Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2010, 09:58 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Desert-Rose7
Stats: 5'11"/262/150/150
WOE: MediWeightLoss
Start Date: 12/19/08 in Wellness since 09/03/2009
*Outstandingly Outrageous October 4 MWL*

Wow! Here we are in October! Spooky, scary Halloween, and wonderful fall foliage. Nothing better than walking through fallen leaves in all those glorious colors! Make October your own, and live the program 100%. You CAN do it!

Jo

Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2010, 04:25 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnK
Stats: 5'2" 133/133/115
Start Date: 7/22/14
Happy October, All ~ I'm loving this cooler weather in SC!
Madmax ~ 9 pounds lost is terrific, as are two inches... I learned early on in this program that the fit of your clothes tells much more than the scale. Plus, you're getting healthier by the day. Be happy and proud of yourself, and keep up the good work.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:58 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lins
WOE: Medi-weightloss
Start Date: 1/12/14
I think I need to refocus my goal. It's now about living a healthy lifestyle, in my new healthy body. Yes I CAN eat a little more carbs now but honestly I haven't been eating that great, and I don't feel that great either. I feel much better physically when I eat right and get all my water in. I really am only cheating myself when I allow food to control me again. So today is a new day, and a new month, doesn't get much better than that. So instead of trying to focus so much on the food, I am just going to focus on being healthy. I don't really want to eat food that doesn't make me feel good. Heatlhy food makes my body feel better, which makes me feel better, which makes my happier. That is the key.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:39 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mary T8M
Stats: 5'2" 228/144/125 good-bye 150's
WOE: LC/LF/LCal (medi)
Start Date: 4/23/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lins View Post
I think I need to refocus my goal. It's now about living a healthy lifestyle, in my new healthy body. Yes I CAN eat a little more carbs now but honestly I haven't been eating that great, and I don't feel that great either. I feel much better physically when I eat right and get all my water in. I really am only cheating myself when I allow food to control me again. So today is a new day, and a new month, doesn't get much better than that. So instead of trying to focus so much on the food, I am just going to focus on being healthy. I don't really want to eat food that doesn't make me feel good. Heatlhy food makes my body feel better, which makes me feel better, which makes my happier. That is the key.
Diertec said in a post on the September board:

In Sunday's "Parade" magazine there was an article about Drew Carey's weight loss. He was doing great until he allowed himself a treat that turned into a two day pizza binge. They write that since then, he's posted this above his bathroom mirror:

"Eating crappy food is not a reward - it's a punishment."

I'm thinking my bathroom mirror needs to have that too.

I read that article too and thought the SAME thing......I've printed that out and it's now posted on my Fridge!

Mary T8M (Tatem)

New member of the 80 pounds gone club

Whether you think you can, or you can't, either way you're right!
Henry Ford
Old 10-01-2010, 07:49 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ortal
Stats: 184/138/120 5'5"
WOE: Medi
Start Date: 4/26/2010
oh rain, why must you make my life difficult. the office bbq (chicken, burgers, thins I can live with) just got turned into a pizza party. I cant leave and get food, and Im very unprepared. salad it is I guess.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:52 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

