Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2011, 05:59 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: chocolatefan
Stats: 202/162/160
WOE: MWL
Start Date: February 2011
Medi vs. WW: How to Live in the Real World?

Everyone: So glad to have found this forum. I'm in week 2. My weigh-in was yesterday and I was thrilled to have lost 8 pounds in my first week. Like all of you, I've tried everything to get jump-started on a plan and I think I've finally found one that will work. I am not taking any of the appetite suppressants, and the first two days were absolutely horrific, but by day 3, I felt pretty good.

My question is: We've all learned over the years that any "diet" that severely restricts any food group is unrealistic over the long haul. We know that it's not good to eliminate whole grains and good fats because we actually need them. We also know that as human beings, we are going to want to have a cookie or a slice of birthday cake every now and then. WW seems to acknowledge that and says to people, "Hey--You can enjoy good (tasty/sugary/fatty) food every once in awhile IN MODERATION."

I haven't seen anything in the Medi literature that says it's okay in life to enjoy a brownie every blue moon. It seems like this plan is so restrictive and that you just take pills to get over feeling deprived. Don't get me wrong: I'm thrilled with the progress I've made so far and plan to stick with it until I reach my goal--but then what? It seems crazy to not have a slice of whole grain bread for 6 weeks! It doesn't seem healthy (or realistic) at all, actually.

Longtime Medi folks: What is the plan for living in the real world?
chocolatefan is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2011, 10:29 AM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I ain't Medi, but PLEASE don't say
Quote:
We've all learned over the years that any "diet" that severely restricts any food group is unrealistic over the long haul. We know that it's not good to eliminate whole grains and good fats because we actually need them.
like it's some kinda fact!

there is NO SUCH THING as necessary carbs. many of us have been very low carb for years and wouldn't DREAM of eating whole grains. I don't think there is anything unrealistic about this at all. it is the woe that makes the most sense for the majority of obese people who are carb addicts.

talking for yourself is fine, but please don't make general comments about everyone like that. thanks and best of luck!
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:47 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DreamWarrior
Stats: 161/161/145
WOE: Medi Weight Loss Clinic
Start Date: 23 Oct 09
Yeah, you can live the rest of your life and be totally healthy on a lo carb lifestyle. Once you're in maintenance, your clinic will teach you how to live in "in the real world" through moderation.

But, while you're losing weight... sticking with the plan is the best route. Eat what authorized and avoid what's not. If it wasn't drastic enough we'd all be back at ww counting points. WW didnt work for me because I still craved... I no longer crave, and I am currently NOT on meds. I regained some of my weight because I got injured and continued to eat like a runner with a high metabolism.... but during that weight gain time frame, it was NEVER because of french fries, or pasta overload, or too many sandwiches one day.

This WOE changes your prospective of food and you'll see that its all for the best. You're in a learning phase and soon it wall be clear.
DreamWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:57 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mary T8M
Stats: 5'2" 228/144/125 good-bye 150's
WOE: LC/LF/LCal (medi)
Start Date: 4/23/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolatefan View Post
Everyone: So glad to have found this forum. I'm in week 2. My weigh-in was yesterday and I was thrilled to have lost 8 pounds in my first week. Like all of you, I've tried everything to get jump-started on a plan and I think I've finally found one that will work. I am not taking any of the appetite suppressants, and the first two days were absolutely horrific, but by day 3, I felt pretty good.

My question is: We've all learned over the years that any "diet" that severely restricts any food group is unrealistic over the long haul. We know that it's not good to eliminate whole grains and good fats because we actually need them. We also know that as human beings, we are going to want to have a cookie or a slice of birthday cake every now and then. WW seems to acknowledge that and says to people, "Hey--You can enjoy good (tasty/sugary/fatty) food every once in awhile IN MODERATION."

I haven't seen anything in the Medi literature that says it's okay in life to enjoy a brownie every blue moon. It seems like this plan is so restrictive and that you just take pills to get over feeling deprived. Don't get me wrong: I'm thrilled with the progress I've made so far and plan to stick with it until I reach my goal--but then what? It seems crazy to not have a slice of whole grain bread for 6 weeks! It doesn't seem healthy (or realistic) at all, actually.

Hi, and WELCOME.......I'm not sure where you live or how much weight you have to lose, but I have to say that NOT all MWL clinics are created equal, I wish yours had explained the program a little better maybe, or at least given you an idea of the phases.....the one I went to (Not going right now, due to finances, but still following the plan, and I WILL return ASAP) only took clients who needed to lose a BUNCH, and or had major health issues.....some clinics take anyone who wants to try the plan......NOT being critical just sayin'..... SO with that said the plan was created (according to my Dr.) to #1 QUICKLY get weight off patients, in order to get the stress removed from their organs, and to get their blood work back in a normal range as quickly as possible. This uses a VERY restrictive diet, of low fat, low carb, low calories along with supplements, and exercise.

