Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2011, 11:46 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: amy1915
Stats: 230/230/130
WOE: Medi Weight Loss
Start Date: Started Over 9/2012 after 76lb loss in 2010.
Back in the Saddle...Again

Hey Everyone
I had a really great year last year with Medi. 6 months of consistent losses. I didn't hit my goal weight but went from a size 20 to a size 4 so I was looking and feeling great! Then I had a hip injury and things went south. I gained about 20 lbs and have been trying for months to get back into ketosis which they told me at my clinic is even more difficult once you've left and then come back. I'm not giving up though. I am eating all protein and even eliminating dairy until I can get back into ketosis...assuming that's possible.
So that's my question...
Has anyone else gone off plan, gained and then come back for another try? Were you able to get back into ketosis right away or was it more difficult?

I'm also concerned about the possibility that I may have a hormonal imbalance which is sabotaging my efforts...so if anyone has any advice or experience with that I'd love to read about it.
Thanks!
amy1915 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2011, 07:53 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: slbpl61
Stats: 5'8" 206/203/165
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 08/16/2013 Restart
Amy,

Congrats on the amazing success you have had! I am where you are. I was so close to my goal but managed to maintain my loss for over a year. Then 10 pounds have slowly crept on and I have been back to Medi but can't seem to make any progress. I hate to spend more each week until I can get refocused. I don't mind paying when I am losing.

My husband was out of town for a week and I did Week 1 after regaining the 3 pounds I lost after attempting Week 1 a few weeks before that. Ugh....it has been so hard!!!! I just stopped thinking about everything and have tried to eat balanced meals until I can figure out what to do next. I'm around 180-183 and have been as low as 169. I'd give anything to be there again but would ultimately like to be about 160-165. Not sure my body will let me get to anything lower.

Been reading about some of the other low carb plans and the Dukan diet is getting alot of press these days. Have you tried anything else?
Old 05-18-2011, 09:57 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: irabeslim
Stats: 5'2" - 253/140/140
WOE: MWL
Start Date: January 21st, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by amy1915 View Post
Hey Everyone
I had a really great year last year with Medi. 6 months of consistent losses. I didn't hit my goal weight but went from a size 20 to a size 4 so I was looking and feeling great! Then I had a hip injury and things went south. I gained about 20 lbs and have been trying for months to get back into ketosis which they told me at my clinic is even more difficult once you've left and then come back. I'm not giving up though. I am eating all protein and even eliminating dairy until I can get back into ketosis...assuming that's possible.
So that's my question...
Has anyone else gone off plan, gained and then come back for another try? Were you able to get back into ketosis right away or was it more difficult?

I'm also concerned about the possibility that I may have a hormonal imbalance which is sabotaging my efforts...so if anyone has any advice or experience with that I'd love to read about it.
Thanks!
I have reached my goal in October 2010 (lost 113 lb) and had trouble maintaining it, going up and down constantly but always returning to my weight. Then I had a food surgery, could not exercised and gained about 15 lb. Went back to the clinic and did very strict week 1, lost 8 lb, 4 lb of fat but no ketosis. Such a difficult thing to do - do not want to do it again. So it is true that 2nd time around it is more difficult. I am still above my goal weight and struggle, even regained some of those 8 lb. I came to conclusion that there is no point of trying to get into ketosis if you need to lose 10-15 lb. I am just trying to eat in such a way so that there is a calorie deficit (I am allowed at rest 1400 cal) so I eat 1200 and exercise I will lose these pounds eventually. It will just take more time. After all, tons of people lose weight on Weight Watchers and their new points plus program encourages low carb kind of eating.