A few days ago I found a 13 pound turkey in the freezer that I had forgotten was there. So I thawed it out in the fridge, and then brined it for about 24 hours, I roasted it yesterday in one of those cooking bags! What a TREAT! Between the brining, and the cooking bag it was nice and moist, and fall off the bone tender! The house smelled fabulous. I pulled the rest of the meat off of the bones, and have it ready to go, so fixing meals from it will be a snap!
If you've never brined a turkey before (I also brine pork, & chicken) you've GOT to try it! I've seen and used many recipes for the brine, but basically I never taste ANY of the seasonings except the salt. I now just add salt to the water. I have one of those large orange beverage coolers (rubbermaid I think) that I put the solution in, then add ice to keep the turkey at the proper temp, without taking up space in the fridge.
After the rain we had from that tropical storm it's now nice and cool (and DRY) so being outside has been heavenly! Welcome October!
Old 10-01-2010, 08:29 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: losing in Ftm
Stats: restart Apr 2012
Start Date: 5/5/10
Love to brine too!! Never brined chicken but I do pork and turkey all the time. For turkey I always splurge on the Williams Sonoma brine seasoning but I mix it up for my pork. This has been a interesting week reading everyone posts. It must be sonething to do with the rain. It seems that everyone is struggling with alot of the same issues this week. I know alot of what was said struck a chord with me. I am working on my last 11 lbs and it is coming off 1/2lb to 1lb a week. At this rate it will take a minimum of another 10 weeks and $800. Am considering doing the opposite of what everyone else is doing and raise my goal and go into transition then maintainence now. With the holidays coming up money is going to be VERY tight. Then after the !st taking another look at where I am.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:54 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnK
Stats: 5'2" 133/133/115
Start Date: 7/22/14
"Eating crappy food is not a reward - it's a punishment."
I read the Drew Carey article, too, and this saying also stayed in my head! A lot like someone here posted once (and I'll paraphrase, sorry, can't remember exactly) - It's really hard losing weight, but harder being fat!
Old 10-01-2010, 10:25 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortal View Post
oh rain, why must you make my life difficult. the office bbq (chicken, burgers, thins I can live with) just got turned into a pizza party. I cant leave and get food, and Im very unprepared. salad it is I guess.

I went with salad, a small piece of pumpkin pie (just the filling, its the best part), and a few oz of ricotta cheese from a slice of pizza on top of the salad. DE-LISH
Old 10-01-2010, 12:31 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: onajourney
Stats: 288.5/252/160-170?
WOE: Medi-Weightloss
Start Date: 06/10/2010
I just got out of the hospital ( spent 5 days) and had a sudden onset of acute cholecystitis (gallbladder inflammation) which caused pancreatitis
(I dont drink alcohol, lol)
No stones just severe inflammation.

I had my gallbladder removed.

I went 4 days with nothing to eat or drink.
I was restarted on liq diet and now reg diet but still cant tolerate much.
They believe it was brought on by the diet and weight loss.
My Dr wants me to continue to lose weight.

Has anyone else had to have gallbladder surgery?
How did it effect the diet and weight loss?
Right now I cant eat much at all. So I have had what I can tolerate.
I hope to continue on the diet or as close as possible.

I just have some concerns with digestion of all protein right after the surgery and if able to tolerate.

I feel terrible about this- I was doing well and dont want a set back. Have to keep moving forward.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:50 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: suzanna1
Stats: 215/173/149 5'8" 38 years old
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Onajourney ~ I am so sorry to hear about your hospitalization for gall bladder surgery! I hope you feel better very soon.

There were a couple of members that had gall bladder surgery at the end of last year. I did a quick search of the board and found this post... http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/me...l#post12865384 & here.. http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/me...l#post12878569

I hope you keep going. You are doing great with your weight loss!
Old 10-01-2010, 02:52 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: loyemarie
Stats: 5'7"~258/226.2/170
WOE: MWL
Start Date: September 8, 2010
I was on a diet similar to this one 6 years ago, and had the same thing happen when I was "done" and ate something fatty. Your gallbladder has been somewhat dormant all the time you were eating low carb/fat, so when we ask it to kick into gear with something fatty, it can go haywire. At least that's what happened to me. Same thing - cholecystectomy and pancreatitis.

Since then, I can't eat but only small amounts of foods that have a lot of fat - ribs, chocolate, rich sauces, etc. But, the doc says you just have to learn by doing because everyone reacts differently. Some have no issues at all.

Good luck!
Old 10-01-2010, 03:26 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dodgern
Stats: 236/150.6/140- now on maintenance
Start Date: 2/26/09
Gallbladder

Ok....

