Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2010, 06:13 PM   #301
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tydreamer
WOE: Medi Weight Loss
Start Date: 2/10/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOT2fat4fun View Post
Hey Lea - that is a hard time of day for me too. I was never a night eater until my guy went to work out of town for eight months. Then I just got bored of myself and ate ...
I have been doing some reading about the addictive nature of carbs and the release of dopamine. THE FOOD MAKES YOU FEEL GOOD FOR SURE.
Really - my humble opinion is you are going to have to find something to keep yourself busy during that time, find a few things that you CAN eat during that time of day that help satisfy you and just go do something else so you can't think about eating. I know it's easy to say. But you have to replace habitual eating with something else that nurtures you...
You have had a great weight loss. Doesn't it feel amazing?
The weight loss does feel great. It does. And sometimes I go to the DAV or Goodwill during that crazy time and end up spending $10 on some great new clothes in much smaller sizes instead of being home, eating. My workout time is usually about 12:30 or so and the crazy hours start after that. And I do notice that if I'm busy during that time - I not only don't eat, but I don't even think about it. It's not true hunger. It's wanting to stuff my face. But why? I don't really know. I love days when I'm busy during that time because my calorie total for the day is always VERY low. I really don't have those crazy times at nite. I love what you said about replacing my habitual eating during that time with something else that nurtures me. I'm going to think long and hard about that because that is EXACTLY the answer. I just wish I knew what that nurturing activity was. Any ideas???

Macauley, you are so strong. You're going to lose this weight and keep it off. I know you will.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2010, 06:19 PM   #302
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary T8M View Post
I'm with you on this!

I don't think I'm addicted to anything in particular (even carbs in general) I just have some HUGE issues with portion control. When something tastes good (and that's just about everything) I want more! I don't want to be deprived! I know variety is NOT my friend! I'm always afraid I'll miss something. I do much better ordering the same thing at a restaurant, or fixing the same thing over and over at home.
While I love sweets, I'm not addicted to anything in particular either. One day it's sunflower seeds. Another it's chips. Another it's cookies. Twizzlers. Cupcakes. Almonds. Cheese. It doesn't really matter - I just like the way it tastes and want more and more and more. I don't want to miss anything either!

When I'm really doing well, I have basically the same things over and over too. And if I stick with that, I feel in control, either lose more weight or maintain easily and feel really good about myself. And while those crazy moments where we eat the chicken wings seem to be great at the time, but then we want a do-over that we can't have and wonder why the heck we thought they would be worth it.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:42 PM   #303
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lins
WOE: Medi-weightloss
Start Date: 1/12/14
My sister-n-law started going to OA several years ago and lost lots of weight and has kept it off ever since. She still talks to her "buddy" once a week (originally it was once a day). She kids of follows a Medi type "diet".....no white foods, very little processed foods. Low fat dairy, lean meats etc.... It has worked for her for many years now.

Now I feel like I should talk to her more about the program. I too have a problem with addiction. I go along fine day to day, but if I let myself slip once and I start to slide. It's so frustrating. I would love to break the cycle.

On a side note. As of this morning I was back down the 4lbs that I was up on Monday. I know it was water weight due to TOM but it's still relieving to see 130 on the scale again this morning.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:07 PM   #304
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lins View Post
Now I feel like I should talk to her more about the program. I too have a problem with addiction. I go along fine day to day, but if I let myself slip once and I start to slide. It's so frustrating. I would love to break the cycle.
I think we're on to something here. I really am going to look this up again and dig out my materials.

Congrats, Lins, on being back down on the scale!
Old 10-22-2010, 07:32 PM   #305
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Fit2010
Stats: Ht 5'3" Wt 12/09=190;9/10=137;2/14=196.5
WOE: MediWeightLoss-like/Atkins-like
Start Date: 12-28-09; restart 02-07-14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tydreamer View Post
I love what you said about replacing my habitual eating during that time with something else that nurtures me. I'm going to think long and hard about that because that is EXACTLY the answer. I just wish I knew what that nurturing activity was. Any ideas???
Lea - You can CALL me!! I'm available Mon, Thur, Fri after 12N, and on Tues and Thurs after 2:30pm!! I'd love it! Perhaps we could even chat as we walk on our treadmills....cuz I'm getting out of the discipline of going outdoors in the AM when it's less than 55 degrees, and then truthfully, I forget about exercising if I haven't done it my noon. About the OA stuff...if you're serious about going to a meeting, I'd go with you to try it. I went in CA a couple times way back in the 1980's. You wouldn't want to show up being at goal weight without a friend, trust me. That's about the time I went and it didn't help me. But I also went alone. We could try putting together some kind of "study" here I guess. What do you think of that? Only thing is most of my stuff is from Scripture (the Bible). And I don't want to seem legalistic, because it's not about us obeying rules, but about us being surrendered to His plan for nurturing us, using us. Part of my problem is, like all of us, I live in this society of carb intoxication and "I want what I want" thinking. Most 12 step programs are based on the premise that I am powerless to change myself and admitting that there is a supreme creator. I'm there already. So, interested in having me (or someone) look into paraphrasing a 12 step program for us to be maintainers successfully? And give me a call, you've got the number, right?!

