Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Medi Weightloss (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/medi-weightloss/)
-   -   Transition? How is that phase? What to expect? and then...? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/medi-weightloss/700637-transition-how-phase-what-expect-then.html)

Lpgn@FL 12-02-2010 03:52 AM

Transition? How is that phase? What to expect? and then...?

Hello medi friends!

I have completed 2 months on the medi woe, and I look GREAT! I've lost 20.5 pounds and I am quickly approaching my goal. Only have 3.5 pounds more to loose. As I'm approaching the transition phase I have questions regarding what to expect? To tell you the truth I am affraid of adding carb into my diet and gaining wait. Sometimes I even think, that's it 500 to 600 cals of protein for life, that's the way I should continue eating.

For those of you that have gone through the same mind games, please advice. I would like to know what is the transition phase? And then the wellness phase. Thank you all.

:D

neneRN 12-02-2010 08:53 AM

There is a long ongoing thread about maintenance, written by people who have been doing it for a long time, so I'm sure there's a lot of info out there.

But your questions were exactly my questions not too long ago, so I want to throw in my thoughts, especially since I also did Medi for about 2 months to lose 20ish pounds.

When I met goal, the doctor spoke to me at length about importance of continuing to exercise, portion control, and healthy choices. He told me I needed to be at 1200 calories/day to maintain my weight; once you hit goal, you gradually increase your calories while getting weaned off the appetite suppressant. For example, I was taking 37.5 of Phentermine and for the first week of transition I would cut down to 1/2 pill a day and increase calories to 800/day, then the following week, stop taking pills and increase calories to 1000/day, and so on until you are at set calories/day.

The doc said that no foods are restricted once you hit goal, that of course you should not overdo carbs and fats, but it was more important to stay at or below the set number of calories.

So that's what I was told to do...now for what I did:) I was absolutely scared to death to eat carbs or to increase my calories!! For the first couple of weeks, I kept my calories at around 800, but I still am eating low carb because I am convinced that the carbs are what will ruin everything I worked so hard for. I basically eat the same as I did in acute, but more of it...I eat when I get hungry and keep it very low carb. I met goal at the beginning of October and have actually lost a few pounds since then even though I'm not trying to. I haven't been back to Medi since I made goal; they're great, but I can weigh myself at home; if anything changes, I can go back.

And I do have occasional treats; for Thanksgiving I had a slice of cheesecake and felt no guilt...I just stuck to all protein the next day.

Hope this helps a little...long story short, my theory is just stick to low carb, have occasional treats, and weigh yourself everyday. Good luck, I though the first few weeks of transition were harder than acute because I had to make my own decisions instead of just following a list of what was okay to eat.

Lpgn@FL 12-02-2010 07:32 PM

NeneRN:

Thank you so much for your advice! I have tried to find information on the maintenance thread but I get lost with all those replies and posts. I haven't had time to read it all. Hopefully I can start maintenance soon because I planned (financially) to start it on December.

Your advice was excellent, just what I needed! Thanks again!

Lisandra

richmanlopez 12-28-2010 07:11 PM

This is wonderful! I was so curious as well what to expect next. Cannot wait until I am ready to transition.