#2 to THEN teach people how to add back HEALTHY carbs, and fats into an ongoing lifestyle.....more than just a way of eating, but being healthy with everything.

On the printout you get weekly from your clinic it will tell you how much body fat % you have, how many calories you need daily to MAINTAIN your current weight, and what your BMI is....along with other things, so by the time you have gotten to your goal weight/BMI you will have a better idea of how many healthy calories you need to MAINTAIN that (goal) healthy weight. Right now you're probably doing aboput 500 calories of lean protein a day to maximize your weightloss! That WILL NOT be what you are expected to eat forever.

PLEASE talk to your clinic about the phases, and what the game plan for you is.
Again WELCOME to this board. You'll never find more supportive people than you find here. Be sure to check out some of the older threads and the recipes....you'll find lots of good ideas

Mary T8M (Tatem)

New member of the 80 pounds gone club

Whether you think you can, or you can't, either way you're right!
Henry Ford
Mary T8M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:28 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
I ain't Medi, but PLEASE don't say like it's some kinda fact!

there is NO SUCH THING as necessary carbs. many of us have been very low carb for years and wouldn't DREAM of eating whole grains. I don't think there is anything unrealistic about this at all. it is the woe that makes the most sense for the majority of obese people who are carb addicts.

talking for yourself is fine, but please don't make general comments about everyone like that. thanks and best of luck!
A little judgmental, but that's okay. I did not mean to generalize anyone. I was simply stating what is a FACT and that is that we have been told that it's not good to eliminate entire food groups in an healthy diet. Most in the medical profession would agree. If you're doing well without any whole grains, that's fabulous. Good for you. (And who cares? It's not that serious.)

Sheesh! I thought this was supposed to be a supportive environment where it's okay to ask questions. I would hate to think that this place is only welcome to those who subscribe to the mantra.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:35 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary T8M View Post
Hi, and WELCOME.......I'm not sure where you live or how much weight you have to lose, but I have to say that NOT all MWL clinics are created equal, I wish yours had explained the program a little better maybe, or at least given you an idea of the phases.....the one I went to (Not going right now, due to finances, but still following the plan, and I WILL return ASAP) only took clients who needed to lose a BUNCH, and or had major health issues.....some clinics take anyone who wants to try the plan......NOT being critical just sayin'..... SO with that said the plan was created (according to my Dr.) to #1 QUICKLY get weight off patients, in order to get the stress removed from their organs, and to get their blood work back in a normal range as quickly as possible. This uses a VERY restrictive diet, of low fat, low carb, low calories along with supplements, and exercise.

#2 to THEN teach people how to add back HEALTHY carbs, and fats into an ongoing lifestyle.....more than just a way of eating, but being healthy with everything.

On the printout you get weekly from your clinic it will tell you how much body fat % you have, how many calories you need daily to MAINTAIN your current weight, and what your BMI is....along with other things, so by the time you have gotten to your goal weight/BMI you will have a better idea of how many healthy calories you need to MAINTAIN that (goal) healthy weight. Right now you're probably doing aboput 500 calories of lean protein a day to maximize your weightloss! That WILL NOT be what you are expected to eat forever.