BTW - L-o-v-e-l-y avatar Lea!

Last edited by Fit2010; 10-22-2010 at 07:33 PM..
Old 10-22-2010, 07:41 PM   #306
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fit2010 View Post
Lea - You can CALL me!! I'm available Mon, Thur, Fri after 12N, and on Tues and Thurs after 2:30pm!! I'd love it! Perhaps we could even chat as we walk on our treadmills....cuz I'm getting out of the discipline of going outdoors in the AM when it's less than 55 degrees, and then truthfully, I forget about exercising if I haven't done it my noon. About the OA stuff...if you're serious about going to a meeting, I'd go with you to try it. I went in CA a couple times way back in the 1980's. You wouldn't want to show up being at goal weight without a friend, trust me. That's about the time I went and it didn't help me. But I also went alone. We could try putting together some kind of "study" here I guess. What do you think of that? Only thing is most of my stuff is from Scripture (the Bible). And I don't want to seem legalistic, because it's not about us obeying rules, but about us being surrendered to His plan for nurturing us, using us. Part of my problem is, like all of us, I live in this society of carb intoxication and "I want what I want" thinking. Most 12 step programs are based on the premise that I am powerless to change myself and admitting that there is a supreme creator. I'm there already. So, interested in having me (or someone) look into paraphrasing a 12 step program for us to be maintainers successfully? And give me a call, you've got the number, right?!

BTW - L-o-v-e-l-y avatar Lea!
I had to change my picture. I've posted so much tonite I was sick of looking at myself!!

My newest diagnosis is cold urticaria (sp?) and truly cannot handle the cold any more. About 50 degrees or so outside causes me to welt and hive and itch like crazy. It used to just be what was exposed (hands, face, etc.) but now it's pretty much everywhere. It's just nuts. Also, I guess it isn't just the cold, but the sudden change. Anyway, I won't be heading outside for any jogging either. I'll be on the treadmill. Or the exercise bike.

I'm not much of a phone talker but perhaps I should try that as a form of therapy one or two days a week!
Old 10-22-2010, 07:52 PM   #307
Major LCF Poster!

Good grief, girl! Cold urticaria too? No wonder you want to nurture yourself...your body is rebelling and you feel powerless to make it happy, except by eating; then it rewards you with weight and guilt and itching! Perhaps you should see my wonderful allergist that I can no longer see per insurance gatekeeper, but he's wonderful. PM if you'd like more info...

And I know what you mean...I'm smeared all over this LCF board in the past couple days since my parents left....we're calling out for HELP aren't we??
Old 10-23-2010, 03:35 AM   #308
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnK
Stats: 5'2" 133/133/115
WOE: MediWeightLoss
Start Date: 7/22/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fit2010 View Post
Good grief, girl! Cold urticaria too? No wonder you want to nurture yourself...your body is rebelling and you feel powerless to make it happy, except by eating; then it rewards you with weight and guilt and itching! Perhaps you should see my wonderful allergist that I can no longer see per insurance gatekeeper, but he's wonderful. PM if you'd like more info...

And I know what you mean...I'm smeared all over this LCF board in the past couple days since my parents left....we're calling out for HELP aren't we??
Good Morning! All this talk about food addiction has me thinking... now that I'm transitioning, it's becoming apparent that certain foods (silly things, like those darn cocoa almonds or peanut butter) call me to them during my "down" times (from about 2pm til dinner) WHEN I'm not involved with activities that take my mind off of them. My mother used to talk about her having a food addiction, and I didn't take her seriously. And I drank <beer... lots of it> for years, which I stopped cold when I started Medi. Okay, I was a counselor for years, and should recognize these things in myself, but only now, with your help, Lea, Deb, and others... does it really come together in my head. Food IS a form of self nurturing. The trick is balancing it with nurturing NON-food activities that make one feel great and live longer. One thing I like to do during those deadly afternoon hours is listen to downloadable books on my iPod while I run around doing housework, fixing dinner, running the dogs, maybe a little treadmill. If I'm in the house, I have to remove my mind from the pantry . Happy Saturday to all ~
Old 10-23-2010, 05:35 AM   #309
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: irabeslim
Stats: 5'2" - 253/140/140
WOE: MWL
Start Date: January 21st, 2010
Ann, you said "Food IS a form of self nurturing". You are right. My worst times are nights. I exercise from 7p.m.-9p.m because I work from 9 to 5. and from 10 to midnight is my worst time foodwise. While pushing myself in the gym all I think about that when I get home I will reward myself with some "sweet" stuff (it is usually all Medi-friendly stuff). Looks like it is a bad way of thinking about food being a "reward". I do get very hungry after the workout since I eat dinner before 6. What happens is more times than not, I get home and I eat planned amount and then I cannot stop and its more Medi-friendly stuff, lots more and sometimes it is not too friendly Medi stuff. All these extra calories are consumed at the worst time but this is the time I want them. Of course, I know that food should not be thought about as a reward but I am so hard-wired that it is impossible to break it. I think this is where my struggles with transition come from. I am trying to not have anything to do in the kitchen at night (purposely preparing lunch for my husband for the next day before my gym), distract myself with phone calls, reading this board, but it does not always work - I feel like some invisible forces are pulling me to the direction of the kitchen...

