Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2010, 06:58 PM   #181
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: msawhitt
Stats: 220/130/145
WOE: Medi
Start Date: August 11, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by diertac View Post

So last year I scanned in the "Boo" image... And this year, I decided that you know what? I don't want a bag o' candy on my doorstep, especially not while I'm doing Medi - so shhh... I pre-Boo'ed myself! I printed out a copy of that darned ghost and put him up in my door window!

(If any of my neighborhood acquaintances do Medi and check in here, I will no doubt out myself with this post. Oh well!)
I have never heard of this, but your story is hilarious : )

Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2010, 07:08 PM   #182
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jbiggars63
Stats: 493/192/193
Start Date: 1/23/2009
Quote:
That is fan-freaking-tastic! Congratulations on your six month maintenance, I know that for me that will likely be the hardest part.

If I may ask, how did you take up running? At what weight did you start, and how slowly did you start? I'm walking a half in October, because I am simply physically not cut out for running - at least, not now. And I haven't been, even at a size 10.

My chiropractor says weight loss will help a lot of my biomechanical issues (extreme overpronation and other things that lead to plantar fasciitis, achilles tendinitis and eventually knee pain in my case). But I'm wondering how light I should be before I start trying to run. Just the walking has caused me no end to issues (major achilles tendinitis in both ankles right now, fighting off PF).

I'm tired of saying I'm not "built to run" and I really want to. Did you experience any problems starting out?

Congrats again on your half. That's amazing!
I started by walking! Worked my way up to 3 miles in an hour, then in 45 minutes. Then started jogging for 1 mile. Slow but steady! Thanks!
Old 10-12-2010, 07:10 PM   #183
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fit2010 View Post
Hi Jerry!
Did you see our photos in the newspaper website? You are in about 3 times doing the 1/2 marathon and I'm in once with my group of 3 other friends after our 5K! It was such a beautiful morning for a run!!
Debbie
It was a beautiful day! Yes, saw the pics today! Only saw 2 though!
Old 10-13-2010, 06:03 AM   #184
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SDC2
Stats: 5' 7.5" 218/150/155 Maintenance
WOE: Medi-Weightloss
Start Date: November 20, 2008
Jerry and Deb, great job with your half marathon/5k! You both are doing wonderful and are very inspiring.

diertac, they do the boo thing in my neighborhood. Great idea to boo yourself. As soon as I see the boo's start in our neighborhood I am going to do the same.

It is day 5 with our new puppy, Annie. Yesterday she had more successes than accidents, if you know what I mean. Yeah!!!
Old 10-13-2010, 06:41 AM   #185
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: YankeeMom27
Stats: 181/156.8/145
WOE: Medi WeightLoss
Start Date: restart 03/29/13
Quote:
Does anyone live in a neighborhood that "Boos"? By "Boo-ing", I mean it's this tradition that exists in my neighborhood whereby starting in October, someone rings on your doorbell and leaves you a treat basket. (And by "treats" of course, I mean sugar bombs - candies, etc.) Included in the basket is a "Boo" ghost with instructions to make 2 copies, put the original in your door window, and then ring-&-run 2 other neighbors with similar treat filled baskets and their own "boo" ghost.

I must confess, I am a terrible neighbor. Oh, I'm great with yard upkeep, and making our house look nice and waving or saying hi to people, but I don't attend our neighborhood socials, I don't stop and give money to the kids selling lemonade on the corner (EVERY SINGLE WEEKEND) and I hate boo'ing! Last year I hated it because I didn't have the time, as I work long hours and my husband sure isn't going to go out and buy the "boo" stuff.

Oh, and I hate ring & run stuff. Always have. I'm the nerd who INVARIABLY gets caught anyway.

So last year I scanned in the "Boo" image... And this year, I decided that you know what? I don't want a bag o' candy on my doorstep, especially not while I'm doing Medi - so shhh... I pre-Boo'ed myself! I printed out a copy of that darned ghost and put him up in my door window!

(If any of my neighborhood acquaintances do Medi and check in here, I will no doubt out myself with this post. Oh well!)
My daughter just told me about this today when I was taking her to school- never heard of it before. Up north, we have Mischief Night, but no one here in Florida seems to know what that is...which is a good thing!!
Old 10-13-2010, 11:12 AM   #186
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lins
WOE: Medi-weightloss
Start Date: 1/12/14
They do "Boo" in my area (central Florida), but I haven't seen anything in my neighborhood yet, we just moved in March (it's a brand new development). I am hoping they don't do it.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:43 AM   #187
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Divadeb
Stats: 213/192.6/150
Start Date: 9/29/10 restart 2/14/11
Wow, what great stories for me to catch up on today! Each of you is so inspiring, and it's so, so helpful to see how successful you are when you stick to the program.

