Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Medi Weightloss (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/medi-weightloss/)
-   -   Anyone trying Medi again, after gaining it back? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/medi-weightloss/715668-anyone-trying-medi-again-after-gaining-back.html)

sizesix 03-30-2011 10:51 AM

Anyone trying Medi again, after gaining it back?

Tomorrow I start again. I'm hoping to keep it off this time, with a better approach to the maintenance phase.:cool:

kbhayward 03-30-2011 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sizesix (Post 14517093)
Tomorrow I start again. I'm hoping to keep it off this time, with a better approach to the maintenance phase.:cool:

I restarted in February after gaining back some of my loss from about 1 1/2 years ago. I have to say that it does not seem to want to come off as easy as last time but I am still plugging along. I gained almost 30 pounds since my maintenance 1 1/2 years ago. So far I am 7 weeks in and down 14 pounds. I tried to do it on my own for about a month without the clinic but really struggled. I needed the accountability, I just wish being accountable was not so darn expensive!

sizesix 03-30-2011 12:12 PM

I know! It's so tempting to stop and "do it yourself" after you've met your goal --but I never felt like a thin person, even though I was. Like you, I gained back my 30 lb loss. I hope we can both hang in there!!

NOT2fat4fun 03-30-2011 06:06 PM

Yup - me too. Went back a few weeks ago. Just never got the maintenance piece. Feel good now - good to know you are both here. : )

meganlj 03-30-2011 06:26 PM

me too!!

I haven't gained it all back, it's creeping back.. but I can't afford to go in right now either. I was half way to my goal when Thanksgiving hit, along with a surgery and then Christmas, and then another surgery..
having such a hard time feeling motivated.
Which office are you going to? I'm in Charlotte too ;)
I think more than anything I need the accountability. I have at least 50 to lose (though I fear the scale right now, I suppose I should check)
anyone want to be accountable with me? :)

lins 03-30-2011 06:26 PM

Me too, but I only gained back 15lbs, and in 5 weeks I am down 13 of those lbs. And now I want to lose 10 more. But I wanted to get back into the clinic before I gained any more weight back. I am so glad that I did. And now I am even more motivated to lose those last 10lbs that I never dreamed were possible.

irabeslim 03-30-2011 08:45 PM

me too

Quote:

Originally Posted by lins (Post 14518515)
Me too, but I only gained back 15lbs, and in 5 weeks I am down 13 of those lbs. And now I want to lose 10 more. But I wanted to get back into the clinic before I gained any more weight back. I am so glad that I did. And now I am even more motivated to lose those last 10lbs that I never dreamed were possible.

I am thinking of going back too. I have reached my goal back in October (lost 113 lb) but never managed to stay at the same exact weight for more than a week, going up and down a few pounds but always returning to my goal. I guess I never learned the maintenance skills. Then holidays, vacation, foot surgery (6 weeks of not being able to put weight on my foot, hence no exercise, could not even weigh myself) I am up about 18 lb or so. I have been trying to lose them on my own but it is so hard to eat very little without AS, shots, etc. I won't be able to exercise as I used to for a while so there is really no wiggle room in terms of calories in. I just feel kind of ashamed that I gained weight - clinic put my picture up to motivate their patients.

losing in Ftm 03-31-2011 03:10 AM

I just feel kind of ashamed that I gained weight - clinic put my picture up to motivate their patients.

I am kind of the same. I regained at my worst about 20 lbs but have lost 11 already. I need 9 more to get back to my 158 but I still want to get down to 150lb. I had alot of AS left over so I am using that on my tough days. I don't want to go back to the clinic either until I am closer to my goal. I know it's a pride thing but so far it's working.
I really struggled with the maintenance aspect also. I ate too many sweets what with the traditional baking that my family does over the holidays but even when I ate medi foods my portion control wasn't right. I also stoppped being so accurate in my journaling so I know I ate alot more then kept track of.
Guess we are all in this together.

irabeslim 03-31-2011 01:33 PM

Ok, I worked up a courage and called the clinic. First thing, there were happy that I called and told me that "We were just talking about you, that I was one of their best patients :blush:" Then I told them my story and asked what would be their advice, should I get prescription AS to help me lose or what? They said they would not give me ASs because I came off them just 3 months ago and at a minimum you need 6 months break. So my other option, after they evaluate my stats, would probably be "Stay slim". I am not sure, if it will be as helpful as prescription AS. Anybody taking them? Do they help?

