Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2011, 11:14 AM   #331
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: irabeslim
Stats: 5'2" - 253/140/140
WOE: MWL
Start Date: January 21st, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2princesses View Post
Tricia - your "lack of fiber" issue is a common conversation here.....if you read past monthly threads you'll definitely see it talked about frequently. Mary had recently told us about taking a magnesium supplement daily which I have been doing and it definitely works. I don't (and never did) use the colon cleanse one from the clinic. Try the magnesium, easy fix.
Keri, what kind of magnesium you are taking, how much and at what times?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2011, 04:59 PM   #332
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mary T8M
Stats: 5'2" 228/144/125 good-bye 150's
WOE: LC/LF/LCal (medi)
Start Date: 4/23/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by irabeslim View Post
Keri, what kind of magnesium you are taking, how much and at what times?
I'm Not Keri, but pretty much ANY Magnesium works......the cheaper the better. Look on line and read about it first. This is an age old remedy.....Milk of Magnesia is magnesium. Some people (long ago) took epsom salt and it is magnesium. The "prep" many Dr. use prior to a colonoscopy is magnesium.

You titrate the dose to the action. The MAIN side affect of magnesium (as well as Vit C) is loose BMs/diarrhea, so that's when you know you've had enough. I usually tell people (I'm an RN who worked with gastrointerologists, running the recovery room, so I did a TON of patient teaching) to take it a 1-3 times a day. Maybe start with 250mg each time. Right now I take 250 mg with dinner. DH takes it 2-3 times "depending" :blush:.

Please read the bottle of colon cleanse stuff from the clinic....my guess is it's probably magnesium + "other stuff".....it's much cheaper to just stop by Walmart of CVS.

Mary T8M (Tatem)

New member of the 80 pounds gone club

Whether you think you can, or you can't, either way you're right!
Henry Ford
Old 03-13-2011, 05:08 PM   #333
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kristine29
Stats: 298/230(medi)/204/160?
WOE: Medi
Start Date: 2/24/2011
Here's something to try too for those having fiber issues...Psyllium Husk Powder mixed in a cup of water. It has NO CARBS. I use Yerba Prima brand. I take this and combined with my running, seems to help things get going. Hope this helps someone out.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:12 PM   #334
Senior LCF Member

OKay so I made it through the weekend on the "meat week". I should first say that I decided to start this diet on Feb. 24, but when I did the first week I was having cheese and salad....so I decided to go back and do it properly, beginning on March 9.

This week wasn't so bad, glad it is almost over, but I have to say I literally threw out my ham omelet yesterday morning because I just didn't want it in my mouth. I had a few pieces of corned beef for breakfast!
I am proud of how dedicated I am, not that I am not usually, but I think the fact that I am seeing results helps to keep me going.

I have some concerns that maybe some of the veterans of the plan can help me with.... I am actually becoming a bit afraid to eat. I should clarify, I am afraid for the weeks when I can add cheese and salad because I don't want to gain. Now I have to admit there was a day, last week, during meat week that I had one laughing cow cheese wedge and obviously my progress was not hindered- but what will happen when I incorporate these things on a regular basis? Should I stay on meat week longer till it proves ineffective, then change things up?

In the past my body becomes used to a diet rather quickly- thus most diets haven't worked- this one, however, is proving all the others wrong!! So I am excited that I have lost nearly 10lbs already and don't want this great progress to slow down yet. That's why I am thinking I might continue meat week, with maybe a few add ons once a day, and see how that goes.

Oh I need to share thess items I found at the store today- Thin N Trim Chicken Sausages- Buffalo chicken flavor and peach chipolte. No carbs only 70 cals a link 2.5 fat 12 protein. Good too!
Also when you are sick of just plain water try HINT- o calories zero everything and they have good flavors like watermelon, blackberry, mango-grapefruit etc.. also Metrowater is like this too. OH and can I just say how refreshing Powerade Zero is!! I am so excited I found this today- I am going to bring this to my workout/run tomorrow.

