtree
Stats: 5' 9" 229/173/160
Start Date: March 2011
NP's

Same here Swirvee. Two really great NP's at my clinic and two others who are completely disinterested and, as you said, phony. So about a month ago I started asking for one of the two that I think are good when I check in. The clinic didn't seem to have any problem with it and I find that seeing someone who really pays attention to my journal and makes helpful suggestions can make a huge difference in how motivated I feel when I leave.

So I say - just go ahead and request one of the NP's that you like working with when you check in. You're paying the clinic plenty of money and they shouldn't have any problem with honoring your request.

Good luck with the heat wave - hope it cools down soon for all of us!
Old 07-24-2011, 12:15 PM   #111
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: losing in Ftm
Stats: restart Apr 2012
Start Date: 5/5/10
I just had to comment on how weird it is to think that being in the southern tip of Florida in July is actually one of the cooler parts of the country! I'm sorry the rest of the country is so miserably hot and I hope it breaks soon.
In the meantime see if you can find a place with A/C to workout. I remember years ago when I lived up north that the enclosed malls would let you in to walk a hour or two before they opened. Do they still do that? Almost all of our malls here are opened air.
I have also joined different fitness centers for a "month" trial when I have been away from home for a extended trip for work.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:04 AM   #112
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by losing in Ftm View Post
I just had to comment on how weird it is to think that being in the southern tip of Florida in July is actually one of the cooler parts of the country! I'm sorry the rest of the country is so miserably hot and I hope it breaks soon.
In the meantime see if you can find a place with A/C to workout. I remember years ago when I lived up north that the enclosed malls would let you in to walk a hour or two before they opened. Do they still do that? Almost all of our malls here are opened air.
I have also joined different fitness centers for a "month" trial when I have been away from home for a extended trip for work.
We have a mall just a couple of miles from our home that you can walk around before the stores open, it is great in the winter they open at 7am. I do go with my mom (in the winter season) and met my dad who gets there so early to be with his old buddies.
Now I have found that doing Jillian Michales dvd's are really helping me shape up. I have the 30day shred and her 6 week abs. My kids think I have lost my mind doing these but, I have been mixing them up and loving them! It really gives you a sweaty workout. I would love to hear what others on the Medi board are doing for workouts! I do have to push myself early in the am to get these workouts in.
Have a good day.
Cathy
Old 07-25-2011, 05:58 AM   #113
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mccosby
Stats: 218/146/150
WOE: medi weightloss
Start Date: August 2010
I've only posted a handful of times, but I read a lot. Today's my birthday - it's been about 11 months since I started Medi. I lost 76 pounds and feel great - now in wellness. I loved loved loved this program - the best thing that ever happened to me (besides my husband and kids of course).

About a month in I started exercising. I try to do two strength training days a week, and 2-3 cardio days a week. I have two little kids (2 and 3) and a full time job, so that's all I can realistically fit it. For strength training, I was doing this class at the gym called "Body Pump". Loved it - can't say enough good things. Once I hit goal, however, I "rewarded" myself with a personal trainer twice a week for 24 sessions. It's been really good, I've learned a lot (he's even helped with nutrition type information now that I am in wellness). Almost done with it - I think I'll continue once a week and go back to Body Pump the other day. The trainer is expensive.

For cardio, I started by walking on the treadmill. Then I added some running intervals and also started taking aerobics classes at the gym. I love the classes, and still try to run once a week. I've done 3 5ks this year - finished all of them in under 30 minutes (28:53 for the last one!).
Old 07-25-2011, 06:22 AM   #114
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for all of the lovely ideas for keeping fit! 1 of the many reasons I love this board! All of your hard work keeps me motivated, and makes me believe that I CAN reach MY goal! Thanks again!!!
Old 07-25-2011, 11:17 AM   #115
Senior LCF Member

Rachel- You can definitely reach your goal. Just keep pushing forward.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:30 AM   #116
Senior LCF Member

