Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2010, 10:30 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Desert-Rose7
Stats: 5'11"/262/150/150
WOE: MediWeightLoss
Start Date: 12/19/08 in Wellness since 09/03/2009
*.*Nuttily Nutricious November for MWL*.*

Ah yes, November! We can breathe now that Halloween is over and gone....but here comes November...Thanksgiving is on the horizon and the holiday party season will be getting underway. Food will be EVERYWHERE! We have the tools to make good choices, wise decisions, and find our MWL path through the maze successfully.

Come on everyone, OWN November, OWN the plan, OWN your success!

You CAN do this!!

Jo

Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2010, 06:00 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kelly4me
Stats: Lost 53 pounds 2010, Restart 2013
WOE: MWL in 2010, Low Carb 2013
Start Date: 8/27/2010, 10/22/2013
I did a massive closet purge this weekend. I got rid of at least half of my clothes. In the process, it occurred to me that I'm going to need an entirely new wardrobe by the time that I reach my goal weight. I haven't bought much at all to this point, but I'm about to have a real problem. I have one pair of size 12 pants (bought to "check" fit) and one pair of size 12 shorts. All of my remaining tops are XL. I can make the tops continue to work for a while, but the bottoms are going to need to be replaced. I've already gone through 18W, 16W, 16R and now am in 14's - in the 9 weeks on the program. I really don't want to buy much since I don't know where I'll end up - I'm thinking probably 10's or so. I tried Goodwill, but I didn't have much luck since I need petite length pants. How are you guys dealing with this? Are you just buying a couple of "interim" pieces and making due?

Working on low carb lifestyle changes. I did Medi in 2010. Using their ideas to make permanent life changes on my own.

First goal: -20
Currently: -6.4
10/29: -2.2
11/5: -4.2
Old 11-01-2010, 06:12 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: piratewoman
Stats: 239.8/157.2/? 5'6 age:56 20W then-6 misses now
WOE: Atkins- very low carb
Start Date: August 2010
I went to K-Mart and bought 2 prs of there Basic Edition jeans at 13 bucks a pair, I figured when they get to big I have only wasted 26 bucks
Old 11-01-2010, 06:40 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Charlene4
Stats: 154.5/135/135
WOE: vegan/vegetarian
Start Date: June 7,2010
[quote/]Lea said (on October post):HA HA, Nancy! I didin't buy my candy until yesterday and then left it in the bags out in the garage until tonite. My daughter brought it in and started putting it in a big bowl. We get as many as 300 kids in my neighborhood so I usually end up buying like 20 big bags of candy. This year I bought 8. And I decided when it was gone, it's gone. AND if we didn't get that many, I'd start doubling up and tripling and whatever I needed to do to not have even one piece left in the house. Well the kids both pulled back about five Snicker bars each, 5 Kit Kats, Miks Duds, Reece's Peanut Butter cups, Skittles and Starbursts and I told them to get them out of my sight. I sat by the door eating baby carrots while handing out the candy. It wasn't until I smelled the Snicker bars that I was even tempted and then I sent my daughter with all the candy to the neighbor's house to hand out the candy there. Is that wrong???? [/quote]

Whatever it takes!!!!! This sounds like a good plan to me! We took my little guy to a couple halloween festivals over the weekend and he got to do plenty of trick or treating...and last night he actually WANTED to stay home and pass out candy. I had mine (three huge bags from Costco) hiding under my bedroom chair until last night. This is the first year of my life that I haven't had one piece of halloween candy. It wasn't as hard as I thought it was gonna be. We sat out on the front porch for about 2 hours....I have to admit that a couple times I did try to take a York Peppermint patty since I love those and I know they are one of the lesser evils in the candy world but my son told me "No mom, this candy is for the kids!". He kept me in check. I still have some left overs which I meant to bring to work today but I was in a hurry and forgot. My husband will take care of most of it if it's at the house but I don't want him eating all that either! Maybe when I get home I'll put it back under the chair!

maintenance
Old 11-01-2010, 07:06 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tydreamer
WOE: Medi Weight Loss
Start Date: 2/10/10
My kids brought back the leftovers they took to the neighbors even tho I thought I told them to get rid of ALL of it, AND they brought back several of HER pieces as well!! I saw a Tootsie Roll, a Laughy Taffy and something else...I forget now. Anyway, they set the huge bowl on the coffee table. It was there when I went to bed. It was there this morning when I was getting ready for work and it'll be there when I get home. When they get home from school, I'll have them divvy it up and get it away from me.