Last edited by Kristine29; 03-13-2011 at 05:38 PM..
Old 03-13-2011, 05:39 PM   #335
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Swirveegrl
Stats: 5'4" 215.8/149.8/145
WOE: 50 carbs/day
Start Date: 2/3/11
Hi kristine

I'm curious if you are doing this one your own, or going to the clinic? My suggestion is to follow the guidelines provided by your clinic, because your plan is designed for you specifically to meet YOUR goals. I wouldn't recommend straying from the plan for another week of meat only, unless your clinic orders it. The idea is to learn how to eat appropriately, to learn serving sizes, and self-control. Keep in mind this is not a CARNIVOUROUS eating plan only I think you will get very tired of that, and boredom is a sabotage for any new eating plan.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:43 PM   #336
Senior LCF Member

HI Rachel,

Thanks for your input..yes I can totally see boredom setting in with just eating meat. I am just a bit nervous at changing things up.
I am doing this on my own because there isn't a clinic near me. A friend of my mom's did Medi and sent me the information. If need be I will travel to another state to visit a clinic if I am not able to do this on my own.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:09 PM   #337
Senior LCF Member

O wow! That's kool that you are doing this solo. This is a great board for support. I can't imagine having to drive out of state. Thankfully, my clinic is 15mins from my house. I think you will get MEATED out if you do it for another week, because you pretty much have already done 2 weeks. I would add your veggies in conservatively, that is what I did. I gradually increased to incorporate 2 servings daily. Your weight loss will decrease, because losing 10 lbs a week isn't normal. Larger gains happen in the initial couple of weeks, and then it tapers off. So don't beat yourself up, because this is not an ATKINS diet. It is a physician designed weight loss plan, with the expectation of changing your way of eating for life. We are all on this journey together
Old 03-13-2011, 09:57 PM   #338
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: irabeslim
Stats: 5'2" - 253/140/140
Start Date: January 21st, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary T8M View Post
I'm Not Keri, but pretty much ANY Magnesium works......the cheaper the better. Look on line and read about it first. This is an age old remedy.....Milk of Magnesia is magnesium. Some people (long ago) took epsom salt and it is magnesium. The "prep" many Dr. use prior to a colonoscopy is magnesium.

You titrate the dose to the action. The MAIN side affect of magnesium (as well as Vit C) is loose BMs/diarrhea, so that's when you know you've had enough. I usually tell people (I'm an RN who worked with gastrointerologists, running the recovery room, so I did a TON of patient teaching) to take it a 1-3 times a day. Maybe start with 250mg each time. Right now I take 250 mg with dinner. DH takes it 2-3 times "depending" :blush:.

Please read the bottle of colon cleanse stuff from the clinic....my guess is it's probably magnesium + "other stuff".....it's much cheaper to just stop by Walmart of CVS.

Thank you, Mary, colon cleanse does not have it - it is combination of various herbs. I use it but there is still an issue. I tried Magnesium Citrate but after a while it stops working unless you take a huge amount. I never took more than 500 mg, though. That's why I thought may be different magnesium like oxide is more effective
Old 03-14-2011, 10:41 AM   #339
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: chocolatefan
Stats: 202/162/160
Start Date: February 2011
Weighed in today and was very nervous since I had to miss my appointment last week. Also concerned because I had a few more almonds than I should have!!! Down 6 pounds!!!!! Total loss of 22 pounds!!! WoooHOOOO!
Old 03-14-2011, 11:16 AM   #340
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: grfxgrl
Stats: 5'4" - 213/192/134
WOE: Medi-Weightloss
Start Date: Restarting: 2/21/2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolatefan View Post
Weighed in today and was very nervous since I had to miss my appointment last week. Also concerned because I had a few more almonds than I should have!!! Down 6 pounds!!!!! Total loss of 22 pounds!!! WoooHOOOO!
That is amazing chocolatefan!!!! is this your 4th week? I hope to have some good news to report myself, weigh in is tonight!
Old 03-14-2011, 11:35 AM   #341
Senior LCF Member

Anyone experiencing weird rashes of any sort? I noticed middle of last week that I was getting an itchy bumpy rash on the top of my hands. Started on my right and is now on both hands. Looks like heat rash but its itchy.

The only thing ive changed is that I ran out of my unjury protein shake powder and was doing the medi shake powder...

