Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2010, 09:37 AM   #241
Junior LCF Member
 
Divadeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: greater Boston
Posts: 43
Gallery: Divadeb
Stats: 213/192.6/150
WOE: Medi
Start Date: 9/29/10 restart 2/14/11
Love all the great success stories!!! Honestly, reading everyone's great news and successes really, really helps me stay on track.

Weighed in last Friday and I was down a total of 12.2 pounds (oh, have to update my avatar!!!). Woot!

Funny, the clinic scale is actually a little lighter than my scale at home... never had that happen before, it's usually the opposite! But I like it that way - I weighed myself this morning and I'm down a little more. Looking forward to this week's weigh in.

I'm going to Las Vegas this weekend for a friend's surprise birthday party. I'm very excited for the trip, but definitely worried about the food intake. Since it's a party-weekend (and I'm not the party planner) my control over where we go will be limited. BUT, I'm going to bring plenty of medi supplies (bars, shakes and dressings) and do my best. I really don't want to lose any ground, so I'll be thrilled if I end up with a net zero weight change for those four days. And I'm prepared to go back to week one if need be. When it comes to weight, what happens in Vegas DOES NOT stay in Vegas!!! It follows you home on your butt!
Divadeb is offline  

Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2010, 10:01 AM   #242
Junior LCF Member
 
Divadeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: greater Boston
Posts: 43
Gallery: Divadeb
Stats: 213/192.6/150
WOE: Medi
Start Date: 9/29/10 restart 2/14/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly4me View Post
I could use a few positive thoughts. I found out that my thyroid problems are due to having Hashimoto's disease. Basically, it's an autoimmune condition where my body is attacking my thyroid. I've been feeling some "fullness" in my neck for some time. I thought for some reason my epiglottis was getting swollen. It's been my thyroid pushing on my windpipe and/or esophagus. I had an ultrasound this morning to see if it's just swollen or if anything else is up. I should find out the results on Monday, but I'm a little worried in the meantime. Hashimoto's can cause swelling, so it may just be that and the thyroid medicine should help it over time, or it could be nodules. I'm hoping for just swollen. I'm so thankful that Medi found the base thyroid issue so that I could have it treated!
I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's about 8 years ago, my sister was diagnosed about 25 years ago (she had a lot of swelling when it was discovered). It's a specific viariety of Hypothyroid, but neither my sister nor I have experienced anything other than some initial swelling until the meds kicked in, and the standard low thyroid symptoms.

Sending good thoughts your way that your results will be good, and the swelling is related to the disease and nothing more.
Divadeb is offline  
Old 10-18-2010, 10:19 AM   #243
Senior LCF Member
 
irabeslim's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 288
Gallery: irabeslim
Stats: 5'2" - 253/140/140
WOE: MWL
Start Date: January 21st, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divadeb View Post
Love all the great success stories!!! Honestly, reading everyone's great news and successes really, really helps me stay on track.

Weighed in last Friday and I was down a total of 12.2 pounds (oh, have to update my avatar!!!). Woot!

Funny, the clinic scale is actually a little lighter than my scale at home... never had that happen before, it's usually the opposite! But I like it that way - I weighed myself this morning and I'm down a little more. Looking forward to this week's weigh in.

I'm going to Las Vegas this weekend for a friend's surprise birthday party. I'm very excited for the trip, but definitely worried about the food intake. Since it's a party-weekend (and I'm not the party planner) my control over where we go will be limited. BUT, I'm going to bring plenty of medi supplies (bars, shakes and dressings) and do my best. I really don't want to lose any ground, so I'll be thrilled if I end up with a net zero weight change for those four days. And I'm prepared to go back to week one if need be. When it comes to weight, what happens in Vegas DOES NOT stay in Vegas!!! It follows you home on your butt!
I am going to Las Vegas this Sunday too for the 4 days to attend a conference. I am apprehensive about food choices there as you are. I have become really worried after this weekend of a "planned indulgency" at the wedding I attended. That "planned indulgency" became an "uncontrolled binge eating" that I am trying to undo right now. I will try to not have a repeat of that in Las Vegas. I will try to remember what you said (I love it) - "When it comes to weight, what happens in Vegas DOES NOT stay in Vegas!!! It follows you home on your butt!" LOL
__________________
Irina

"Nothing tastes better than thin feels"
-------------------
Was in wellness!
Restart on 04/05/11 to lose 15 gained lb
253/148/140
irabeslim is offline  
Old 10-18-2010, 01:21 PM   #244
Senior LCF Member
 
kelly4me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 167
Gallery: kelly4me
Stats: Lost 53 pounds 2010, Restart 2013
WOE: MWL in 2010, Low Carb 2013
Start Date: 8/27/2010, 10/22/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divadeb View Post
I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's about 8 years ago, my sister was diagnosed about 25 years ago (she had a lot of swelling when it was discovered). It's a specific viariety of Hypothyroid, but neither my sister nor I have experienced anything other than some initial swelling until the meds kicked in, and the standard low thyroid symptoms.

