Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2011, 01:22 PM   #421
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GatorEng2007
Stats: ht: 5'7" wt: 212.8/165/140
WOE: MWL
Start Date: 11/15/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by grfxgrl View Post
I've found the power crunch bars to be the cheapest at amazon, if you can believe that! I bought two boxes of 12 for $14/box. Which is way cheaper and far tastier than the medi bars! Love these things!!
Hm, I have had the power crunch before... but the nutrition content isn't as good as the medi bars i think. (twice the calories and carbs.... though maybe they are twice the size?).

Call me crazy but I REALLY like the Medi chocolate bars (the others i have only sampled but thought were too sweet). I just want the same thing... in a cheaper box. :-)

On a side note, I signed up for the Tough Mudder in December in Tampa of this year.

I did Warrior Dash in January and loved it. But that was only 3 miles, and the obstacles were not so bad. Tough Mudder is 12 miles and the obstacles are INSANE. I have time to train now and have a goal in sight :-) The great thing is that the Tough Mudder is more about teamwork than about finishing time. We have a team of about 15 people (as of today... it has been growing daily) sign up so we will all work together to complete the course.

I can't wait!

If anyone wants to join our team.. just PM me

Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2011, 02:58 PM   #422
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mommy2princesses
Stats: Ht 5'7'' 259.6/156/165
WOE: Medi Weight Loss
Start Date: May 11, 2010
Charlie - yes, the power crunch are bigger than the Medi ones @ about 200 calories, 10 carbs, 14 protein. My biggest reason for trying them (in addition to not liking the taste of the medi ones enough for $2 each) was that in maintenance i need to eat between 1600-1800 calories/day (and thats on non-cardio days!) I needed something higher calories and protein for a meal replacement than the Medi ones. And if I only need a small snack, then I break it in half.

Mary - you are so right about portion size! By measuring everything I eat, I was really
able to learn what a "portion" is......and it's amazing to see how off I was before. Those kids you see with 2 or 3 burgers in front of them are probably the same kids who eat their entire meal off the kids menu. It is insane the serving of pasta or fries that comes with a kids meal....yuck! (and I thought I was the only one who eats way too fast....I definitely worked on that with Medi too, in addition to actually sitting down to eat my meal rather than standing in the kitchen and just continuously eating!)

I finally found a local 5k to sign up for.....actually, I found 2 of them. The downside is they are the same weekend....not to sure if I'm up for doing one on a saturday and Sunday. Definitely will be choosing one though....April 30 or May 1. I am up to about 2 1/2 miles outside (even though I can do the entire 5k on the treadmill!) so as long as we get NO MORE snow I will definitely be up to the 5k in more than a month.

Over 100lbs. GONE FOREVER
Thanks to MWL!
8 months to Wellness....5/11/10 - 1/11/11
Old 03-16-2011, 03:10 PM   #423
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GatorEng2007
Stats: ht: 5'7" wt: 212.8/165/140
Start Date: 11/15/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2princesses View Post
Charlie - yes, the power crunch are bigger than the Medi ones @ about 200 calories, 10 carbs, 14 protein. My biggest reason for trying them (in addition to not liking the taste of the medi ones enough for $2 each) was that in maintenance i need to eat between 1600-1800 calories/day (and thats on non-cardio days!) I needed something higher calories and protein for a meal replacement than the Medi ones. And if I only need a small snack, then I break it in half.
I forgot that you were in maintence, I will definitely have to keep the power crunch in mind when i get there! For now, I am happy with the Medi ones over the power crunch. :-)
Old 03-16-2011, 04:53 PM   #424
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: barbwired
Stats: 227/171/142
WOE: Low Carb/Low Cal
Start Date: November 17, 2010
has anyone change centers?

Hi all,

So great to hear all the losses this week! I am thinking of changing MWL centers, moving to one that is now open closer to my house. When I talked to closer center today, they told me I might have to pay a fee to my current center if I make the switch. Has anyone switched centers and how much will Medi charge to switch? I have an appointment Friday, but would like to figure out what to do before I get there.

Thanks,
Barb
Old 03-16-2011, 05:12 PM   #425
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kristine29
Stats: 298/230(medi)/204/160?
WOE: Medi
Start Date: 2/24/2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagirl21 View Post
hey everyone,

i'm a college senior in my 5th week of medi and reading these boards has been such a help! however, i need some advice: occasionally i have major waves of nausea, and last night in at 3 am i woke up feeling so awful it really scared me. i tried to stand up and basically felt all the blood rush to my head and had completely clouded vision/dizziness. the nausea was very intense. i was so freaked out that i almost called my mom on the phone (so much for the being an "adult" thing) haha! my question is, has anyone experienced this kind of thing? I'm drinking tons of water and getting more electrolytes than required and always get the necessary calories, so I can't figure out what this could be.