Since I am a GI RN and work with GI docs everday, I'll give the skinny on gallbladders and weightloss

I was chatting about gallbladder issues with one MD and he said that people who lose large amounts of weight are ALL at risk for gallbladder problems

It's due to the reduced amount of fat in our diets!!

However, if you read the material given to you by MWL, they recommend that you eat almonds and use olive oil to cook your meat in or use it on your veggies. The fat helps protect your gallbladder.

Just my 2 cents worth

cindy
Old 10-01-2010, 03:49 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: msawhitt
Stats: 220/130/145
Start Date: August 11, 2010
Lea (and anyone else who cares, lol),

I hope you are having a better attempt at week 1 again than I am! I have already given up, it was just too difficult for me to keep eating that way! There is just something so unhealthy about feeling disappointed that I had a salad (like a week 2 friendly salad) for lunch, I was headed for failure if I stuck with the week 1 program for a whole week. I feel like at this point my clinic is almost putting too much pressure on me to lose weight, crazy as that may sound. I have lost so much, I personally am completely fine with a 1-2 pound per week weight loss. I almost WANT to take these last pounds slowly, to get more in a "regular eating" pattern. I talked with my clinic last weigh-in about finishing up by the end of October, but I will probably go over it again next Wednesday. Although I am not at my goal weight, I am ready to start transitioning into wellness...I feel like a walking time bomb trying to stick perfectly to the acute plan right now! Ugh, I am so sick of having to think about food all the time with trying to plan my meals and what not...I feel like the planning of it all is making me develop unhealthy attitudes towards food! Does that make sense to anyone, or am I just crazy right now?

lost 45 pounds in 3 months with MWL!

total loss of 90 pounds since May 2010

In maintenance : )
Old 10-01-2010, 03:58 PM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: madmax79
Stats: 5'11" - 223/204/190
WOE: Medi Weight Loss
Start Date: 23 SEP 10
Thanks AnnK. I think this will be good in the long run. It already feels like it takes less to make me feel full.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:24 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Fit2010
Stats: Ht 5'3" Wt 12/09=190;9/10=137;2/14=196.5
WOE: MediWeightLoss-like/Atkins-like
Start Date: 12-28-09; restart 02-07-14
Re: gallbladder and pancreatitis. OUCH! As a past ER RN I know that pancreatitis is one of the worse pains a patient can have, so miserable for so long, gnawing pain! (I've never had it--thankfully I've been snacking on almonds too; that was good info Cindy!) My youngest DD has a friend who had most of her stomach removed about a year ago for food intake reduction, she got so sick within about 2 months lost 60 lbs and developed not only pancreatitis but heart arrhythmias from her electrolytes being out of whack. My DD has learned the medical aspects of the effects of that kind of eating and the complications, due to caring for her friend periodically.

I think as the cooler temps are coming on we are all having that "nesting" feeling. This week I've been drinking Apple Cider Herb Tea - no calories, no sweetener. Tastes yummy! Last week we had sweet potatoes a couple times too! I think all the posts this week are making me take a commitment to really, really stick with my jogging and zumba exercise routine. I know in the past as it got cooler I'd just want to bundle up and sit on the couch! I'm looking forward to having the continued accountability to ensure I STAY Fit2010!

MaryT8M - I like to roast a turkey a couple times a year, and in the acute phase during the winter I did so about every 3rd week! I'd then tear up the meat into 2, 3, or 4 oz that I'd weigh and place into ziplock sandwich baggies and label with a black permanent marker and freeze. I've never brined anything. How much salt do you add?

