Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2010, 08:48 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: diertac
Stats: 196.6/167.2/155
WOE: MWL
Start Date: 09/21/10
NSV: Non-Scale Victories - Post 'em If Ya Got Em!

Some weeks the scale isn't your friend. Those weeks, more than ever, we need to appreciate NSV's - Non-Scale Victories!

This week the scale wasn't entirely my friend. It betrayed my poor eating habits during a party with a 1.5lb gain. However, I've already come up with several NSV's this week:
  1. I got my first unsolicited, "Have you lost weight?" compliment!
  2. My Mean Size 12 jeans button without complaint now (This was a requirement before I could call myself a size "12" in my head.)
  3. I'm wearing a pair of Capri pants that I couldn't wear this past summer (and will have discarded as "too large" by next summer!)

Last night I was in Target, checking out scales (because I'd like to get a new one for the house that measures bodyfat) when I saw this reminder (courtesy of an anonymous post-it note leaver and http://www.operationbeautiful.com):

So, forget the scale! What are your NSVs?
http://lcmealplans.wordpress.com

Last edited by diertac; 11-10-2010 at 08:50 AM.. Reason: Corrected BBS URL link error
diertac is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2010, 08:49 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: piratewoman
Stats: 239.8/157.2/? 5'6 age:56 20W then-6 misses now
WOE: Atkins- very low carb
Start Date: August 2010
went from a size 16 to 14 jeans
piratewoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:08 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratewoman View Post
went from a size 16 to 14 jeans

Your progress is awesome. Congratulations!
Old 11-10-2010, 09:11 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: piratewoman
Stats: 239.8/157.2/? 5'6 age:56 20W then-6 misses now
WOE: Atkins- very low carb
Start Date: August 2010
Thanks, I might add, so is yours!
piratewoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 04:23 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kelly4me
Stats: Lost 53 pounds 2010, Restart 2013
WOE: MWL in 2010, Low Carb 2013
Start Date: 8/27/2010, 10/22/2013
Those notes are totally cool!

Cat - FYI - I have an Omron scale that measures body fat and while the total percentage lost is close to what Medi says, the percentage that it says that I am is consistently 5% above the Medi Tanita scale. I'm giving the Medi professional scale the benefit of the doubt.

For my NSV - I tried on my wedding dress from 1995 - it was too big. I was pretty shocked. I'm really enjoying turning back the clock!
kelly4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 05:04 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Kelly - Holy cow, your wedding dress was too big? That's awesome.

I have a confession, my wedding dress (from 2003) is still in my guest room closet, hanging in a bag. I know I should get it "preserved" or whatever they do, but so help me I want to be able to put it on before I do that!

I've seen the Omron scales, and I've been considering those. The scales at Target were all way cheaper than what any of us would probably want ($20 max, none of them seemed high tech or were a reliable brand). If I want to buy a nice one like Tanita, etc. I'll have to buy it online, I think.

The notes are cool, and I like the drive that's behind writing them. Although, I must confess, the only woman I know personally who has supported that "project" is this super depressed, bizarre negative woman (and she doesn't live near me so I know she didn't write *those* notes). It's funny, she's always doing "projects" like those notes, Sark's stuff, etc. so she can feel better, but she's seriously see-saw-y personality-wise so when I read those notes I was all, "Oh dear I wonder about whether the person who wrote these is stable or not..."

Still, for someone without the emotional tinge that I have from the person I know who introduced me to the project, it's probably a pretty good feeling. Also, I was feeling good about myself when I went to look for the scales (I want something to validate my good feelings, even if the scale wasn't so great to me this week) so I'm probably not the best target audience!

... Which is why I left all the notes intact and took only a photo.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:03 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mary T8M
Stats: 5'2" 228/144/125 good-bye 150's
WOE: LC/LF/LCal (medi)
Start Date: 4/23/10
Lets see.....NSV.....there have been MANY! Realizing, and not being surprised that I can pick up something I've dropped without dreading it........YES, many times I dreaded having to bend over to pick things up. My joints hurt, and sometimes my balance wasn't great, plus I looked terrible....it's NOT a problem any more

Fitting into SOME (and I stress SOME) size 12 jeans! Heck it was a thrill the first time I fit into 14's (I started at a 22W)

having only clothes that fit in my closet.....AND if I don't like them, they're GONE!