NOT2fat4fun 03-31-2011 06:20 PM

Irina - my vote is to do whatever it takes to stop the gain. I 'm glad you called the clinic. I asked mine if they were going to fire me : ) I would try the stay slim - focus on the protein. You can do it.

Mary T8M 04-01-2011 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irabeslim (Post 14521175)
Ok, I worked up a courage and called the clinic. First thing, there were happy that I called and told me that "We were just talking about you, that I was one of their best patients :blush:" Then I told them my story and asked what would be their advice, should I get prescription AS to help me lose or what? They said they would not give me ASs because I came off them just 3 months ago and at a minimum you need 6 months break. So my other option, after they evaluate my stats, would probably be "Stay slim". I am not sure, if it will be as helpful as prescription AS. Anybody taking them? Do they help?

oh no! Not sure I understand the thing about being off of them for 6 months??? :dunno: Is that because you reached goal or what? I'm hoping my center doesn't feel that way.....As soon as I can go back I want to get the AS as well as the MIC shots, and fat burner!

changes 04-01-2011 06:17 AM

I restarted 3 weeks ago after not going for 250days - gained about 25lbs. back and looking to get those back off. Due to my BMI and stats, the doc couldn't prescribe me AS - but honestly I didn't want them. I take Fat Burner and Stay Slim daily - I typically hit closer to 600-700 calories, a majority of them being protein. It isn't easy, but after the first week or so (and LOTS of chewing gum), it has gotten better. My problem was maintenance as well - I just didn't get the hang of it properly and thought I was invincible! Lost 6 pounds first week and my 2nd weigh in is today - I will keep you posted on how I do.. hope this helps!

holly

Mary T8M 04-01-2011 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by changes (Post 14522913)
I restarted 3 weeks ago after not going for 250days - gained about 25lbs. back and looking to get those back off. Due to my BMI and stats, the doc couldn't prescribe me AS - but honestly I didn't want them. I take Fat Burner and Stay Slim daily - I typically hit closer to 600-700 calories, a majority of them being protein. It isn't easy, but after the first week or so (and LOTS of chewing gum), it has gotten better. My problem was maintenance as well - I just didn't get the hang of it properly and thought I was invincible! Lost 6 pounds first week and my 2nd weigh in is today - I will keep you posted on how I do.. hope this helps!

holly

Holly crossing my fingers for you on your weigh-in..........I sure wish DH would learn the same lesson about being invincible WITHOUT regaining a bunch, but I'm not sure that will happen! :( I think I've been down this road so many times before with other plans that it has finally clicked..........I'll NEVER be able to go back to eating what/how I used to eat unless I want to weigh, what I used to weigh (NOOO WAY) but I don't think that has hit him yet.......he makes poor choices, then is mad at the plan :doh::doh:

changes 04-01-2011 04:03 PM

A small loss? I'll take it!

Today's weigh in (week 2 restart), lost .6 - I lost 2 pounds of fat mass and gained 1.5 pounds of water. This week I would consider a wash (so to speak) and look forward to a bigger loss next week. :D

NOT2fat4fun 04-04-2011 05:32 PM

Hi Changes - we are at about the same place. Feels like the weight is more resistant this time around - do you feel that too?

changes 04-05-2011 03:19 AM

I hear ya..

Quote:

Originally Posted by NOT2fat4fun (Post 14533165)
Hi Changes - we are at about the same place. Feels like the weight is more resistant this time around - do you feel that too?