"Nothing tastes better than thin feels"
-------------------
Was in wellness!
Restart on 04/05/11 to lose 15 gained lb
253/148/140
Old 10-23-2010, 07:29 AM   #310
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mary T8M
Stats: 5'2" 228/144/125 good-bye 150's
WOE: LC/LF/LCal (medi)
Start Date: 4/23/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnK View Post
Good Morning! All this talk about food addiction has me thinking... now that I'm transitioning, it's becoming apparent that certain foods (silly things, like those darn cocoa almonds or peanut butter) call me to them during my "down" times (from about 2pm til dinner) WHEN I'm not involved with activities that take my mind off of them. My mother used to talk about her having a food addiction, and I didn't take her seriously. And I drank <beer... lots of it> for years, which I stopped cold when I started Medi. Okay, I was a counselor for years, and should recognize these things in myself, but only now, with your help, Lea, Deb, and others... does it really come together in my head. Food IS a form of self nurturing. The trick is balancing it with nurturing NON-food activities that make one feel great and live longer. One thing I like to do during those deadly afternoon hours is listen to downloadable books on my iPod while I run around doing housework, fixing dinner, running the dogs, maybe a little treadmill. If I'm in the house, I have to remove my mind from the pantry . Happy Saturday to all ~
Several years ago (OK, probably close to 30 years ago) I went to a seminar given by a psychologist that was probably the best I'd ever attended. He spoke about people being so busy, trying to be perfect, and overdoing. One of the things he said is that in the past where both men and women did physical things on a daily basis, just to live ......with none of the modern conveniences, our bodies had the movement that our brains were designed to have, and needed. He said we NEED the physical movement, but not just for the large muscle groups, but also for the fine motor groups. So one of the many things he encouraged (besides exercise) was to keep hands busy with puzzles, needlework, gardening etc. So I took it to heart and taught myself how to do counted cross stitch. You had to keep your hands clean so couldn't be snacking. I lost weight without any real program at that time. He also said to chew gum when cooking or watching TV, I still try to do this when I remember, so I'm not nibbling.

He believes that the lack of physical activity is part of the ADHD problem with kids.......He said kids NEED to have that physical release of energy, and to stimulate their brains, that they just don't get like kids of past generations did.......but I digress......

He went on to talk about studies that had been done (this was a LONG time ago) about how "normal" weight people's brain gets the message that they have eaten enough in about 15 minutes (after starting to eat I THINK). In people who struggle to gain weight the brain gets the message in 5 - 10 minutes so they don't eat enough, and in overweight people the brain doesn't get the message for 20 - 30 minutes! He talked about portion control, and he also talked about how we now have greater choices than past generations did (that's when I discovered that too many choices for me is NOT good).......in the olden days people really did eat to stay alive, NOT for pleasure. Most people ate the same foods over, and over because that was all they had.
Doing cross stitch right after dinner became a routine for me, and it gave my brain extra time to figure out I wasn't hungry, PLUS it gave my fine motor skills a work out! I no longer do cross stitch, (early cataracts) but I do still work on other fine motor skill activities.

Now after dinner when I want to keep eating I try to go take a bath and do sudoku, or read (I don't have access to food when I'm naked in the bath tub) :blush: until that "wanting to eat" passes.........I know that isn't possible for many of you with kids to care for, but could you find something to do for some "ME" time during those hours where you have the most trouble? Maybe learn a new skill, read, learn yoga, meditate to calm your mind, paint your nails, use that time to sort through pictures, and put them in a file, or scrapbook.

Mary T8M (Tatem)

New member of the 80 pounds gone club

Whether you think you can, or you can't, either way you're right!
Henry Ford

Last edited by Mary T8M; 10-23-2010 at 07:33 AM..
Old 10-23-2010, 08:04 AM   #311
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NOT2fat4fun
Stats: 190/178/145 again
WOE: Medi
Start Date: May 5, 2009
What a great post Mary - thanks for taking the time to write all that!!!
Old 10-23-2010, 08:20 AM   #312
Major LCF Poster!