"Nothing tastes better than thin feels"
-------------------
Was in wellness!
Restart on 04/05/11 to lose 15 gained lb
253/148/140
irabeslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:57 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: slbpl61
Stats: 5'8" 206/203/165
Start Date: 08/16/2013 Restart
Irina, did you mean 'foot' surgery instead of 'food' surgery?? LOL I'm with you re: ketosis. I was able to get to trace-small but no further. Counting calories and exercising more is tried and true but b/c of my success with Medi, what I choose for those calories now is more beneficial than I would I chosen prior to Medi. Because of my new outlook, I am making an awesome chef's salad today for lunch. And I've had 2 bacon strips for breakfast this morning. The past few days have included cereal, sandwiches and fruit and I've been so bloated. Keeping those things in moderation for me (like 1x/week or so) helps alot.
slbpl61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:03 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kbhayward
Stats: 193/165.5/150
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: restart 3/30/12
I am in the same boat also! I have been going back to the clinic and still not losing the same way I did previously. I am at a point where I can't afford to keep going for such little results. Since I am a teacher, I have more time during the summers and I keep telling myself that in three weeks, I will have more time to exercise. It is just so frustrating.
kbhayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:48 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: losing in Ftm
Stats: restart Apr 2012
WOE: Medi
Start Date: 5/5/10
Count me in this boat too. I struggled for almost 2 1/2 months with the same 10-15 lbs. So I decided to join (1st time for me) WW, mainly for accountability and cost. I am using the Point Plus plan but am more Low Carb then their plan calls for. I know I can't ever eat carbs like I did especially bread, potatoes and corn. These are big no-no's for me. I also never eat as much as they recommend, after eating the amount I have for the last year the thought of eating that much almost makes me ill.
This has been working for me, it's ALOT slower than Medi. But this time around on Medi all I did was see-saw back and forth on the scale. I'm on week five and so far have lost 9.4 lbs without struggling. Basically I just had to find the right combination of both diets that worked for me.

Last edited by losing in Ftm; 05-19-2011 at 11:55 AM..
losing in Ftm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:33 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slbpl61 View Post
Irina, did you mean 'foot' surgery instead of 'food' surgery?? LOL I'm with you re: ketosis. I was able to get to trace-small but no further. Counting calories and exercising more is tried and true but b/c of my success with Medi, what I choose for those calories now is more beneficial than I would I chosen prior to Medi. Because of my new outlook, I am making an awesome chef's salad today for lunch. And I've had 2 bacon strips for breakfast this morning. The past few days have included cereal, sandwiches and fruit and I've been so bloated. Keeping those things in moderation for me (like 1x/week or so) helps alot.
Yes, I meant foot surgery but would it be great if i can have "food" surgery and stop obsessing about it and just have normal hunger/fullness switches when it comes to amount consumed and not having my life revolving around it. So far it is wishful thinking...
Old 05-19-2011, 07:37 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by losing in Ftm View Post
Count me in this boat too. I struggled for almost 2 1/2 months with the same 10-15 lbs. So I decided to join (1st time for me) WW, mainly for accountability and cost. I am using the Point Plus plan but am more Low Carb then their plan calls for. I know I can't ever eat carbs like I did especially bread, potatoes and corn. These are big no-no's for me. I also never eat as much as they recommend, after eating the amount I have for the last year the thought of eating that much almost makes me ill.
This has been working for me, it's ALOT slower than Medi. But this time around on Medi all I did was see-saw back and forth on the scale. I'm on week five and so far have lost 9.4 lbs without struggling. Basically I just had to find the right combination of both diets that worked for me.
I was contemplating going to WW too but read that they count banana as a 0 points food and I know for a fact that banana would set my craving through the roof, plus all their carbs (even good carbs). Accountability and costs are appealing... So far I am practicing my own WW - will see what happens.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:56 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: losing in Ftm
Stats: restart Apr 2012
WOE: Medi
Start Date: 5/5/10
I was contemplating going to WW too but read that they count banana as a 0 points food and I know for a fact that banana would set my craving through the roof, plus all their carbs (even good carbs). Accountability and costs are appealing... So far I am practicing my own WW - will see what happens.

I want to make sure everyone understands I am not trying to influence anyone do to what I have done. I should call it Jill's diet because this is what works for me.
I am definitely doing a mix between WW and Medi. I have learned so much over the last year about what foods are triggers for me and to stay away from. I am mostly using WW for the weigh in accountability, online tools and a basic plan to follow (and of couse the cost factor). But I have taken alot of what I learned from Medi and adjusted the WW program. I know that at least the frustration I felt when I tried to lose what I gained doing a strict Medi plan is gone. I find my motivation still comes from this site though, the meetings not so much.
losing in Ftm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 12:27 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by losing in Ftm View Post