Last edited by Fit2010; 10-01-2010 at 04:29 PM..
Old 10-01-2010, 06:30 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tydreamer
WOE: Medi Weight Loss
Start Date: 2/10/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by msawhitt View Post
Lea (and anyone else who cares, lol),

I hope you are having a better attempt at week 1 again than I am! I have already given up, it was just too difficult for me to keep eating that way! There is just something so unhealthy about feeling disappointed that I had a salad (like a week 2 friendly salad) for lunch, I was headed for failure if I stuck with the week 1 program for a whole week. I feel like at this point my clinic is almost putting too much pressure on me to lose weight, crazy as that may sound. I have lost so much, I personally am completely fine with a 1-2 pound per week weight loss. I almost WANT to take these last pounds slowly, to get more in a "regular eating" pattern. I talked with my clinic last weigh-in about finishing up by the end of October, but I will probably go over it again next Wednesday. Although I am not at my goal weight, I am ready to start transitioning into wellness...I feel like a walking time bomb trying to stick perfectly to the acute plan right now! Ugh, I am so sick of having to think about food all the time with trying to plan my meals and what not...I feel like the planning of it all is making me develop unhealthy attitudes towards food! Does that make sense to anyone, or am I just crazy right now?
Stacey, I had 50 calories worth of broccoli slaw today. Definitely not on week one, but like you, I can't feel too bad about what I ate. I'm at about 700 calories for the day, all protein except the slaw. Since I'm not trying to get back in ketosis, I don't think I'm really bothered by the carbs.

I've been where you are with the program and ready to transition. And I starting getting kinda crazy about 5 pounds before goal. I stuck it out and actually hit goal on the day I was going to start transition no matter what the scale says. Since you can still lose in transition and maintenance, I say move on forward when you're ready!!
Old 10-01-2010, 08:22 PM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: onajourney
Stats: 288.5/252/160-170?
WOE: Medi-Weightloss
Start Date: 06/10/2010
Thank You all for the responses regarding the gallbladder.

Suzanna I did look at those other threads - thanks.

The funny thing is I am an RN also, lol. Have been kinda out of it due to the pain. I knew the risk of weightloss and gallbladder issues but when it happened "ouch".

I followed the diet - I ate the almonds and incorporated the olive oil.

The day it happended it was early morning and the last time I had ate was
6-7 pm that evening. I ate nothing fatty. I had turkey and lettuce.
I was kinda surprised but I guess these things happen sometimes.

I am just more anxious about moving forward - I was started on a liquid diet and I did eat the diet I was given in the hospital...I hate feeling guilty about it although it wasnt much it did include carbs.

I was told I should slowly transition back on the diet - I feel very caught in the middle. I will move forward and try not to worry.
I think the mental aspect of the diet is the hardest and it gets hard with worry on what to eat all the time.

Sorry for the rambling....again thank you all!
Old 10-01-2010, 08:41 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

good night ladies... my first 5k is tomorrow... im pretty nervous actually... about the race itself andabout the fact that i need to eat real carbs an hour or two before. hope my stomach can take it... wish me luck!
Old 10-01-2010, 08:57 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

I am trying to really think this through, but honestly if I could describe how I feel right now, the best way I can describe it is "one more chicken breast away from a crash course with a pizza....or something". I haven't done anything to ruin my Medi diet...yet....but I feel like a ticking time bomb! I want to have a little more freedom in my diet (fruit, whole grains, etc...), but am I ready? Can I maybe make it one more week? I just feel all of this tension building inside of me right now, just frustrated with being on such a strict diet. I'm not hungry, just craving a wider variety of healthy foods.

I'm sorry to be going on and on about this, I just really need to talk it out, and am hoping some of you in wellness can send me some thoughts. I'm having a hard time being completely honest with my clinic because I am planning on moving over to WW full time at the end of the month (I have been going to meetings regularly for about 3 weeks now, and have been "point"-ing out my Medi diet and coming up about half short every day!), and I don't want them to either give up on me or just try to sell me on the idea of staying there any longer. I don't like that mentally, I am "disappointed" in myself that I had a salad today...that is just ridiculous and an attitude I do NOT want to encourage!
Old 10-01-2010, 09:09 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