Charlene, I LOVE peppermint patties. LOVE them. Even the no sugar variety! I'm so proud of you for resisting!! This is the first year I've not had even one nibble too, so it was a huge feat! I didn't even have a Twizzler!!

Right now I'm kind of making myself an eating plan - a list of food that I know are trigger foods (hello peanut butter) and put them on my "no" list. I just can't eat them in moderation no matter how hard I try. I'm just going to have to eliminate them all together if I want to keep the weight off and keep my sanity. So far almost everything starts with a C (C for Carb???) = Cookies, Cake, Candy, Crackers, Caramels, Chips...
Old 11-01-2010, 09:21 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: melody7287
Stats: 203/157/135
Start Date: October 2010
Had my last weigh in Thursday and lost only 2.5 lbs, but... I actually lost 4lbs of fat and gained some water fat! So I'll take it!
I'm excited about Thanksgiving and seeing how Medi fits into that!

Week 1-6.6 Week 2-4.4 Week 3-2.5
Old 11-01-2010, 09:25 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Desert-Rose7
Stats: 5'11"/262/150/150
Start Date: 12/19/08 in Wellness since 09/03/2009
The "no list" is something I did as well. On my list are:
Rice (any kind...it does not like me anymore)
Candy
Popcorn
Cashews
Macadamias
Raisins
French Fries
Fast Food
Fried Chicken
Red Meat
Red/Black licorice
Yellow cheeses
White breads
White pastas
......deprived....no...I just know where my limits are. I CAN have some of these things if I go out to a restaurant, where the quantity is limited and I do not take them home. And the list is a "working document".

Jo

Last edited by Desert-Rose7; 11-01-2010 at 09:27 AM..
Old 11-01-2010, 09:46 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

I'm trying to determine what foods are going to be forever banned and what foods I just can't have at home. Almonds, for example. If I had a handful at work, that wouldn't be so bad. Cause I know I would stop with that handful. But when I buy them and bring them home, I don't have the turn off switch and one serving is like 170 calories and it's just a small little portion. I could easily end up eating 4 or 5 servings and still want more. I might stop eating the almonds but then might move on to the next thing - like the peanut butter. So...I'm still trying to determine what is off limits for me permanently and what just can't come into my home. Peanut butter is a goner on both counts. Too bad, too, cause I love it so!!
Old 11-01-2010, 09:46 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnK
Stats: 5'2" 130/127/115
Start Date: 7/19/10 and 8/27/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly4me View Post
I did a massive closet purge this weekend. I got rid of at least half of my clothes. In the process, it occurred to me that I'm going to need an entirely new wardrobe by the time that I reach my goal weight. I haven't bought much at all to this point, but I'm about to have a real problem. I have one pair of size 12 pants (bought to "check" fit) and one pair of size 12 shorts. All of my remaining tops are XL. I can make the tops continue to work for a while, but the bottoms are going to need to be replaced. I've already gone through 18W, 16W, 16R and now am in 14's - in the 9 weeks on the program. I really don't want to buy much since I don't know where I'll end up - I'm thinking probably 10's or so. I tried Goodwill, but I didn't have much luck since I need petite length pants. How are you guys dealing with this? Are you just buying a couple of "interim" pieces and making due?
Haha ~ Kelly, I went through the same thing & still am, even though I've reached goal. My pants started falling off & became so baggy in all areas, it's been kind of embarrassing. I did pick up a few prs of shorts, a pr of "capri" jeans & another pr of jeans at Goodwill... I'm short, too (5'2"), so I gave in recently & did some regular shopping. Not too much, though, because I plan to stay this smaller size for a LONG time, so shopping can be a treat. When you wear a smaller size, have you noticed that people comment on your weight loss? I found that to be the case ~ I guess the bigger clothing covers up the new shape!
Old 11-01-2010, 12:00 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ash347
WOE: Medi
Start Date: March 20,09
Good Afternoon medi friends!
We all seem to make it through halloween okay!
It was my first halloween not going out on the town in costume. Sad I missed out, but dont miss the hangover!

kelly and ann- how awesome to get rid of clothes that are too big! I have been kind of afraid too, I think i am afraid what if i fail and need them?? Does anyone else feel that way? I still end up wearing pants that are too big. I am going to do a few days of week 1. I had a tummy bug and ate way too many crackers.
Its the first of the month, i love that new month- new goal feeling

** Ashley**
One day at a time..
Old 11-01-2010, 01:49 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: staceymk
Stats: 246/236/185
Start Date: Oct 21, 2010
Hello everybody,

I came across these forums last week after signing up at Medi and wanted to introduce myself, and not just be a lurker.