Irina - You wrote: "Ann, you said "Food IS a form of self nurturing". You are right. My worst times are nights. I exercise from 7p.m.-9p.m because I work from 9 to 5. and from 10 to midnight is my worst time foodwise." I'm wondering if you're body is really asking for WATER! Plus I see from your energy in/energy out post that you really work intensely and may not be eating enough in relation to the workout, JMHO. However, guilt is such a horrible ROBBER of peace! We need to retrain our minds about happiness, reward, guilt, punishment, etc. Sounds like we're all in the same boat!
Old 10-23-2010, 08:46 AM   #313
Major LCF Poster!

Mary - Good ideas! I went to a presentation in August that covered much of the same info. And, as Macauley stated yesterday, eating makes us feel better brain chemistry-wise, but it's an adapted change, an addictive change...so Lea is on the right path with those points too.

I came across a book I bought back in April, glanced at, and then set aside. I got busy instead going to counseling and memorizing Scripture, but I think this book could help...all of us! It's called "Life's Healing Choices: Freedom from your hurts, hang-ups, and habits" by John Baker. The forward is by Rick Warren; here's the first few sentences of it: "Do you ever eat or drink more calories than your body needs? Do you ever feel you ought to exercise but don't? Do you ever know the right thing to do but don't do it? Do you ever know something is wrong but do it anyway? If you answered yes to any of the questions above, you'll know without a doubt that you are a citizen of the human race...the principles of healing--even their logical order--[were] given by Christ in His most famous message: the Sermon on the Mount, the Beatitudes..."

John Baker writes, "At first they even sound like contraindications, but when you fully understand what Jesus is saying, you'll realize these eight statements are God's pathway to wholeness, growth, and spiritual maturity."

#1) "Happy are those who know they are spiritually poor." - realize I'm not God and that I'm powerless to control my tendency to do the wrong thing and that my life is unmanageable.
#2) "Happy are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted." - earnestly believe that God exists, that I matter to Him, and that He ha the pwer to help me recover.
#3) "Happy are the meek." - consciously choose to commit all my life and will to Christ's care and control.
#4) "Happy are the pure in heart." - openly examine and confess my faults to myself, to God, and to someone I trust.
#5) "Happy are those whose greatest desire is to do what God requires." - voluntarily submit to every change God wants to make in my life and humbly ask Him to remove my character defects.
#6) "Happy are those who are merciful." - evaluate all my relationships. Offer forgiveness to those who have hurt me and make amends for harm I've done to others, except when to do so would harm them or others.
#7) "Happy are those who work for peace." - reserve daily time with God for self-examination, Bible reading, and prayer in order to know God and His will for my life and to gain the power to follow His will.
#8) "Happy are those who are persecuted because they do what God requires." - Yield myself to God to be used to bring this Good News to others, both by my example and by my words.

Just putting this "out there" for anyone that may be interested in looking for an 8 step program (!) that has been working for thousands of years! Granted, we are still in this world, this culture, and have our own lustful temptations that we've "learned" to nurture ourselves with; but the Creator made us for Him and for each other, to honor Him...and when we selfishly chose to make food our idol instead of Him then it's all messed up. We all struggle with "idols"...it's just that we don't have to be powerless and guilty and feel defeated.

Blessings!
Debbie

Last edited by Fit2010; 10-23-2010 at 08:50 AM..
Old 10-23-2010, 02:40 PM   #314
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnK
Stats: 5'2" 133/133/115
WOE: MediWeightLoss
Start Date: 7/22/14
Mary and Deb ~ GREAT posts with ideas for all of us to consider as aids in changing our lives for the better. This forum has become a sort of therapy for me.
Thank you all!
Old 10-23-2010, 03:10 PM   #315
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnK View Post
Mary and Deb ~ GREAT posts with ideas for all of us to consider as aids in changing our lives for the better. This forum has become a sort of therapy for me.
Thank you all!
Therapy for ME TOO! I had quite an upsetting day, and where at one time I would have "snacked" on something, instead my first thought (OK, Maybe my second thought) was running over to the computer and getting comfort here! I'm not sure that's totally healthy either, but at least it isn't adding un-needed calories! I did step back, and acknowledge that part of my hurt today was admitting that my DH (today the 'D' doesn't stand for DEAR) is right, and I will NEVER be able to do many of the things I had always planned on doing, so now is the time to get rid of some things I've held on to .....I'll NEVER have enough time to sew all the quilts I wanted to, or have fabric for.....I'll NEVER have time to make all the crafty things I bought all the supplies for......I'll NEVER refinish all the old/antique furniture and other pieces I have......I'll NEVER get my failed business back..... I'll NEVER have time to read all the books I have. I have stuff stored in the garage, and DH wants his garage space back! It's been an ongoing battle. I love antiques, but he's right! So today I loaded up my car and took a bunch of stuff to Goodwill....things I had big plans for, and I have to admit it really broke my heart! It's hard to admit to your weaknesses! See what I mean about not wanting to miss out on something? I guess I want it all!
In the past it seems I've gotten rid of something only to find I needed/wanted it a week later, so I don't like getting rid of some things......Now don't get me wrong I'm not a hoarder or anything like that! My house is neat and clean, and people can just drop over any time, and find my house very presentable, BUT I do keep the door to my sewing/craft room closed, and it periodically becomes a "catch-all" and a clutter, but I also go in and clean it. I just have extra stuff or big things out in the garage, and that has casued friction.....NOT that DH doesn't have a bunch of stuff stored there also, but that's "his" space.
He was/is right, but I'm NOT in the mood for conversation with him......but I'm also not eating, so to me it's a victory.......confronting a problem, and NOT giving into un-needed calories

