Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2010, 02:33 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Nashville Bride
Medi and Alcohol

Hey all! Ok, so this is a pretty random question, but I really need an honest answer so any help I can get would be appreciated!

I'm not telling my family that I'm doing this. Even though I'm a grown woman they'd still worry about me, so I'm keeping it between me and my fiance. Anyway, the family is coming to town next weekend to visit, and let's just say they like to go out and have a good time. As do I! However, since beer is totally off limits, I have to drink something else. I would just not drink anything, but I know they'll ask me what's up (we're not a peer pressure drinking family, they just know me and know I enjoy beer). So does anyone know some drinks I could have without ruining my diet? Anything with Vodka or something?? Any help would be appreciated! THanks!
Nashville Bride is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2010, 02:53 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: msawhitt
Stats: 220/130/145
WOE: Medi
Start Date: August 11, 2010
I SO feel you on this one! Not the "secret" part, but I can barely resist a good drink! I asked my clinic this question since my daughters 4th birthday fell during my 3rd week at the clinic, and they told me that obviously it was going to mess up my diet but if I really wanted to, I should try to drink red wine. I hate the stuff, and had a couple of the 55 calorie Bud Select bottles. As much as I enjoyed them, I honestly have to say that since then I have struggled a lot more to lose weight and stay on the plan! I know that one day I will return to drinking regularly again, but was it worth it to do so while I'm paying $70 a week to lose weight? Looking back, I would say that it wasn't. I wish I would have just stuck to the plan, I would probably be that much closer to being done with it.

I understand family pressure and what not (my boyfriend and I are mostly Irish- our families can DRINK, lol!), just wanted to let you know what happened to me when I asked the same question and how I feel about it now. Also, I "knew" that I could limit myself to one or two, but two leads to four, then four leads to snacks, then snacks lead to a messy dinner, then one evening of bad foods leads to giving up on the whole weekend, etc......They will probably ask you about your eating habits too, and you definitely can't eat off-plan the whole time they are here. Maybe it would be less stress to clue them in just a little bit? Stick to something simple, just that you are on a diet and don't want to have any of the foods or drinks they are having? Maybe you can tell them just enough not to hassle you, but enough so that they don't question you.

Best of luck!!

lost 45 pounds in 3 months with MWL!

total loss of 90 pounds since May 2010

In maintenance : )
msawhitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 02:59 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mary T8M
Stats: 5'2" 228/144/125 good-bye 150's
WOE: LC/LF/LCal (medi)
Start Date: 4/23/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashville Bride View Post
Hey all! Ok, so this is a pretty random question, but I really need an honest answer so any help I can get would be appreciated!

I'm not telling my family that I'm doing this. Even though I'm a grown woman they'd still worry about me, so I'm keeping it between me and my fiance. Anyway, the family is coming to town next weekend to visit, and let's just say they like to go out and have a good time. As do I! However, since beer is totally off limits, I have to drink something else. I would just not drink anything, but I know they'll ask me what's up (we're not a peer pressure drinking family, they just know me and know I enjoy beer). So does anyone know some drinks I could have without ruining my diet? Anything with Vodka or something?? Any help would be appreciated! THanks!
Straight alcohol does not have any carbs. It does contain the same calories as fat.....do a google search. My DH will have a shot of burbon once in a great while (he's doing Medi) and he says he "feels" it much more than he used to........for me, I'd just as soon drink water as subject myself to straight anything.......I did have a low carb beer prior to Medi and didn't care for it much either. I think a lot of regular beers have 12 carbs in a 12 oz bottle. I'd say just tell your family you don't need the empty calories, so are drinking diet soda, and leave it at that

Mary T8M (Tatem)

New member of the 80 pounds gone club

Whether you think you can, or you can't, either way you're right!
Henry Ford
Mary T8M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 02:59 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: diertac
Stats: 196.6/167.2/155
WOE: MWL
Start Date: 09/21/10
I'd suggest going with a good glass of red wine as well.

If you can order out of earshot, order soda water with lime. People will assume gin & tonic. If they ask, tell them you're getting more exotic and hitting the hard liquor now.

msawhitt - I saw you allude to your love of beer in another thread I posted! We'll just have to be "beer twins" on this, because I am the same way. Beer is, and has always been my weakness.