Having my Son say he's never seen my butt this small!

Having a friend say on FB how gorgeous I look

Being told by a friend that an acquaintance asked her if I'd been sick because I was so skinny????

Thanks so much for starting this thread Cat.....I really like the notes too! I send notes like that to my "girls" DD, DIL, and GD

Mary T8M (Tatem)

New member of the 80 pounds gone club

Whether you think you can, or you can't, either way you're right!
Henry Ford
Mary T8M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 07:53 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Charlene4
Stats: 154.5/135/135
WOE: vegan/vegetarian
Start Date: June 7,2010
My victory is that I am changing the shape of my body. I am still a pear but I am not the same kind of pear that I used to be. Now, I am an athletic pear instead of an over ripe, juicy pear. I am also happy about getting my body fat percentage to where I wanted it (21%). Wearing a size 4 that gets baggy is fun too!
Charlene4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 04:29 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlene4 View Post
My victory is that I am changing the shape of my body. I am still a pear but I am not the same kind of pear that I used to be. Now, I am an athletic pear instead of an over ripe, juicy pear. I am also happy about getting my body fat percentage to where I wanted it (21%). Wearing a size 4 that gets baggy is fun too!
I know everyone is different, but that said, I can't even in my WILDEST dreams, imagine wearing a 4........in my adult life I think the smallest I've ever been is a jr size 11........ I'm wearing SOME 12's right now!
Old 11-12-2010, 12:43 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eptexy
Stats: 5'4 165/132/125
WOE: Medi Weightloss - Maintenance!!!
Start Date: March 2010
NSVs - love this!

My very first boyfriend found me on facebook and said I was "hot" and look better now than I did in high school!

Someone at the gym said, "I want to be where you are weight-wise."

My husband said I have the best butt of anyone he's ever met.

My brother told my mom that I've never looked so good.

My dad last night said, "Erin, you are really very pretty."

My son's girlfriend called me, "skinny".

A lady in a clothing boutique said, "I think we have a small/petite jacket over here that would fit you perfectly." I almost didn't know who she was talking to! Small? Petite? Me??

Everyone at Medi always compliments me. I'm sure they do that to everyone but it does feel good. Everyone that works there is super beautiful!

My doctor said something like, "women who are tiny like you..." . I don't even know why that came up or what else she said because all I heard was that. lol

The receptionist at my kids' pediatrician office commented twice on how great I look.

Countless people at church compliment me. One lady now calls me, "pretty lady" and another, "skinny girl." lol

Really, I could go on and on. 'm so blessed lately with positive energy. The debbie downers who were critical at first have gone away. I think they're used to the new me now. Ha!

In Wellness as of 6/4/2010!
eptexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 02:07 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary T8M View Post
I know everyone is different, but that said, I can't even in my WILDEST dreams, imagine wearing a 4........in my adult life I think the smallest I've ever been is a jr size 11........ I'm wearing SOME 12's right now!
I'm with you... Skinniest I've ever been post-puberty was a size 6 in ONE pair of pants for about oh, five minutes.

Baggy size 4's Charlene? No way are you a "pear" by my definition. Maybe just a little girl who's got some "back" (which is highly preferable to having Saggy Butt Syndrome (TM) or so, the skinny women who have NO back tell me, at least...)
Old 11-13-2010, 02:11 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

My favorites from your list, Erin:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eptexy View Post
NSVs - love this!
A lady in a clothing boutique said, "I think we have a small/petite jacket over here that would fit you perfectly." I almost didn't know who she was talking to! Small? Petite? Me??
Really, I could go on and on. 'm so blessed lately with positive energy. The debbie downers who were critical at first have gone away. I think they're used to the new me now. Ha!
This is a wonderful list but I especially loved all these.