I started a week and a half ago, and had a great first week. I was down 9.8 pounds and feeling fantastic about the plan and the eating and everything. My energy level was up and I hadn't been hungry at all that week.

Interestingly, my clinic told me (and their hand outs say so too) that during the first week I should mainly eat protein, but that I could also have up to 20 carbs per day. They suggested I just focus on keeping the carbs below 20, eating a variety of proteins and just letting the calories be whatever they turned out to be. Most days during week one I was between 1,000-1,300 calories with 15 or so carbs.

This week though, week two, they've said to limit myself to 800 calories and 10-15 carbs. And let me tell you, I can feel the difference - and it's not good. After 4 days of this I'm grouchy, tired and stressed that it's hard to stretch 800 calories over 5 mini-meals. I didn't feel this way at all during week one! I've only managed to do 800 calories twice and the other two days I was closer to 1,000, but I did keep the carbs below 15 all four days.

Did/do you guys experience this? Is it normal for the medi staff to give you different caloric/carb goals for different weeks?

Just wondering about all of this. It's still new to me! Like, I've read on here various people doing "600 calories of protein" but then how many other calories from other foods add to that to get the total for the day?

Thanks! I'm still excited about Medi, I just want to understand why they'd change my plan for week two if week one was working!

Stacey
Old 11-01-2010, 06:33 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnK View Post
Haha ~ Kelly, I went through the same thing & still am, even though I've reached goal. My pants started falling off & became so baggy in all areas, it's been kind of embarrassing. I did pick up a few prs of shorts, a pr of "capri" jeans & another pr of jeans at Goodwill... I'm short, too (5'2"), so I gave in recently & did some regular shopping. Not too much, though, because I plan to stay this smaller size for a LONG time, so shopping can be a treat. When you wear a smaller size, have you noticed that people comment on your weight loss? I found that to be the case ~ I guess the bigger clothing covers up the new shape!
So true, Ann. This past week I got "Wow, you look like a whole new person - I guess it's because you're wearing clothes that fit." and also "Where exactly did you leave the other half of yourself?" Both really made me feel great and feel that much more excited about completing the acute phase for the other half of my weight loss goal.

I did go by the outlets today and pick up a few pieces in smaller sizes so that I have some stuff to shrink into. I like to have things to look forward to!
Old 11-01-2010, 06:35 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash347 View Post
Good Afternoon medi friends!
We all seem to make it through halloween okay!
It was my first halloween not going out on the town in costume. Sad I missed out, but dont miss the hangover!

kelly and ann- how awesome to get rid of clothes that are too big! I have been kind of afraid too, I think i am afraid what if i fail and need them?? Does anyone else feel that way? I still end up wearing pants that are too big. I am going to do a few days of week 1. I had a tummy bug and ate way too many crackers.
Its the first of the month, i love that new month- new goal feeling
Failure is not an option!
Old 11-01-2010, 06:36 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Wow, Lea!! Awesome picture!
Old 11-01-2010, 07:00 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Wow, Lea!! Awesome picture!
Thanks - that's the one from my "Medi shoot" in October. It was a blast and they made us look and feel fantastic!
Old 11-01-2010, 07:18 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mary T8M
Stats: 5'2" 228/144/125 good-bye 150's
WOE: LC/LF/LCal (medi)
Start Date: 4/23/10
Lea....WOW

Ann and Kelly do you have Bealls or Bealls Outlets in your area? They have tons of petites. Craigslist also lists clothes. Consignment stores usually have nicer things than many Goodwill stores. I'm becoming an expert of shopping thrift stores.......besides losing all of this weight my husband also lost his job in June, so I really need to watch our spending....BTW he's also doing Medi, and has lost 80 pounds!

I started making applebutter, and pepper jelly today to give as Christmas gifts. I got so involved I forgot to eat like I should today (I was advised to not go more than 2 hr without eating).......I DID skip anything to drink except plain water today (after my coffee this morning) so was happy with that!