I want to make sure everyone understands I am not trying to influence anyone do to what I have done. I should call it Jill's diet because this is what works for me.
I am definitely doing a mix between WW and Medi. I have learned so much over the last year about what foods are triggers for me and to stay away from. I am mostly using WW for the weigh in accountability, online tools and a basic plan to follow (and of couse the cost factor). But I have taken alot of what I learned from Medi and adjusted the WW program. I know that at least the frustration I felt when I tried to lose what I gained doing a strict Medi plan is gone. I find my motivation still comes from this site though, the meetings not so much.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 05-21-2011, 03:58 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: amy1915
Stats: 230/230/130
Start Date: Started Over 9/2012 after 76lb loss in 2010.
Thanks everyone so much! It's nice to know that its not just me. My weigh in's are on Fridays and this week I was the exact same weight I was the week before - crazy.
Has anyone read the Jackie Warner book? In it she talks about having a couple of weekly cheat meals...not a cheat days of course, but just one meal. I've found that doing this makes me feel less deprived the rest of the week when I am on plan. One thing I've found is that the choices and portions I make on my cheat meal are ten times healthier than what I would have chosen pre-Medi. Like someone else said I now know what things are absolutely off limits for me personally. Other things I can enjoy in moderation.
amy1915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 10:13 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amy1915 View Post
Thanks everyone so much! It's nice to know that its not just me. My weigh in's are on Fridays and this week I was the exact same weight I was the week before - crazy.
Has anyone read the Jackie Warner book? In it she talks about having a couple of weekly cheat meals...not a cheat days of course, but just one meal. I've found that doing this makes me feel less deprived the rest of the week when I am on plan. One thing I've found is that the choices and portions I make on my cheat meal are ten times healthier than what I would have chosen pre-Medi. Like someone else said I now know what things are absolutely off limits for me personally. Other things I can enjoy in moderation.

"Cheat" days or higher carb days help jump start your metabolism. So I did them periodically. You just need to a discipline to be back in the strict plan the next day. It is not easy.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:25 AM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Hoboken
Stats: 153.5/137/130
WOE: Medi-Weightloss Clinic
Hi everyone. I guess I should have posted on this thread instead of the Welcome Newbies thread where I just posted my first post (at item #68 on 5-24-2011). I am going to paste my other post below, since I am a complete newbie and don't know how to link to it...

Hi Everyone, and especially to a fellow Hoboken-ite, HobokenAnna! I got to Medi in Paramus, what about you?

I started Medi in late Feb 2011, my weight then was 153.5. I'm a 5'5" and mid 30s woman. My medi doctor advised me to eat 550-600 cal of protein (more than the 500 cal he recommended for my petite coworker who signed up for the program ahead of me), maybe because he felt I didn't need a drastic loss and I am moderately active. My goal weight range is 130-135. The first 3-4 days of Medi were just awful. A few days in, I must have been in carb withdrawal and I had a bit of an unhappy/anxious feeling that day (normally I'm pretty emotionally resilient and stable), and I felt weak and a little headachy the first few days. The only reasons I didn't cave in and ditch this diet were the upfront cost, and the fact that my coworker had so much success with it (27lbs in 5 weeks) and told me that the first 3-4 days would be horrible but that if I could make it through that, then I would become adjusted and it would get much easier. She was right. That's exactly what happened. It was still a matter of developing some willpower (I have none) but by day 4-5 I was in ketosis. I lost 4 pounds the first week; not much by Medi typical results but more than I'd ever done before (I tried WW and lost 3 pounds in 2.5 wks and felt it was to slow). The fact that getting rid of the carbs in my system and entering into ketosis initially was so hard kept me from sabotaging myself so I wouldn't undo that effort and have to repeat it again.

After losing about 17 pounds in late Feb through March, I got complacent and stayed relatively low-carb but didn't stick to the Medi plan, and ate a lot of extra nuts, Atkins snack foods, more veggies, more calories, etc so through April and May I gained back about 2.5 pounds. Now I am trying to push to reach my goal, I have about 4-9 pounds to go and am trying to find a way to re-motivate myself and not blow everything on the many events I have coming up on Memorial Day weekend and the following weekend (visiting family, going to a birthday party, going to an engagement party where I'm the maid of honor, etc). I met with the nutritionist at my Medi center and she suggested for the next 2 weeks, I return to week 1 or week 2 during the week M-F, but on the weekends eat more "normally" but in moderation, and see if I can get through my events that way but still lose a little weight.

