Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Medi Weightloss (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/medi-weightloss/)
-   -   When your medi doc seems to be doing it his own way... (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/medi-weightloss/717155-when-your-medi-doc-seems-doing-his-own-way.html)

CourtneyinLOL 04-11-2011 05:15 PM

When your medi doc seems to be doing it his own way...

I am definitely a newbie and I have a lot to learn. However, I am also fairly decent at reading and following instructions and have started to notice that my Medi doc seems to do things his own way. :confused:

A couple of quick examples to show what I mean: 1) The "week 1" materials stated I could have diet soda, plain yogurt, and medi protein shakes. Meanwhile, the doc said "no diet soda ever again in your entire life" as well as no yogurt or shakes in week 1. 2) For most doing Medi, I am guessing that "week 1" lasted 7 days. Well, in my clinic it is standard practice to do "week 1" twice (for 14 days).

The results have been great and there really has been no harm done but I am starting to wonder if anyone else is seeing a doc who seems to be deviating from the printed diet plan or if I am the only one who seems to be playing by different rules.

Also, the Diet Coke addict in me HAS to ask:

Am I the only one out there who has been forbidden diet sodas?

:-) Thanks in advance!

suthrn grl 04-11-2011 05:29 PM

Courtney,
I can only speak for what I was told at my clinic - but, week 1 did not include diet sodas. I was told I could have sugar free drink like crystal-lite and water. I was also told to drink at least 16 ounces per day of fluid with electrolytes... Powerade ZERO was suggested. In week 2 I was told I could ONLY have PLAIN greek yogurt and I could have cottage cheese. I could have one of the low carb yougurts, but I could not find this in my local grocery. I added flavor to the greek yogurt and it helped greatly (sugar free DaVinci syrup...just a tiny bit).

I did not do week one twice...but, was told to keep my carbs to 25 to 30 grams in the second week.

I was also told to shoot for 8o to 96 ounces of water per day.

Thats about all I can remember. Hope this helps.

Mary T8M 04-11-2011 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CourtneyinLOL (Post 14553750)
I am definitely a newbie and I have a lot to learn. However, I am also fairly decent at reading and following instructions and have started to notice that my Medi doc seems to do things his own way. :confused:

A couple of quick examples to show what I mean: 1) The "week 1" materials stated I could have diet soda, plain yogurt, and medi protein shakes. Meanwhile, the doc said "no diet soda ever again in your entire life" as well as no yogurt or shakes in week 1. 2) For most doing Medi, I am guessing that "week 1" lasted 7 days. Well, in my clinic it is standard practice to do "week 1" twice (for 14 days).

The results have been great and there really has been no harm done but I am starting to wonder if anyone else is seeing a doc who seems to be deviating from the printed diet plan or if I am the only one who seems to be playing by different rules.

Also, the Diet Coke addict in me HAS to ask:

Am I the only one out there who has been forbidden diet sodas?

:-) Thanks in advance!

I believe this is a franchise type thing, so you just have to decide if you want to follow the advice you are paying for or not. My clinic did NOT restrict diet soda, BUT they did suggest to "watch" the caffeine.....

As far as the Greek Yogurt goes, I finally asked about it (several weeks in) knowing I couldn't find the low carb type yogurt, and didn't like plain THEY suggested adding liquid Splenda, regualr Splenda, Truvia, or stevia "to taste".......since then I've added SF pudding powder, Crystal Light drink mix, SF jello powder, DaVinci syrup, fresh fruit, or ANY combination. I like it sweet.

It's your money so do what you want. Get the meds and weigh in at your center, and get your support here!

Lisaann 04-12-2011 07:47 AM

Whatever you are doing it must we working! After only two weeks you have lost half of the weight to your goal. That is amazing!

I was told that a diet soda once in a while was okay but don't make a habit of it. We only did the week one once but no fruit in week two. I alo noticed that I don't lose as much when I eat the Greek yogurt.

ttpharmd 04-12-2011 10:40 AM

My clinic said diet sodas were fine as well as greek yogurt and sf jello. They only have the 'week 1' plan for week 1 :). They told me to keep my carb count under 30g/day and they don't allow fruit until week 3.
I've heard dieticians say to stay away from artificial sweeteners so maybe that's why they want you to cut out the diet soda.
Hope that helps a bit!

HealthyIn2011 04-15-2011 02:19 PM

My doc not only does it differently from the plan, he does it differently than the other doctor that's in the clinic on the days he's not there. It usually means the nurses are terribly confused, so I always talk to the doctor directly.

I'm on week 3 now and the scale hasn't budged in days. I also only lost 2 pounds the second week. I'm not sure how spot on his approach to this method is. It's quite frustrating to follow such a strict diet and not see the scale go down much.

In terms of diet soda, he said it was fine but no more than 2 cans a day because it has been shown to leech calcium from bones and the caffeine can heighten the jittery feeling from the supplements.