Thanks so much!
Hi CarolinaGirl,

Sorry to hear that you are having these bouts of nausea and dizziness. I experience some of this, usually in the morning because ones body is naturally dehydrated from the night's rest. Once I drink some water and get going I am okay.
SInce it sounds like you are drinking enough water and electrolytes, maybe...I should ask are you taking vitamins? I take B6, B12, OMega3 (if I am not eating fish that day), and Vit D3.
I would recommend it if you aren't already taking them to help your body get what it needs. Hope this helps you.

Kristine
Old 03-16-2011, 05:46 PM   #426
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VElite View Post
So I was wondering about Atkins protein shakes. A co-worker who is doing atkins bought a couple boxes of protein shakes (chocolate) that she does not like and was going to give them away. I am not sure as they are medi-compliant. the specs are: 15g Protein, 160 calories, 2g net carbs, 10g FAT.... thats what I am concerned with is the fat..... Thanks for any advice/suggestions
Lelite,

I really enjoy the Atkins Milk Chocolate Shake...that's the only one I have had. It's a nice treat when I am craving something chocolaty- it satisfies the craving.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:37 PM   #427
Senior LCF Member

Drum roll please....officially today I have lost 11 lbs!!! I am so excited. TO commemorate this I took the day off work ( I have been so tired with this leap ahead garbage and yesterday I did some serious weight lifting and am so sore- damn lactic acid..grrr) and went SHOPPING!

In other news....thank you Mary for suggesting magnesium. I was doing some usual things that normally work, but nothing was happening. It doesn't feel good when the digestive track is not working according to plan. I took the magnesium and also some coconut milk.
You can get unsweetened Coconut Milk (only 1 carb) and use it for other things, but I know coconut is a diuretic so I was hoping it would help....and whew...happy to report all is well.

I am so great full for this thread it really helps me in so many ways.

Mommyofprincess (KERI) congratulations on being able to run 2 1/2 miles outside- that's awesome and for looking into doing your first 5k! You will be hooked. I love doing them for many reason..plus the free swag bags I keep my number and write my stats on it to keep track of how I am doing.

Keep up the good work everyone!
Old 03-16-2011, 07:10 PM   #428
Senior LCF Member

Congrats Kristine, that's awesome!
Old 03-16-2011, 07:32 PM   #429
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lins
WOE: Medi-weightloss
Start Date: 1/12/14
Congratulations to all of you who have loses this week! Keep up the hard work.

My clinic told me to try around with "low carb" items and see what worked for me. If it knocked my out a ketosis I didn't eat it again, but if I stayed in and it fit all the criteria then I was allowed to eat them. All clinics are different and all bodies are different. Some of this WOE is figuring out what works for you.

I ate Adkins Endulge bars, and drank the premade shakes throughout the whole time I was in acute (the first time), and I lost weight and stayed in ketosis (until I started running, but that's another story). I've been having them this time around too and am staying in ketosis so far.

I ran 5 miles tonight and it felt great. This was my first run over 1-2 miles since my half marathon. It's nice to be back running, and pain free!! I go to the clinic for weigh-in on Friday.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:39 PM   #430
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: chocolatefan
Stats: 202/162/160
Start Date: February 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine29 View Post
Drum roll please....officially today I have lost 11 lbs!!! I am so excited. TO commemorate this I took the day off work ( I have been so tired with this leap ahead garbage and yesterday I did some serious weight lifting and am so sore- damn lactic acid..grrr) and went SHOPPING!
Wow!!!! That's awesome!!! Congratulations!!!! It's so inspiring to come here and see these success stories. Helps me stick with it!!!! Yay!!!
Old 03-16-2011, 07:44 PM   #431
Senior LCF Member

okay so I attempted to make the Oopsie rolls, without my kitchen aid- which I left at my boyfriend's house- BIG mistake cause I hate whipping egg whites...so mine look like Oopsie flat cakes or something. Haven't eaten it yet, but I put some cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice in it. I am sure it will be good

Okay back to report on the taste test....NOT BAD..not bad at all..really light. The way I made mine (non-stiff egg whites..some may say WRONG way...hee hee) these came out like pancakes...with some of that walden's syrup or some no-carb maple syrup these would be yummie for breakfast. I am so sick of eggs.