Like others on here (most everyone?!) I've tried other diets only to gain the weight right back after I took my eye off the ball. I'm only on day 15, but this really does feel like a lifestyle change already. And oddly enough, while my scale is showing about 11 pounds (official weigh in is Friday) it feels like a lot more weight than that is gone. I'm attributing it to all the protein and the conversion of fat to muscle - my body definitely feels smaller than the scale is reflecting. I noticed my shadow today, and I would swear that I saw a little bit of a waist!!! Haven't had one of those in a long time!

Keep up the great work everyone, and thanks for continuing to motivate and inspire us newbies!!!
Old 10-13-2010, 12:52 PM   #188
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Not Giselle
Stats: 5'8", 187/145/145
WOE: Medi Weight Loss
Start Date: 7/27/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2princesses View Post
Hey everyone! Feel like there was so much to catch up on...I need to go back and re-read them all again!

Today is 5 months exactly from my Day 1 of Week 1 - and at today's weigh in I was down 79.2 lbs total (2.2 for this week). I am about 20 lbs from goal, and 1 pant size to go.

For those of you recently starting this journey - please believe me (and the others) when we say this way of eating and more importantly, way of life, truly does work. I can't believe how much I have changed in a mere 5 months, and it goes way beyond my actual weight. I truly am in a "happier" place right now, and I love it.

The changes go well beyond the # on the scale, and here are a few that I've really been thinking about.

This past weekend we had my daughters 5th bday party for her friends at an indoor soccer facility - I ran around with a dozen 5 yr olds for an hour, and thought nothing of it. 5 months ago, I would've sat out....knowing it disappointed my daugher, but that would have been my only option.

My 2 yr old does a Mommy & Me gymnastics class - we start out running laps around the gym to warm up, then do a series of stretches. I do the entire warm-up with her...before, we probably would've quit the class.

Sitting with your legs crossed is SUPER comfortable (when there's not extra thigh fat getting in the way!).

I look forward to my daily walk - and to see how much I will jog of it that day - and I actually am disappointed if I can't go.

Shopping is so fun! Getting dressed every morning is quick & easy - its not trying on many different things trying to find what hides the most!

Going to baseball games/football games/theatres isn't uncomfortable - my butt & thighs fit comfortably in all the seats, with even enough room to cross and uncross my legs!

It amazes me what 5 months have done - my ultimate goal still remains to be in transition by my birthday (Dec. 24th). Even though originally I wanted to be in the 160's, now I'm hoping to be out of them just so I can say I've lost 100 lbs! Thank you all for the support on this board!
CONGRATS. Wow, you've come a long way in 5 months. This is so motivating. I want to be in maintenance by my birthday in December. I have ABOUT 10.5 more pounds to go (I set a "goal" but I feel like I will know for sure if that is the right number when I get there, if that makes sense)....but I know the last 10 pounds are the hardest, so I'm not going to just assume I can reach it by then.

You ALL are such an inspiration. I wish that I had time to check in here more. By the time I can log in, I'm so far behind that there's no way I can comment on all the things that have been said. Stupid work!

Jerry, great job on the run. Like diertac, I totally don't think I have a runner's body. I have never been able to run, and running doesn't appeal to me at ALL. It's good to know that you can start slow and steady and work up to a half marathon.

They do the Boo thing here. What a great idea to already look like you've been booed. I love it!

What a sweet, sweet puppy Susie. My only child is 3 and has been out out diapers for about a year. I don't think I'd want to get back on the "potty train" bandwagon again, even with a pup!!!
Old 10-13-2010, 05:46 PM   #189
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mary T8M
Stats: 5'2" 228/144/125 good-bye 150's
WOE: LC/LF/LCal (medi)
Start Date: 4/23/10
I've been MIA after we got back from Jacksonville on Saturday.......but I have to report that even tho I forgot ALL of the Medi meds, I must have done OK, because I lost another 2 pounds when I weighed in today! We had eaten out several times, even at a buffet place! I have SO much more confidence in myself to make good (or at least better) choices, so now I'm no longer terrified of going out to eat!
We leave again for Jacksonville tomorrow, to house and pet sit for DD while she and her SO go on a long weekend trip for her 30th B-Day. We'll also be there for DIL to start her next round of Chemo.
DH was NOT as happy as I was at the weigh in today. He seems to be stuck on a plateau, so the clinic suggested he have a higher carb day today followed by 3 -4 days of protein only. I'm hoping that will be easier since we'll be away from home, and probably won't eat out as much as we did last week. I really don't have as much trouble as he does staying away from veggies...........go figure

I think I've caught up on all the "news" on the boards, and it sounds like everyone is doing well! Never heard of the BOO thing!