Sending good thoughts your way that your results will be good, and the swelling is related to the disease and nothing more.
Thanks so much, Deb. I got my lab results today and it is indeed just swelling - no growths or nodules, so hopefully it will be reduced as the medication continues to get into my system. I was very, very excited to receive that phone call.

I'm now about five pounds above my lowest post-college weight. I can't wait to lose them so that I can be at my lowest weight in twenty years. I am so darn excited about this!
kelly4me is offline  
Old 10-18-2010, 02:20 PM   #245
Senior LCF Member
 
lins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Missouri
Posts: 607
Gallery: lins
WOE: Medi-weightloss
Start Date: 1/12/14
I am so behind on all these posts. A quick update.....my daughters foot ended up getting bad again and they put her in the hospital....long story but she's fine now, and we are home. Due to all that my eating was in surivial mode and I didn't follow the plan much at all (although I did try to make good choices when I could). I went for my first maintance weigh-in today and was up 4lbs, BUT it's TOM and 3 of that was water, and 1 was muscle. My fat% stayed the same, and I am still healthy in all my numbers. So I am happy about that.

I also signed up for the princess half marathon in late Feb. No turning back now! But I am running 6-8 miles twice a week with one 3-4 mile run a week. So I feel like I am on track.
__________________
Lins
Starting weight 212lbs
lins is offline  
Old 10-18-2010, 07:25 PM   #246
Junior LCF Member
 
afunfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 36
Gallery: afunfish
Stats: 203/158/150 5"8
WOE: Medi - Acute Phase
Tomorrow will be 40 Days on Medi, I feel like I just joined yesterday. I am having some trouble, half of last week and this week, I have not been writing everything down and kicked myself out of Ketosis with to much tomato sauce I think and have not worked out at all. This morning I picked it back up thank goodness, wrote everything out, prepared meals for the week, which I also got lazy with, and did about a 2mile run, then walked the rest of the time for 30min total and ate like I did the first week. Hope you are all doing well
afunfish is offline  
Old 10-19-2010, 04:11 AM   #247
Senior LCF Member
 
AnnK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SC
Posts: 265
Gallery: AnnK
Stats: 5'2" 130/127/115
WOE: MediWeightLoss
Start Date: 7/19/10 and 8/27/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by afunfish View Post
Tomorrow will be 40 Days on Medi, I feel like I just joined yesterday. I am having some trouble, half of last week and this week, I have not been writing everything down and kicked myself out of Ketosis with to much tomato sauce I think and have not worked out at all. This morning I picked it back up thank goodness, wrote everything out, prepared meals for the week, which I also got lazy with, and did about a 2mile run, then walked the rest of the time for 30min total and ate like I did the first week. Hope you are all doing well
Way to get back in the saddle, funfish!!!! I totally understand ~ it's a daily push with me to get up, work out, plan my food & water intake, follow the plan... and write it all down. If I miss one day with anything, it just makes it harder the next day, so I keep pushing... .
AnnK is offline  
Old 10-19-2010, 06:18 AM   #248
Junior LCF Member
 
afunfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 36
Gallery: afunfish
Stats: 203/158/150 5"8
WOE: Medi - Acute Phase
Thank you Ann, I like hit a mental wall of rebellion lol. I'm fine now and pushing myself just focusing on my goals, hopefully I will totally snap out of it next weigh in.
afunfish is offline  
Old 10-19-2010, 08:30 AM   #249
Junior LCF Member
 
barrister7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 23
Gallery: barrister7
Stats: 5'7" -175/148/140
WOE: Medi Weight Loss
Start Date: August 18, 2010
Road Blocks!

