Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2011, 03:35 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: betty_going_85
Stats: 250/192.4/150 restart 236/222.6/150
WOE: Medi Weight Loss
Start Date: December 2010/ 9/9/2013
Hi MsaWhitt, Thanks for your post. You are doing exactly what I want to do and it's great to hear that you have been successful with it. I also worry about living this way for the rest of my life so I was thinking about joining WW when I get down to 190. Thanks again and congrats on your success with both MWL and WW.
betty_going_85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2011, 07:32 PM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: chocolatefan
Stats: 202/162/160
WOE: MWL
Start Date: February 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by msawhitt View Post
I haven't been on this board in FOR-EVER, for some reason I just felt like checking in today and really want to comment on this one : )

I lost about 45 pounds with MWL from August-November of last year, and had the same struggle. I was faithful to the program while I was enrolled (for 3 months- lost 45 pounds!!), but always had in the back of my mine that even their maintenance program was not long-term realistic for ME. Everyone is different and some people have done very well with staying low-carb, but it was not right for me.

I started attending WW meetings in late October to check it out, and was disappointed. Their old program=CRAP. You could have a cookie for less "points" than something good for you, such as, an apple. I never followed the old program, but struggled to follow the Medi LT program as well. In late November, I went back to WW to check out their new program, and have been sticking to it ever since. It is the first program they have done that takes nutrient composition into account, so while it isn't "low-carb", your plan will take the quality of the foods you choose into a reasonable consideration. Plus, their plan allows for indulgences (like, REAL ones, not "indulging" on a potato) and takes activity into account. I have lost an additional 15 pounds with WW, making for a total of 90 pounds lost since last May, and I really love living on that program.

I had a great experience with Medi- it felt like a food "detox" that reset a lot of my old bad eating habits and I lost a ton of weight quickly, but I also quickly realized that staying on their program for the long-term was not right for me. I am staying strong now at 130, and I still get my pizza and beer nights on the weekends : )

Best of luck in whatever you decide to do!!!!
I really appreciate this!!! I've come a long way since I first posted this, and I've found a way to appreciate Medi. But like you, I struggle with how realistic this will be for me down the road. I'm not as doubtful as I was, though. I see real benefits of Medi so far and I remain optimistic. I've lost weight and feel so much better and I think the detox was really what I needed to get my body jump started. I actually joined WW earlier in the year and just couldn't get with counting points again. I had lost and gained on WW in the past, and it seemed like I was climbing a big, fat mountain again with a strategy that had once failed me. Also, for me, I think WW actually gave me TOO MANY options and points to start with. I needed intense structure and a focused approach. I was trying to make chocolate cake work in my WW plan too often. It was WW chocolate cake, but I would eat it every night. I was within my daily points, but I didn't lose an ounce. However, tonight for example, I am really, REALLY craving something sweet--which is why I came here! I haven't had A SINGLE "bad" carb for 5 weeks. I honestly can't believe it. But I know that I need to figure out a way to be able to enjoy an occasional treat, and I like that WW helps with that. I can't imagine living totally without these kinds of indulgences or tasting what I still think is really good, authentic food (with butter, not cooking spray, for example). I would like to think I could forgo these treats, and I'm shocked that so far, I have! I would also like to think that down the road, I will develop not only the right attitude towards living a new lifestyle, but the ability to do what WW really proposes, which is to engage in portion control and sane eating. I'm not ready for that flexibility yet, but your story is really inspiring! It seems sensible and exactly right for you. Thank you for your thoughts!
chocolatefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:18 AM   #33
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: imnotcrazyyet
I started Medi with absolutely no ideas what I was getting myself into. I walked in to my first appointment at 4:30pm after having fasted all day for the blood work. She told me I could only eat 500 calories a day and I about fell out of my chair. I spent the whole first week in shock that anyone would expect a person to live like that. I had headaches, felt like I was mentally absent, etc. But after those first couple weeks, I was totally in the diet.

I was previously a super emotional eater. Every mood had a food. If I was happy I ate, lonely, ate, bored, ate. Medi has taught me that I have to make every calorie count. I can't sit down and munch on a ton of junk, because I just don't have that option. I will say that I have been giving in to my cravings more as time goes on. I don't beat myself up about eating a bite of birthday cake. If I really "need" that bite of bread, I'll take it. The difference being, of course, that where I would have eaten half the loaf of bread, I take my bite and I'm done. It lets me enjoy the taste of the food, but since I'm no longer associating that food with a feeling, one bite is enough.