Mary T8M (Tatem)

New member of the 80 pounds gone club

Whether you think you can, or you can't, either way you're right!
Henry Ford

Last edited by Mary T8M; 10-13-2010 at 05:47 PM..
Old 10-13-2010, 06:09 PM   #190
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Fit2010
Stats: Ht 5'3" Wt 12/09=190;9/10=137;2/14=196.5
WOE: MediWeightLoss-like/Atkins-like
Start Date: 12-28-09; restart 02-07-14
Mary - Congratulations on losing while away, and without your meds! Sometimes we just need to know how strong we've become in order to determine to push onward some more! (Such as happened with me and exercise...just never knew I could jog at all, let alone for over 11 minutes, then next time I knew I could go that far so that was the new base level....etc). Congratulations again!
Old 10-13-2010, 07:00 PM   #191
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: msawhitt
Stats: 220/130/145
Start Date: August 11, 2010
Medi appointment today= last week in acute, woot! Next Wednesday, I will officially be i transition! I am only 13 pounds from my goal weight, and could not be more excited!!

Aside from that, my day has been a nightmare and I am ready for bed : ) Catch up with you guys later!!
Old 10-13-2010, 08:02 PM   #192
Senior LCF Member

WTG everyone! Running isn't for everyone! Just find something you like to do (walking, biking, hiking, swimming, golf, whatever) because if you like it, you will tend to continue doing it all the time!

Check out my latest blog posting to see what goes through the mind of a first time half marathon runner!

Old 10-14-2010, 12:14 AM   #193
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Desert-Rose7
Stats: 5'11"/262/150/150
WOE: MediWeightLoss
Start Date: 12/19/08 in Wellness since 09/03/2009
WTG Jerry! I am heading for the half marathon and think I can do it in style...walking. Cannot jog or run much anymore due to some serious knee and ankle past injuries. BUT!!! I can and do walk a 9 minute mile. Did a 5K this weekend and finished in 28.2 minutes...ahead of a lot of the runners!! I guess that is power walking at its best! On a daily basis I really slow it down going for stamina and endurance, but can turn it on when I want to!

Jo
Old 10-14-2010, 04:26 AM   #194
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnK
Stats: 5'2" 133/133/115
Start Date: 7/22/14
Good Morning Everyone!! I love hearing how well you maintenance and near maintenance people are doing... especially in the "self-confidence about making smart food choices" area. Mary ~ that's absolutley fabulous, and so heartening that you succeeded "on your own" while away! You all give me great hope, as I will be transitioning too, either this week (weigh in today) or soon (if I chicken out today ).
Thanks to everybody for your kind support and wisdom.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:45 AM   #195
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: afunfish
Stats: 225/207/165 5"8
WOE: Medi - Acute Phase
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeMom27 View Post
My daughter just told me about this today when I was taking her to school- never heard of it before. Up north, we have Mischief Night, but no one here in Florida seems to know what that is...which is a good thing!!
It figures Florida as a fun tradition like booing and up here we have mischief night. I see moving to florida in my future, I need more access to disney anyway lol.

All the board talk about the 5k and half marathons are really inspiring to do more running.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:47 AM   #196
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nick80
Stats: 6ft 249/175/180
WOE: Mediweight- maintenance
Start Date: October 1, 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert-Rose7 View Post
WTG Jerry! I am heading for the half marathon and think I can do it in style...walking. Cannot jog or run much anymore due to some serious knee and ankle past injuries. BUT!!! I can and do walk a 9 minute mile. Did a 5K this weekend and finished in 28.2 minutes...ahead of a lot of the runners!! I guess that is power walking at its best! On a daily basis I really slow it down going for stamina and endurance, but can turn it on when I want to!

Jo
Jo, Jerry
I am very impressed I have to say! That is excellent, on both your parts!!

I have been running now for a few months and am enjoying it. I think Jerry is inspiring me to run a half marathon. The thought of it makes me nervous but I see no reason to try.

Thanks to both for the inspiration!

Nick
Old 10-14-2010, 01:17 PM   #197
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Desert-Rose7
Stats: 5'11"/262/150/150
Start Date: 12/19/08 in Wellness since 09/03/2009
Nick, you CAN do it. If I can walk it, you can run it! 13 miles is a little scary....but I walk 4-6 miles a day..that is 28-42 miles a week...that 13 miles is only a couple of days walks in my book!