I haven't posted in a while - don't you hate it when life gets in the way (well, mostly work, anyway)?? I've done pretty well - lost 25 pounds since mid-August. But, just like when I did WW a couple of years ago, I couldn't get past the 150 hump! I'm sort of stuck right in there - gaining a pound or two and losing a pound or two. When I went to Medi last Friday, they told me I wasn't eating enough protein. So now I'm eating more protein, but feeling like the calories are too much to lose anything. Has anyone else had this experience? I'm a vegetarian so I'd love to hear from everyone, the veg-heads in particular, about how you got over that hump and if you got the "you're not eating enough protein" talk from Medi. Happy Tuesday!
barrister7 is offline  
Old 10-19-2010, 08:33 AM   #250
Junior LCF Member
 
Divadeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: greater Boston
Posts: 43
Gallery: Divadeb
Stats: 213/192.6/150
WOE: Medi
Start Date: 9/29/10 restart 2/14/11
[QUOTE=kelly4me;14006826]I got my lab results today and it is indeed just swelling - no growths or nodules, so hopefully it will be reduced as the medication continues to get into my system. I was very, very excited to receive that phone call.QUOTE]

So glad to hear it!!! The unknown is pretty scary, and when they say Hashimoto's it sounds so ominous. If I hadn't already been familiar with it (b/c of my sister) I would have panicked, but my diagnosis didn't come as a surprise. If anything, I was surprised that they didn't find it earlier.

A couple of things I suggest you keep in mind, based on my personal experience:
1) It takes a couple of weeks for the medication to really work its way into your system, so be patient with it. If you've been feeling lethargic or tired, you will likely see a boost in your energy level.

2) You may want to request more specific testing and/or go to an endocrinologist. Many GPs are not well versed in all things thyroid, and the right combination of medication is important for you to get the maximum benefit. Most GPs will test your TSH level to determine if you're correctly medicated, but that's only one factor. I had my T4 and T3 level tested as well, and it turned out that my TSH was not the full story. In my particular case, I don't effectively convert T4 to T3, so my medication was too low. Here's a link to a very helpful brochure on Thyroid function testing. It explains it pretty well. http://www.thyroid.org/patients/broc...s_brochure.pdf

3) The inert ingredients of the medication can make a different in its effectiveness. Also, in the generic prescription brands the inert ingredients can change from refill to refill, even if you stay with the same manufacturer. The active ingredients are closely regulated, but the other stuff is really just filler. So drug companies are allowed to change up the recipe as the cost of different "fillers" fluxuate. And each time you have a different mix of ingredients, you are subject to an adjustment period all over again. I'm sure that for some it doesn't have any impact, but my sister had a very tough time of it until she researched and figured out that her medication was actually changing every few months. To avoid this, I always insist on the brand name Levoxyl. It may cost a little more, depending on your insurance, but personally I think it's worth it. You can always try the generic (they will give it to you automatically, unless you specifically request the brand name) and see how it goes. But if in a couple of months you notice a change after a refill, this could be why.

4) Lastly, your thyroid is a big part of your metabolism, and will effect and be effected by your weight. With Hashimoto's, your metabolism is slower than "normal"; it was a fundamental part of my weight gain. Also, your medication dosage is proportionate to your size, so as you lose weight, you will likely need to lower your dosage to prevent moving into hyperthyroidism. Be sure to get your levels checked regularly as you progress through your weight loss.

Hope this is helpful. Good luck!!!
Divadeb is offline  
Old 10-19-2010, 10:13 AM   #251
Senior LCF Member
 
kelly4me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 167
Gallery: kelly4me
Stats: Lost 53 pounds 2010, Restart 2013
WOE: MWL in 2010, Low Carb 2013
Start Date: 8/27/2010, 10/22/2013
[quote=Divadeb;14009297]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly4me View Post
I got my lab results today and it is indeed just swelling - no growths or nodules, so hopefully it will be reduced as the medication continues to get into my system. I was very, very excited to receive that phone call.QUOTE]

So glad to hear it!!! The unknown is pretty scary, and when they say Hashimoto's it sounds so ominous. If I hadn't already been familiar with it (b/c of my sister) I would have panicked, but my diagnosis didn't come as a surprise. If anything, I was surprised that they didn't find it earlier.

A couple of things I suggest you keep in mind, based on my personal experience:
1) It takes a couple of weeks for the medication to really work its way into your system, so be patient with it. If you've been feeling lethargic or tired, you will likely see a boost in your energy level.