PLEASE talk to your clinic about the phases, and what the game plan for you is.
Again WELCOME to this board. You'll never find more supportive people than you find here. Be sure to check out some of the older threads and the recipes....you'll find lots of good ideas
Thanks for this. Yes, I actually have a great clinic and I know all about the phases. What I was simply asking is if the plan builds in strategies for real life when you really WILL be at a wedding, or it's Christmas, or whatever, and you will want to eat unhealthy carbs. WW does that. Yes, I know I'll get to eat healthy carbs all of my life and that's great, but I think FOR ME, and for a lot of people, it would be nice to know that I can PLAN for the unhealthy cookie once in awhile and not have it throw everything off. I have to say that while your post is extremely supportive, I have to hope that it's okay to ask questions around here. Thanks again!!!
Old 02-15-2011, 01:04 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mary T8M
Stats: 5'2" 228/144/125 good-bye 150's
WOE: LC/LF/LCal (medi)
Start Date: 4/23/10
Quote:
Thanks for this. Yes, I actually have a great clinic and I know all about the phases. What I was simply asking is if the plan builds in strategies for real life when you really WILL be at a wedding, or it's Christmas, or whatever, and you will want to eat unhealthy carbs. WW does that. Yes, I know I'll get to eat healthy carbs all of my life and that's great, but I think FOR ME, and for a lot of people, it would be nice to know that I can PLAN for the unhealthy cookie once in awhile and not have it throw everything off. I have to say that while your post is extremely supportive, I have to hope that it's okay to ask questions around here. Thanks again!!!
By all means ASK, and post your ideas too You MIGHT even get to a point where your clinic will tell you to have a planned higher carb day.....like if you are stalled.....of course that's ONLY IF you've been sticking to the plan in the first place BUT while this board is wonderful, and very supportive, I'd urge you to talk to the people at your clinic.....after all they're the ones you're paying your hard earned money to!
I think my reaction was that I've seen a lot of people come and go.....and the people who have been here even longer than me will probably agree, that we can almost guess who will succeed and who won't by how fast they want to "modify" the plan. I'm sorry if I read your post wrong. I think Medi does a great job getting us ready to face the real world, and to make real world decisions. I'm sure NONE of the centers will beat anyone up (verbally of course) for going off plan or even gaining.....they just want us all to succeed. I'm sure the reaction would be OK, now just get back on plan (regardless of what phases you're in)
Mary T8M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:47 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary T8M View Post
By all means ASK, and post your ideas too You MIGHT even get to a point where your clinic will tell you to have a planned higher carb day.....like if you are stalled.....of course that's ONLY IF you've been sticking to the plan in the first place BUT while this board is wonderful, and very supportive, I'd urge you to talk to the people at your clinic.....after all they're the ones you're paying your hard earned money to!
I think my reaction was that I've seen a lot of people come and go.....and the people who have been here even longer than me will probably agree, that we can almost guess who will succeed and who won't by how fast they want to "modify" the plan. I'm sorry if I read your post wrong. I think Medi does a great job getting us ready to face the real world, and to make real world decisions. I'm sure NONE of the centers will beat anyone up (verbally of course) for going off plan or even gaining.....they just want us all to succeed. I'm sure the reaction would be OK, now just get back on plan (regardless of what phases you're in)
Thanks again! I can imagine that's true that if you try to modify the plan then the results will also be modified! Right now, I have no plans to change anything and I'm very happy with the results. I really appreciate your time!
Old 02-15-2011, 06:44 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mommy2princesses
Stats: Ht 5'7'' 259.6/156/165
WOE: Medi Weight Loss
Start Date: May 11, 2010
I just want to chime in really quick here, I started MWL this past May and lost 100 lbs. I am now in maintenance. I believe whole-heartedly in this program - as no other time was I this successful. With WW I quickly learned how to "work" in those cheats....but with MWL, its either stick to the rules or don't. Yes, of course there were a few bites here and there off plan, but overall I stuck to it. Living by the rules for 8 months changed how I see and feel about food. For that to have happened, I know I needed to adopt the rules completely while in acute. I attended birthdays, parties, weddings, holidays, eating out at least 1/week.....and managed to eat by the guidelines.

I do agree with Mary though, it does seem the quicker people look to change or "modify" the plan - the less success is met. We all need to remember when we "cheat", the only person we cheat is ourself.

Now in maintenance I do not feel deprived at all. I eat starches, 3-4 servings every day. BUT - I now know what a serving really is......and I no longer want a whole brownie, if I really am craving it then 1 or 2 bites usually gets me over it. To say going 6 weeks without a piece of bread seems crazy seems off to me - I was in acute for 8 months, bread never was missed...nor were a lot of other foods that I had thought I couldn't live without. The positives of this lifestyle change so overwhelmingly dismiss any food you might miss.

I don't know - we all need to find the right way for us to get healthy. More importantly, that "right" way needs to come at the right time....when we are ready to give ourselves over completely to a process of change. I will never be able to thank Medi enough for how it has changed my life,the best way I can is to continue at this healthy weight where I incorporate physical activity into my daily life, make the right food choices, and if I want to splurge eating something then I bump up my cardio that day and make sure my other choices are on target.

I hope you find success in the program that is right for you, this is a highly supportive group of people that all understand what it's like to try and try again to lose weight.

Over 100lbs. GONE FOREVER
Thanks to MWL!
8 months to Wellness....5/11/10 - 1/11/11
mommy2princesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:47 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2princesses View Post
I just want to chime in really quick here, I started MWL this past May and lost 100 lbs. I am now in maintenance. I believe whole-heartedly in this program - as no other time was I this successful. With WW I quickly learned how to "work" in those cheats....but with MWL, its either stick to the rules or don't. Yes, of course there were a few bites here and there off plan, but overall I stuck to it. Living by the rules for 8 months changed how I see and feel about food. For that to have happened, I know I needed to adopt the rules completely while in acute. I attended birthdays, parties, weddings, holidays, eating out at least 1/week.....and managed to eat by the guidelines.

I do agree with Mary though, it does seem the quicker people look to change or "modify" the plan - the less success is met. We all need to remember when we "cheat", the only person we cheat is ourself.