Jo
Old 10-14-2010, 02:08 PM   #198
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnK
Stats: 5'2" 133/133/115
Start Date: 7/22/14
Okay, I had my weigh-in today, and after less than three months, I've MET MY GOAL... 120 today!! This is truly amazing to me ~ I'm 57 and have been uncomfortably "chubby" (okay, FAT - I'm short) for probably 20 years. Now I believe I'm healthier than I've been in at LEAST 20 years. Exercise is no longer torture, it's a pleasant part of my day. I'm going to have to keep working hard to make my view of food "objective" as opposed to "subjective." The dietician at the clinic reviewed with me my next plan: 800 calories to include 1 starch (15 carbs)/day & gave me a good chart of acceptable options. Wish me luck this week!
For any doubting newbies out there ~ it's true, if you want this program to succeed for you, YOU will succeed and feel wonderful!
Old 10-14-2010, 03:51 PM   #199
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mommy2princesses
Stats: Ht 5'7'' 259.6/156/165
Start Date: May 11, 2010
Jo - 9 min walking mile???? Wow, that is extremely impressive! Good for you!

Ann - congrats!!! You must be so excited to be at goal weight!

Since we're all talking about running...I'll share my good news from today...I jogged 1 entire mile! I have slowly been working up to this (literally, 1 telephone pole at a time - each day to every 2 days I try to go one telephone pole further). I was doing .8 miles earlier this week, and today just decided to go for it (I had figured out with my car earlier today what the 1 mile mark was)....and I did it!

I've been walking anywhere from 5-8 miles a day and had attempted to keep alternating walking with jogging...but I hated it. So after talking to my brother who is extremely knowledgeable about all things health & fitness - he suggested I just try to walk for about 5 minutes as a warm up and start running at the same spot each time I go and just try to go further every day and when the run was done, the rest was a walk. It works much better for me.

Lins & Debbie - you both amaze me so much at how far you can run now, I remember you both starting out trying to run for 1 or 2 minutes at a time. Inspiring!!!

Over 100lbs. GONE FOREVER
Thanks to MWL!
8 months to Wellness....5/11/10 - 1/11/11

Last edited by mommy2princesses; 10-14-2010 at 03:53 PM..
Old 10-14-2010, 04:15 PM   #200
Senior LCF Member

Congrats Ann and Keri! It is always a good plan to start slow and steady! Awesome!
Old 10-14-2010, 05:19 PM   #201
Major LCF Poster!

Keri - You didn't mention that in your 5 to 8 miles daily, with the first mile being jogging, you are pushing a stroller with a toddler in it! Are you still doing that? You are getting such an awesome workout, girlfriend! Don't you doubt it. And, as your endurance gets better your toddler gets heavier (because she's growing) and you are further adding to your endurance!

Ann - Congratulations on reaching your goal. I'm not even a handful of years younger than you and I've put up with this weight for 20 years too, and I'm now at my healthiest in the past 22 years fitness-wise. Look what we can do!! I know what you mean about feeling great! BTW, how tall are you?
Old 10-14-2010, 05:21 PM   #202
Major LCF Poster!

Weight at home this AM is 139....I'm not going to stress about it but would like to lose about 6 more lbs....Lea is my inspiration....plus I'll have a wedding to go to in about a year....DD#1! It's so awesome to not feel like I have to lose 50!!!!!
Old 10-14-2010, 05:31 PM   #203
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mommy2princesses
Stats: Ht 5'7'' 259.6/156/165
Start Date: May 11, 2010
Quote:
Weight at home this AM is 139....I'm not going to stress about it but would like to lose about 6 more lbs....Lea is my inspiration....plus I'll have a wedding to go to in about a year....DD#1! It's so awesome to not feel like I have to lose 50!!!!!
Congrats to your daughter on the upcoming wedding! Is this a recent engagment???? I love not feeling like I have to "lose weight" when there are events coming up - for years the night before Thanksgiving my husband gets together with a bunch of high school friends for a few drinks, and for the last probably 5 years (when DD#1 was born, I started using her for my excuse!) I didn't go. I told him this year, we're both going...because I want to show off!

And yes - you're right - those 5-8 miles are done pushing a 2 yr old in a jogging stroller! Odd thing though, I can run further when pushing her - I think I tend to go a bit slower which allows to me to go a longer distance!
Old 10-14-2010, 05:48 PM   #204
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Keri! Yes, she called me Monday saying she was just asked that day! Not a surprise to us, he asked DH permission in August. When she was a 3 year old and DD#2 an infant I'd have them both in a stroller and roller blade pushing them--but we lived in southern CA at the time, 70 to 85 degrees! When DD#2 got to be about 3 1/2 she refused to let me push her in the stroller anymore....I depended on that stability when I roller bladed!! Get in shape now and keep your endurance up....once they get older it's a great plan to keep time for yourself and not let all your energy and time go to sitting on a bleacher eating concession food! (Like I did!) Go to the games yes, but maybe plan on walking up and down the stadium stairs at some point or something productive!