2) You may want to request more specific testing and/or go to an endocrinologist. Many GPs are not well versed in all things thyroid, and the right combination of medication is important for you to get the maximum benefit. Most GPs will test your TSH level to determine if you're correctly medicated, but that's only one factor. I had my T4 and T3 level tested as well, and it turned out that my TSH was not the full story. In my particular case, I don't effectively convert T4 to T3, so my medication was too low. Here's a link to a very helpful brochure on Thyroid function testing. It explains it pretty well. http://www.thyroid.org/patients/broc...s_brochure.pdf

3) The inert ingredients of the medication can make a different in its effectiveness. Also, in the generic prescription brands the inert ingredients can change from refill to refill, even if you stay with the same manufacturer. The active ingredients are closely regulated, but the other stuff is really just filler. So drug companies are allowed to change up the recipe as the cost of different "fillers" fluxuate. And each time you have a different mix of ingredients, you are subject to an adjustment period all over again. I'm sure that for some it doesn't have any impact, but my sister had a very tough time of it until she researched and figured out that her medication was actually changing every few months. To avoid this, I always insist on the brand name Levoxyl. It may cost a little more, depending on your insurance, but personally I think it's worth it. You can always try the generic (they will give it to you automatically, unless you specifically request the brand name) and see how it goes. But if in a couple of months you notice a change after a refill, this could be why.

4) Lastly, your thyroid is a big part of your metabolism, and will effect and be effected by your weight. With Hashimoto's, your metabolism is slower than "normal"; it was a fundamental part of my weight gain. Also, your medication dosage is proportionate to your size, so as you lose weight, you will likely need to lower your dosage to prevent moving into hyperthyroidism. Be sure to get your levels checked regularly as you progress through your weight loss.

Hope this is helpful. Good luck!!!
Thanks so much for the great advice and thoughts. I'm going to send you a PM. ETA: I can't seem to PM you, maybe because of your post count?

Nutshell: I did make it to an endo and I love him. My original Dr. just handed me a prescription and sent me on my way. The new doctor is switching me to name brand in two weeks and did the additional tests including T3. He'll follow up with labs again in January to see how I'm converting and how my weight is doing with the current dose then.

I'm definitely feeling more perky. I took a long car ride this weekend and didn't fall asleep for the first time in years. LOL

I'll take a look at the brochure. Thanks so much!
__________________
Kelly

Working on low carb lifestyle changes. I did Medi in 2010. Using their ideas to make permanent life changes on my own.

First goal: -20
Currently: -6.4
10/29: -2.2
11/5: -4.2

Last edited by kelly4me; 10-19-2010 at 10:18 AM..
kelly4me is offline  
Old 10-19-2010, 11:10 AM   #252
Junior LCF Member
 
Divadeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: greater Boston
Posts: 43
Gallery: Divadeb
Stats: 213/192.6/150
WOE: Medi
Start Date: 9/29/10 restart 2/14/11
[quote=kelly4me;14009692]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divadeb View Post

My original Dr. just handed me a prescription and sent me on my way. The new doctor is switching me to name brand in two weeks and did the additional tests including T3. He'll follow up with labs again in January to see how I'm converting and how my weight is doing with the current dose then.

I'm definitely feeling more perky. I took a long car ride this weekend and didn't fall asleep for the first time in years. LOL

I'll take a look at the brochure. Thanks so much!
Happy to hear it, and happy to help!
Divadeb is offline  
Old 10-19-2010, 12:55 PM   #253
Senior LCF Member
 
Charlene4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 307
Gallery: Charlene4
Stats: 154.5/135/135
WOE: vegan/vegetarian
Start Date: June 7,2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrister7 View Post
I haven't posted in a while - don't you hate it when life gets in the way (well, mostly work, anyway)?? I've done pretty well - lost 25 pounds since mid-August. But, just like when I did WW a couple of years ago, I couldn't get past the 150 hump! I'm sort of stuck right in there - gaining a pound or two and losing a pound or two. When I went to Medi last Friday, they told me I wasn't eating enough protein. So now I'm eating more protein, but feeling like the calories are too much to lose anything. Has anyone else had this experience? I'm a vegetarian so I'd love to hear from everyone, the veg-heads in particular, about how you got over that hump and if you got the "you're not eating enough protein" talk from Medi. Happy Tuesday!