Last edited by Kristine29; 03-16-2011 at 07:47 PM..
Old 03-16-2011, 07:59 PM   #432
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: grfxgrl
Stats: 5'4" - 213/192/134
WOE: Medi-Weightloss
Start Date: Restarting: 2/21/2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbwired View Post
Hi all,

So great to hear all the losses this week! I am thinking of changing MWL centers, moving to one that is now open closer to my house. When I talked to closer center today, they told me I might have to pay a fee to my current center if I make the switch. Has anyone switched centers and how much will Medi charge to switch? I have an appointment Friday, but would like to figure out what to do before I get there.

Thanks,
Barb
What in the world??? If there's one thing about this program that ticks me off is the sheer cost of things. And having to make you pay to switch clinics?!? That seems ludicrous to me. Maybe I'm being unreasonable, but we're paying at LEAST $300 a month for this program--which is equal to a car payment!!! And ok, yes, a car on the cheap side, buy come on!!!

I guess it's all about who owns the franchise (right? It's a franchise isn't it?) the same guy appears to own all the clinics here in Charlotte because I was told I could go to another location (that's closer to my work) if I needed to. I haven't done it yet. Not sure why but I just don't believe it for some crazy reason.

All that ranting (sorry!) to say that I wouldn't pay another cent if you can help it--not just for switching locations! We're not made of money Medi!! Sheesh!!

Ok, I'm done now, sorry
Old 03-16-2011, 08:13 PM   #433
Senior LCF Member

Here's a good article for those experiencing muscle soreness on this diet when working out (LIKE ME)
Why does lactic acid build up in muscles? And why does it cause soreness?: Scientific American
Old 03-16-2011, 08:25 PM   #434
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
What in the world??? If there's one thing about this program that ticks me off is the sheer cost of things. And having to make you pay to switch clinics?!? That seems ludicrous to me. Maybe I'm being unreasonable, but we're paying at LEAST $300 a month for this program--which is equal to a car payment!!! And ok, yes, a car on the cheap side, buy come on!!!

I guess it's all about who owns the franchise (right? It's a franchise isn't it?) the same guy appears to own all the clinics here in Charlotte because I was told I could go to another location (that's closer to my work) if I needed to. I haven't done it yet. Not sure why but I just don't believe it for some crazy reason.

All that ranting (sorry!) to say that I wouldn't pay another cent if you can help it--not just for switching locations! We're not made of money Medi!! Sheesh!!

Ok, I'm done now, sorry
Hey, I'm with you!!! In fact, now that I know the program pretty well, I'm considering only going every 2 weeks. I don't use the appetite suppressants and it seems like a lot of money to go and stand on a high-falutin' scale. Now granted, the accountability of knowing I have to go and stand on that scale has kept me honest, but part of the cost is for the prescription that I'm not using. I asked them about reducing my costs since I'm not really using one of the key things they are selling. They said no.

I committed to this because I need the structure and the pressure of knowing I will have to check in with them, and I have to admit that's what has really worked. But I had to miss an appointment last week because I was sick, and I didn't miss giving them my seventy bucks! I stuck with the plan on my own for the week. And it was nice to go and see my weight loss for two weeks when I did check in. Not sure I am ready to go it semi-alone yet, but I'm not sure I need to spend this kind of cash basically to go weigh in.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:47 PM   #435
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: VElite
Stats: 5'1.5" 219/198/150 for now
Start Date: 2/22/2011
I agree chocolatefan, grfxgrl its only the accountability that keeping most going. I am not taking the AS only the shots. The only time I felt the shot "working" was when I would go to the clinic right before zumba class, I noticed I had more energy. Other than that, no difference.. But I think after maybe 2-3 months, I will go to twice a week, depending on how things are going.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:51 PM   #436
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: grfxgrl
Stats: 5'4" - 213/192/134
WOE: Medi-Weightloss
Start Date: Restarting: 2/21/2011
Had a horrible day today. Nauseous, dizzy, tired. I went to lunch with sone friends/co-workers and started crying for no reason. There's factors to take into account, like today is first day of TOM, I took my morning meds and got distracted and didn't eat til 2 hours later.

I left work an hour early and nearly barfed in the car as I was driving home. Never did tho. I came home and forced a small apple and two pieces of string cheese down and that didn't help

I'm getting my water and my protein calories and I haven't been able to exercise since apparently last week's Zumba jacked up my ankles.

