Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2011, 09:36 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: imnotcrazyyet
Anyone doing Vegetarian?

I never thought, in 5 million years, that I would be considering going vegetarian. I never shied away from eating meat and made fun of people who wouldn't. But after almost 3 months of endlessly chewing on animal, I have changed my thinking. All I can think of some days is how horrified I would be if animals started treating humans they way we treat them.

I am definitely going to talk to my counselor tomorrow at my weekly appointment, but I was wondering if anyone else is doing the Medi plan as a vegetarian? I am a little concerned, because I can't imagine eating endless amounts of soy products either. If beans are off limits, cheese is on a very limited basis and only a few nuts 3 times a week, how do we get our protein?
imnotcrazyyet is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2011, 09:41 AM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Freeme
I agree with you. I have been vegetarian all my life. and i am doing low carb as a vegetarian. not sure what you call my plan but I do protein shakes and an egg or firm tofu inbetween and I've lost 30 pounds since Jan
Freeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:29 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lbeetle
Stats: 172/148.5/130
WOE: Medi-WLC
Start Date: February 2011
Hi! My clinic gave me some great handouts for a veggie regime for weeks one and two, plus a handout on veggie snacks. It takes me more work to do it lower on the food chain, so sometimes I do eat meat, but in general I'm doing a fair amount of yogurt, eggs, cheese, and tofu. Also added some peanut butter in, and am loving the shirataki noodles. Oh, black beans, too---great stir fried with eggs and some cayenne pepper and garlic powder. Best wishes!
lbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:42 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Tessa17
Stats: 184/144.0/135
Start Date: Feb 2011
You might want to try some of the Morning Star products. They are a little high in carbs, so I have 1 with dinner and keep the rest of the day low. I tried the Tomato and Basil Pizza Burger last night and it was amazing. It had 100 calories and 7 carbs. Some of the other flavors are a little high in carbs, but it is a good choice if you can fit them in your day.
Tessa17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:44 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: irabeslim
Stats: 5'2" - 253/140/140
WOE: MWL
Start Date: January 21st, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbeetle View Post
Hi! My clinic gave me some great handouts for a veggie regime for weeks one and two, plus a handout on veggie snacks. It takes me more work to do it lower on the food chain, so sometimes I do eat meat, but in general I'm doing a fair amount of yogurt, eggs, cheese, and tofu. Also added some peanut butter in, and am loving the shirataki noodles. Oh, black beans, too---great stir fried with eggs and some cayenne pepper and garlic powder. Best wishes!
Just be careful - beans are not on the acute diet plan
irabeslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 04:24 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnK
Stats: 5'2" 133/133/115
WOE: MediWeightLoss
Start Date: 7/22/14
Definitely talk to your Medi clinic staff. I am not vegetarian, but my clinic asks new enrollees if they are, then gives them the veg handouts. Hopefully yours will be as accommodating! Also, I know there are several other vegetarians on this site (at least there were a while ago), so you might want to do a search for their posts.
AnnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:31 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mary T8M
Stats: 5'2" 228/144/125 good-bye 150's
WOE: LC/LF/LCal (medi)
Start Date: 4/23/10
Charlene is vegetarian, and checks in here one in a while. You could look at the Energy IN ENERGY OUT thread Energy In (Food) and Energy Out (Exercise) and look back a few months to get a sample of what she was eating. I believe she is now in maintenance, but her old posts should help with acute.

I'm NOT vegetarian but do use some vegetarian products......just watch the carbs. I LOVE TVP "oatmeal"! I posted the recipe on the breakfast thread post #34.
Mary T8M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 05:57 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kristine29
Stats: 298/230(medi)/204/160?
WOE: Medi
Start Date: 2/24/2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by imnotcrazyyet View Post
I never thought, in 5 million years, that I would be considering going vegetarian. I never shied away from eating meat and made fun of people who wouldn't. But after almost 3 months of endlessly chewing on animal, I have changed my thinking. All I can think of some days is how horrified I would be if animals started treating humans they way we treat them.