They tried to tell me that I wasn't eating enough protein a couple times when I had low loses (i veg also) but I KNEW that wasn't true. I was getting lots of protein. The real problem for me was that I wasn't eating enough calories and my body was going into survival mode. I would hold water and have little loses or gains. I was able to reach my goal easily and didn't really experience a true plateau. I am in maintanence now and have plateaued, so to speak. I work out 5-6 days a week and have a physically demanding job. I recently did week one for almost a week and lost a couple pounds....now on maintanence, I guess I'm not truly trying to maintain but instead, trying to slowly lose a little weight. I have not been able to accomplish this. My "stopping weight" is where I have always been....I guess it's my bodys comfortable weight or something because I always stick right around there...no matter how hard I work. As far as the clinic telling you that you aren't getting enough protein...I feel like part of that might be them just generalizing vegetarians as not getting enough proteins. A lot of people do this....unfortunately. Another part of it, I think, might be them just grabbing at straws to try to find an answer to why you're not losing weight. Honestly, that's how I would feel sometimes at my previous clinic (I have switched since joining)....like they didn't really have an answer for me. There was really only one girl there that gave me information that was more than what was in the handouts. I would suggest writing down the amount of protein grams in everything you are eating and show them. Also, if you are still on 500 calories and working out, maybe it would help to eat a little more or, as was mentioned on here awhile back, staggering calories to keep your body guessing. I don't know if that helps at all but that's my two cents.
__________________
Charlene

maintenance
Charlene4 is offline  
Old 10-19-2010, 05:41 PM   #254
Major LCF Poster!
 
Fit2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kansas
Posts: 2,592
Gallery: Fit2010
Stats: Ht 5'3" Wt 12/09=190;9/10=137;2/14=196.5
WOE: MediWeightLoss-like/Atkins-like
Start Date: 12-28-09; restart 02-07-14
avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by diertac View Post
Here, I rotated and cropped it for you. It's a bit "lossy" (lots of artifacting due to compression) but if you want to PM me the original I can probably crop it and make it a bit better.
diertac - Thanks so much for putting my head upright in your post!? I have had a lot going on this past 1 1/2 wks with family from out of state here, DD#2 visit also, grad school stuff, new students started today....I'll look for that again in a few wks and PM it to you. Wondering....I think you have to have over 50 posts to be able to PM don't you? I see you're in the 40's. Maybe I'm wrong.... Thanks so much for offering to help my dyslexic computer problem!
__________________
Debbie
May 2014 Up to 203 lbs
Current:197.3/196.5/196/195/194/193/192/191/190/189/188/187/186/185/184/183/182/181/180/179/178/177/176
Fit2010 is offline  
Old 10-19-2010, 06:54 PM   #255
Senior LCF Member
 
NOT2fat4fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: San Jose,CA
Posts: 342
Gallery: NOT2fat4fun
Stats: 190/178/145 again
WOE: Medi
Start Date: May 5, 2009
Hi All - I am back to acute phase again. I had slowly started gaining my weight back and now - a year past goal - I am closer to my start weight than my goal weight. Part of the reason I was successful was posting here - the reason I gained it back is because I abused my maintenance. I own it all for sure. I did try and catch myself but I didn't - and here I am again. So - lots of new faces and stories. I will tell you the program works for sure - I just needed to also deal with the reasons I was eating - and quitting on myself.
Hello to my maintaining friends - will see you in a few months : )
__________________
Macauley

You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it
NOT2fat4fun is offline  
Old 10-19-2010, 07:19 PM   #256
Junior LCF Member
 
loyemarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 35
Gallery: loyemarie
Stats: 5'7"~258/226.2/170
WOE: MWL
Start Date: September 8, 2010
Finished 6 weeks on Medi and have dropped 27.5 pounds! I am facing my first real challenge starting tomorrow as we will be going on a little anniversary local vacation to Disneyworld until Saturday. I think as long as I set the alarm on my phone so I don't forget my meds, I'll be alright

At least I KNOW I'll be getting a LOT of walking in!
loyemarie is offline  
Old 10-19-2010, 08:11 PM   #257
Major LCF Poster!
 
Fit2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kansas
Posts: 2,592
Gallery: Fit2010
Stats: Ht 5'3" Wt 12/09=190;9/10=137;2/14=196.5
WOE: MediWeightLoss-like/Atkins-like
Start Date: 12-28-09; restart 02-07-14
Congratulations loyemarie! Have fun too on your trip!

Macauley - It's good to hear from you. Are you exercising? I think that will make the difference for ME staying with goal weight. You are welcome to come to the Energy In/Energy Out thread if it will help to keep you accountable. That thread should really just be for quick posts of food in/exercise. Best to you!
Fit2010 is offline  
Old 10-20-2010, 08:41 AM   #258
Junior LCF Member
 
Divadeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: greater Boston
Posts: 43
Gallery: Divadeb
Stats: 213/192.6/150
WOE: Medi
Start Date: 9/29/10 restart 2/14/11
Just a couple of random thoughts...