Your "positive energy" statement reminds me of a moment I had 8 years ago when I did WW. I left the meeting after a good weigh-in and walked into a grocery store on a cold winter's night. (Read: I was bundled up in a jacket, so size/figure, etc. was not obvious or at all a part of the moment.)

An older gentleman (60-ish?) was on his way out and as I passed him I smiled and said 'Hi'. I walked a pace or two and he said, "Wait!" I turned around and he came up to me and took my hand and said, "You have the most beautiful smile. It lights up your face. It has made my whole night." I thanked him, totally shocked and he just smiled, waved and walked away.

Talk about "positive energy"! My point being, I think that you are probably radiating so much positive energy outwardly that it's coming back your way. I think that's what happened that night as well. I highly doubt this man did that to everyone. Or at least, I'd prefer to believe I was unique that night.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:23 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diertac View Post
I'm with you... Skinniest I've ever been post-puberty was a size 6 in ONE pair of pants for about oh, five minutes.

Baggy size 4's Charlene? No way are you a "pear" by my definition. Maybe just a little girl who's got some "back" (which is highly preferable to having Saggy Butt Syndrome (TM) or so, the skinny women who have NO back tell me, at least...)

Haha!! That's funny. I do have some "back". I used to have a lot more....that's where I carry pretty much all my extra weight but I suppose I can't complain about that. It is frustrating with pants though because they usually only get baggy at the waist and the legs and butt stay the same and I am not a belt wearer!! I guess the important part of my victory is that I am realizing now, for the first time in 29 years that I AM actually small framed. I always though I was medium framed because of how I carried weight and how I mentally viewed my body but now I finally see what people have been saying to me for years....that only draw back to that is that when you realize you are small boned, you feel like you have to be thinner! I'm pretty at peace with my body....for now, at least.

maintenance
Old 11-14-2010, 01:25 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eptexy View Post
NSVs - love this!

My very first boyfriend found me on facebook and said I was "hot" and look better now than I did in high school!

Someone at the gym said, "I want to be where you are weight-wise."

My brother told my mom that I've never looked so good.

My son's girlfriend called me, "skinny".

Everyone at Medi always compliments me. I'm sure they do that to everyone but it does feel good. Everyone that works there is super beautiful!

My doctor said something like, "women who are tiny like you..." . I don't even know why that came up or what else she said because all I heard was that. lol

The receptionist at my kids' pediatrician office commented twice on how great I look.

Countless people at church compliment me. One lady now calls me, "pretty lady" and another, "skinny girl." lol

The gym comment is the best! Honestly, even though our opinions of ourselves are the most important, it means a lot to me when another woman compliments me....because we women are critical! It's especially cool when it's a woman that I think it gorgeous and she compliments me. it's such a confidence booster.
Old 11-14-2010, 02:06 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnK
Stats: 5'2" 130/127/115
WOE: MediWeightLoss
Start Date: 7/19/10 and 8/27/12
At my local grocery store last week, my check out lady (who I've known for many years) leaned forward and whispered "You've lost weight ~ you look great!" She was truly interested in the Medi method ~ unlike a lot of people she didn't say "Oh, I could NEVER do that, I'm not that strong." She said she plans to check into it. It made me happy to think that she might also have the success that I and so many others have had.
AnnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 02:14 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: losing in Ftm
Stats: restart Apr 2012
WOE: Medi
Start Date: 5/5/10
I had 2 today. I tried on my teenage daughter's 'skinny' jeans and they were a little loose. Not that they looked good on my 50 yr body but I was thrilled any way. At church a couple I have been friends with for years returned to visit after moving away last June. The husband didn't know who I was at first, and the wife just stared open mouthed before hugging me and telling me how great I looked. It was a good day.
losing in Ftm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:00 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

I haven't lost but a pound or two in several weeks, but somehow yesterday when I went to Marshall's, the size 12 jeans I tried on were *too big*! I ended up buying a pair of size 10's! Just four months ago I couldn't squeeze into the 14's I tried on there, so this was shocking.

