Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2011, 09:46 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: richmanlopez
very low calorie diet and metabolism?

I dropped off the face of the earth and fell way off track. I gained too much weight and am ready for a serious change. What do you say to those who would say that doing a very low calorie meal plan like this will put me in starvation mode and slow my metabolism down and take my lean muscle? Is this program doable to keep the weight off in a normal caloric manner? I had been talked out of doing Medi but find after many other weightloss program that it was the only one that put me in the right direction with the focus off food. My depression had me numbing myself away with food. Medi was the only program that gave me results. Was your metabolisim affected once you started maintaning your desired weight? I need support since I feel so lost. Please share.
richmanlopez is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2011, 07:09 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mary T8M
Stats: 5'2" 228/144/125 good-bye 150's
WOE: LC/LF/LCal (medi)
Start Date: 4/23/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by richmanlopez View Post
I dropped off the face of the earth and fell way off track. I gained too much weight and am ready for a serious change. What do you say to those who would say that doing a very low calorie meal plan like this will put me in starvation mode and slow my metabolism down and take my lean muscle? Is this program doable to keep the weight off in a normal caloric manner? I had been talked out of doing Medi but find after many other weightloss program that it was the only one that put me in the right direction with the focus off food. My depression had me numbing myself away with food. Medi was the only program that gave me results. Was your metabolisim affected once you started maintaning your desired weight? I need support since I feel so lost. Please share.
I'd suggest you schedule a FREE consult with a clinic near you (I've heard that SOME are even offering $$$ off coupons)

That said this is a medically supervised weightloss program, where once you have had your blood work done (and maybe even an EKG) you speak with an MD or Nurse Practitioner (or both). Some clinics will take on new patients as long as they have the $$$ for the program, BUT others (like the one I went to) require that you are more than a certain BMI, or have medical risks that warrant a drastic, quit weightloss. From what we were told THIS is the reason this program was started.... to rapidly get people out of the high risk zone using LOW CALORIE, LOW CARB, LOW FAT. My DH had a multitude of medical risks (high BP even on BP meds, borderline diabetic, heart disease with 3 stents, severe back pain) and needed to lose over 120 pounds. I didn't have any specific medical risks, but also wanted to lose 100 pounds.

You will be given a calorie range that will keep you out of the starvation mode, as long as you make sure you get ALL of those calories in protein.......they also usually prescribe (if it is medically OK for you to use) an appetite suppressant, as well as other supplements, and they tell you when and how many to take. The first week is rough since it is designed to detox your body. You will be eating ONLY low fat protein......NO veggies, nuts etc then after that you add back fruit, nuts, and veggies.

IT MUST be noted (and this is the part that MANY people forget) this is NOT, I repeat NOT the eating plan you will be on forever.......this is called the acute phase, and once you get near goal, you will transition into the plan you will follow from then on......at that point you will add back carbs (it's kind of trial and error to see what you personally can add back without gaining.....for example some people can add back oatmeal, some cannot)

My DH has lost about 100 pounds and has easily kept it off, and is now working to get rid of the rest (as am I) He now have the best BP he has EVER had, his blood work is PERFECT, and his regular DR doesn't want to see him for a year (previously he wanted to see him AT LEAST every 3 months) We have started running and just finished our first 5K....his back pain has pretty much resolved BTW my DH will be 61 in July

Mary T8M (Tatem)

New member of the 80 pounds gone club

Whether you think you can, or you can't, either way you're right!
Henry Ford

Last edited by Mary T8M; 06-15-2011 at 07:11 AM..
Mary T8M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 06:19 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jodi A
Stats: 174/155/135
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: 3/29/2011; 8/11/2013 trying again with no Splenda
Quote:
Originally Posted by richmanlopez View Post
Don't let people talk you out of doing this if it is what you really want. Prior to starting this in March of this year I too would have been skeptical of a low calorie program like this. But I ended up getting a Groupon that made the initial consult more than half off and also included a free follow up visit and 10 free B12 shots. I felt like it was worth a try. I am so glad I did. I have so much more energy now and I am wearing almost all the clothes I was able to wear before I gained a much of weight. This program makes you think about EVERYTHING you eat. It sounds like you've tried it before, were you successful at it?

Regarding metabolism. I think most of us have screwed that up so bad over the years with yo-yo dieting. But any program that has a Maintenance and Wellness Phase means that they are there for you not only when you are lossing but after you have lost.

I stopped telling people about the plan because I was tired of the skeptics.
Jodi A is offline   Reply With Quote