I find it annoying that there are required numbers of posts to access certain features on this site, even more annoying that I'm learning about them piecemail through other's posts. I spend an inordinate amount of time trying to figure out how to add a signature, only to learn through searching message boards that it has a time and posting requirement. Same with messaging and blogging, and I'm sure some other things that I haven't figured out yet. It would be nice if there was better documentation on this... I totally get that they don't want a lot of "stuff" from people who aren't committed, but it doesn't have to be so hard!!!

On a high note, I really, really like my clinic. They call me mid-week to check in and see how I'm doing and ask if I have any questions. They also call to confirm my appointment the day before. There are only a handful of clinics in the greater Boston area, so this one is hopping. But I never feel rushed when I'm there and they are very efficient and professional. And almost everyone working there has been through the program. I've read some posts about some sketchy stuff, so it's really comforting to feel that they are invested in my success.
Divadeb is offline  
Old 10-20-2010, 09:03 AM   #259
Senior LCF Member
 
diertac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 91
Gallery: diertac
Stats: 196.6/167.2/155
WOE: MWL
Start Date: 09/21/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divadeb View Post
I find it annoying that there are required numbers of posts to access certain features on this site, even more annoying that I'm learning about them piecemail through other's posts. I spend an inordinate amount of time trying to figure out how to add a signature, only to learn through searching message boards that it has a time and posting requirement. Same with messaging and blogging, and I'm sure some other things that I haven't figured out yet. It would be nice if there was better documentation on this... I totally get that they don't want a lot of "stuff" from people who aren't committed, but it doesn't have to be so hard!!!
Divadeb, I find it annoying too! And I, like you, hunted around and around trying to figure out how to create a signature until I read in some other buried post on some other forum (using the forum search feature for "signature") that I wasn't allowed yet.

I, too, wish this were better documented. And 50 or 60 (I think it's 60 for signatures) posts is an awful lot of time to hinder someone from expressing themselves like one of the "regulars". 20 seems more reasonable to me.

And about the other part of your post, I think it's wonderful that your clinic engages you so much. Mine is hot and cold. Some days I feel like they just go through the motions when I visit. I see them greet some patients like old friends and feel left out, but then I chastise myself and remind myself that I'm probably not as chatty and friendly as those patients are.

Each week I get a different counselor through the rotation. This past week's counselor really seemed to care about what I was doing throughout the week. She was the first one to ask to see my journal even though I still lost 2.4 pounds so it's not like we were talking about stalling, etc. She asked the best questions, and has even convinced me to start eating more earlier in the day.

But then there are weeks when I get the jock who is more interested in joking around than giving me feedback. Or the chick who gives the shots and does the weighing just doesn't even make eye contact. It varies...
diertac is offline  
Old 10-20-2010, 09:24 AM   #260
Senior LCF Member
 
tydreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Kansas
Posts: 451
Gallery: tydreamer
WOE: Medi Weight Loss
Start Date: 2/10/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOT2fat4fun View Post
Hi All - I am back to acute phase again. I had slowly started gaining my weight back and now - a year past goal - I am closer to my start weight than my goal weight. Part of the reason I was successful was posting here - the reason I gained it back is because I abused my maintenance. I own it all for sure. I did try and catch myself but I didn't - and here I am again. So - lots of new faces and stories. I will tell you the program works for sure - I just needed to also deal with the reasons I was eating - and quitting on myself.
Hello to my maintaining friends - will see you in a few months : )
Hi Macauley. Sounds like you didn't really quit on yourself - just moved yourself to the back burner. Glad you're taking care of you, again! Looking forward to hearing from you again.
tydreamer is offline  
Old 10-20-2010, 06:56 PM   #261
Senior LCF Member
 
NOT2fat4fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: San Jose,CA
Posts: 342
Gallery: NOT2fat4fun
Stats: 190/178/145 again
WOE: Medi
Start Date: May 5, 2009
HI All - Need to post
Thanks Deb - I do exercise so that wasn't what threw me - it was really all about the carbs. The good thing is I have a new counselor at the clinic and she was super great. And congrats to you for a job well done! You look fabulous and I know you feel that way too!
Lea - you may be right about that - but that burner was pretty far back!
Had a good day - but I forgot about the headaches! Yikes!
NOT2fat4fun is offline  
Old 10-21-2010, 05:33 AM   #262
Senior LCF Member
 