I wonder if its that or if im have a late reaction to one of the supplements???
Old 03-14-2011, 12:12 PM   #342
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mommy2princesses
Stats: Ht 5'7'' 259.6/156/165
WOE: Medi Weight Loss
Start Date: May 11, 2010
Jeanie - I actually had to stop taking the fat burner pills about 2 months into acute. I always noticed I had a queasy stomach....it almost felt like that nauseus-nervous type of stomach. After experimenting with skipping various supplements I discovered it was the fat burner - no matter the time of day, with or without food. I don't know what other supplements you take, but you could try "skipping" one for a day or two and see if the feeling goes away. Try recording in your journal days/time that the feeling is there for you - you might see a pattern that way too. Hope that helps!

Irina - I take 500 mg of magnesium with breakfast in the morning, and it still works great! I had tried stool softeners and laxative type things before Mary telling us about the magnesium, and it definitely helps the most. All of the other remedies seemed to stop working at whatever dose I was taking and I was not interested in raising my dose from here on out. So far so good with the magnesium!

Over 100lbs. GONE FOREVER
Thanks to MWL!
8 months to Wellness....5/11/10 - 1/11/11

Last edited by mommy2princesses; 03-14-2011 at 12:18 PM..
Old 03-14-2011, 12:22 PM   #343
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grfxgrl View Post
That is amazing chocolatefan!!!! is this your 4th week? I hope to have some good news to report myself, weigh in is tonight!
Thanks!!! No, I'm starting week 6 today! Please come back and report your great news tonight!!!!
Old 03-14-2011, 12:23 PM   #344
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lbeetle
Stats: 172/148.5/130
WOE: Medi-WLC
Way to go, chocolate fan! I hope you feel a big sense of accomplishment. Yours, cheeringly, LBeetle

Tricia, this may seem too simple, but any chance it is dry skin? You might not be having much fat in your diet. But I am sure you are drinking a lot of water---so that would blow my theory. Yours, soothingly--Lbeetle
Old 03-14-2011, 01:43 PM   #345
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: keizerme
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fit2010 View Post
Junior LCF posters-once you've been on a while and become a "senior" poster, you not only can add a signature but you can private message someone too!

So, how long does that take? I love this site and I want a signature, too!
Old 03-14-2011, 02:38 PM   #346
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Tessa17
Stats: 184/144.0/135
Start Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Great job chocolatefan! That's fantastic I'm hoping I can have great numbers like you at my weigh in tomorrow. I am crossing my fingers that I hit the 10lb mark tomorrow morning
Old 03-14-2011, 03:06 PM   #347
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: betty_going_85
Stats: 250/192.4/150 restart 236/222.6/150
Start Date: December 2010/ 9/9/2013
Quote:
Great job. It's just so motivating when you see weight loss every week even if it is not a big number. My weigh-in is tomorrow morning and I'm not expecting much because I just did not have a good week. I'll be happy with any loss not matter how small. Keep doing what you're doing.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:57 PM   #348
Senior LCF Member

Wow it's so motivating to see everyone's progress on here! Keep it up. This seems to be the only diet that is actually working...so far so good

I bought an Ironman Tanita scale which is great. I like how it tells you how much of you is muscle...the fat percentage is helpful too.

As of today I am down 9 pounds!

What do people do who work out? I am finding that it is hard to get through my runs due to lack of carbs. Any suggestions? I will be starting week two on Wed.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:01 PM   #349
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cheftrish
Stats: 5'5" 178.8/171.6/130
Start Date: January 23 2014
Great job Chocolatefan!!!

Grfxgrl I got weird rashes with the colon cleanser so stopped taking them. Since I only took them at night I knew that was what it was, I would start breaking out in hives midway through the night. I stopped taking them and they disappeared.

Keizerme, 60 posts and you will be a "senior" member!!