onajourney - What does your surgeon say? Did he/she say though no stones it looked like SLUDGE in your gallbladder? I've heard of that before. And so, what would he/she recommend? I know you don't want to experience that pain (pancreatitis) again. I'm wondering if you've been checked for insulin resistance? In my initial lab draw with MWL the doc at the following appt told me the results showed I had insulin resistance (elevated triglycerides, slightly elevated liver enzymes, a non-fasting slightly elevated glucose level, and an abd girth over 35", actually at that time it was 40"). She started me on Metformin 500 mg TID and had me f/u with my primary physician, who did a HgbA1C and that was 5.9, as you know over 6.0 you're often classified as adult onset diabetic (which happened to both of my parents and 3 out of 4 of my grandparents). It would be worth having these tests done, or see if the initial testing had these correlations in your bloodwork. It makes you all the more determined now to get this weight off doesn't it? Made me so upset to learn I was that close to being labeled a diabetic. About 1 1/2 months ago my repeat HgbA1C after losing 45 lbs was 4.7; both my PCP and MWL docs want me to stay on Metformin 500 mg BID so I do. I cannot believe HOW MUCH BETTER I feel with that weight off; 53 lbs--I call it my "burden" that I carried, for way too long!!

Also, don't feel bad about the hospital "carbs" or the plan they put you on temporarily--this is a healing, recovery time and your body needs to heal.

Best wishes for good health, quickly!
Debbie

Last edited by Fit2010; 10-01-2010 at 09:12 PM..
Old 10-01-2010, 09:21 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Stacey - STOP it! You are making me sad and you're driving yourself crazy! Why feel guilt? That's not healthy! Go to the ENERGY IN/ENERGY OUT thread and get some other ideas besides chicken. Gag...I'd be sick of it too if that's all I ate. Why are you not eating variety? You can make a FAKE PIZZA of microwave or pan fried mozzerella cheese, til almost crispy and then put 17 turkey pepperoni's on it. Wha la! Fake pizza for less than 2 oz of mozz cheese and a serving of turkey pepperoni! I also liked the chicken sausages I'd buy in the deli section of Sam's club--nuke and serve with sauerkraut. The chicken sausage has a different flavor than just plain chicken! Or try cottage cheese. You'll get ideas going to the other thread. Maybe too you'd be interested in doing like what I did this evening. I broiled a dozen pork chops with salt and pepper, then tore off the meat and put in 3oz zip lock baggies and froze so I had servings I could take. Sometimes I've even eaten a pork chop for breakfast for variety!

Last edited by Fit2010; 10-01-2010 at 09:22 PM..
Old 10-02-2010, 07:14 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Debbie,
I do the same thing with the pork chops or pork tenderloin. I cook a LOT with a pressure cooker, so I take a couple pork tenderloins, or even a pork roast (depending on what's on sale) brown it, then add FF chicken broth, salt and pepper (or whatever seasoning strikes me at that moment) and cook it in the pressure cooker for 40 minutes......sometimes up to 60 minutes then when it's cool I shred and weigh it. Its great as a filling for the mozarella heated in a pan until the edges are just brown. I sometimes add just a little (I don't want to make it too sloppy) low carb Bar-B-Q sauce. It's really wonderful!
Shredded chicken or Beef is also good in what my DH now calls a "foldover"! Using the turkey pepperoni and pizza sauce certainly fills the bill when I want pizza!
Old 10-02-2010, 08:47 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Stacey - I hope I didn't come across as too harsh. I'm sorry. You've just written multiple times about chicken and I didn't know if you cannot eat other kinds of meat for some reason or other. I hope you get some ideas from us if this is not the case and that the variety helps!

Mary - Hmmm....I have never used a pressure cooker. But I remember Grandma did and my mom used to have one, moist meat that melted in the mouth. I'll have to look for one! You sound like an amazing cook. I'm so glad you and hubby are doing this together. You're getting so close to goal now....with all your cooking techniques I can definitely see this as a lifelong WOE for you and him!!
Old 10-02-2010, 10:40 AM   #25
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Lara515
Stats: 243/213/140
Start Date: October 5, 2010
Newbie question

Hi everyone,

I had my initial consult and will begin week one on Tuesday, October 5th. I love this forum and have read a lot, but I haven't found if LF mayo is allowed? I would like to have tuna for lunch or dinner, but I cannot eat it naked! I do not like Miracle Whip, so any help? Thanks in advance!
Old 10-02-2010, 11:31 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Deb- absolutely not! I am here to get advice, and just want to hear what everyone has to say : ) I really appreciate your comments!