I do - but I am hoping that I can prove myself wrong. Surprisingly week 1 wasn't as bad the 2nd time around - thank goodness~ I will tell you what I have changed is my fitness regiment. Last time I would work out 5-6 days a week at a high intensity on cardio machines. This time, I am making it so I can do this at a livable pace - work out every other day and stay more in fat burning zone with a moderate jog once a week. I am hoping this is me working smarter, not harder.. :kicking:

CBenjamin 04-05-2011 06:15 AM

I am. I was only 4lbs away from my goal weight when I found out I was pregnant. I gained 25lbs. during my pregnancy and then another 25 once I stopped breast feeding a few months ago. I am seven months PP right now and have 50lbs to lose. I am following the diet plan and have ordered some bars and shakes from the site but am unable to get any supplements or go to a clinic since I am living in Germany now. I am still on the hunt for a decent fat burner but have had no luck yet. Hoping all the pieces fall into place for me over here. This is the only "diet" that has ever worked for me.

losing in Ftm 04-06-2011 03:12 AM

I am finding it frustrating this time too. The first two weeks I lost 9 lbs and thought this would come off like it did last time. But it hasn't. Even though I am keeping to 600-700 calories and burning at least 1/2 of that almost every day (On Mon and Wed I burn almost 800 cal. according to Livestrong) I have been up and down daily, with no over all lose in 2 weeks.
Maybe it's because I do classes (Core ball and Zumba), even though the moves change all the time there is a certain amount of repetition.
I am biking for about a hour on weekends but with the hot weather and wet season coming our way that will become very erratic. I have been considering joining a fitness center for the next 6 months or so and maybe even try a personal trainer to become educated on weight training and such.
I am still taking the fat burner daily and leftover AS when I feel the need. I also have a full bottle of Stay Slim that I can try when I run out of AS.
Any opinions or advice folks? I'm afraid I'm going to get so frustrated and really blow it.

changes 04-06-2011 06:36 AM

hmmm.

Quote:

Originally Posted by losing in Ftm (Post 14537104)
I am finding it frustrating this time too. The first two weeks I lost 9 lbs and thought this would come off like it did last time. But it hasn't. Even though I am keeping to 600-700 calories and burning at least 1/2 of that almost every day (On Mon and Wed I burn almost 800 cal. according to Livestrong) I have been up and down daily, with no over all lose in 2 weeks.
Maybe it's because I do classes (Core ball and Zumba), even though the moves change all the time there is a certain amount of repetition.
I am biking for about a hour on weekends but with the hot weather and wet season coming our way that will become very erratic. I have been considering joining a fitness center for the next 6 months or so and maybe even try a personal trainer to become educated on weight training and such.
I am still taking the fat burner daily and leftover AS when I feel the need. I also have a full bottle of Stay Slim that I can try when I run out of AS.
Any opinions or advice folks? I'm afraid I'm going to get so frustrated and really blow it.

do you think you are getting enough calories? you might want to throw at least a protein shake in the mix to give you more calories - maybe you are burning off too much and your body is holding on to the little amount of caloric intake you do have?:dunno:

NOT2fat4fun 04-06-2011 06:02 PM

Hi Holly- I am 5'7" so you have a few inches on me. I have a muscle build so I am very happy at 145. My doc says I could go to 135 but since I couldn't even keep it at 145 I am going to aim and stay there before trying to attempt that.

Losing it Ftm - I found out that I wasn't getting enough protein - just assumed I was. Are you journaling?

mommy2princesses 04-06-2011 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NOT2fat4fun (Post 14539950)
Hi Holly- I am 5'7" so you have a few inches on me. I have a muscle build so I am very happy at 145. My doc says I could go to 135 but since I couldn't even keep it at 145 I am going to aim and stay there before trying to attempt that.

Losing it Ftm - I found out that I wasn't getting enough protein - just assumed I was. Are you journaling?