I am going off the boards for a while...little trip to sunny VI!! So excited! I can actually fit into my bathing suit!!
TTFN!
Old 03-14-2011, 05:10 PM   #350
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine29 View Post

What do people do who work out? I am finding that it is hard to get through my runs due to lack of carbs. Any suggestions? I will be starting week two on Wed.
WooooHOOOOOOO!!!! That's great!!! 9 pounds in one week!!!! That's fantastic! I was told not to exercise the first week, and I know why--I was very, very weak, a little dizzy/lightheaded, and very sluggish. But my energy picked up by weeks 2 and 3. I wish I was a runner, but I only walk. I am able to get a decent walk in 3-4 times a week or so. I don't go very fast, but it's something. I know there are a few runners on this board so I know there's a solution for you. Keep up the great work!!!!!
Old 03-14-2011, 05:25 PM   #351
Senior LCF Member

Down 2.2 more pounds, am now at an even 200. I so wanted to break into the 100's. 1.4 of that was fat, so I guess I am doing pretty good. 13 pounds in 3 weeks, is that kind of slow or am i being silly

I asked the NP when i was getting my AS about the rash, she didnt have much to say and wouldnt even come near me to look at it. That kinda ticked me off. She said because it wasnt all over my body it was probably contact related. I cant for the life of me think of what I've been in contact with and continue to be since the rash seems to be spreading.

I picked up some magnesium tonight on my way home, so I will stop the colon cleanser and see if that's it

Wanna try for a bigger number next Monday, hoping to up my working out but I seem to have jacked up my ankles some with Zumba AND it'll be my TOM in a few days, so im probably setting myself up for disappointment huh
Old 03-14-2011, 05:25 PM   #352
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
WooooHOOOOOOO!!!! That's great!!! 9 pounds in one week!!!! That's fantastic! I was told not to exercise the first week, and I know why--I was very, very weak, a little dizzy/lightheaded, and very sluggish. But my energy picked up by weeks 2 and 3. I wish I was a runner, but I only walk. I am able to get a decent walk in 3-4 times a week or so. I don't go very fast, but it's something. I know there are a few runners on this board so I know there's a solution for you. Keep up the great work!!!!!
ChocolateFan- thanks for the praises! I actually started the diet earlier, but found out I messed up the first week, so I went back and did it over a gain. I am happy with my 9lbs of fat loss

You can become a runner- heck if I can do it I believe anyone can. Walking is the first step, then try speed walking..pump those arms, or you can try running to certain points along your walk then gradually increase the distance.
There's a great site for those who are interested in running and beginning to run, Cool Running it has a great thread for beginning runners, overweight runners (200lb beginning runners) and also tons of information on races in your area. There is also a program called "Couch 2 5K) that can get you on your way to running. I have heard some other people mention that they wished they ran.

I started walking, speed walking a half marathon for Team and Training, and now this past summer I began running 5K's and 5 mile races. IT IS POSSIBLE...just like this weight loss!

I know it is muscle fatigue that I am having while running due to lack of carbs. Maybe I should eat a bar or something before.

ChefTrish- oh how I wish to be someplace warm too! Have an awesome time.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:28 PM   #353
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Down 2.2 more pounds, am now at an even 200. I so wanted to break into the 100's. 1.4 of that was fat, so I guess I am doing pretty good. 13 pounds in 3 weeks, is that kind of slow or am i being silly

I asked the NP when i was getting my AS about the rash, she didnt have much to say and wouldnt even come near me to look at it. That kinda ticked me off. She said because it wasnt all over my body it was probably contact related. I cant for the life of me think of what I've been in contact with and continue to be since the rash seems to be spreading.

I picked up some magnesium tonight on my way home, so I will stop the colon cleanser and see if that's it

Wanna try for a bigger number next Monday, hoping to up my working out but I seem to have jacked up my ankles some with Zumba AND it'll be my TOM in a few days, so im probably setting myself up for disappointment huh
CONGRATULATIONS Tricia! I can't wait till I get to see a 1 in the front of the scale. Great work! It could also be that, as you said, things aren't "moving right". Once the magnesium kicks in things might "start moving" and the weight loss could be more.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:29 PM   #354
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Wow it's so motivating to see everyone's progress on here! Keep it up. This seems to be the only diet that is actually working...so far so good

I bought an Ironman Tanita scale which is great. I like how it tells you how much of you is muscle...the fat percentage is helpful too.

9 pounds! thats fantastic!!!

As far as the working out goes, my clinic told me to have a small snack of fruit + protein 30 minutes before working out and then another 100 calories of something after. Examples that were given to me were:

1/2 apple + 1 tbsp peanut butter
Protein shake made with 5-6 strawberries
12 almonds with 1 tbsp raisins (tiny snack box)
100 calories of cheese with 10 grapes

this is in ADDITION TO your normal caloric intake of 500-700 cals of protein. Also, they recommend substituting some of your water on workout days for powerade zero.