Here are a couple things that have worked for me in the past and that I will try again, but of course this is not a substitute for seeking advice from your own doctor and nutritionist:
--drink all 128 oz of fluids or as close as you can get. drink 16 oz before a meal or snack. Don't forge the electrolyte drink, or else add Light Salt to your diet weekly.
--don't go totally fat-free, my Dr said it could lead to gallstones. A little healthy fat from nuts, fish, avocado, etc is necessary, my dr recommended I add 100 calorie pack of almonds a couple times a week since I went almost fat-free in the first week.
--order the 0 cal, 0 carb salad dressing packets from Walden Farms on their website. Search online for a promo code and you can get free stuff with your order or free shipping often. I like the packets because I keep one in my purse when I go out to eat lunch at work or out for dinner, then I order a mixed greens salad with grilled chicken or lean beef and skip the dressing, fatty toppings, and carby-add-ins. I like the WF bottled dressings too but find they get very thick in the fridge so the packets are good at home too.
--if you get tired of meat, I like EAS AdvantEDGE Carb Control packaged shakes (4 pack is usu cheaper at the supermarket (cheapest at ShopRite for me) than online or in the drugstore), 1 can= 110 cal, 17g prot, 4 g carbs (minus 2 g fiber= 2 net impact carbs), very convenient to carry around and don't need refrigeration. Or try the Atkins protein shake but it's more calories (160) and I sometimes find that they coagulate into an undrinkable glop if I leave them in the fridge too long but otherwise I like them. My dr doesn't like the packaged shakes of any kind and thinks they are only suitable to have once in a while not regularly.
--but don't make my mistake of ordering every Atkins product and low-carb bake mix, etc and having a low-carb fiesta and dropping out of ketosis.
--I pretty much live on the Applegate Farms meats. Their turkey and chicken hot dogs are ultra low cal (30-40 cal) and the uncured beef hot dogs are 70 cal (organic beef hot dogs are 90 cal). Their turkey bacon is 35 cal per thick slice. All their meats are natural, no preservatives, etc. Expensive but worth it if you are eating meat a few times a day and don't have time or inclination to do alot of weighing and portioning yourself. I eat my hot dogs with low-sugar ketchup, a bit of mustard, and a side of a dill pickle spear. Feels like junk food but isn't. I can get these natural meats at my local supermarkets or Whole Foods.
--or try the small packs of lean beef "sandwich" cuts from the butcher section, they come in small weight packages that saute nicely, topped with a healthy slathering of Mrs. Dash Fiesta Lime and a squeeze of lime juice, or just some soy sauce.

I don't have any association with any products or retailers but I am just an extremely busy work-aholic frequent business traveler so I don't often have much time or energy to spend in the kitchen.

I appreciate any motivational tips and tricks you guys share.
Hoboken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:10 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: suthrn grl
Stats: 170.8/139/140 (Made goal 6-25-11)
Start Date: January 5, 2011

Hi Hoboken!
Thanks for sharing and it's great to have you here.
Sounds like you have a smart "grasp" on your diet and that's super!
These boards are excellent for new ideas and support.
I'm not sure what I would do without the ideas and information I get here.
Best of luck to you
suthrn grl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:20 AM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Hoboken
Stats: 153.5/137/130
WOE: Medi-Weightloss Clinic
Thanks Suthrn_grl, and I love your signature quote about dancing in the rain. Looks like you are within spitting distance of your goal!
Hoboken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:29 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: suthrn grl
Stats: 170.8/139/140 (Made goal 6-25-11)
Start Date: January 5, 2011
Yep!! getting close. Funny thing is... the closer I get to goal...the more afraid I am that I can maintain it when I GET there!!
suthrn grl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:54 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: betty_going_85
Stats: 250/192.4/150 restart 236/222.6/150
Start Date: December 2010/ 9/9/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by suthrn grl View Post
Yep!! getting close. Funny thing is... the closer I get to goal...the more afraid I am that I can maintain it when I GET there!!
That is fanatastic that you are so close to goal. I think as long as you remember what it took to get there you'll be fine.
betty_going_85 is offline   Reply With Quote