Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Medi Weightloss (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/medi-weightloss/)
-   -   VERY excited! Need to share (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/medi-weightloss/716227-very-excited-need-share.html)

Mary T8M 04-03-2011 10:17 AM

VERY excited! Need to share

For me this is probably one of the most exciting days I've had in a while! DD's BF just completed his very first 5K yesterday, after just starting C25K two months ago. SOOO I have FINALLY decided it was time for me to give C25K a try as well. My knees (actually I think it's my hamstrings) still cramp up, but I shocked myself when I was actually able to COMPLETE the first day.......I had no idea I could run for 60 seconds without stopping, then do it over, and over! :stars: I know now that I have run that before but just never timed it, so didn't think I could do it :dunno: SEE what games our minds play on us.....I still have so much negative "talk" going on in my head :down:

I was telling DD about it and she told me about the birthday surprise she had for DH and me...........our birthdays are both in July, but she signed us up for a 5K at the end of May in Jacksonville! She signed up with her BF (he'll run, and she'll walk) then she signed us up, and we're hoping DS, and DIL will also sign up!

WOW can't believe I'll be doing (running I hope) a 5K!! Thanks to all of you who have encouraged me with both your PM's, and your own accomplishments!:heart::heart:

Baysidegal 04-03-2011 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mary T8M (Post 14529003)
For me this is probably one of the most exciting days I've had in a while! DD's BF just completed his very first 5K yesterday, after just starting C25K two months ago. SOOO I have FINALLY decided it was time for me to give C25K a try as well. My knees (actually I think it's my hamstrings) still cramp up, but I shocked myself when I was actually able to COMPLETE the first day.......I had no idea I could run for 60 seconds without stopping, then do it over, and over! :stars: I know now that I have run that before but just never timed it, so didn't think I could do it :dunno: SEE what games our minds play on us.....I still have so much negative "talk" going on in my head :down:

I was telling DD about it and she told me about the birthday surprise she had for DH and me...........our birthdays are both in July, but she signed us up for a 5K at the end of May in Jacksonville! She signed up with her BF (he'll run, and she'll walk) then she signed us up, and we're hoping DS, and DIL will also sign up!

WOW can't believe I'll be doing (running I hope) a 5K!! Thanks to all of you who have encouraged me with both your PM's, and your own accomplishments!:heart::heart:

How exciting Mary! You should do well. :clap: I can't wait until I can walk for more than 15 min at a time, never mind 5K

barbwired 04-03-2011 04:57 PM

Mary, that's awesome! Sometimes we surprise ourselves with what we are capable of. I think it's so fun that you'll be doing the 5K together. It sounds like you have a wonderful family :)

Barb

lins 04-03-2011 05:13 PM

Good for you!! And I know you can do it. It took me 11 weeks to do the 9 week program the first time around. Just take it slow. If you're not ready to move on, then just repeat a week and go from there. That's what I told myself when I first started. And I told myself if I have to walk some of my first 5K then that's okay too. The point is to just not get discouraged. Just keep at it, and you will be successful. We are all cheering for you!

mommy2princesses 04-03-2011 05:40 PM

Wow Mary - so so so very happy for you!

changes 04-04-2011 03:09 AM

woohoo!

Quote:

WoW! This is amazing! You should be so proud of yourself for taking that first step. I decided I wanted to test out my running skills in a 2 mile race in Winter Park - happened a few weeks ago - it was so liberating. I was jogging around with a silly grin on my face and all day spoke about how proud I was of myself for actually DOING it..
let us know how training is going! :):up::notwrthy:
holly

chocolatefan 04-04-2011 04:26 AM

Quote:

This is fantastic!!! :clap::clap::clap: But forgive me for being an idiot: What is a C25K???? :dunno::dunno:

Mary T8M 04-04-2011 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chocolatefan (Post 14530670)
This is fantastic!!! :clap::clap::clap: But forgive me for being an idiot: What is a C25K???? :dunno::dunno:

You're NOT an idiot :hugs: it's a "program" that is Couch to 5K......it coaches people to go from inactivity (couch) to be able to run a 5K race. I downloaded it from ITunes onto my phone, so I listen to the prompts, to walk, then when (and for how long) to run. I must not have it set up right yet, because I didn't have any music with mine, just silence until the little beep, and the voice telling me to "run now" or "walk now". It starts out easier, then increases a little each week until you're up to a 5K. I won't be far enough in the program by the time we're doing our 5K in May, but I'm hoping I will be able to run at least 1/2.

Jeanie you're in the place I was last year.......I started walking and was SO impressed that I could walk 1/2 a mile! I've kept it up, and have increased the distance a little at a time. We are now up to about 7.5 miles (and COULD do more)! We alternate that with a day of about 6 miles. It takes quite a time commitment, since we have to DRIVE to a place to walk for the 7.5 miles. The days we walk about 6 miles it's just out on our country road, and that has it's own "issues". Keep it up, a 5K is just over 3 miles, so I KNOW I can do that distance easily.....you'll be able to also!

I would ENCOURAGE anyone who has not walked much or exercised much to STRETCH their hamstrings (the muscle up the back of your leg)......remember toe touches? I had NO idea how stiff I had become over the years.

Enigma 04-04-2011 08:46 AM

Yay Mary!! You go girl! I start week three tomorrow and I'm a little afraid. There's those mind games again. Darn it! Just do your pace and you will be great! So proud of you I'm also envious of how far you walk over the causeway! Holy moly! Mary you rock!

cheftrish 04-04-2011 09:00 AM

Great Job Mary, I have been doing this program after not running for a VERY long time, and it really works!! Maybe we should start a c25k thread?

ForHisGlory 04-04-2011 09:01 AM

Way to go Mary!! So encouraged by your success. Chocolatefan, so glad you asked about the c25k. I was wondering the same thing! So it is an itunes app?? Must check that out. Mary you should be so very proud of yourself. Thanks for sharing!

losing in Ftm 04-04-2011 02:06 PM

Wow I am impressed. I'm a few years younger and although I have been tempted to take up running I haven't seriously considered it. I just don't think I'm a runner. All I can say 'Go Girl'. Please keep us posted on your success.