Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Medi Weightloss (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/medi-weightloss/)
-   -   Colon Cleanser (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/medi-weightloss/722981-colon-cleanser.html)

secret_smile85 05-27-2011 04:26 PM

Colon Cleanser

Hi, I am a newby, I'm on my second week but still on protein only since I'm out of ketosis. They also have me taking their colon cleanser. 1 per night at dinner time. It's not doing anything. They told me I may need a stronger colon cleanser because they believe their is a blockage in my intestines, but then didn't give me the name of others to try. Does anyone else have suggestions of colon cleansers that may work better or that are stronger? Thanks so much.

StyngerIsAScorpio 05-27-2011 05:51 PM

Hi :)
If anyone thinks you have a blockage in your colon that is a medical emergency, not something that should ever be treated with a colon cleanser. If you are having serious bowel issues, see your medical doctor and no one else. I'm an RN and have worked in Gastroenterology. Be careful and get yourself checked.

secret_smile85 05-27-2011 06:26 PM

They told me that since I am still having some diarrhea that it wasn't an emergency and to find a stronger cleanser. Is this not a good idea? My sister has crohn's so I try to be careful. They told me since my fat went down but my FFM went up 3 lbs that my body wasn't eliminating it right and thus their reason for thinking i'm blocked. Thanks for your help and I'm sorry for the tmi.

StyngerIsAScorpio 05-28-2011 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by secret_smile85 (Post 14688432)
They told me that since I am still having some diarrhea that it wasn't an emergency and to find a stronger cleanser. Is this not a good idea? My sister has crohn's so I try to be careful. They told me since my fat went down but my FFM went up 3 lbs that my body wasn't eliminating it right and thus their reason for thinking i'm blocked. Thanks for your help and I'm sorry for the tmi.

Who is the 'they' that are telling you this?
It's true that even if you have diarrhea you can have very firm or hard stool in your system but the concept of the colon cleanse is something you need to be careful about.
Everyone's elimination is different but no one but a doctor can diagnose a bowel blockage.
If you want to help yourself, try some ground flax in your intake with plenty of water, some magnesium supplements, etc. There are MANY posts here that discuss constipation.
I get very leery of any persons or plan that impersonate true medical professionals and your gastro system is far too important to trust to anyone untrained.
Do you have a history of problems?
Have you seen a doctor or is this just part of your eating or lifestyle plan?
What plan are you on? Is the Medi in your avi Medifast? I'm just curious.

secret_smile85 05-28-2011 06:36 AM

I'm on the medi weight loss plan and I'm going to their clinic. It was the medi doctor that told me that. I've had issues with diarrhea for a while but i thought it was caused by eating dairy (i'm lactose intolerant) and beef (I've had problems with it since i had my last baby a year ago). I'm now not intaking either of those two things but I'm still having the problem. My old gp thought maybe I had celiacs and was wanting me to get tested before my last pregnancy, but I'm completely gluten free right now, so that also shouldn't be an issue either. The thing is I don't FEEL like I'm constipated.

Jodi A 05-28-2011 07:47 AM

Secret Smile: You are doing what you need to do. The Medi Weightloss Clinic's doctors are just that. They are doctors. Thats is why I like this diet plan over the others that you just end up doing on your own. Don't be afraid to call them and talk to them about your situation if something comes up in between your weekly visits.

StyngerIsAScorpio 05-29-2011 10:20 AM

Thank you for clearing that up, but as an RN, if they are using the term "intestinal blockage" that is a medical emergency. If you check, on the label of every laxative or stool softener it clearly states to discontinue use if there is no bowel activity within a time frame or if there is a case of any blockage.
I don't know any MD or DO who would recommend anything but diagnostics for a suspected bowel blockage. If he means you have a sluggish or lazy gut, that is a different thing. The word blockage = medical situation. That is just common medical practice.
Also, in cases of impaction, which can be a very serious med problem, loose or liquid stool can exit the bowel, out around it and appear to be a case of diarrhea.
I just want you to be thorough and careful. None of this is unimportant and your health is the priority.

minimonkey 05-29-2011 03:35 PM

I had that happen -- chronic diarrhea, that turned out to be the result of an impaction (I didn't feel constipated either... but later discovered I had terrible constipation, masked totally by the diarrhea). Be super careful about any colon cleansers that are fiber based -- they can result in a total blockage of the intestine -- that IS an emergency. Stynger is right that it is good idea to have this checked and get a second opinion.

This is not medical advice, just my own personal experience: I like the Oxygen Based colon cleansers (OxyPowder, and similar products) -- they dissolve the matter in the gut, rather than pushing it out with fiber, or causing a lot of peristalsis.

I didn't have the resources to get proper treatment when my gut was so bad, so I self-treated based on a lot of research. It was very risky, and I was quite fortunate that I was able to heal it myself.

tuesdaygirl 06-02-2011 11:15 AM

I very much like the grandmas herbs colon cleanser and tonic (google it) - I use that instead of the one provided by medi. It is herbal and non-habit forming, along with their super lax - I've used both intermittently for about 10 years. However, if you continue to have issues, I would definitely see your regular doctor. You don't want to mess around with your digestive system!

Mary T8M 06-02-2011 05:36 PM

I'm also an RN, and worked for Gastrointerologists. We had a whole big discussion on this very subject a while back. You might do a search, but what it amounted to was checking out magnesium in place of the colon cleanse from the center. It's much cheaper, and is what the majority of preps are for colonoscopies, as well as the main ingredient in Milk of Magnesia, Epsom Salts, Miralax, and many more. Do a google search for magnesium, and you'll see how safe it is to use. The sign that you are overdoing it is diarrhea, so you can titrate it to your own needs

irabeslim 06-08-2011 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mary T8M (Post 14704949)
I'm also an RN, and worked for Gastrointerologists. We had a whole big discussion on this very subject a while back. You might do a search, but what it amounted to was checking out magnesium in place of the colon cleanse from the center. It's much cheaper, and is what the majority of preps are for colonoscopies, as well as the main ingredient in Milk of Magnesia, Epsom Salts, Miralax, and many more. Do a google search for magnesium, and you'll see how safe it is to use. The sign that you are overdoing it is diarrhea, so you can titrate it to your own needs

Mary, how fast one should expect for magnesium to start working? I took like 500 mg or more and nothing, just lots of gas. Then I stopped. May be I should have taken it for a few days to see the result?

Mary T8M 06-09-2011 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irabeslim (Post 14723115)
Mary, how fast one should expect for magnesium to start working? I took like 500 mg or more and nothing, just lots of gas. Then I stopped. May be I should have taken it for a few days to see the result?

honestly I've been taking it for so long I don't remember, but since this isn't a laxative per se, and is also a very necessary mineral in your body (ie: heart function) I'd guess it would probably take several days to "work".....then you might need to increase or decrease to find what YOUR maintenance dose is