It's so funny how height/weight is different for everyone....I am 5'7" and have a large frame, 155-160 is the lowest that I can maintain with maintenance eating and exercising normal amounts. Anything lower than that and I need to become fixated on working out, it becomes unrealistic for me.

losing in Ftm 04-07-2011 06:20 AM

It's so funny how height/weight is different for everyone....I am 5'7" and have a large frame, 155-160 is the lowest that I can maintain with maintenance eating and exercising normal amounts.
Know what you mean I'm 5'6.5", I want to hit 150lb again and hopefully maintain it with moderate eating and exercise. I am determined to find a balance this time. Whether it's with Medi Maintainence (I hope so) or another way I have to find something that fits into my life.
I know now exercise IS a part of my life. I don't know why it is so different now, but I love it. I have always hated it before and felt it was one of those things you had to force yourself into. Not anymore.

losing in Ftm 04-07-2011 07:44 AM

do you think you are getting enough calories? you might want to throw at least a protein shake in the mix to give you more calories - maybe you are burning off too much and your body is holding on to the little amount of caloric intake you do

I have tried to increase the protein. I don't care for the shakes but I have used bars before. I also have had a small apple or yogurt on my big exercise in the past. But since I have gone back to acute to lose the weight I gained back this doesn't work anymore. Instead I actually will add a pound or two if I do this. This has been very frustrating mainly because what use to work for me doesn't seem too now. After the first 1 1/2 week I lost almost 9 lb but now I am up and then down. Of course weighing myself daily isn't helping me cope.
Guess it's time to just take a deep breath and realize these few pounds are going to take awhile to come off.

Keri and any of those who have maintained over time, when you get a chance maybe you can post some of your food journals for (I know we all have different calorie levels) us who have struggled with maintaining. Thanks!

betty_going_85 04-07-2011 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by losing in Ftm (Post 14540969)
It's so funny how height/weight is different for everyone....I am 5'7" and have a large frame, 155-160 is the lowest that I can maintain with maintenance eating and exercising normal amounts.
Know what you mean I'm 5'6.5", I want to hit 150lb again and hopefully maintain it with moderate eating and exercise. I am determined to find a balance this time. Whether it's with Medi Maintainence (I hope so) or another way I have to find something that fits into my life.
I know now exercise IS a part of my life. I don't know why it is so different now, but I love it. I have always hated it before and felt it was one of those things you had to force yourself into. Not anymore.

I wish I could find some form of exercise that I like. I commend you for now loving it. May I ask what form of exercise are you doing? I know it needs to be apart of my life once I lose all my weight so it's imperative that I find something that works and fun.

GoldeneyeDancer 04-07-2011 10:31 AM

In an earlier post KBHayward says, "I have to say that it does not seem to want to come off as easy as last time but I am still plugging along." -
I totally agree - this is my second time, too. I posted at the very end of the Newbies - week 1 hints page but this is where I really should be - went back in March after gaining back 22 lbs since Aug. when I was so close to goal but got laid off from job and "serious" BF broke up with me, which started the depression and emotional eating.

It really is expensive -but my son's wedding is Apr. 23 and I wanted to look good, plus I could not let my little 4' 11 frame carry 152 lbs - It was just horrible and I knew it wasn't good for my health or anything else. I'm so glad to see this thread! Thanks for being here and sharing!
Shar (GoldeneyeDancer)

irabeslim 04-07-2011 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by losing in Ftm (Post 14541274)
do you think you are getting enough calories? you might want to throw at least a protein shake in the mix to give you more calories - maybe you are burning off too much and your body is holding on to the little amount of caloric intake you do

I have tried to increase the protein. I don't care for the shakes but I have used bars before. I also have had a small apple or yogurt on my big exercise in the past. But since I have gone back to acute to lose the weight I gained back this doesn't work anymore. Instead I actually will add a pound or two if I do this. This has been very frustrating mainly because what use to work for me doesn't seem too now. After the first 1 1/2 week I lost almost 9 lb but now I am up and then down. Of course weighing myself daily isn't helping me cope.
Guess it's time to just take a deep breath and realize these few pounds are going to take awhile to come off.