Debbie, I found a bunch of low carb (high fat) recipies I used to make. I'm going to try to adjust them to make them more Medi friendly, then run them through fit day to get the calorie/carb count. IF any work out I'll post them! Several soups

Mary T8M (Tatem)

New member of the 80 pounds gone club

Whether you think you can, or you can't, either way you're right!
Henry Ford
Old 11-01-2010, 07:57 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ericak44
Stats: 189/180/ size 10
Start Date: 10/1/10- restart 5/29/12
Jo- I think I am going to have to make myself a similar list. I am learning that I definitely have trigger foods.

Anne- Sometimes having all of your clothes be too big is as frusterating as having them too small only it's more fun to shop for new ones. Our Medi had a swap last weekend. People brought in their too big clothes and swapped down for a smaller size. I didn't get to participate but it seemed like a logical thing to do.

Today marks one month of medi and I am thrilled with the results. I ate 2 snickers out of my kid's Halloween basket on Sunday (the first time I cheated on Medi) and I am paying the price. I am having cravings like crazy. I don't feel nearly as in control of my eating as I did 2 days ago. Anyone experience this? Should I go back to week 1 for a couple of days? I am still in moderate ketosis, I drank a ton of water today, and I know I went over my calories but I tried to at least make it protein choices.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:49 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Fit2010
Stats: Ht 5'3" Wt 12/09=190;9/10=137;2/14=196.5
WOE: MediWeightLoss-like/Atkins-like
Start Date: 12-28-09; restart 02-07-14
Jo and Lea - It's smart to list things out like this.....I think my list would be really long! I definitely know I have trigger foods. And like Ericka mentioned above, it just makes for cravings like crazy. When I read her statement I felt empathy, like "well, don't make yourself have to go through that pain then." But when "I" do it it's because it's an emotional reward or something....duh! "Well, I should'nt allow MYSELF to go through that pain then either!" I'm so glad we can all be outloud with our thoughts, struggles, techniques, and successes here! Thanks! Ever-learning....

Last edited by Fit2010; 11-01-2010 at 08:50 PM..
Old 11-02-2010, 04:03 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Lea ~ GORGEOUS!!
Old 11-02-2010, 04:06 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Mary ~ I don't believe we have Bealls in the Charleston area, but I'll Google them. Thanks for the tip! For now, I've been ordering something now & then from LL Bean (their "perfect fit" pants are great for ALL activities) and hitting a sale occasionally at Belk, since both have petites that fit me.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:08 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

One thing that I'm really trying to do right now is to create an arsenal of Medi-friendly recipes that I can feed to my whole family. This has got to be a permanent change for me, so I need to adapt. I bought a magazine - Better Homes and Gardens "Our Best Diabetic Recipes" - it's on the news stands now. It has tons of gorgeous recipes - some are fine for acute, and a lot look great for maintenance if you skip the sandwich and some of the dessert sections. There are enough good ones, and ones that could be adapted that it was worth the purchase.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:09 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnK View Post
Mary ~ I don't believe we have Bealls in the Charleston area, but I'll Google them. Thanks for the tip! For now, I've been ordering something now & then from LL Bean (their "perfect fit" pants are great for ALL activities) and hitting a sale occasionally at Belk, since both have petites that fit me.
I don't think that we have Bealls either.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:44 AM   #23
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Paulyesthers
Stats: 206.2/145/145
WOE: MediWeight Loss Clinics
Start Date: October 18, 2010
Happy November all! I was feeling bloated last week and I was right, my water was up 3 1/2 lbs which made me frustrated until I saw I had still lost pure fat. I guess it was just that time of the month because I always drink my water - and I've always drank more than needed in fact week one I drank double and was told to drink less so I don't flush my vitamins. I already feel it coming off this week! I just need to figure out a way to prevent this every month. Most of the salt I'm getting is in my powerade zero. I'm really sensative to the taste of salt, so I tend to avoid it and over pepper everything.

Thanks Ladies! You inspire me every day!
Old 11-02-2010, 07:44 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: got2getmoving
Stats: 298/292.8/xxx
WOE: trying to figure it out
Start Date: everyday
. subscribing to keep up with all of your successes!!!
Old 11-02-2010, 07:55 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: diertac
Stats: 196.6/167.2/155
WOE: MWL
Start Date: 09/21/10
Really?

I got some confusing information at my MWL clinic today and I wanted to double check in here to make sure I've got it right.

The counselor/RN made the following statements. The last one is the one that is different from what I recall seeing/reading somewhere.