Hey everyone,

I have a question. I have increased my exercise which consists of walking briskly for anywhere from an hour to an hour and a half a day. It is usually 3 to 5 miles. I usually try to do this in the morning before I eat anything. And then I try to go do run walk intervals for about a mile and a half in the afternoons. I usually do this 5 to 6 times a week. I just started doing it this much this week. I asked the doctor last week and he told me to eat a protein bar before exercise ( one of medi's or something else). But, to make sure it was around 140 calories and at least 20% protein. He also told me to drink an EAS shake when I got through exercising. He told me this because I told him I was going to increase my exercise and asked if I should increase my protein from the 500 to 600 calories he has me on. I must admit that I am confused as to if these two instructions were in addition to my other calorie or just something to help with muscle recovery. I am getting discouraged because I checked my weight this morning and I have not lost any weight. I think I have gained. I am trying to tell myself that it is muscle and water. What do y'all think? I am going to the clinic every two weeks due to having to take all 3 kids with me. I am trying to stay positive but it is hard. I am a little over 18lbs from goal. I know that I have to incorporate exercise in order to make it to goal. Any suggestions about how much protein or other protein bars would be great. I also checked ketosis this morning and it says that I am not in ketosis, which really scares me. Right now I am using half of a Pure Protein bar and I am also not eating it until I come back. This is because I have always been told by trainers that you get the best calorie burn by exercising straight out of bed before you eat. Thanks for letting me ramble.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:08 PM   #117
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hey everyone,

I have a question. I have increased my exercise which consists of walking briskly for anywhere from an hour to an hour and a half a day. It is usually 3 to 5 miles. I usually try to do this in the morning before I eat anything. And then I try to go do run walk intervals for about a mile and a half in the afternoons. I usually do this 5 to 6 times a week. I just started doing it this much this week. I asked the doctor last week and he told me to eat a protein bar before exercise ( one of medi's or something else). But, to make sure it was around 140 calories and at least 20% protein. He also told me to drink an EAS shake when I got through exercising. He told me this because I told him I was going to increase my exercise and asked if I should increase my protein from the 500 to 600 calories he has me on. I must admit that I am confused as to if these two instructions were in addition to my other calorie or just something to help with muscle recovery. I am getting discouraged because I checked my weight this morning and I have not lost any weight. I think I have gained. I am trying to tell myself that it is muscle and water. What do y'all think? I am going to the clinic every two weeks due to having to take all 3 kids with me. I am trying to stay positive but it is hard. I am a little over 18lbs from goal. I know that I have to incorporate exercise in order to make it to goal. Any suggestions about how much protein or other protein bars would be great. I also checked ketosis this morning and it says that I am not in ketosis, which really scares me. Right now I am using half of a Pure Protein bar and I am also not eating it until I come back. This is because I have always been told by trainers that you get the best calorie burn by exercising straight out of bed before you eat. Thanks for letting me ramble.
Ramble on, I was reading this and feel your pain and confusion. I will say that Iam doing Medi without the clinc. I started there and just could not keep up the cost. So back to the exercise and the scale not moving in the right direction. Iam having the same issue. I stay around 550-600 cals per day. I have not added calories to my day I exercise. I do not know the deal. (I do not weigh myself daily) That being said I don't want to add calories that I do not need. I do not feel like Iam weak or faint, I drink 4 liters of water and keep all my meals protein. I feel like something has to give soon. It is hard to keep going when you are not seeing the numbers go down on the scale.
I do feel the best I have in years and that is because of the Medi way of eating for life not just a diet to drop some pounds, but I would love some advice on exercise and eating more calories. Now there I feel like Iam the rambler! Iam not an expert so all of you veterans out there please help. It has been over 3 weeks since the scale has moved up or down.

Thanks so kindly
Cathy
Old 07-25-2011, 12:49 PM   #118
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for replying Cathy. I, too feel the best I have in years and the smallest I have been in 14 years at least. This is definitely a way of life for me and my family. I am ready to move onto the maintenance stage and start learning it. Another thing is I wasn't sure if he also increased my protein because I am losing my hair by the handful.

Good luck on your scale moving soon- Cathy.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:00 PM   #119
Senior LCF Member

Ok. I am full of questions today. Has anyone seen a slow down in loss when they drink coffee? I started drinking about 4 to 6 cups a day. Most of the time it has 1 to 2 packs of appends (1 to 2 garbs) and a tbsp of International coffee creamer sugar free ( 1 carb ). I only get carbs other carbs usually from protein bar and 2 cups spinach (raw). I don’t think that puts me over my 200 allowed carbs a day. Any advice?
Old 07-25-2011, 01:11 PM   #120
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: guitarjg
Stats: 370/312.5/225
WOE: Medi Weight Loss Clinic
Start Date: 6/21/2011
I've been insanely hungry lately. 5th full week of the diet, 3rd full week on Phendimetrizine. I started on the Phentermine.

Do they increase doses? Or do they just switch you back and forth between the meds?
Closed Thread