Hope this helps!
Old 03-14-2011, 05:34 PM   #355
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbeetle View Post
Tricia, this may seem too simple, but any chance it is dry skin? You might not be having much fat in your diet. But I am sure you are drinking a lot of water---so that would blow my theory. Yours, soothingly--Lbeetle
You know, it could be that, i hope its that! I will keep my hands hydrated with lotion and see if that does it. Thanks for the advice!
Old 03-14-2011, 05:42 PM   #356
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
9 pounds! thats fantastic!!!

As far as the working out goes, my clinic told me to have a small snack of fruit + protein 30 minutes before working out and then another 100 calories of something after. Examples that were given to me were:

1/2 apple + 1 tbsp peanut butter
Protein shake made with 5-6 strawberries
12 almonds with 1 tbsp raisins (tiny snack box)
100 calories of cheese with 10 grapes

this is in ADDITION TO your normal caloric intake of 500-700 cals of protein. Also, they recommend substituting some of your water on workout days for powerade zero.

Hope this helps!
OH thanks...that's helpful. I guess that's why someone told me that they don't recommend working out the first week because you can't eat anything other than meat. I am so used to working out that I can't sit still for a week to wait the meat week out.
Powerade Zero is delicious...nice change to my usual water.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:46 PM   #357
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

Im looking for a new scale that tells me fat and muscle %. Does this one tell water weight?

I had a VERY sedentary lifestyle when I started Medi. The lack of carbs, and low calories KILLED me at first! I was light headed, headachy, shaky with even the least little movement.....I was weak and tired, even with drinking 16 oz of Power Aid Zero daily, as well as getting a total of at least 128 oz of fluid/day. That went on for a couple of weeks then just started getting better. Now we walk at least 6 miles a day, 4 times a week, (with a little jogging thrown in for good measure). I would never have believed I'd actually enjoy walking (and trying to jog) at 59 yr old, but I do.

A lot of Medi people have used, or are using C25K.

You're REALLY doing well.....KUTGW
Old 03-14-2011, 05:52 PM   #358
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheftrish View Post

I am going off the boards for a while...little trip to sunny VI!! So excited! I can actually fit into my bathing suit!!
TTFN!
Have a WONDERFUL time!

We went for a walk on the beach today (after we had already walked 6 miles earlier in the day), for the first time since late fall.......I was shocked to see so many kids! I forgot it's Spring Break for many!

The water was freezing when a wave came up on my bare feet! You can really tell the tourists.....they're the adults IN the water!
Old 03-14-2011, 05:57 PM   #359
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary T8M View Post
Im looking for a new scale that tells me fat and muscle %. Does this one tell water weight?

I had a VERY sedentary lifestyle when I started Medi. The lack of carbs, and low calories KILLED me at first! I was light headed, headachy, shaky with even the least little movement.....I was weak and tired, even with drinking 16 oz of Power Aid Zero daily, as well as getting a total of at least 128 oz of fluid/day. That went on for a couple of weeks then just started getting better. Now we walk at least 6 miles a day, 4 times a week, (with a little jogging thrown in for good measure). I would never have believed I'd actually enjoy walking (and trying to jog) at 59 yr old, but I do.

A lot of Medi people have used, or are using C25K.

You're REALLY doing well.....KUTGW
Thanks Mary! The scale I bought is a Tanita Ironman scale and I believe it does tell you water weight..only I'll be honest I haven't figured it completely out! HA! Just got it yesterday. I bought mine on Amazon because that was the best price with shipping. here's the one I bought: Tanita BC-548 Ironman Body Composition Monitor, Glass:
Amazon.com: Tanita BC-548 Ironman Body Composition Monitor,...Amazon.com: Tanita BC-548 Ironman Body Composition Monitor,...
6miles is great!

Thanks for the encouragement!
-Kristine
Old 03-14-2011, 06:40 PM   #360
Senior LCF Member

Trish I AM SO JEALOUS! Have a wonderful time We will miss you terribly
Closed Thread