I am definitely going to talk to my counselor tomorrow at my weekly appointment, but I was wondering if anyone else is doing the Medi plan as a vegetarian? I am a little concerned, because I can't imagine eating endless amounts of soy products either. If beans are off limits, cheese is on a very limited basis and only a few nuts 3 times a week, how do we get our protein?
I am not a big meat eater..wasn't until doing this diet and I often try to find alternatives so that I can have a meatless day. There is a great product called Gardein that I think is new..at least new to my grocery store and the chicken scallopini is delicious and low carb. Check the brand out- it might be worth a try as your "meat" substitute.
I tried the Sharataki noodles and it tasted like rubber bands to me- absolutely disgusting- in fact I have a package in the fridge still. I was so excited that I could have "pasta", but it just wasn't even close. I am Italian so these noodles just feel WRONG and yukkie

Last edited by Kristine29; 03-16-2011 at 05:58 PM..
Kristine29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:21 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: irabeslim
Stats: 5'2" - 253/140/140
WOE: MWL
Start Date: January 21st, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine29 View Post
I am not a big meat eater..wasn't until doing this diet and I often try to find alternatives so that I can have a meatless day. There is a great product called Gardein that I think is new..at least new to my grocery store and the chicken scallopini is delicious and low carb. Check the brand out- it might be worth a try as your "meat" substitute.
I tried the Sharataki noodles and it tasted like rubber bands to me- absolutely disgusting- in fact I have a package in the fridge still. I was so excited that I could have "pasta", but it just wasn't even close. I am Italian so these noodles just feel WRONG and yukkie
Kristine, I see that you go New York clinic, it must live in Staten Island? I did not like Tofu Sharitaki noodles either. You should try Yam noodles, 0 carb, 0 cal. I buy them in Chinese supermarket of 440. They are much better.
irabeslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:45 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: TaviMom
Stats: 182/165/130
Start Date: March 2011
I'm also a vegetarian on this diet. I'm on week 3 and I'm really starting to dread eating eggs...
I've started looking at the recipe suggestions. I've found some great suggestions. I'm looking forward to trying them out.
TaviMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:24 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ttpharmd
Stats: 178.5/166.5/155
Start Date: Restarted 2/15/13
I just started this program and I've been a lacto-ovo vegetarian for 12 yrs. I am on Day 4 and doing great! My protein has been tofu, egg beaters, Morningstar Farms Grillers veggie patties, greek yogurt and low fat cheese. I've been able to stay under 20g of carbs every day.
It's funny how when people learn I'm a vegetarian I know what they're thinking..."I thought all vegetarians were skinny." lol!
Yes-you can be an overweight vegetarian very easily!
I was a carb addict. I ate carbs all day every day. If it had sugar and fat--I ate it.
I am looking to this plan to be my new WOE!
ttpharmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:25 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mary T8M
Stats: 5'2" 228/144/125 good-bye 150's
WOE: LC/LF/LCal (medi)
Start Date: 4/23/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpharmd View Post
I just started this program and I've been a lacto-ovo vegetarian for 12 yrs. I am on Day 4 and doing great! My protein has been tofu, egg beaters, Morningstar Farms Grillers veggie patties, greek yogurt and low fat cheese. I've been able to stay under 20g of carbs every day.
It's funny how when people learn I'm a vegetarian I know what they're thinking..."I thought all vegetarians were skinny." lol!
Yes-you can be an overweight vegetarian very easily!
I was a carb addict. I ate carbs all day every day. If it had sugar and fat--I ate it.
I am looking to this plan to be my new WOE!
My DD was a chubby vegetarian too.....LOVES her carbs....now she's adding SOME meats back in, but STILL loves her carbs! Wish I could get her to Medi
Mary T8M is offline   Reply With Quote