I have also taken "breaks" from the diet. My parents were in town and I ate what I wanted, including pasta and ice cream. I walked into my next weigh in "knowing" that I was going to have a bad week. To my surprise, I still had a losing week. While I wouldn't advise throwing the rules out on a regular basis, I did find that ignoring them for a while didn't cause me to gain 15 pounds as I was expecting.

So I guess it's all a matter of perspective. Yes the people who follow the diet to a T are going to be better off. But if you want to live life without having to be a slave to "the plan" you can still find a way to make it work. My 5 year old daughter saw me eating string cheese the other night and asked, "Mommy, are supposed to be eating that?" I was shocked 1. that she even knew there were foods I could and couldn't eat, and 2. that she is monitoring what foods are "off limits". I'm not sure I want to instill that type of behavior in my 5 year old, so it has given me something to think about.
imnotcrazyyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:49 PM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Baysidegal
Stats: 240/238/140
WOE: Medi-Weightloss-ish
Start Date: Re-start 8/29/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by imnotcrazyyet View Post
I started Medi with absolutely no ideas what I was getting myself into. I walked in to my first appointment at 4:30pm after having fasted all day for the blood work. She told me I could only eat 500 calories a day and I about fell out of my chair. I spent the whole first week in shock that anyone would expect a person to live like that. I had headaches, felt like I was mentally absent, etc. But after those first couple weeks, I was totally in the diet.

I was previously a super emotional eater. Every mood had a food. If I was happy I ate, lonely, ate, bored, ate. Medi has taught me that I have to make every calorie count. I can't sit down and munch on a ton of junk, because I just don't have that option. I will say that I have been giving in to my cravings more as time goes on. I don't beat myself up about eating a bite of birthday cake. If I really "need" that bite of bread, I'll take it. The difference being, of course, that where I would have eaten half the loaf of bread, I take my bite and I'm done. It lets me enjoy the taste of the food, but since I'm no longer associating that food with a feeling, one bite is enough.

I have also taken "breaks" from the diet. My parents were in town and I ate what I wanted, including pasta and ice cream. I walked into my next weigh in "knowing" that I was going to have a bad week. To my surprise, I still had a losing week. While I wouldn't advise throwing the rules out on a regular basis, I did find that ignoring them for a while didn't cause me to gain 15 pounds as I was expecting.

So I guess it's all a matter of perspective. Yes the people who follow the diet to a T are going to be better off. But if you want to live life without having to be a slave to "the plan" you can still find a way to make it work. My 5 year old daughter saw me eating string cheese the other night and asked, "Mommy, are supposed to be eating that?" I was shocked 1. that she even knew there were foods I could and couldn't eat, and 2. that she is monitoring what foods are "off limits". I'm not sure I want to instill that type of behavior in my 5 year old, so it has given me something to think about.
I understand your thinking on "taking breaks". I actually did this today. No reason really, just because I guess I needed to. I didn't go overly crazy, but I ate food I loved and now, sitting here tonight, I feel too full, but not guilty. I don't like how I feel right now, so tomorrow, I know I will just continue on the diet as usual. If it costs me a pound or two at my Saturday weigh-in, I will deal with that and keep on going.
It's funny though, yesterday, I was at a baby shower and I didn't eat anything that I wasn't supposed to. I could have had pizza and cake, but I chose cheese and veggies. Yesterday, I didn't feel a need to have anything I couldn't have. Today, a different story. I like the fact that I have lost almost 17 lbs in 4 weeks, so I know I will continue.
Because I have admitted to "cheating" today, I don't want to be labled as "not ready" to comitt to this diet. I have 4 weeks of comittment behind me. I want to go at my own pace and stay on the recommended diet. I haven't been feeling really well lately, mostly dizzy or sometimes nauseous. It could be low blood pressure. I thought by eating something different, I would feel better. Well I do in a sense, but feeling stuffed is not the effect I was looking for LOL.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:21 PM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: irabeslim
Stats: 5'2" - 253/140/140
Start Date: January 21st, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baysidegal View Post
I understand your thinking on "taking breaks". I actually did this today. No reason really, just because I guess I needed to. I didn't go overly crazy, but I ate food I loved and now, sitting here tonight, I feel too full, but not guilty. I don't like how I feel right now, so tomorrow, I know I will just continue on the diet as usual. If it costs me a pound or two at my Saturday weigh-in, I will deal with that and keep on going.
It's funny though, yesterday, I was at a baby shower and I didn't eat anything that I wasn't supposed to. I could have had pizza and cake, but I chose cheese and veggies. Yesterday, I didn't feel a need to have anything I couldn't have. Today, a different story. I like the fact that I have lost almost 17 lbs in 4 weeks, so I know I will continue.
Because I have admitted to "cheating" today, I don't want to be labled as "not ready" to comitt to this diet. I have 4 weeks of comittment behind me. I want to go at my own pace and stay on the recommended diet. I haven't been feeling really well lately, mostly dizzy or sometimes nauseous. It could be low blood pressure. I thought by eating something different, I would feel better. Well I do in a sense, but feeling stuffed is not the effect I was looking for LOL.
I guess, everybody has a different mentality. For some people (like me) it is all or nothing and when I eat unplanned "carby" food, it is so difficult to return to the "controlled" environment. I have done it many times, especially in maintenance and struggled every time to get back on track. If it works for you - great, but just be aware.
irabeslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:37 AM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mommy2princesses
Stats: Ht 5'7'' 259.6/156/165
WOE: Medi Weight Loss
Start Date: May 11, 2010
I think my mindset isn't about "taking a break", but more about how to incorporate planned indulgences. For example, I know this coming weekend DH and I might attend a wine tasting with several friends of ours. I know that by nights end, I will have had several glasses of wine (each little taste will add up!)....and granted I will probably be quite tipsy because even one glass makes me feel it now.... and I will most likely eat only protein on Saturday leading up to our night out. I will bring some almonds in my pocketbook in case I need to snack while we are there (there will be appetizers too - veggie platters, cheese & crackers, so I can always have cheese and some veggies too).