Last edited by Mary T8M; 10-23-2010 at 03:17 PM..
Old 10-23-2010, 03:43 PM   #316
Major LCF Poster!

Mary - I think we all share some aspect of this because we're basically nurturers! We know that we can help someone feel better, remember a memory, appreciate the past, feel loved, etc by the kinds of crafts and projects you just described. I have them too!!! And, because I've been back at school for several years working slowly (and now more quickly) on my Master's degree, all those "later when the kids are gone" projects sit and collect dust! I saved tee shirts from when my girls were cheerleaders 7th-12 grade from clinics they went to or put on or wore in support of the home team, etc. The youngest DD graduated from HS in 2005...and just in August when traveling to family vacation with DD#1 and DD#2 I finally cut the tee's into 14" diameter blocks, cut tie "tabs" and started making a tee shirt "quilt" that will be here when they come to visit. Have I worked on it since August? NOPE! Maybe when youngest DD is here for Thanksgiving and oldest comes for Christmas....Hey, it took me YEARS to make their Christmas stockings....I'm talking years! (But still put them out every year, straight pins and all....and made sure they were completed by the year they graduated from HS!!) Just today I realized I'll probably be looking around for photos for DD#1 wedding reception "slide show" if she wants one. Getting rid of some unused big items in garage sale with friend in 2 wks....just need to take the time to go through things I'd love to know how to refinish furniture. Some day I'd love to display my unique photos, try digital photography, learn to paint, and do stain glass....and golf, and write poetry, etc!!! Oh to FIND the time!

Last edited by Fit2010; 10-23-2010 at 03:44 PM..
Old 10-23-2010, 05:03 PM   #317
Senior LCF Member

I had a much better day emotionally. I think I ended with about 1,200 calories and even had a small piece of cake in there, but I stayed busy today and didn't do any of that crazy eating in the afternoon hours. I have a massage scheduled for early tomorrow afternoon so that'll be a GREAT nurturing event to take my mind off of eating!!

I found a whole slew of stuff last nite regarding OA and one piece of literature in particular was fantastic. I may rewrite it and provide a link to it. It was targeted specifically to maintenance and talked about how my body is healthy and whole again but my mind is still plagued with this illness. Now I fear even more about REgaining the weight and daily struggles have increased now because I'm no longer striving to LOSE the weight which has an end goal, but instead I have to make choices just to stay this way for the rest of my life. Anyway, it was me. Totally me. I also found about 15 books regarding weight and struggles. I think I'm going to re-read all of these books but I'm starting with the OA stuff. I'll report here for those who are interested!

Oh, PS - I got on the treadmill today and ran most of 35 minutes at a little over 5 mph. I danced around the family room for another hour AND worked on abs. I had a great day!
Old 10-23-2010, 05:58 PM   #318
Major LCF Poster!

Whoo Hoot Lea!! It's so good to hear all this! I'm all for a link to the OA stuff and book reports as you find kernels that you know we need to hear. Congratulations on 5mph for 35 mins....that is so awesome! So, danced around the living room for another hour--I'm envious--did DH dance with you?

On another note: GO MIZZOU !!! MIZ - ZOU !!!

Last edited by Fit2010; 10-23-2010 at 06:00 PM..
Old 10-24-2010, 01:29 PM   #319
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SDC2
Stats: 5' 7.5" 218/150/155 Maintenance
WOE: Medi-Weightloss
Start Date: November 20, 2008
Macauley, welcome back! You have had a lot happen in your life and I'm so glad you are back. You will be back to your thinner self in no time. I congratulate you on coming back to Medi. I've missed you.

For those of you in transition and struggling with "food addictions", don't keep the crap in your house. If it is not in the house you will not eat it. Allow yourself to have the crap once in a while, but have it out and leave it out. Once a week my husband and I have a cheat meal that we eat out. We do not bring any of it back to the house. That way we do not feel deprived knowing that we will get to eat what we want again in a week.

Be very careful of the carbs that you reintroduce to your diet on an every day basis. Make sure they are low glycemic and do not cause cravings. Our clinic recommends that you eat your carbs before 3pm.

Instead of eating the same things over and over, get creative and make meals that are satisfying. I have found that I can find a satisfying substitute for just about anything I am craving. Learn how to sub out recipes. You can substitute almond flour, whey protein, or even Atkins Bread mixes for flour, Truvia for sugar, Brummel & Brown for butter, ...