Last edited by Fit2010; 10-14-2010 at 05:49 PM..
Old 10-14-2010, 06:10 PM   #205
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: melody7287
Stats: 203/157/135
Start Date: October 2010
First weigh in today... - 7lbs! A little dissapointed, but hey! That's 7lbs gone forever!

1-7
Old 10-14-2010, 06:39 PM   #206
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kelly4me
Stats: Lost 53 pounds 2010, Restart 2013
WOE: MWL in 2010, Low Carb 2013
Start Date: 8/27/2010, 10/22/2013
Melody - 7 is a great start! Just remember that with any other diet you'd likely be absolutely thrilled with that result!
Old 10-14-2010, 06:50 PM   #207
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: irabeslim
Stats: 5'2" - 253/140/140
WOE: MWL
Start Date: January 21st, 2010
Quote:
Debbie, I am in transition and my weight is different every day (weighing myself every morning at the same time) - it is every number between 139 and 142 - I don't know if it is normal. It is pretty upsetting.

Keri, around 90 lb weight loss, inspired by Debbie and lins I started jogging/running. I never ever attepmted that even during previous substantial weight loss periods. I followed coach to 5K program and to my complete astonishment, I now jog 45 min non-stop (more than 4.5 miles) and it is not diffucult! But to be honest, I still enjoy walking more than jogging because you can carry a conversation (with my husband).

So keep jogging - you will get there in no time.

"Nothing tastes better than thin feels"
-------------------
Was in wellness!
Restart on 04/05/11 to lose 15 gained lb
253/148/140
Old 10-14-2010, 06:57 PM   #208
Senior LCF Member

Hey everyone! I had my weigh-in today - down 3.1, but 3.6 in fat. I'm sort of curious about water vs. fat for most people. So far, I've lost 22.1 pounds of fat, 3.7 pounds of water, and another 1.3 pounds of fat free mass. That seems like very little water to me. Is that similar to others? I have a really hard time figuring out the whole body composition thing.

I find it odd that my fat free mass (105 lbs) is identical to my friends when I'm 5'2" and she's 5'8". Do I just have heavy guts? I'm not all that muscular. If I calculate my weight based on the recommendation of 23% fat - I'd get down to 136 pounds - which is high for my height. Basically, if that calculation is accurate (the one at the bottom of my Medi receipt) - I'd never be able to get down past the absolute highest gov't recommended weight for my height. The high end of the range on my ticket would equate to 159 pounds, which is 1 pound short of obese for my height. Weird!! Does anyone else have numbers that don't seem to work out like this?

Aside from being confused by the numbers, I'm really pleased with my progress so far. I'm really hoping to hit the 30 pound mark next week.

I got my cholesterol numbers today from my thyroid doctor. They're the best that they've ever been - 182 total, and triglycerides down to 70. Lovin' it!!

Working on low carb lifestyle changes. I did Medi in 2010. Using their ideas to make permanent life changes on my own.

First goal: -20
Currently: -6.4
10/29: -2.2
11/5: -4.2
Old 10-14-2010, 07:00 PM   #209
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: irabeslim
Stats: 5'2" - 253/140/140
WOE: MWL
Start Date: January 21st, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnK View Post
Okay, I had my weigh-in today, and after less than three months, I've MET MY GOAL... 120 today!! This is truly amazing to me ~ I'm 57 and have been uncomfortably "chubby" (okay, FAT - I'm short) for probably 20 years. Now I believe I'm healthier than I've been in at LEAST 20 years. Exercise is no longer torture, it's a pleasant part of my day. I'm going to have to keep working hard to make my view of food "objective" as opposed to "subjective." The dietician at the clinic reviewed with me my next plan: 800 calories to include 1 starch (15 carbs)/day & gave me a good chart of acceptable options. Wish me luck this week!
For any doubting newbies out there ~ it's true, if you want this program to succeed for you, YOU will succeed and feel wonderful!
Congratulations, Ann, for reaching your goal! It is a challenge for everyone regadless of how much weight one needs to lose. You must look very slender if you weigh just 120 lb. In any event, good luck for your transition.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:02 PM   #210
Senior LCF Member

Congrats on your success Ann! I can't wait to not feel "chubby"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnK View Post
Closed Thread