Soooo basically, I'm limping, squinting due to headaches, light-headed and feel on the brink of puking. I'm doing swell today

Fingers crossed tomorrow is better I guess.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:59 PM   #437
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: VElite
Stats: 5'1.5" 219/198/150 for now
Start Date: 2/22/2011
Quote:

I'm getting my water and my protein calories and I haven't been able to exercise since apparently last week's Zumba jacked up my ankles.

Soooo basically, I'm limping, squinting due to headaches, light-headed and feel on the brink of puking. I'm doing swell today

Fingers crossed tomorrow is better I guess.

Go TO BED... it helps me...
Old 03-16-2011, 11:48 PM   #438
Senior LCF Member

grfxgrl - Sorry you're having such a lousy day. Get some rest, tomorrow will be better

To all who posted about center costs, I had to cut down to every other week due to costs, too. I don't take the AS anyway, so it's working out fine. I try to set a two week goal, and if I feel I need to go in on my off week because I'm getting off-track, I do. It is alot of money, but when I think about how I was feeling in November before starting MWL, and how I look and feel now, it's priceless! Hopefully the center switch won't set me back too much. We shall see..
Old 03-17-2011, 08:28 AM   #439
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: afunfish
Stats: 225/207/165 5"8
WOE: Medi - Acute Phase
Hi everyone,

I haven't been to Medi since January. Thinking of going back to lose the last 10lbs, I am totally off plan. What is their policy, do I have to do the ekg and everything over again?
Old 03-17-2011, 08:43 AM   #440
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: leslie1436
Stats: 5'2" 152/140/116
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: 02/19/2011
Good morning everyone!

Well I had a terrible start to my day lol. I quit smoking a few weeks ago and am still using a nicotine patch to help with that. This morning I was running late so I put my patch on and took all of my pills without eating anything. I had a meeting first thing at work so I couldn't eat for over an hour. Bad idea I know better than that. So I spent a good part of the morning trying not to get sick, just feeling horribly nauseous. I literally closed the door in my office and laid down on the floor lol. But I'm feeling much better now.

To the people who are saying they are sore from working out, lactic acid build up. I LOVE Burt's Bees Therapeutic Bath Crystals. They work really well when I'm sore from hitting the weights real hard.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:23 AM   #441
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: losing in Ftm
Stats: restart Apr 2012
Start Date: 5/5/10
I haven't been to Medi since January. Thinking of going back to lose the last 10lbs, I am totally off plan. What is their policy, do I have to do the ekg and everything over again?

My clinic doesn't require that EKG and blood tests again for up to a year from your last visit. Unless the reason you haven't been in is for medical issues. However the website won't let you log in if you haven 't been to the clinic in the last 30-60 days.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:31 AM   #442
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: afunfish
Stats: 225/207/165 5"8
WOE: Medi - Acute Phase
Thank you losing in Ftm, I called up and made an appointment, going back on Saturday. I am happy to go back, I have maintained but have found myself slipping and eating large quantities of bad food choices, sweets, Chinese food etc. I want to nip it in the bud. Hope everyone is having a good week.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:39 AM   #443
Senior LCF Member

Hey--Taking the kids to see Mars Needs Moms and need a good snack choice so I can skip the popcorn. Any ideas???

Scratch that... Not going today (just read the reviews), but I could still use the ideas!!!!

Last edited by chocolatefan; 03-17-2011 at 09:43 AM..
Old 03-17-2011, 09:39 AM   #444
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Baysidegal
Stats: 240/238/140
WOE: Medi-Weightloss-ish
Start Date: Re-start 8/29/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by afunfish View Post
Hi everyone,

My clinic has a six month period that you can be away without redoing the bloodwork and ekg.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:47 AM   #445
Senior LCF Member

Hi everyone, I been kind of quiet all week. I've been sick, nauseated, you name it.. My blood pressure has been running low so my personal DR told me to cut down on my BP meds and eat more calories this week. It has helped a little, but finding more Protein calories is so hard. I get sick just thinking of MORE. My clinic says that increasing protein and stoping the fat burner pills should help. I hope so... I know I'm not pregnant LOL.. I just wish I wasn't so sick of some of the protein products. I hate turkey bacon now and can't eat eggs and turkey sausage in the AM or anytime for that matter. The eggs don't bother me that much, but egg whites? Now that kills me..
Is this "Week #5 Syndrome"???
Old 03-17-2011, 09:47 AM   #446
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: heleneval
Stats: 177/158.8/125
WOE: Medi Weight Loss
Start Date: March 9, 2011
Hello

Hi everyone,
I'm your newest recruit from the Newbies board! Finished my first week on Tuesday and lost 9 pounds that first week! I was thrilled....not just with the weight loss, but also that my first week went really well. No headaches, tiredness, hunger, or any other issues, and I was at "moderate" ketosis by day 4, just where I was supposed to be. So now I'm here on this board!