Now in maintenance I do not feel deprived at all. I eat starches, 3-4 servings every day. BUT - I now know what a serving really is......and I no longer want a whole brownie, if I really am craving it then 1 or 2 bites usually gets me over it. To say going 6 weeks without a piece of bread seems crazy seems off to me - I was in acute for 8 months, bread never was missed...nor were a lot of other foods that I had thought I couldn't live without. The positives of this lifestyle change so overwhelmingly dismiss any food you might miss.

I don't know - we all need to find the right way for us to get healthy. More importantly, that "right" way needs to come at the right time....when we are ready to give ourselves over completely to a process of change. I will never be able to thank Medi enough for how it has changed my life,the best way I can is to continue at this healthy weight where I incorporate physical activity into my daily life, make the right food choices, and if I want to splurge eating something then I bump up my cardio that day and make sure my other choices are on target.

I hope you find success in the program that is right for you, this is a highly supportive group of people that all understand what it's like to try and try again to lose weight.
This is so helpful! Thanks!!! I have lurked around a bit and noticed your posts immediately. They are so positive and inspiring. I have to say that I've also done WW before and lost 40 pounds in the process. Gained it all back. I tried WW again about a month ago and just couldn't face counting those darn points!!! And the scale didn't BUDGE at all. To walk into my first weigh-in 8 pounds lighter with Medi and feeling like I FINALLY got a really good jump start to a healthy life was very motivating. I'm just not where you are yet--only week two. But I think once I actually get further along and see that it's still doable, the doubts will ease up a bit. I have stuck to the plan religiously and I don't feel too deprived (and this WITHOUT any appetite suppressants). Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with this. I just wondered what the future would look like! Two questions: 1) So you have not had ONE slice of bread in 8 months? and 2) are you taking the prescriptions?
Old 02-16-2011, 07:52 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnK
Stats: 5'2" 133/133/115
WOE: MediWeightLoss
Start Date: 7/22/14
Quote:

Hi and WELCOME (and I DO mean that)! Thanks for your note; it says everything I thought when I started Medi last July. I never did any formal diets before, but I did see several family members gain their weight back & more after reaching their goals on WW. Somehow this plan seems to have re-wired my brain to eating more "healthfully," (is that a word??) You WILL gradually add back all of your food groups. I've also found numerous foods to take the place of some of my favorite high cal/hi fat things on the website Netrition.com. Like powdered xylitol to replace powdered sugar, carba nada fettucini (fabulous sub for pasta), all the DaVinci sugar free syrups, and Walden Farms sugar free syrups (no carbs, no cals, no nothing except flavor...). I use the Joseph's Flax, oat bran, & whole wheat pita bread. You just have to experiment to find things that you like & that can fit in with your plan.
Mary and Keri (above) are terrific support people, as are so many others here. And take all your questions to your clinic appointments. That's what you pay them for. One other suggestion ~ I started using My Fitness Pal in December (a free calorie counting program that you can download). You can track everything you eat, all your exercise & even get the nutritional info for all kinds of recipes. Wish I'd found it sooner!!
Hang in there with us, and congrats on your great loss so far!!
Old 02-16-2011, 12:44 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: TheAudGirlOut
Stats: 174/165/120
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: 2/02/1011
I think you and I might be the same way...not jumping to conclusions, but it was a the idea I got.
I tend to have to know what's coming up, what the end result will be etc And that doesn't just pertain to MWL.
I like to know all the possibly outcomes, options, what-ifs, and so on about everything, I'm curious by nature and generally dislike surprises. (Painting a great picture of myself...)

So I was the same way, granted I'm only on my 3rd week, so I still have a lot of experiences I haven't going through with this and questions I'm researching.
My clinic didn't explain anything at all. I had only been to Jenny Craig before, lost 22 pounds, left, gained it back and some, went back, lost 15 or so...left again because it just wasn't working.
Well my Medi didn't explain a thing really. The folks on here and this forum has answered more questions then my clinic ever will!
They didn't even explain ketosis, how it works, what to do to stay in it, what happens if you test dark, light etc. I had to figure it all out on my own, ask my roommate whose also attending the clinic and use this forum & google.
I wondered the same about carbs. I knew veggies were introduced, then fruits and I thought "Wonder when everything else will come back, if it does" they never explained that this program is a lifelong conditioning that they're working us up to. And that I can very well never want flour and sugars again.
I had no idea it was a detox and gradual buildup...
I'm happy to of found out it was though. I love the idea of stripping my diet down and replacing it with whole foods that my body needs, not crap that my mind wants.
I've "slipped up" twice, and curse myself for it...know exactly why I did it and how to avoid it.
I agree with the "re-wiring" it really does...you just have to let go and trust it and allow your body to be heard...our bodies don't crave anything we haven't forced it to get used to. I have to remind myself that my body is craving real food, natural ingredients and good health, not all the fillers and man made stuff we've forced it to get used to.