In fact, Monday night before I started the plan I finished up my last six pack in the house. Well, all but one bottle. Finishing that last one would have been overkill, I wasn't going to force myself to drink it. So, I took my last Miller Lite out of the fridge and I've set it up on my bookshelf in my office. I've promised myself that when I get to my goal of 135, I will chill that puppy up and drink it to celebrate. But not until then!!
diertac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 03:00 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Nashville Bride
Thank you! I appreciate the feedback. Yeah, I think I'm going to try diet coke and rum. It looks like there's only 60 calories in rum, no carbs, and I just want to be able to have one or two drinks, then just drink diet coke for the rest of the night. As long as they think I'm drinking the whole night they won't worry to much lol! I told them I was on a diet, they just don't know what diet. Ugh, I hate lying, but I don't want them to know :/
Nashville Bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 06:43 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: neneRN
Stats: 5'1", 149/125.4/115-120
WOE: lMedi Weight Loss
Start Date: Restart 12/03/13
I've had a couple of weekends (Labor Day, anniversary weekend) since I've been on Medi where I wanted to have a drink or 2. Each time I had 2 drinks (vodka mixed with Crystal Lite Lemonade) and it didn't seem to affect my weight loss. Both times were on weeks that I lost 4 lbs...go figure, the weeks that I didn't drink I only lost 1-2 lbs. I told the clinic when I did drink, they said don't worry about it, as long as you're not drinking beer or mixed drinks, and make sure I'm staying active, doing exercise. I think vodka has 45 cal/oz and it has no carbs. I will agree with what one of the other posters said; you definitely feel the effects much more quickly when you're on Medi. I don't drink a lot, just socially...but after 2 drinks, I felt like I'd had about 4, so sip it slowly!
neneRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:37 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Desert-Rose7
Stats: 5'11"/262/150/150
WOE: MediWeightLoss
Start Date: 12/19/08 in Wellness since 09/03/2009
From my perspective, alcohol is a non issue during the acute phase. It it totally up to you, but for me, I preferred my calories to be spent on food that would benefit me. Please take a look at the thread below for some solid advice on this subject:

Alcohol

...and try the search functionality as well...many of the threads being started have had the same questions asked and answered many many times over in the last few years.

Welcome to the program! Success in MWL comes with 100% commitment of body mind and soul. Also JMHO...honesty truly is the best policy with friends and family...you may be surprised at the support you will find...and sometimes, yes, there is criticism of the method/plan you have chosen...but you need to do what is best for you and your health. They are going to figure out that something is going on sooner rather than later. Again...your life, your choice, your health...

I wish you success in your journey.

Jo

Last edited by Desert-Rose7; 09-24-2010 at 08:39 PM..
Desert-Rose7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:57 PM   #8

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I seem to recall hearing that sometimes people will get up and quietly tell the waitress/barmaid to bring straight soda water with a lime wedge when you order "gin and tonic," or something like this that would look like what you are pretending to drink. Of course that's harder if you aren't paying. But think about the possibilities.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:45 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Not Giselle
Stats: 5'8", 187/145/145
WOE: Medi Weight Loss
Start Date: 7/27/10
It's funny how the different Medi clinics say different things.

Mine said to avoid wine while in ketosis (which I thought was strange because red wine doesn't look like it has that many carbs), but feel free to drink liquor, preferably vodka...just watch your mixers.

She also said not to drink a tonic drink (unless you're at home and can use diet tonic) because tonic has 3 carbs per ounce or something. So my counselor would have said to order a "gin and tonic" but whisper to the waitress to bring straight gin and hold the TONIC.
Not Giselle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:36 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnK
Stats: 5'2" 133/133/115
WOE: MediWeightLoss
Start Date: 7/22/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Giselle View Post
It's funny how the different Medi clinics say different things.

Mine said to avoid wine while in ketosis (which I thought was strange because red wine doesn't look like it has that many carbs), but feel free to drink liquor, preferably vodka...just watch your mixers.

She also said not to drink a tonic drink (unless you're at home and can use diet tonic) because tonic has 3 carbs per ounce or something. So my counselor would have said to order a "gin and tonic" but whisper to the waitress to bring straight gin and hold the TONIC.
LOL ~ Love this Not Giselle!!! Good thing I cut out alcohol during this acute phase... it's confusing enough for me to try to figure out the carbs of 1/4 of an avocado... I can just see me trying to order the right low carb drink AFTER the first drink ...!
AnnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:25 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ortal
Stats: 184/138/120 5'5"
WOE: Medi
Start Date: 4/26/2010
haha thats cute :-p like when I used to order chicken parm hold the parm.

I rarely drink now that Im on medi, which is sad because I love a good margariota. However, when I do, I now a) weigh less and b) drink a lot less so all I need is a drink or two to make me feel good. Why not a gin and seltzer?
Ortal is offline   Reply With Quote