Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2010, 10:36 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: diertac
Stats: 196.6/167.2/155
WOE: MWL
Start Date: 09/21/10
Any Medi-Weightloss Endurance Athletes Out There?

Hi everyone!

Today is my first day on MWL. I went in this morning for my first visit. I've read the newbies' Week One thread and thanks to that I am already stocked up with my EAS Advantage shakes, my College Inn low-sodium chicken broth, and several other items I'm going to need to get by. Thank you so much SDC2 for getting that thread started and packing it full of such great information.

As you might expect, they asked me if I exercised and if so, how much. I'm currently training for a half marathon (walking, not running until I lose a few pounds). I told them that I log anywhere from 15-20 miles a week of walking. I also just finished training for and finishing a 100 mile Century bike ride in Lake Tahoe.

I think that perhaps because of this, they have me aiming for 700-800 calories of protein this first week instead of 500. The counselor I spoke with was good. He came in and the first thing he said with a grin was, "So are you addicted to just sugar or all carbs?" to which I responded, "Beer!" He said, "I've got to say, the amount you exercise, the only way you'd be here is if you're seriously into carbs."

Yup, I agreed, he was right. Then he said, "There's no amount of exercise that can outpace carb consumption... no matter how hard you try."

Yup, right again. Part of the reason I've become such an exercise junkie is that I just love my food so darned much. But he assured me that this would help break that cycle of craving.

Anyway, on to my question: Those of you who do endurance training - what do you take to fuel food-wise after 60-90 minutes of exercise? Normally I ingest Clif Shot Bloks for fuel, but they're pure sugar. Is there a low-carb equivalent?

I'm out there race walking up to 3 hours some days, and I need to eat something every 60 minutes or I WILL definitely bonk. He mentioned some kind of protein "shots" but I didn't quite understand what he was getting at.

Any advice from any of you with experience on this would be MUCH appreciated! He also told me I could have a few nuts and raisins the morning of my long walk (this Saturday I'm going 9 miles) and that I shouldn't count them toward my total calories because I was going to burn the calories during exercise.

Your thoughts?

Thanks!!

Cat
diertac is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2010, 11:14 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lins
WOE: Medi-weightloss
Start Date: 1/12/14
I run 4 miles which takes me about 55 minutes, 3-4 times a week. And sometimes I walk another 2 miles on top of that. But on those days I just increase my calories from 500 to 700. I still don't eat carbs. I usually drink a protein shake an hour before, or an hour after a run, but mine are 140 calories total. Sometimes I eat 8-12 almonds depending on how long it has been since my last meal. I haven't had any problem keeping my energy levels up while running. I am training for a half marathon right now, and have done 5 mile runs twice this week so far, and I still just stick with drinking a protein shake. No other fuel needed. It hasn't been a problem.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:42 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lins View Post
I run 4 miles which takes me about 55 minutes, 3-4 times a week. And sometimes I walk another 2 miles on top of that. But on those days I just increase my calories from 500 to 700. I still don't eat carbs. I usually drink a protein shake an hour before, or an hour after a run, but mine are 140 calories total. Sometimes I eat 8-12 almonds depending on how long it has been since my last meal. I haven't had any problem keeping my energy levels up while running. I am training for a half marathon right now, and have done 5 mile runs twice this week so far, and I still just stick with drinking a protein shake. No other fuel needed. It hasn't been a problem.

Lins, that is awesome information, thank you.

Are you still only taking in 500-700 calories each day, even though you're already near your goal? I thought we would increase our calorie intake a bit as we lost weight?

Congrats on your training for your half. Which one are you doing? I'm doing the Myrtle Beach Mini Marathon in October.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:46 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Desert-Rose7
Stats: 5'11"/262/150/150
WOE: MediWeightLoss
Start Date: 12/19/08 in Wellness since 09/03/2009
That would be on a case by case basis...for calorie uptake. I walk 6 miles a day, 7 days a week, 365. If I want to,and sometimes I do, I can walk a 5k faster than some people can run. But all through the acute phase, I kept to no more than 700 a day. Now in maintenance, I still stay low carb, low sugar. I cannot do it any other way, that much I did learn and understand. I can go up to around 1200-1300 calories a day and still maintain, but I prefer to stay a bit lower. I have done several 5ks and a half marathon, and even a whole marathon....walking..and fast..no carb loading at any time...and no ill effects. I stay hydrated, and that, for me, is the most important thing.

Your best bet is to stay true to what your counselors tell you. You really do need to commit to this program body mind and soul. 100% commitment leads to success.

Good luck!