I don't just eat chicken, lol...that is just the word that always comes out when I am flustered and typing my little rambles : ) I actually have tried a lot of the Medi recipes, and have a freezer FULL of every possible kind of lean protein. I usually do what you mentioned on the weekends, cook a ton and re-portion in little baggies for throughout the week, and of course love my Medi shakes and EAS shakes! I think what I have ultimately been so stressed out about is ketosis...I can NEVER stay in it! I was in it for, oh, 3 whole days this last week and fell out of it again! In order to stay in it, I cannot have any fruit or veg, just lean protein, and I am sick of "going back to protein" every time I fall out of it....which is a lot. Finally this morning (after sleeping in finally and with a much better attitude), I threw away my ketosts test strips. I'm not going to battle with them anymore, I am just going to stick to the week 2 and beyond plan and leave it at that! My clinic makes such a big deal about being in ketosis, but I just can't fight with it anymore.

Whew....thanks again for your response Deb...I just really needed to voice my struggles, which has worked! I am doing much better today.

Have a great weekend everyone!
Old 10-02-2010, 11:33 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara515 View Post
Hi everyone,

I had my initial consult and will begin week one on Tuesday, October 5th. I love this forum and have read a lot, but I haven't found if LF mayo is allowed? I would like to have tuna for lunch or dinner, but I cannot eat it naked! I do not like Miracle Whip, so any help? Thanks in advance!

FF mayo is on my Medi shopping list and was good for week 1. Make sure you buy Fat-free only (actually, Kraft FF has better stats that FF Miracle Whip anyways) and make sure you measure! I cannot have plain tuna either, I always mix mine with 1Tbsp FF mayo and 1 Tbsp no-sugar added sweet relish (made with SPlenda).
Old 10-02-2010, 12:15 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Stacey - Whew! I'm so glad to hear that! Yes, it does take some planning, and even when I cook ahead I don't eat just that or it would be boring! I haven't made tuna in a while, thanks for the idea and I'll plan that in the next day or two. Your weight loss has actually been really good, at least that's what MY clinic would say....you do really well one week and then have less loss the next, that's not a bad thing. In fact, I used to post my weekly losses til I reached goal and ran out of room per the LCF site signature allowance, so I just abbreviated it to show the monthly loss, which, compared to your losses is not as impressive as yours! Remember I started at 190 and purposely went a little slower because I'd had reconstructive surgery that if I lost too fast I was afraid I'd be disproportionate! And I bet if you were to go online and look at your mediweightloss "tab" of what they have been collecting statistics-wise on you you will see you have had a fat loss even on the weeks you had -0.2 and -0.4 lbs weight loss. My clinic doesn't stress ketosis once you are well on your way with fat losses. And, I too found that if I ate fruit, even the allowed fruit, it often took me out of ketosis. There are many things that affect ketosis as you've heard here on this forum, but for your own peace of mind look at your MWL statistics and your personal inches lost! You are doing fabulous, my friend! Don't be discouraged. Take it from a health perspective, you are getting so much healthier!! Has your primary care physician seen you since referring you to Medi? I'm sure he/she would be so estatic about your additional 20 lbs loss in less 7 weeks. We'd expect that as your body has already adjusted from 210 to 184 in the previous 7 wks that there needs to be a little understanding that your body is totally adjusting to what it's been through. Take a deep breath, ahhhhh!!!! Focus this time on WHY you were previously choosing the food instead of hammering yourself with perfection constantly. I think you've looked at the books recommended in the Books and Blog thread. Have you written yourself a letter? How you used to feel versus how awesome you feel now? You don't want to lose this great in control feeling, not perfectionism feeling, but the feeling of not being mastered by your emotions. It's part of the journey we all go on to grow into the New You we are becoming!
Blessings!
Debbie