Also, when I recorded my weight and waist measurement this morning, I haven't lost a pound in 2.5 weeks (I'm up from my last weigh-in) yet my waist is a full ONE INCH smaller. It's bizarre.

At this rate, when I DO get back into the 150's I'm going to be a freaking size 6. There's got to be some major fat shifting/loss/oddity going on with me being in ketosis. I've never been this *size* at this *weight*...
Old 12-03-2010, 05:34 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Cat - I'm going in the opposite direction - the pounds are coming off - though more slowly, but my waist won't budge. I'm noticing loss in my face, upper arms and thighs, but I've been wearing the same jeans for six weeks now. Weird!

My nice recent non-scale victory was that I had to move the strap on my sandals down THREE notches the other day. That was cool.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:17 AM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: subee3
Stats: 208/182.5/155
WOE: Medi-Weightloss
Start Date: 11/11/10
Quote:
I haven't lost but a pound or two in several weeks, but somehow yesterday when I went to Marshall's, the size 12 jeans I tried on were *too big*! I ended up buying a pair of size 10's! Just four months ago I couldn't squeeze into the 14's I tried on there, so this was shocking.

Also, when I recorded my weight and waist measurement this morning, I haven't lost a pound in 2.5 weeks (I'm up from my last weigh-in) yet my waist is a full ONE INCH smaller. It's bizarre.

At this rate, when I DO get back into the 150's I'm going to be a freaking size 6. There's got to be some major fat shifting/loss/oddity going on with me being in ketosis. I've never been this *size* at this *weight*...
That's awesome Cat - love to hear about dressing room moments that result in smiles!

My most recent NSV is similar to yours, Kelly. My watch is noticeably looser on my wrist - right before I started Medi it was uncomfortably tight.
subee3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 05:30 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Kelly, I went through that exact same thing at the beginning! 15 pounds and I was in the same size pants. I forget who, but someone said here she was that way for some number of pounds, and then woosh, 5 pounds and she dropped 2 sizes. I think that happens in fits and starts.

Your face is where people notice it first, I think. I, for one, am relieved to see most of my chins gone. For awhile there, I was scared to glance sideways in the mirror.

Subee, that's excellent! My rings are starting to swirl on my fingers more, similar to the sandals and your watch!
Old 12-04-2010, 02:28 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

I'm not losing the pounds very fast at all right now, but I KNOW my body is shifting in size! I've always had heavy thighs....NOT muscular, just FAT! My thighs have never looked this thin.....EVER!! My family has all commented on how LONG my legs look (I'm 5'2") so what a thrill that is to hear!

When I was at my heaviest I caught sight of myself as I walked into a store, and didn't realize it was me! I had no idea I was THAT fat.....even though I looked at myself in the mirror every day! Today I was walking into Men's Warehouse with DH and didn't realize the thin lady was ME!! HOW COOL?
Old 12-07-2010, 06:25 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lins
WOE: Medi-weightloss
Start Date: 1/12/14
I realized last night that I don't use my body pillow anymore (it's still in my bed I just don't use it....weird I know). I think it's because my legs don't rub together anymore. YAY!
lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 06:12 AM   #23
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kmchap
Stats: 208/190/145
WOE: Medi Weight loss
Start Date: First time 03/2010, restart Nov 2010
I had to go get a new bra, because mine was getting to big and riding up my back (super annoying). I was so excited when she measured me and I'm already back into a 36 around I said there was no way, but she brought me some and they fit, she said I actually have a really tinny back! My next NSV will be when I fit back into the size 36 bra that I already have at home (it always seemed to fit more like a 34).
kmchap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 06:34 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmchap View Post
I had to go get a new bra, because mine was getting to big and riding up my back (super annoying). I was so excited when she measured me and I'm already back into a 36 around I said there was no way, but she brought me some and they fit, she said I actually have a really tinny back! My next NSV will be when I fit back into the size 36 bra that I already have at home (it always seemed to fit more like a 34).
Some how in my Pre-Medi life I kept buying bras (on sale) that turned out to be too small, so I had a whole drawer of BEAUTIFUL bras that now fit! In fact some are getting too big. NEVER, EVER in my whole life have I had this many new bras to wear. I also have just gotten a whole bunch of "hand me downs" from my Sister in Law, so now have more jeans, slacks, suits, shorts, and capris than I've ever had at one time!
Old 12-16-2010, 09:22 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