I try to hold off on my weekly indulgence until the weekend - whether its a glass of wine, a few bites of dessert....or last weekend it was a few of Dh's sweet potato fries out at dinner (I was craving fries really really really badly). Knowing that I have a treat coming on the weekend helps me to not want it during the week, and a few bites of something qualifies as a treat.....not the whole thing! And, I always get my longest jog/walks in on weekends....so it balances out.

If I allow myself things during the week, I lose control. A taste on Monday become 2 on Tuesday and so on. Granted, I am only 2 months in maintenance....but so far so good. I remember Susie saying in the past how she and her husband have a planned indulgence on the weekend too - I always liked the idea of that so here I am trying it too.

Over 100lbs. GONE FOREVER
Thanks to MWL!
8 months to Wellness....5/11/10 - 1/11/11
mommy2princesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 12:56 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: grfxgrl
Stats: 5'4" - 213/192/134
WOE: Medi-Weightloss
Start Date: Restarting: 2/21/2011
Oh god, how thankful I am for this thread! Just read the entire thing and I feel a TON better because I was thinking the same things chocolatefan, and I was worried that if i was thinking this way (and given my ice cream cheat last week) that I was doomed to fail

Thank you for asking what I was afraid to ask

and! thanks to everyone's supportive responses and easing the minds of the newbies
grfxgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:19 PM   #38
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jandbmom
Stats: 402/364.8/170
WOE: Medi
Start Date: Feburary 2011
I was on Medi 2 yrs ago and lost 120 lbs in 6 months, however once I ate something off plan it was a spiral downward from there. I gained it all back and then some. Now 2 years later I have restarted with Medi because I know it really works. I have been overweight my whole life and went to my first WW meeting when I was 12. I also lost 80 lbs on WW when I was in college.
That being said, I have come to realize that I was overly strict the first go round with Medi. I only ate whole proteins, veggies and fruit. No nuts cheese, etc,
ONce I decided to return, I knew if I was going to make it, I had to have more variety. So I've been doing a lot of googling and reading recipes and meal suggestions and have found some great alternatives the hi-carb foods I love. I made the chocolate cheesecake nuggets (got the recipe at Medi) and they are just the right thing to curb that choc craving. I also made pizza with Cauliflower pizza crust ( found that recipe on here) and was really surprised. It was really good and helped me enjoy pizza without the guilt.
This board is so helpful, supportive and informative. I am really trying to be proactive in my weight loss and use the tools and information that Medi provides, in addition to the information I get online, to plan for anything. I am going to a birthday party tomorrow at a friends, so I am bring a couple of my cheesecake bites( they have 20 cals each) so I am not tempted by the cake.
Planning ahead is a key. If you know something is coming up, try to come up with some alternatives.
If we are going out to eat, I try to see if they have their nutritional info on line before we go so I know what I am getting.
I've been back on program 7 weeks and am down 36.2 and going strong. My family is super supportive (more than the 1st time I went) and this really helps.
I hope you all keep focussing on the big goal, getting healthy, and try some coping strategies when you feel the need to eat off program.
Thanks for everyone being so open and helpful
jandbmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:43 PM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: irabeslim
Stats: 5'2" - 253/140/140
Start Date: January 21st, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandbmom View Post
I was on Medi 2 yrs ago and lost 120 lbs in 6 months, however once I ate something off plan it was a spiral downward from there. I gained it all back and then some. Now 2 years later I have restarted with Medi because I know it really works. I have been overweight my whole life and went to my first WW meeting when I was 12. I also lost 80 lbs on WW when I was in college.
That being said, I have come to realize that I was overly strict the first go round with Medi. I only ate whole proteins, veggies and fruit. No nuts cheese, etc,
ONce I decided to return, I knew if I was going to make it, I had to have more variety. So I've been doing a lot of googling and reading recipes and meal suggestions and have found some great alternatives the hi-carb foods I love. I made the chocolate cheesecake nuggets (got the recipe at Medi) and they are just the right thing to curb that choc craving. I also made pizza with Cauliflower pizza crust ( found that recipe on here) and was really surprised. It was really good and helped me enjoy pizza without the guilt.