P.S. This is an excerpt of what I wrote 6/14/10 on the Books and Blogs thread: "I'm reading Julie Hadden's "Fat Chance" - she was in Season 4 of the Biggest Loser and she talks about understanding her worth. It is based on understanding how God views her, and also how she gained Jillian's respect because she stuck to it (the program) despite being the smallest (shortest with the least amount to lose). Here's a quote of what she says Jillian said to her: "Until you quit saying, 'Why me?' and instead start saying, 'Why NOT me,' I want you gone." She went back to her hotel room, picked up her Bible and knew God was speaking to her through Psalm 139:17-18 "How precious to me are your thoughts, O God! How vast is the sum of them! Were I to count them, they would outnumber the grains of sand." And wow (!) look at my avatar...I'm standing in Palo Duro Canyon, completely covered in sand...and that's just one spot in one state in all the universe. Yet He has SO many thoughts, He cares for us so personally and so deeply...I could not count them all!"

This journey for me has also been a spiritual one, though I've been a Christian for over 30 years. At times I would make an "idol" of meeting my needs myself instead of trusting and waiting on God. He's not unfair at all, He has my best in mind for Him, but sometimes I didn't want to think like a Christian, I just wanted to be completely selfish and ended up making emotional choices in the way I ate, which only caused disease in my body and prolonged unhappiness though I enjoyed what I ate for the moment. Hind site is 20/20! I lied to myself for way too long!

Last edited by Fit2010; 10-02-2010 at 12:43 PM..
Old 10-02-2010, 12:33 PM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fit2010 View Post
Stacey - I hope I didn't come across as too harsh. I'm sorry. You've just written multiple times about chicken and I didn't know if you cannot eat other kinds of meat for some reason or other. I hope you get some ideas from us if this is not the case and that the variety helps!

Mary - Hmmm....I have never used a pressure cooker. But I remember Grandma did and my mom used to have one, moist meat that melted in the mouth. I'll have to look for one! You sound like an amazing cook. I'm so glad you and hubby are doing this together. You're getting so close to goal now....with all your cooking techniques I can definitely see this as a lifelong WOE for you and him!!
Debbie, I wouldn't say I'm all that great of a cook, but I guess we all liked what I cooked enough to get 100 pounds overweight! I'm glad Bill and I are doing this together too, it REALLY makes it much easier. I have to say that for the first time in my dieting life, this has been pretty easy, and I believe this is my new WOE and not another diet! I don't really feel like I'm missing anything......all though I do still frequently think I NEED to eat another helping of whatever I'm eating.....then if I wait a while I realize that I've had plenty! Portion control, and eating super fast have always been my enemy I'm not sure I'll ever get the speed part under control.
I have 3 pressure cookers, and actually like the ones made by Futura the best. There is not a pressure gauge on top that needs to be calibrated, and you actually cook at lower temps (that took a little getting used to) I first saw The Galloping Gourmet (Graham Kerr) using one probably 30 years ago and had to have it. I'm still using that original small one and have since bought a larger one, and a really big one for canning. If you get one let me know and I'll give you some pointers.
I also want to say you always give such thoughtful answers to everyone, and are so generous with your knowledge, I REALLY appreciate having you on these boards!
Old 10-02-2010, 12:56 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary T8M View Post
Debbie,
I also want to say you always give such thoughtful answers to everyone, and are so generous with your knowledge, I REALLY appreciate having you on these boards!

Thanks Mary! I know there is a great possibility I would not have been as successful had it not been for this LCF forum! I'm a pretty "out there" feelings wise person and it's been valuable to share my ups and down with people going through the same struggles and life changes; instead of burdening current in-person friendships who may or may not relate! I love that we are all here to hear each other! Thank you friends!!
Closed Thread