As for Halloween, why not buy candy that you don't like? I have done this for years and it works every time.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:53 PM   #320
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NOT2fat4fun
Stats: 190/178/145 again
WOE: Medi
Start Date: May 5, 2009
Susie! Thanks! Good to be here. Am totally committed to getting it right this time.
So agree with everything you said. Carbs are really not my friend.
Really glad you are still here supporting everyone!
Old 10-24-2010, 02:13 PM   #321
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SDC2
Stats: 5' 7.5" 218/150/155 Maintenance
WOE: Medi-Weightloss
Start Date: November 20, 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOT2fat4fun View Post
Susie! Thanks! Good to be here. Am totally committed to getting it right this time.
So agree with everything you said. Carbs are really not my friend.
Really glad you are still here supporting everyone!
I don't check in as often as I used to. I have a new puppy who takes much of my time and I am working at Medi now. I try to check in at least once a week. Carbs may not be your friend, but I am.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:10 PM   #322
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mommy2princesses
Stats: Ht 5'7'' 259.6/156/165
Start Date: May 11, 2010
[QUOTE=SDC2;14024508For those of you in transition and struggling with "food addictions", don't keep the crap in your house. If it is not in the house you will not eat it. Allow yourself to have the crap once in a while, but have it out and leave it out. Once a week my husband and I have a cheat meal that we eat out. We do not bring any of it back to the house. That way we do not feel deprived knowing that we will get to eat what we want again in a week.

As for Halloween, why not buy candy that you don't like? I have done this for years and it works every time.[/QUOTE]

The difficult thing is that I can't take all of the carbs out of this house - my husband and 2 kids need to eat too - and my weakness isn't just with carbs. I have limited the amount of junk we have here - as NONE of us need that, but the girls are allowed a "dessert" after dinner at night (sometimes that might even be strawberries with a scoop of cool whip, its not necessarily a "bad" for you dessert).

My issue isn't necessarily having bad food in the house and eating that - I have actually sat down and eaten almost 1/2 the jar of peanut butter, or more than 1/2 the container of almonds, or so many grapes that I got sick. So it sometimes is those "medi-friendly" foods that are my problem too! Its this overpowering lack of control that comes over me, even though I NEED to stop as I'm eating it and constantly think about how I should stop - or even think about how I shouldn't start to eat it in the first place. In the end, I think I just have major issues with eating to eat - portion size is lost on me in those moments, healthy vs. junk food doesn't matter (and really, nothing is healthy if you're eating the entire container of it!).

And during these moments, any food in the house will do - it doesn't have to be something I was craving, or something I know is bad for me. Which brings me to my worries about halloween - I haven't bought any yet (and don't plan on buying much - when its gone, its gone) but the girls will get candy when they go out. And as great as it sounds to just trash it - how do I explain that to a 5 and 2 yr old? I will end up trashing some of it, I'm sure my husband will taking lots to work - but in the end, the girls will want to eat some...and they are kids, they should get to indulge in healthy amounts - just because I can't control myself, they should get the chance to learn how to balance treats with other healthier habits.

I also feel as I am at a point where I am now just sabotaging (sp?) myself. I am so close to my goals - yet at a point where I am so much happier then I was before - and that voice in my head wins out when those out of control moments begin. It just aggravates me, and truly - it saddens me to know that I thrive on being in control, yet with this - its such a struggle.

Sometimes its just nice to know that I'm not alone.....

Over 100lbs. GONE FOREVER
Thanks to MWL!
8 months to Wellness....5/11/10 - 1/11/11
Old 10-24-2010, 03:30 PM   #323
Major LCF Poster!

Keri, You really are doing GREAT! So close to 80 pounds gone! I do know what you're saying about how hard it is. But hang in there and you WILL meet all of your goals!
I'm stuck (Plateau) right now, plus the tension is so thick in my house right now you could cut it with a dull knife.......DH has been unemployed since June, and just found out that a job (he really didn't want but applied for anyway) was offered to someone else. It has really gotten to him! I'm trying to be supportive, but can only be snarrled at so many times!
I've gotten to 160 too many times in the past, gotten stuck, then gave up........here I am again, but I vow to NOT give up this time......but I have to say I'm pretty DARNED tired of seeing that 160 come up on the scale. Today I'm tired, cranky, and bored and wanting to eat something different. I may try one of the baked apples I saw posted somewhere!
Hang in there kiddo, you CAN (and will) do it .......BTW what are the girls costumes this year? I made Olivia (10 yr grandaughter) an American Indian Princess costume. and 7mo old Ry a skeleton! I love making costumes and decorating for Halloween!
Old 10-24-2010, 04:13 PM   #324
Senior LCF Member

Keri, what you said is true for me too. I don't just overeat on the bad stuff - in fact, more times than not, I don't cause it's not in the house. But there are almonds here again and sunflower seeds and a brand new jar (unopened as of yet) of peanut butter. I, too, just feel so overwhelmed with my desire to EAT, EAT, EAT and my shut off button isn't as good as it was in acute. I still had moments in acute, too, but not like I've had since being in maintenance. I'm still determined to keep this off, but I'm afraid it's going to be 5 pounds up, then back down. Five pounds up, then back down. I guess that's a form of maintenance too, but it surely feels more stressful!!