Yesterday was the first day I was able to add in veggies and/or fruit. I chose 2 servings of veggies -- 2 cups of raw broccoli. Everything else I ate during the day was the same as week 1. This morning my ketosis was no longer in "moderate" - it was in "small." I guess it was the broccoli. Not sure what to make of that, if that's normal or if I should cut back?? My clinic told me to stay within 20-25 g. of carbs, and I was way under that yesterday. Thoughts??

Helene

Last edited by heleneval; 03-17-2011 at 09:51 AM..
Old 03-17-2011, 09:54 AM   #447
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heleneval View Post
Hi everyone,
I'm your newest recruit from the Newbies board! Finished my first week on Tuesday and lost 9 pounds that first week! I was thrilled....not just with the weight loss, but also that my first week went really well. No headaches, tiredness, hunger, or any other issues, and I was at "moderate" ketosis by day 4, just where I was supposed to be. So now I'm here on this board!

Yesterday was the first day I was able to add in veggies and/or fruit. I chose 2 servings of veggies -- 2 cups of raw broccoli. Everything else I ate during the day was the same as week 1. This morning my ketosis was no longer in "moderate" - it was in "small." I guess it was the broccoli. Not sure what to make of that, if that's normal or if I should cut back?? My clinic told me to stay within 20-25 g. of carbs, and I was way under that yesterday. Thoughts??

Helene
Congratulations of your first week loss and welcome.. adding back carbs does knock your ketosis down a little, but don't worry, it will come back up periodically. Mine usually stays on small because of the veggies and exercise.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:57 AM   #448
Senior LCF Member

Hey--Taking the kids to see Mars Needs Moms and need a good snack choice so I can skip the popcorn. Any ideas???

My favorite if the medi gummies made from jello. I always make them when I go so I have something to snack on. Do a search for the recipe, just be ready your kids will probably love them too.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:00 PM   #449
Senior LCF Member

Found it #18 under dessert recipes
Old 03-17-2011, 12:50 PM   #450
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Swirveegrl
Stats: 5'4" 215.8/149.8/145
WOE: 50 carbs/day
Start Date: 2/3/11
Hello Week 7

Another Successful weigh in! How motivating?!?! I can't believe the 180's are just around the corner!!!!My clothes are all getting way too lose. I hate the idea of buying more clothes, because I have a ways to reach my goal. Anyone have any suggestions?

Bayside Gal I would suggest experimenting with recipes as well as adding some supplements. I highly recommend the power crunch bars, they are tasty and an excellent protein source (available online, Trader Joe's, Vitamin Shoppe, GNC). Why not use that to substitute your breakfast. They are higher in calories (200 cals), so that would help you increase your protein calories as well. Are you using low carb yogurt? It's an excellent source of protein and would give you more variety. You should be allowed up to 3 dairy servings a day, why not use the yourts for a couple? I find the myoplex carbcontrol excellent protein sources on the go. I will also recommend GIANT brand salads. Do you have Martin's in your area? They have prepackaged single serving salads like caesar, cobb, chef. I love them because they have the nutrition information on the bottom, and make a very easy lunch or dinner and are a GREAT protein source. How about unsweetend almond milk? It also counts as a protein source, and can be used in protein shakes or on it's own. I think variety will really help you get adequate protein calories, as well as feel better. I can't remember if you are using the appetite supressant or not? If so, maybe you are taking way too much of it? How about reducing your dose? I'm very happy you are following your doctors recommendations, and decreased your B/P meds that's great progress! Make sure you are drinking adequate electrolytes, and using your daily fat serving. I'm not recommending this for everyone, however; I have a very active work day as a nurse. I am on my feet ALL DAY LONG. 100 cals of fat doesn't cut it for me. I'm usually using about 150cals, around a 1 oz serving of peanuts. Maybe experiment and see if it helps with your symptoms?

FYI: I was advised by my clinic, on the days that I have a protein bar like the MEDI bar or other, not to have a fruit.
[img]http://tickers.************.com/ticker/show/480/7345/4807345.png[/img]
Created by ************.com - Free Calorie Counter?

Last edited by Swirveegrl; 03-17-2011 at 01:08 PM..
Closed Thread