Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Medi Weightloss (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/medi-weightloss/)
-   -   Newbie who loves food (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/medi-weightloss/715225-newbie-who-loves-food.html)

jjeremias 03-26-2011 06:53 PM

Newbie who loves food

I started mwl on wednesday (today concludes day 4) and it hasn't been to difficult because I've been pretty motivated, but I'm starting to have serious cravings for some carb/sugar rich food. My primary worry is that I absolutely love food and I don't know if I can make myself give up all of that. Is it mainly about portion control once you lose the weight you want?

ravenrose 03-26-2011 08:14 PM

how much do you have to lose? what's your history of dieting, losing, and regaining? how old are you and how long have you been overweight? gender? I am not actually asking you to tell us, but

all these things are factors in your metabolism, which largely determines how much you can eat to maintain any given weight.

if you have a good deal to lose you probably have a poor metabolism, and most people like that find that for maintenance they have to eat about the same way they did to lose the last 10 lb or so. that usually means restricting both calories and carbs.

it's obvious that anyone with a history of losing and regaining doesn't fully get the idea of "this has to be a way of life if it's to be successful." Heaven knows I regained over and over again! I think I finally get it now. I hope I do!

it needs to be a lifestyle, and nearly everyone agrees that maintaining is HARDER than losing.

best of luck!

mommy2princesses 03-27-2011 06:08 AM

[QUOTE=

it's obvious that anyone with a history of losing and regaining doesn't fully get the idea of "this has to be a way of life if it's to be successful." Heaven knows I regained over and over again! I think I finally get it now. I hope I do!

it needs to be a lifestyle, and nearly everyone agrees that maintaining is HARDER than losing.

best of luck![/QUOTE]

I will 2nd that!! I am several months into maintenance after losing 100 lbs. And yes, maintaining is MUCH harder than losing was. In the acute phase everything was very strict, there weren't many options. But in maintenance, it is up to YOU to know what you can and can't eat. (as in, how bad is that piece of chocolate for me???). This is a lifestyle change, my eating habits and that of my family have changed. The food I keep in the house on a weekly basis has changed. Luckily for me, as a 31 yr old female who has always been overweight my entire life my metabolism is pretty good when I exercise daily. I am on a 1600-1800 calories/day plan and on high cardio days can eat up to 2200 calories (which I never eat that many....I pretty much max out at 1900).

Good luck to you!

jjeremias 03-28-2011 07:00 PM

Yeah I don't have that much to lose. I'm 23 and not very active. I've never dieted before so I'm hoping that I can lose about 20lbs (I'm at 185 now) and then keep it there with exercise and portion control. I really dislike idea of not being able to eat some foods period. I guess that's what really freaks me out...that I would need to keep eating low carb to maintain. I don't mind exercising to maintain. I just want to be able to eat what I want. Does tha make sense?