This one I'm okay with, it's consistent with what they've been telling me:
- I should eat a carb/protein snack before my hard workouts (she suggested almonds and raisins, or whole wheat slice of bread with peanut butter), and I should NOT count this toward my calories/carbs for the day

This one confuses me:
- I should NOT eat the calories burned during my workout for that day. I should stay at my normal 800-900 calorie range for the day.

What does your clinic say? I thought that I should be eating the calories burned when I exercise, and in fact I have been doing so and losing weight just fine.

I asked her to clarify it several times, and she did. I even gave her this past Saturday's example: I did two spin classes for 2.5 hours of spinning, my HRM said I burned 1400 calories in 150 minutes (about right for hard effort spinning) and of those 1400 I "indulged" by allowing myself about 800 extra calories at dinner that night. (Big steak night! Our new tradition on Saturdays. )

She said I shouldn't have had any extra calories on that day, even with that example.

Just curious what you all have heard? Or if it's written somewhere I can reference?

Thanks!
Old 11-02-2010, 08:19 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: msawhitt
Stats: 220/130/145
Start Date: August 11, 2010
On the topic of Halloween candy:

For those of you with kids (and their candy) in the house, go online and search for "Halloween candy buy back". A lot of dentists participate in this program, where they will buy candy for $1 per pound and send it to the troops overseas. The main website has a zip code search feature, so you can find one near you who is participating. I offered to double my daughters cash, and after 5 Halloween parties worth of candy she made off with enough to buy Toy Story 3 (which came out today).

I can't have it in my house. Willpower is great and all, I just wasn't born with any.....: )

lost 45 pounds in 3 months with MWL!

total loss of 90 pounds since May 2010

In maintenance : )
Old 11-02-2010, 08:20 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: losing in Ftm
Stats: restart Apr 2012
Start Date: 5/5/10
My clinic said to increase my protein calories by 100-200 on my hard workout days (I usually max out at 800-1000 calories burned) but I have never been told to replace all of the calories that I burned. I don't have anything in writing it is just what my counselor and I discussed. Hope that helps.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:31 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by losing in Ftm View Post
My clinic said to increase my protein calories by 100-200 on my hard workout days (I usually max out at 800-1000 calories burned) but I have never been told to replace all of the calories that I burned. I don't have anything in writing it is just what my counselor and I discussed. Hope that helps.
Thanks for sharing what your clinic told you. I thought it was written at the bottom of one of those weekly handouts they gave me, but of course that's buried in my drawer at home where I can't get to it. I guess no more brontosaurus sized steaks for me on Saturday.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:42 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I did a massive closet purge this weekend. I got rid of at least half of my clothes. ... I tried Goodwill, but I didn't have much luck since I need petite length pants. How are you guys dealing with this? Are you just buying a couple of "interim" pieces and making due?
You know, there really ought to be a clothes swap site on weight loss forums, where local people can swap out all their clothes with other people for different sizes!

I myself have a stack of size 14 slacks and size 12 pants that I don't want. My rule is that I must be able to fit into the clothing before I give it away... So, I've got all my 12's out of my closet and I've been trying them on. As stuff fits, I decide if I want to keep it or not. Right now I'm getting rid of about half the 12's because they're either not that high quality, or I just don't like the clothing.

My biggest problem is work slacks. Seems the last time I was a size 10, I was big on wearing khaki pants to work. I have tons of Dockers. Now I work in a more formal job and I wear fancier pants, of which I have no smaller sizes. Last week I had to ROLL the waist band over on my work pants in order to keep them from falling down! (The pants in question are attached in the photo.)

I've been budgeting $30 here or there to get a pair of slacks when each pair gets too small. I buy mine at Dillard's, but I'm only buying 1 pair of black, and 1 pair of these brown/black type that can go with brown or black shoes. I figure I'll wear my new size 12 slacks (Finally had to buy them last Friday) until THEY get to the point that I have to roll the waistband over, and then I'll splurge on the size 10's. Wish I could just return 'em. They're not being worn that long, honest!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fatpants.jpg (7.2 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by diertac; 11-02-2010 at 08:44 AM..
Old 11-02-2010, 10:53 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Cat - I was told not to replace the calories that I've burned - nor to supplement the workouts in any way. I'm burning about 1200 calories per week. That being said, I do eat at the high end of my range (500-650 protein calories) every day in the meantime!
Closed Thread