lins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Missouri
Posts: 607
Gallery: lins
WOE: Medi-weightloss
Start Date: 1/12/14
For anyone who is interested if you click on my screen name, and the click on "Lins' homepage", it will take you to my blog where you can see before and after pictures of me. I put it on there to hopefully offer some encouragment to those who are struggling, and also for myself so that I can look at it any time I am struggling. I always found other people's story and pictures so inspirational. Because belive me if I can do it, so can you. God bless you all!
lins is offline  
Old 10-21-2010, 07:41 AM   #263
Junior LCF Member
 
frogquackers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Ocala FL
Posts: 50
Gallery: frogquackers
Stats: 231/205/160
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Sept. 30
Okay in today's week 3 weigh-in had me down 8 lbs but up .8 of fat. I am hoping this is do to being sick 12 of the last 21 days. I love coming here and seeing the positive and inspiring stories.
frogquackers is offline  
Old 10-21-2010, 07:49 AM   #264
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 68
Gallery: sally1
Stats: 254/207/175
WOE: medi
Start Date: June 2
Good Morning!

Hi Everyone!

I read daily and am thrilled with the results people are seeing. I'm happy with this life style...it works for me.

Lins- Pics look great. Keep up the good work.

I must admit...peanut butter is my favorite food. I try daily not to over induldge

I'm a bit anxious about the holidays and all that comes with them. I will be here more often for support.

S
sally1 is offline  
Old 10-21-2010, 08:55 AM   #265
Junior LCF Member
 
barrister7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 23
Gallery: barrister7
Stats: 5'7" -175/148/140
WOE: Medi Weight Loss
Start Date: August 18, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlene4 View Post
They tried to tell me that I wasn't eating enough protein a couple times when I had low loses (i veg also) but I KNEW that wasn't true. I was getting lots of protein. The real problem for me was that I wasn't eating enough calories and my body was going into survival mode. I would hold water and have little loses or gains. I was able to reach my goal easily and didn't really experience a true plateau. I am in maintanence now and have plateaued, so to speak. I work out 5-6 days a week and have a physically demanding job. I recently did week one for almost a week and lost a couple pounds....now on maintanence, I guess I'm not truly trying to maintain but instead, trying to slowly lose a little weight. I have not been able to accomplish this. My "stopping weight" is where I have always been....I guess it's my bodys comfortable weight or something because I always stick right around there...no matter how hard I work. As far as the clinic telling you that you aren't getting enough protein...I feel like part of that might be them just generalizing vegetarians as not getting enough proteins. A lot of people do this....unfortunately. Another part of it, I think, might be them just grabbing at straws to try to find an answer to why you're not losing weight. Honestly, that's how I would feel sometimes at my previous clinic (I have switched since joining)....like they didn't really have an answer for me. There was really only one girl there that gave me information that was more than what was in the handouts. I would suggest writing down the amount of protein grams in everything you are eating and show them. Also, if you are still on 500 calories and working out, maybe it would help to eat a little more or, as was mentioned on here awhile back, staggering calories to keep your body guessing. I don't know if that helps at all but that's my two cents.
Thanks Charlene! I was hoping I'd hear from you! I've been tracking everything I eat on All Things Food and Diet - ********* - great Blackberry app - and have been hitting between 100 and 125 grams of protein daily and staying under 45 g of carbs. They told me I need to get up to 150 g of protein and not count anything used to fuel my runs and work-outs. So instead of about 700-900 daily, I've been hitting about 1200 calories! Not sure that's working. About how grams of proteins are you doing daily? Thanks for your great advice, by the way!
barrister7 is offline  
Old 10-21-2010, 09:46 AM   #266
Senior LCF Member
 
AnnK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SC
Posts: 265
Gallery: AnnK
Stats: 5'2" 130/127/115
WOE: MediWeightLoss
Start Date: 7/19/10 and 8/27/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sally1 View Post
Hi Everyone!

I'm a bit anxious about the holidays and all that comes with them. I will be here more often for support.