Good luck through it all! Can't wait to see how you do, I'm cheering for ya!!!
TheAudGirlOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:26 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Two questions: 1) So you have not had ONE slice of bread in 8 months? and 2) are you taking the prescriptions?
In my 8 months of acute, I never had bread, pasta, rice, potatoes....the times I "slipped" were on things like goldfish crackers (I have a 2 and 5 yr old!), or bites of things they were eating. When I started Medi it really was the right time for me to finally succeed, it was as if I wasn't doing it just for me anymore, but more for my girls. And always keeping that in mind really helped me stick with it. Now in maintenance, I do eat all of those things - but for breads I do the 100 calorie English muffins (mmmmm....with egg beaters and a slice of swiss cheese is one of my favorite breakfasts!), or flat-out bread (wraps are great for sandwiches, burgers, pizza crust), and whole grain versions of everything I can find. Reading labels is a huge part of my grocery shopping now!

Prescriptions - I started on 3 appetite suppressants a day which I quickly weaned myself down to 2. I then noticed I was skipping/missing one of those doses and weaned myself to 1. When I knew I was nearing maintenance I stopped them altogether. Did they help me at the beginning - absolutely....but I quickly saw how much I was capable of on my own. I can honestly say I have probably over 100 AS sitting in a cabinet at home. Not quite sure why I've kept them, it's a "comfort" just knowing they are there if I were to need them.

MWL is a definite lifestyle, it's all about making healthy choices. I will say that no one who sees me eat would ever know that I was on some sort of program now. Stick with the program to the T, you will soon see how "doable" this is in the real world.

Ask any questions that you have.....I found such strength and wisdom when I started MWL and found this forum. And even now, when I know the rules it really helps keep me accountable to keep coming here. Good luck!
Old 02-16-2011, 08:45 PM   #14

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
Quote:
A little judgmental, but that's okay. I did not mean to generalize anyone. I was simply stating what is a FACT and that is that we have been told that it's not good to eliminate entire food groups in an healthy diet. Most in the medical profession would agree. If you're doing well without any whole grains, that's fabulous. Good for you. (And who cares? It's not that serious.)

Sheesh! I thought this was supposed to be a supportive environment where it's okay to ask questions. I would hate to think that this place is only welcome to those who subscribe to the mantra.
sorry you took it that way. I feel very passionately about it! I think uncounted people's lives are being shortened and made less happy by this bad advice about grains and carbs. so yes, it's VERY serious!

I think most people on this forum have little respect for the nutritional guidance provided by "most medical professionals" since that's how we got fat in the first place...

it's wonderful to question and wonderful to hear other people's ideas, both!
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:51 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kelly4me
Stats: Lost 53 pounds 2010, Restart 2013
WOE: MWL in 2010, Low Carb 2013
Start Date: 8/27/2010, 10/22/2013
I find this thread pretty interesting. I had tried so many different things before I found Medi - WW, Jenny Craig, eDiets, Atkins, a personal trainer, you name it. I do think for me, the appetite suppressant was a BIG piece of my initial success. A lot of people said to me "I could never do what you're doing" - well, if I was hungry, I couldn't either! Medi has changed my relationship with food in a major way. I know that I can never go back to what I had been doing. I would definitely gain all the weight back (and probably more). I've been the human yo-yo and I'm over it! Oh yeah - and Medi also found my thyroid problem, something no other plan could have done. I love the medical testing aspects, knowing how much my cholesterol has gone down, etc.

One thing on the "whole grain" thing. I really think that the travesty that is the food pyramid is a major problem in our country today. It's given everyone carte blanche to wrap every meal in bread to make it portable. BAD IDEA. Whole grain or not, I think that our carb-laden standard American diet is killing us. My son is gluten intolerant and having to learn about that really opened my eyes to how unnecessary grains are. Yes, life is far less convenient, but his un-processed whole food diet is incredibly healthy. The book "Dangerous Grains" is a very interesting read. The more I learn about grains, the more I'm convinced that they were never intended to be eaten by man.

My main beef with WW is that you (generally) eat the same crap that you always did, just less of it. I think that this has changed somewhat since the advent of Points Plus, but I haven't done that new program.

I'm amazed at how sweet and/or salty foods taste now. I'm so sensitive to it after clearing that stuff out of my system. I'm very happy to have things like sweet potatoes and black beans back in my life, but the sugar and white carbs are going to stay very occasional treats here. My health is SO worth it.

Working on low carb lifestyle changes. I did Medi in 2010. Using their ideas to make permanent life changes on my own.