Keri and any of those who have maintained over time, when you get a chance maybe you can post some of your food journals for (I know we all have different calorie levels) us who have struggled with maintaining. Thanks!

I am in a "restart" mode too after gaining 15lb in 4 months due to vacation and foot surgery. Are you following Medi acute phase plan exactly? Are you in ketosis? I am hoping to to put myself into ketosis again - until I lose these 15 lb and hope it should do the trick, I want to get those pounds off by April 30th - it is a party I need to go to and want to feel and look the way I looked and felt 15 lb ago. Your experience makes me worried that it will not work as perfectly as last time - so much effort for nothing? :annoyed:

Also this time around I will be working on my mind and sabotaging thoughts once I hit maintenance and try to learn to do it right this time.

Also, to my huge surprise I miss my exercise routine ( haven't exercised in 8 weeks) and cannot wait to get back to it even it is just brisk walk around the block. It clears your head, distracts you from your sabotaging thoughts.

mommy2princesses 04-07-2011 05:21 PM

I will definitely post some of my food journals for you, I can't seem to copy and paste them right now on my iPad....but let me work on it! If not, I'll type out a few tomorrow.

losing in Ftm 04-08-2011 11:01 AM

Your experience makes me worried that it will not work as perfectly as last time - so much effort for nothing?

Remember your body is different than mine. You may not have any of the same issues that I am. I never test for ketosis. At least not since my first month. The same week I started to add exercise to the program I fell from moderate to negative and after 1 1/2 mths the clinic told me not worry about. Something about my body burning my keotones or something like that.
I did test after a week of restarting and it was still negative. I think I'm going to have to give in and head back to the clinic.

As for exercise recommendation, do you like to do things by yourself or with others? I love the zumba and core stability classes I take and would highly recommend them. The core classes where I take them are VERY difficult but I have been amazed at what they have done for my body. Except for my stomach pouch which I think is with me permanent(w/o a nip and tuck) my legs and arms have become so toned. Even my loose skin has firmed up.
Just pick something and make yourelf do it. Good luck

GoldeneyeDancer 04-13-2011 03:26 PM

This week's weigh in was another 1.4 lbs off. The nurse said I"m pretty close to goal and it slows down and she suggested I do only protein for two days. Yesterday I couldn't make it happen but today I have done 530 cals. of only protein, with only 4 carbs. Also did lots of exercise and now off to a Latin dance class. Plan to eat only protein tomorrow, too....guess I'll check in here quite a few times on the tips for week 1 section!

I'm starting week 7 on my re-start and even though I've been stricter than when I lost the first time, it is still slower and less weight off than before. I guess that comes with getting older and doing it "again." Others finding that true?

My son's wedding is in 11 days and at least I'm very close to goal and will feel good in my dress!
Shar

changes 04-15-2011 10:22 AM

restart

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldeneyeDancer (Post 14559827)
This week's weigh in was another 1.4 lbs off. The nurse said I"m pretty close to goal and it slows down and she suggested I do only protein for two days. Yesterday I couldn't make it happen but today I have done 530 cals. of only protein, with only 4 carbs. Also did lots of exercise and now off to a Latin dance class. Plan to eat only protein tomorrow, too....guess I'll check in here quite a few times on the tips for week 1 section!

I'm starting week 7 on my re-start and even though I've been stricter than when I lost the first time, it is still slower and less weight off than before. I guess that comes with getting older and doing it "again." Others finding that true?

My son's wedding is in 11 days and at least I'm very close to goal and will feel good in my dress!
Shar

Shar - this time around, I am more focused on gaining muscle - so I am now trying to tailor my workouts to be more centered around weights and not such high intensity cardio (powerwalking, etc.). I am finding the weight is coming off, almost as good as the first time, and I have more lean muscle this time around - which I believe will help me keep it off.