This board is so helpful, supportive and informative. I am really trying to be proactive in my weight loss and use the tools and information that Medi provides, in addition to the information I get online, to plan for anything. I am going to a birthday party tomorrow at a friends, so I am bring a couple of my cheesecake bites( they have 20 cals each) so I am not tempted by the cake.
Planning ahead is a key. If you know something is coming up, try to come up with some alternatives.
If we are going out to eat, I try to see if they have their nutritional info on line before we go so I know what I am getting.
I've been back on program 7 weeks and am down 36.2 and going strong. My family is super supportive (more than the 1st time I went) and this really helps.
I hope you all keep focussing on the big goal, getting healthy, and try some coping strategies when you feel the need to eat off program.
Thanks for everyone being so open and helpful
You are absolutely right that finding substitutions/alternatives help us stay on this diet. I lost 113 lb and would not be able to do that if I did not incorporate this "faux" sweets, etc. I was always carrying "my food" so that I was not tempted with junk.
I am exactly like you - when I stray from the plan just a little bit, I fall off the vagon and it takes a huge effort to get back on. I am in "wellness" for 4 months and it has been a "rocky road" to say the least. Thank you for coming here and being honest and telling your story about regaining all the lost weight. I salute you for finding motivation and courage to start again. I have not been able to exercise for 6 weeks due to the foot surgery and gained at least 10 lb by sitting at home. Your story is just what I need to hear to motivate myself to stop this downward spiral and get myself back on track. Thanks a lot and good luck!

"Nothing tastes better than thin feels"
-------------------
Was in wellness!
Restart on 04/05/11 to lose 15 gained lb
253/148/140
irabeslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:49 PM   #40
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Rvarner10
Stats: 314/234/180
WOE: Medi weight loss
Start Date: Sept 8,2010
Like most of the people in this thread I have cravings, but I chose one that I liked and could have it daily in moderation, pork rinds!!! I like the salt and vinegar as the vinegar seems to make me eat them in smaller portions. I am almost at the 80 lb mark.
Bob
Rvarner10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:21 PM   #41
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mary T8M
Stats: 5'2" 228/144/125 good-bye 150's
WOE: LC/LF/LCal (medi)
Start Date: 4/23/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvarner10 View Post
Like most of the people in this thread I have cravings, but I chose one that I liked and could have it daily in moderation, pork rinds!!! I like the salt and vinegar as the vinegar seems to make me eat them in smaller portions. I am almost at the 80 lb mark.
Bob
Yummmmm I Love anything with vinegar! My only problem with them is they make me retain more water, so I have to limit them! Today I found a bag of pork rinds that you put in the microwave.....they look like a bag of microwave popcorn. I know netrition sells these (or at least I think they do, or used to) because several people on the LCF Main board were "talking" about them. I decided to try them......
Have you tried pork rinds with cinnamon and splenda?
Mary T8M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 07:55 PM   #42
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Griffin's-Mom
Stats: 250/202/175
WOE: Medi
Start Date: 05/13/2011
Sticking to the palan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
I ain't Medi, but PLEASE don't say like it's some kinda fact!

there is NO SUCH THING as necessary carbs. many of us have been very low carb for years and wouldn't DREAM of eating whole grains. I don't think there is anything unrealistic about this at all. it is the woe that makes the most sense for the majority of obese people who are carb addicts.

talking for yourself is fine, but please don't make general comments about everyone like that. thanks and best of luck!
I always allow myself a cheat meal every week. I weigh in on Fridays and every Friday night I either have a cheat meal or I drink a bottle of wine. Sometimes I think it shocks my system and jump starts my weight lost for that week. Is this crazy .....maybe, but I am on week 12 and I have lost 48 pounds.
Griffin's-Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:10 PM   #43
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: videochick
The Real World, Maintenance, etc.