I'm officially out of "someday" clothes. Every single thing that I was holding onto in hopes that it would fit "someday" now does, or in many cases, is too big!
Old 12-17-2010, 11:29 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Kelly, congratulations!!

I have a Scale-Based NSV... I know, weird, right? But it has nothing to do with actual weight loss this week.

We just got a new puppy a couple of weeks ago (one of the reasons I'm posting here less) and yesterday I went to weigh her. Fully-clothed, WITH jeans, two shirts (layers, it's cold), a belt and shoes and socks on, I stood on the scale with my puppy. Turns out, she weighs 15.5 lbs.

It was shocking to realize that holding a 15.5 lb puppy, while fully clothed I still weighed FOUR POUNDS LESS than I did (sans clothes) when I started Medi in September.

Holy cow.

Last edited by diertac; 12-17-2010 at 11:31 AM..
Old 12-19-2010, 12:24 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Kelly, congratulations!!

I have a Scale-Based NSV... I know, weird, right? But it has nothing to do with actual weight loss this week.

We just got a new puppy a couple of weeks ago (one of the reasons I'm posting here less) and yesterday I went to weigh her. Fully-clothed, WITH jeans, two shirts (layers, it's cold), a belt and shoes and socks on, I stood on the scale with my puppy. Turns out, she weighs 15.5 lbs.

It was shocking to realize that holding a 15.5 lb puppy, while fully clothed I still weighed FOUR POUNDS LESS than I did (sans clothes) when I started Medi in September.

Holy cow.
Congrats on the new puppy!

Isn't that an awesome feeling? I figured out recently that I can get on the scale with my 5-year-old and have pounds to spare. Woohoo!
Old 12-20-2010, 04:20 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnK
Stats: 5'2" 130/127/115
WOE: MediWeightLoss
Start Date: 7/19/10 and 8/27/12
Quote:
Kelly, congratulations!!

Holy cow.
Hi Cat ~ congratulations on your new baby!! You ought to lose weight just chasing that rascal around . I always said, it's a good thing puppies are so darn cute, or you'd want to kill 'em... JK, of course!
I know what you mean, though... I can now weigh my full grown cocker spaniel and the weight is less than I was in July.
You are doing SO great, girl!!!
Have I mentioned that I love Medi lately???
AnnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 04:24 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GatorEng2007
Stats: ht: 5'7" wt: 212.8/165/140
Start Date: 11/15/10
A small NSV..

My work pants are just too big... I feel very ghetto because they are baggy....

I worry about what top I am going to wear, not because I need to hide the muffin top caused by my pants, but because I worry about what will look ok with baggy pants.

1 or 2 days of work this week then I am off until the 3rd, so I will get through christmas and then starting looking through the clothes I had stashed away in vacuum bags under my bed because they were too small. :-)

I can also maybe have more than 2 pairs of pants that I can wear to work. It has always been very tough because there is usually only 1 or 2 pairs that I am comfortable wearing in public.

And congrats on the puppy :-)
GatorEng2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 06:11 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Ann, your profile picture is beautiful! I love it!

Charlie, I love this! "I feel very ghetto because they are baggy..."

I feel the same way right now! My size 12 work pants are too baggy, but if I can skate by long enough I'm pretty sure I can skip into size 8's and save some money.

I lucked into two very good friends who were giving away clothes that were too big for them to Goodwill. I asked if they had any pants or tops in my size (M/10) and they both said yes! I have about 8 pairs of jeans now, and 3 pantsuits. It doesn't all fit me yet, but IT WILL!