First goal: -20
Currently: -6.4
10/29: -2.2
11/5: -4.2

Last edited by kelly4me; 02-16-2011 at 09:53 PM..
kelly4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 06:58 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAudGirlOut View Post
I think you and I might be the same way...not jumping to conclusions, but it was a the idea I got.
I tend to have to know what's coming up, what the end result will be etc And that doesn't just pertain to MWL.
I like to know all the possibly outcomes, options, what-ifs, and so on about everything, I'm curious by nature and generally dislike surprises. (Painting a great picture of myself...)

So I was the same way, granted I'm only on my 3rd week, so I still have a lot of experiences I haven't going through with this and questions I'm researching.
My clinic didn't explain anything at all. I had only been to Jenny Craig before, lost 22 pounds, left, gained it back and some, went back, lost 15 or so...left again because it just wasn't working.
Well my Medi didn't explain a thing really. The folks on here and this forum has answered more questions then my clinic ever will!
They didn't even explain ketosis, how it works, what to do to stay in it, what happens if you test dark, light etc. I had to figure it all out on my own, ask my roommate whose also attending the clinic and use this forum & google.
I wondered the same about carbs. I knew veggies were introduced, then fruits and I thought "Wonder when everything else will come back, if it does" they never explained that this program is a lifelong conditioning that they're working us up to. And that I can very well never want flour and sugars again.
I had no idea it was a detox and gradual buildup...
I'm happy to of found out it was though. I love the idea of stripping my diet down and replacing it with whole foods that my body needs, not crap that my mind wants.
I've "slipped up" twice, and curse myself for it...know exactly why I did it and how to avoid it.
I agree with the "re-wiring" it really does...you just have to let go and trust it and allow your body to be heard...our bodies don't crave anything we haven't forced it to get used to. I have to remind myself that my body is craving real food, natural ingredients and good health, not all the fillers and man made stuff we've forced it to get used to.

Good luck through it all! Can't wait to see how you do, I'm cheering for ya!!!
This has been INCREDIBLY helpful! Thank you. Yes, I too was given minimal information about ketosis. I have a general idea of the purpose, but for a program that seems to rely on our maintaining this state, it would have been nice to get more information about it. And you are the FIRST PERSON to actually tell me that the whole point is to go through a sort-of "detox," with the goal being that we eventually don't have the cravings for the rotten foods we've (at least I) have been eating. And I have to say, already in week two--I don't have the PHYSICAL cravings. I have the memory of the flavors and crave a brownie or nachos or whatever, but it's not the same as when I literally HAD TO HAVE a slice of cake--my body just needed it in a physical way. So I'm starting to get the point. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help! Thanks again!
Old 02-20-2011, 05:05 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

My "mind" still craves things - from associating food with certain feelings for so long. The power is in now realizing that, and being able to make different choices. Especially during times where I'm stressing out - I find myself wandering in the kitchen and looking for food to eat.

You definitely go through a carb-detox, and when in maintenance if I have a few days in a row with more carbs I definitely find myself wanting them more, so then it's a few days of watching myself closely.

Good luck!
Old 02-20-2011, 07:15 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: irabeslim
Stats: 5'2" - 253/140/140
Start Date: January 21st, 2010
Quote:
My "mind" still craves things - from associating food with certain feelings for so long. The power is in now realizing that, and being able to make different choices. Especially during times where I'm stressing out - I find myself wandering in the kitchen and looking for food to eat.

You definitely go through a carb-detox, and when in maintenance if I have a few days in a row with more carbs I definitely find myself wanting them more, so then it's a few days of watching myself closely.

Good luck!
I reached my goal in October, now I am about 6 more pounds from that and my demons are still out there. I give in from time to time to eating carbs and sweets even though I am perfectly aware of the situations when that would happen like all-inclusive vacation last month, etc. I noticed if I just limit this "binge" to maximim of 2 days, I am easily going back to my WOE and it does not affect my weight. If it goes longer I have a very difficult time to stop. The main difference with my past diets is that I I have lost so much and feel so good and enjoy myself in every aspect that I have enough will power to stop. And yes, once once I do my carb-purging mode for 3-4 days, I am fine. This time it was even more important to detox because two weeks after coming back from that vacation I went for my foot surgery and home bound for 6-8 weeks. No exercise, no distractions, just kitchen and me. I make sure I am eating acute diet, just more of it, have my Medi-friendly desserts and snacks and so far I am doing good - no cravings. So I hope learned enough about myself that I should be able to manage all real life situations (medical included) in th future.