S
You and me both, Sally!! But together, we can all do it
AnnK is offline  
Old 10-21-2010, 10:17 AM   #267
Senior LCF Member
 
Charlene4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 307
Gallery: Charlene4
Stats: 154.5/135/135
WOE: vegan/vegetarian
Start Date: June 7,2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrister7 View Post
Thanks Charlene! I was hoping I'd hear from you! I've been tracking everything I eat on All Things Food and Diet - ********* - great Blackberry app - and have been hitting between 100 and 125 grams of protein daily and staying under 45 g of carbs. They told me I need to get up to 150 g of protein and not count anything used to fuel my runs and work-outs. So instead of about 700-900 daily, I've been hitting about 1200 calories! Not sure that's working. About how grams of proteins are you doing daily? Thanks for your great advice, by the way!
Wow! I'm in maintanence now so I don't really track my protein. I still journal but I only count calories/fat/carbs now. when I was in acute I was eating 500-700 calories daily and I had to look back at my livestrong account to see what my protein was. It would vary between 52g (lowest) and 100ish (highest) daily. I was never actually told how many grams to take in daily but I remember when I showed them my journal they said I was doing fine, after a couple times of having the "protein discussion". So it looks like you're getting way more than me. Also, I was given a sheet on what to eat on days I worked out and actually told to work out less and that DID help my loss when I was in acute. My clinic at that time told me to eat a serving of fruit with a protein shake before working out (or something similar in value) and the same after working out. I usually work out after dinner so I would eat an acute style dinner, wait 30-45 minutes, work out and then have a small protein shake (80 calories) with blueberries about 45 minutes later. It seemed to work pretty well to me. Now, in maintanence, I eat around 1200-1500 daily and sometimes more on days I work out. My weight fluctuates by about 4 pounds up and down.
Charlene4 is offline  
Old 10-21-2010, 10:50 AM   #268
Major LCF Poster!
 
Mary T8M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Ft. Pierce, Florida
Posts: 1,406
Gallery: Mary T8M
Stats: 5'2" 228/144/125 good-bye 150's
WOE: LC/LF/LCal (medi)
Start Date: 4/23/10
Hi all, I'm back from this trip up to Jacksonville to be with DIL during chemo and to watch our 7 mo old grandson. I'm happy to report they are both doing well. Somehow I ended up gaining a couple of pounds (by my scale) I thought it was just water weight, b/c I wasn't drinking enough, but now that I'm home and back to drinking LOTS of water I see I'm still up! I missed Wednesdays weigh in and am just as glad I did. I'd hate to pay only to find out I'm UP a pound or two Bill didn't lose much last weigh in, and is having a lot of trouble sticking to the plan right now, so I made an executive decision and had him add a bit more FAT to his diet.....it has really helped. He lost more 4 pounds (by our scale) this week. The clinic had suggested he add more carbs for one day then go back on week 1 for 3 - 4 days.......he isn't hot on doing that, and a friend who had also done Medi said her clinic had suggested adding more fat for a few days when she hit a plateau, and it worked, so he tried it. He had been successful doing Atkins many years ago, so thought it was worth a go.
__________________


Mary T8M (Tatem)

New member of the 80 pounds gone club

Whether you think you can, or you can't, either way you're right!
Henry Ford
Mary T8M is offline  
Old 10-21-2010, 10:59 AM   #269
Major LCF Poster!
 
Mary T8M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Ft. Pierce, Florida
Posts: 1,406
Gallery: Mary T8M
Stats: 5'2" 228/144/125 good-bye 150's
WOE: LC/LF/LCal (medi)
Start Date: 4/23/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sally1 View Post
Hi Everyone!

I read daily and am thrilled with the results people are seeing. I'm happy with this life style...it works for me.

Lins- Pics look great. Keep up the good work.

I must admit...peanut butter is my favorite food. I try daily not to over induldge

I'm a bit anxious about the holidays and all that comes with them. I will be here more often for support.

S
I think we talked about peanut butter before! I too LOVE the stuff and really have to watch it. Seems I do OK if I avoid it all together, but once I have ANY I have a hard time stopping before I've eaten a bunch! :blush:

I'm not too anxious about the holidays......YET! I fixed a brined, then roasted turkey not too long ago as "practice" to see if I could handle the meal, and then left overs without all the carbs, and I'm happy to report I did quite well One of my favorite sandwiches has been cold leftover turkey with mayo, and bread and butter pickles. I was able to replicate the sandwich (minus the bread of course) pretty well. Also I remember I saw some holiday recipes on the recipe board a while back. I think PLANNING is the main thing that will help me make it through this time of year.
Mary T8M is offline  
Old 10-21-2010, 10:59 AM   #270
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 6
Gallery: tmah30
Stats: 152/152/125
WOE: Medi
Start Date: September 23,2010
I just came back from my 4th weigh in, i lost 1.4 lbs. Today is my 1 month mark and i have lost 15.6 lbs this month. I am pretty excited!
tmah30 is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:24 PM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.