You are doing really great and I'm always excited to read your posts. Keep up the good work, keep the faith and keep POSTING!!!
Old 10-24-2010, 05:57 PM   #325
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Kara125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlene4 View Post
They tried to tell me that I wasn't eating enough protein a couple times when I had low loses (i veg also) but I KNEW that wasn't true. I was getting lots of protein. The real problem for me was that I wasn't eating enough calories and my body was going into survival mode.
Hi Charlene - I am a vegetarian (lacto/ovo) as well. I am starting Medi next week. Do you have any vegetarian meal ideas that you can share?
Old 10-24-2010, 06:00 PM   #326
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: slbpl61
Stats: 5'8" 206/203/165
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 08/16/2013 Restart
Since restarting a few days ago, I have taken all of my supplements and drank all of my water. My calorie count went from 1200 to 900 to 700. My carb count has gone from 23 to 15 to 10. My clinic gave me a Week 1 calorie range of 500-800 and <10 g carbs daily. Tomorrow starts Day 4 although I am going to wait another day or 2 before testing for ketosis. I have lost all cravings for processed sugars and the occasional burger, etc. I made creamed spinach today and some ricotta cheese sweetened with whipped cream. I don't feel the bloat either. My point is even though I didn't start exactly as recommended, I am far and above ahead simply because I have returned to journaling. My choices may not totally be the ones recommended but they aren't the ones I used to make when I was well over 200 pounds. This time I have weened myself back into the calorie and carb limit rather than starting cold turkey.

I have serious trigger foods too, like many of you have been writing about. Forget about almonds or any kind of nut and seeds in my house!! I am so close to my goal that it's not worth it to me to keep them around. I hope I can transition into maintenance without freaking out though....LOL!

To my Pensacola clinic friends, I may go in Monday for my second shot. My weigh-in is on Thursday or Friday this week. When do you weigh in? Would love to meet you there sometime!
Old 10-24-2010, 06:39 PM   #327
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: loyemarie
Stats: 5'7"~258/226.2/170
Start Date: September 8, 2010
Wow, Keri. I hear you loud and clear. When our kids were little I could hardly WAIT for them to go to bed on Halloween...hehehe....

I thought of a couple of suggestions. Since your kids are so young, you could say they can pick out 10 (or 15, or whatever you think) of their very, very most favorites and the rest has to be given away "because it's not healthy to have so much candy". Then, put them in a lunch bag that they can decorate with their name, etc. and then...

here's the important part...

have your husband hide them. The kids have to wait for him to get home to have one.

What do you think??

BTW, you are the same height and at the same weight when you started Medi as I was. Frankly, I would DIE to be your weight. To get to onederland will be amazing...
Old 10-24-2010, 06:40 PM   #328
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: YankeeMom27
Stats: 181/156.8/145
WOE: Medi WeightLoss
Start Date: restart 03/29/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tydreamer View Post
I had a much better day emotionally. I think I ended with about 1,200 calories and even had a small piece of cake in there, but I stayed busy today and didn't do any of that crazy eating in the afternoon hours. I have a massage scheduled for early tomorrow afternoon so that'll be a GREAT nurturing event to take my mind off of eating!!

I found a whole slew of stuff last nite regarding OA and one piece of literature in particular was fantastic. I may rewrite it and provide a link to it. It was targeted specifically to maintenance and talked about how my body is healthy and whole again but my mind is still plagued with this illness. Now I fear even more about REgaining the weight and daily struggles have increased now because I'm no longer striving to LOSE the weight which has an end goal, but instead I have to make choices just to stay this way for the rest of my life. Anyway, it was me. Totally me. I also found about 15 books regarding weight and struggles. I think I'm going to re-read all of these books but I'm starting with the OA stuff. I'll report here for those who are interested!

Oh, PS - I got on the treadmill today and ran most of 35 minutes at a little over 5 mph. I danced around the family room for another hour AND worked on abs. I had a great day!
I am SO interested in the OA links/info! Please let me know what you are planning. I have had an ABSOLUTELY horrible week starting with working at least 12 hours plus days for the past 7 days so I've had zero time to exercise and couldn't even make my Medi appointment. I was facing a deadline, so my stress level was at its highest that led me to want to eat EVERYTHING especially chocolate!!! I'm so mad at myself because I've worked so hard to lose almost 30 pounds the past 3 months and I felt like I had no control this week. My body may have changed, but my mind hasn't, so OA sounds like exactly what I need! I need to know WHY I want to eat all that garbage after doing so well for the 1st 3 months. I did the same thing on WW a few years ago-lost 25 pounds and then BAM! started allowing little "cheats" here and there (or so I thought!) and gained all the weight back and then some..I DON"T want that to happen again. I'm really scared for Halloween and the holidays, I feel that I'm not going to have the willpower to resist all the food temptations. I wish that I did what other people here suggested in buying candy that I don't like, that way I wouldn't eat it. I'm going to make sure I do that from now on!!