Hello everyone:

I've been a lurker for awhile and on Medi since Sept 1, 2010. Initially, I lost a total of 31.9 lbs going from 175.4 to 143.5 which I accomplished on January 20, 2011. (I'm 5'6", 48 yo, kind of apple/cone shaped, just for reference. I went from a 14/16 to 6/8 depending on style, I'm pretty broad shouldered so I usually have to wear a larger size on top.) At today's weigh-in I was 147.5.

As my on-line time is limited, I usually just read the posts when I can, soaking up all the tips and encouragement, but this topic really resonated with me and I felt compelled to post.

I, too, followed the plan as written, with a minor exception when I had a last minute opportunity go to Paris for 10 days last September 3 weeks after I started Medi. While there I stuck with protein and veg and made the choice between either a good piece of bread, a small macaron or one glass of good wine, and if those choices were just so-so, I didn't have that treat. I lost 2.7lbs when I weighed in two days after I got back. I'm sure all the walking helped with the weight loss, too. I went right back to acute with no deviation - what happened in Paris stayed in Paris!

When I hit 143.5, I was put into short-term maintenance/transition adding the calories and other food choices over six weeks and cutting down the med dose to one a day. I'm now in a semi-transition/wellness phase with no meds (unless i decide to use the stay slim) and learning what calorie balance works for me.

As you can see from some of the numbers, right now I'm 4lbs up from the 143.5. I've not yet been officially placed in maintenance or had that metabolic breathing test done because during this whole transition phase, I've been anywhere from 143 to 149. I often ask myself, and the center, if it's realistic to expect a consistent weight week to week during maintenance or is this my "zone" so to speak which I should aim to stay in? Easy enough to lose 4-5 lbs to low end of zone, but once over 150 it's a red flag?

Finding what keeps me at the same weight from week to week so that Medi will officially put me in Welless has been frustrating, and some of my frustration has been with Medi's support during this time. Not that the staff isn't nice, I just feel the focus is more on the losing phase and little information/support for the transition/maintenance phase except the sheets they give out as a guideline.

All this to say, my center has a new PA and I had about an hour's talk with her this morning about maintaining. Basically she said it's a learning process of what works and what doesn't for me (hence the minimal info on transition/maintenance, I guess)- how many carbs, choc, wine, can I eat and maintain. I might see a gain that might be from too much salt and water retention - look back at my journal, what did I eat - that kind of thing. Am I continuing to drink enough water? Am I choosing fibrous foods that will help me feel full or empty carbs that mess with blood sugar level? How much exercise do I need to maintain? (She couldn't stress exercise/activity enough for maintaining.) What kind of exercise am I doing - for example using weights might cause a temporary gain as the muscles retain water to repair themselves and then you'll see a loss. How much exercise am I doing? Am I hungry from intense exercise? What am I eating to fuel my body for that activity, is that choice causing me to gain weight instead? How's my sleep? Am I feeling tired or energized at a certain calorie level and/or with a certain combination of pro/carb/fat?

She talked about choices and planning, trial and error: if I want that glass of wine, maybe I should choose not to have any bread, starch or dessert. Can I have a small piece of chocolate or will that start a binge? Am I having too much high calorie protein - red meat, etc? Too many high sugar fruits? To this end I've been considering some of the tips and recommendations from two books I recently read: The Dukan Diet by Dr. Dukan (personally I found Dukan similar to Medi's WOE, except for the inclusion of oat bran) and Naturally Thin by Bethenny Frankel.

I guess in my rambling way I'm trying to say that if you want to get the weight off follow Medi as it is laid out, don't overthink it, or worry about what's going to happen a few months from now. Right now you want to get the weight off and Medi works wonders if you follow the acute plan.

When you get to the transition and wellness phases, yes they will bring new challenges as you add in food and calories. It's about tweaking it for your unique body. If changing over to WW for maintenance works for you, go for it. In the end it's still a matter of being mindful of what and/or how much you are eating, identifying your triggers, etc.

The "real world" offers us many choices/options in all things, and that's what they are choices/options. I was in the real world when I was gaining weight, when I was in acute and now trying to figure out how to maintain. Make the choice that's best for you, for what you want to achieve, for what you want to maintain.

I wish everyone only success with Medi!
videochick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:45 PM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jbjb93
Stats: 233/173.0/150
WOE: Medi-Weightloss
Start Date: Sept 2, 2011
Thanks to all who have posted! I enjoyed reading the thread and think I will reread it in the future.
jbjb93 is offline   Reply With Quote