"Nothing tastes better than thin feels"
-------------------
Was in wellness!
Restart on 04/05/11 to lose 15 gained lb
253/148/140
irabeslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 11:46 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Good luck!
Thanks so much!!! Yes, I can now see the point of the detox! And I can see that with some re-wiring of my mind, I can get through it. But you're so right that we do associate certain feelings with food. I can sit here right now and think about how much I enjoy my Sunday evening television with a big bowl of buttery popcorn. I can taste it now, and it's great! Or how much I love the apple pie they serve at a local restaurant. Or fried chicken! All of it I can taste in my mind. I think we have to accept and actually mourn the loss of some of this way of life. It's over. And it's a loss (in a way--we're actually gaining so much more). We're gaining good health, a longer life, and a better experience in the long run. I don't think anybody says at their deathbed: "I wish I had more time to eat." I think they say: "I wish I had more time with my family."

You look amazing in your profile picture, by the way!!!
Old 02-21-2011, 04:06 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Thank You! :-)
Old 02-21-2011, 09:11 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SonoRoo
Stats: 5'1" ~ 187.6/162/115
Start Date: May 20, 2010
I think long term, things like potatoes, bread, rice, etc...have to be looked at as a treat. Maybe once a week or so and very small portions. Honestly, to someone with a carb addiction they are poison. You wouldn't say to an alcoholic that once they get sober awhile they can start adding back in some beer. So why would I want to add back something that I don't nutritionally need. I can get plenty of healthy carbs full of fiber and nutrients without the starches. JMNSHO, I want to be healthy and I don't want to sabotage myself. I've already done it once and I won't continue that mindset.

Do Over Mini Goal: at or below 160 before May
SonoRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:19 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonoRoo View Post
I think long term, things like potatoes, bread, rice, etc...have to be looked at as a treat. Maybe once a week or so and very small portions. Honestly, to someone with a carb addiction they are poison. You wouldn't say to an alcoholic that once they get sober awhile they can start adding back in some beer. So why would I want to add back something that I don't nutritionally need. I can get plenty of healthy carbs full of fiber and nutrients without the starches. JMNSHO, I want to be healthy and I don't want to sabotage myself. I've already done it once and I won't continue that mindset.
You know I really like this view. My husband and I were just using the same analogy (alcoholic). It's a slippery slope for someone like me to have ONE chip! When I started this thread a few days ago, I was really questioning whether I could make it on this plan, but I have to say that now in week 3, I am starting to think I can. I don't have the really ridiculous cravings anymore (without AS), and I can see the real benefits from just cutting out the unhealthy food! I really appreciate everyone's feedback!
Old 02-22-2011, 07:17 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

chocolatefan, I am very glad you have toughed it out and made it through to week 3. Every week changes your perspective and it get a tiny bit easier. It is never easy because we are making an immense change in the way we view food, how we eat, what we eat, and our own relationship with our bodies. The transformation is immense, mentally and physically. Only you know whether you have the fortitude to stick with it, but at least you are making steps in the right direction. You are giving yourself the gift of health...how important that can be is up to you.

I can only tell you that coming from a family of people with addictive behaviors, it is an extreme struggle for me. I never became an alcoholic, but I soothed my troubled soul with food. Through a healthy and loving relationship I have been able to love myself better which helps me realize that I don't need food to fill that gap. People keep talking about "Mindless Eating" and I think that is so true for many of us. I hate being at home sometimes because I wander around in the kitchen trying to keep myself from eating the stuff I know I shouldn't. I literally have to force myself to find other things to do than to eat!
Old 02-22-2011, 06:45 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
chocolatefan, I am very glad you have toughed it out and made it through to week 3. Every week changes your perspective and it get a tiny bit easier. It is never easy because we are making an immense change in the way we view food, how we eat, what we eat, and our own relationship with our bodies. The transformation is immense, mentally and physically. Only you know whether you have the fortitude to stick with it, but at least you are making steps in the right direction. You are giving yourself the gift of health...how important that can be is up to you.

I can only tell you that coming from a family of people with addictive behaviors, it is an extreme struggle for me. I never became an alcoholic, but I soothed my troubled soul with food. Through a healthy and loving relationship I have been able to love myself better which helps me realize that I don't need food to fill that gap. People keep talking about "Mindless Eating" and I think that is so true for many of us. I hate being at home sometimes because I wander around in the kitchen trying to keep myself from eating the stuff I know I shouldn't. I literally have to force myself to find other things to do than to eat!
So true...My favorite thing to do is wait until everyone is in bed and get my bowl of buttered popcorn, or maybe a giant cookie and milk, or a brownie--whatever--and just watch my favorite shows on TV. Food makes the experience just more fun in my mind, and it's very hard to shake it. During week one, I actually just went to bed at 8:30 because I was really hungry and also really didn't want to watch TV without eating. I have had to do this a few nights because there are so many hours in the evening to kill and it's hard to do it without chips and dip! I also think it's hard because we live in a food nation, and let's just be honest--it tastes good. I am a baker and I love to share that with my family, so it was not uncommon for me to whip up a batch of cookies on any given weeknight just because! And I love making recipes that have been handed down in my family for years, but of course, they are filled with butter and sugar! The trick I guess is shifting my focus to believing that healthy food can also taste really great. I'm keeping my eyes on the prize and I think it's great that we are all getting healthy well before summer, when we will really want to look and feel great. I'm thinking of how irritated I'll be if I have to spend ANOTHER summer wearing gigantic "mom shorts" in the pool. So, it's a struggle, but it's worth it. I really appreciate your good thoughts!!!
Old 02-22-2011, 09:03 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: irabeslim
Stats: 5'2" - 253/140/140
Start Date: January 21st, 2010
Quote:

Shelley, you said: "I hate being at home sometimes because I wander around in the kitchen trying to keep myself from eating the stuff I know I shouldn't. I literally have to force myself to find other things to do than to eat!

How true! I am doing this for more than a year, reaching my goal, losing 113 lb in 9 months and struggling in maintenance for the last 4 months and I do not like to be home when I am not busy, nothing to watch on TV, etc. I love to leave for gym at night for 2.5 hours so that I will not be at home, near kitchen. I thought I would be over that by now but no such luck. I am watching my husband. He eats his meal, leaves kitchen and does not think about food until next meal, period. Why am I so different?
irabeslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:21 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

I have no clue...maybe we are genetically engineered for it? LOL Is a woman's place truly in the kitchen???
Old 02-24-2011, 08:13 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Ugh....me too!! The hardest thing this winter was the amount of snow days we had - stuck in the house all day with my 2 kids was sooooo hard, I kept wandering into the kitchen - not hungry, just bored and out of habit.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:33 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: betty_going_85
Stats: 250/192.4/150 restart 236/222.6/150
Start Date: December 2010/ 9/9/2013
My husband and kids are the same as your husband. I thought that it was just me and wanders and the sad thing is that I'm not hungry. I think that it's just a really bad habit and for the life of me I don't know how to shake. I normally go up to bed just to keep from lurking there.
betty_going_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:06 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Baysidegal
Stats: 240/208/140
WOE: Medi-Weightloss
Start Date: February, 2011
Quote:
You know I really like this view. My husband and I were just using the same analogy (alcoholic). It's a slippery slope for someone like me to have ONE chip! When I started this thread a few days ago, I was really questioning whether I could make it on this plan, but I have to say that now in week 3, I am starting to think I can. I don't have the really ridiculous cravings anymore (without AS), and I can see the real benefits from just cutting out the unhealthy food! I really appreciate everyone's feedback!
chocolatefan, I understand you completely, I am starting week three, but I have support from my sister who just finished MWL having lost 46.5 pounds. My husband loves to eat and sits in front of me chomping down on chips, doritos, salsa, bagels, etc. I am not affected by him and his eating habits anymore (he does not need to lose weight). I actually had dinner at my sister's house last night. They all ate wheat pasta and homemade meatballs, organic sausage and homemade tomato sauce using tomatoes from last year's garden. I sat there and at 2 small meatballs and 2 sausage links and 1/4 c of sauce. I was FULL!!! I am at the point that I need to lose the weight to fit into all the beautiful clothes my sister gave me that don't fit her anymore....so I stick to it the best I can.
Baysidegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:49 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cheftrish
Stats: 5'5" 178.8/171.6/130
Start Date: January 23 2014
Chocolate Fan

Well, I think that some may have a gluten intolerance and for them maybe they can't have carbs. I really think it is the simple sugars we need to look out for. My clinic has already started me on small amounts of brown rice this week, though I haven't had more than 1/4 cup every other day (those were my instructions) and I put it on a small salad with protein. My NP at the clinic said it is important to incoroporate it back into your diet- I have not had crazy cravings like I thought I would, but maybe that is just me.
I agree with Shelley, the white starchy stuff with no fiber (potatoes, french bread etc.) is for special days (like birthday cake and I make Christmas Stollen), I refuse to believe that 1 treat every now and then is suddenly going to make me blow up like a balloon. On the other hand those treats can't be everyday!! My understanding is that healthy carbs will be allowed back into the diet slowly. I have also been allowed 1 piece of fruit a day...these are healthy carbs and should be in your diet. I think we need to watch out for the simple sugars when we get to maintenance and I could go on and on about the chemicals in processed foods...I personally think it's healthier to have one small piece of dark chocolate than any sugar free fat free food that has tons of corn syrup and other simple sugars in it...oops, there I go!

For God did not give us a Spirit of Timidity, but a Spirit of Power, and Love and of Self Discipline.

2Tim 1:7
cheftrish is offline   Reply With Quote