I'm so glad that I went back to read all the posts I've missed the past week, you have all given me the encouragement that I need to get back on track. I really thought of just giving up, but reading that so many are going through exactly what I am has shown me that slip-ups happen and I can't let that deter me from my goal. I have put all the kids' candy and snacks out in the garage so I don't see it and tomorrow I'm back to a normal schedule, so I'm committed to pick myself up, dust myself off and start over again..going to do all protein until weigh-in on Thursday, drinking all my water, getting back to running on my treadmill and of course, keeping up with everyone's posts! Thank you so much!!
Old 10-24-2010, 06:56 PM   #329
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: loyemarie
Stats: 5'7"~258/226.2/170
Start Date: September 8, 2010
Well, friends, we got home from our long anniversary weekend at Disneyworld late last night. I got more exercise than I normally get in a MONTH walking/trotting all over the place! It was great fun. We went to Mickey's Halloween party (and would go again next year!) and did some of the parks, too. I did decide to have anything I wanted (in small reasonable portions) for our anniversary lunch at Tusker House in Animal Kingdom, including carbs I know some of you wouldn't approve, but I did get right back on Medi-style eating the next day and although I knocked myself out of ketosis, I did lose a pound. So, now I'll do week one until I get myself into fat-burning ketosis again - 3 or 4 days ought to do it.

I skimmed through some of your entries, and I so agree that I wish Medi had a professional counseling portion because, unfortunately, I think this is the easy part - losing the weight. The hard part will come when we have to become a "new creature" and give up our former life as sugar addicts. Over the years, I've been to 2 counselors that claimed to be specialists in weight issues, but didn't find them helpful AT ALL. So, I'm still looking for someone who can REALLY help with the mental aspect of my broken psyche.

But, you know, we ARE getting some help....from each other!!! We UNDERSTAND each other, and here we are not judged.

BTW, I bought glow bracelets to hand out for Halloween. Did that last year and the kids LOVED them! I may also get some Capri Sun drinks and/or water because my kids would always get so thirsty running around.

Last edited by loyemarie; 10-24-2010 at 06:58 PM..
Old 10-24-2010, 07:22 PM   #330
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mommy2princesses
Stats: Ht 5'7'' 259.6/156/165
Start Date: May 11, 2010
Thank you ladies for the support! I know 80 lbs is an incredible loss - and I LOVE LOVE LOVE this new body, which is part of why I can't give in to this self-sabotage!

Mary - the girls are being Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty. I've never been big into Halloween (and can barely sew a button, so homemade costumes are OUT!) and we had these 2 dresses from past trips to Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique at Disney and for the money spent on them strongly encouraged the girls to be this for Halloween. Of course with 2 little girls - selling the idea of princesses took oh, about 1 second!

Lea - that is it exactly, an overwhelming desire to eat - and to continue to eat for absolutely no reason. Do you feel it happens more when you're alone? I'm thinking that may be a trigger for me, it seems to hit me strongest during my 2 y.o.'s nap or once hte girls go to bed at night (and my husband is away Mon-Fri working right now and its not as bad on weekends when he's home). I almost need to start journaling when it happens!

Heather - You got it when you said that your body has changed but your mind hasn't! I still catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror and sometimes can't believe what I see looking back. My mind needs to get with the program now!

Loyemarie - Ok, why did I never think of letting them choose a small bag of candy to keep (a dozen pieces or so???) and my lovely husband can take the rest on Monday morning! And my 5 y.o. is the type who would know in a second if a piece was missing and would completely call me out on it....I LOVE this idea! I never noticed how similar our starting stats are....let me tell you, the difference in weighing 260 lbs to even just under 200 will amaze you! The ability to do anything, fit anywhere, shop EVERYWHERE is....ok, there is no word to describe it. And to know what it felt like to weigh almost 260 lbs makes it so easy to be "comfortable" where I am now. I see you have a goal of 170 - I am still struggling to figure out what my "goal" should be. I would love to be a size 10 (no idea why - just sounds like a good number! I'm a 12 now). I know in the past I've dieted down to just under 150, size 8 - which is NO WAY a good weight for me, its impossible to maintain. I'm thinking perhaps 160-165, I did talk to my counselor about starting to transition once I hit 170. Who knows though!

Thanks for being here!

Last edited by mommy2princesses; 10-24-2010 at 07:27 PM..
Closed Thread