Jo
Old 09-21-2010, 09:01 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: msawhitt
Stats: 220/130/145
WOE: Medi
Start Date: August 11, 2010
I am working my way up, running about 20-30 minutes plus walking an hour 3 times a week, then walking for 1.5 hours (or more) each other day. I usually have a scoop of a Whey protein mix from Publix (2 carbs, 80 calories) about an hour before and an hour after each workout. I eat only 500 protein calories, so this eats up 160 or them, but as long as I stick to fish and chicken I get plenty to eat. My doctor at Medi is a runner, and he said there was no need to up my calorie intake.

I have always been a walker, and seem to have the same problem that got me to Medi in the first place-beer! It is still my biggest temptation- we have a draught in our house : (

Like Jo said- hydration is the most important thing. I can tell just by how I feel if I had had enough water for the day- I barely need to count. Powerade Zero too, helps alleviate leg cramps from exercise.

lost 45 pounds in 3 months with MWL!

total loss of 90 pounds since May 2010

In maintenance : )
msawhitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:57 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lins
WOE: Medi-weightloss
Start Date: 1/12/14
I am in transition now and am still right around 700-800 calories, even days I run, I don't change that. Yes my calories will go up to around 1200 a day, but I will only do that if I can maintain. Really if you are eating proteins and staying hydrated you don't really need an increase in calories if you are working out for an hour or so. Even over an hour of walking isn't going to change anything. If you were running 10 miles or so, then yes it would change but I haven't needed anything more for my 4-6 miles of running.
lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:05 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: irabeslim
Stats: 5'2" - 253/140/140
Start Date: January 21st, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by lins View Post
I am in transition now and am still right around 700-800 calories, even days I run, I don't change that. Yes my calories will go up to around 1200 a day, but I will only do that if I can maintain. Really if you are eating proteins and staying hydrated you don't really need an increase in calories if you are working out for an hour or so. Even over an hour of walking isn't going to change anything. If you were running 10 miles or so, then yes it would change but I haven't needed anything more for my 4-6 miles of running.
I am finding that on days when I exercise (I do very high intensity cardio for at least an hour plus 30 min of weights) I am really hungry coming back. So what I did is I eat my dinner which is mostly protein (about 250 cal) and then have protein shake on return which would make more than 500 cal protein for a day but I was consistentlt losing. I do not add extra carbs for the fear of falling out of ketosis. I want my fat used for the energy and not my muscle mass. On those occasions when I was not in ketosis and exercised on the same level I would lose some fat and some muscles but when I am in ketosis it is mostly fat.

"Nothing tastes better than thin feels"
-------------------
Was in wellness!
Restart on 04/05/11 to lose 15 gained lb
253/148/140
irabeslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:57 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Thanks everyone for your input. My long walk/run (9 miles) is scheduled for tomorrow. I plan on eating some almonds beforehand, and maybe some cottage cheese. I'm just going to take almonds with me (along with some Powerade Zero). I really do need to eat every 60 minutes or so when training on weekends or I get woozy. I figure I can try a few almonds and see how they work out.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:10 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Sadly, I am going to have to go back to the drawing board for hydration, at least. Even though I am drinking my 100+ ounces of water during normal days, I can't take a ton of liquid with me when I'm exercising.

Yesterday I found that the almonds didn't do the trick for me at all. Tough to eat while maintaining a 14min/mi pace, and they didn't go down so easily.

Also, I carried 24 ounces of Powerade zero which simply wasn't enough hydration. I began to get dizzy around mile 7, and struggled to make it back to my car at mile 9 off the greenway. Once I made it back, I downed an EAS Advantage shake and made it home.

It got worse when I got home, couldn't stand up long in the shower and ended up vomiting severely for an hour, feeling feverish. My husband came home from his run (he's a marathon coach) and told me I was dehydrated. He made me down 2 large glasses of water with enduralytes (a tablet electrolyte replacement), and started me on drinking the College Inn LF/LS chicken broth. IMMEDIATELY I felt better.

I'm thinking I'm going to stick with water and enduralyte tablets (not powerade) for my next long outing, that way I can refill with water and still get electrolytes. Still searching for some energy replacement that goes down easy too.

Not looking forward to 12 miles next week!
Old 09-28-2010, 09:58 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: madmax79
Stats: 5'11" - 223/204/190
WOE: Medi Weight Loss
Start Date: 23 SEP 10
Quote:
I can't take a ton of liquid with me when I'm exercising
What is considered a ton of liquid? You can get a hydration back pack (not sure if I can use brand names). We use them in the military and you can take 100 oz with you.
madmax79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:13 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax79 View Post
What is considered a ton of liquid? You can get a hydration back pack (not sure if I can use brand names). We use them in the military and you can take 100 oz with you.
I have thought of a hydration back pack, but I've been resisting one because (pre-Medi) I just used the water stops that my training team puts out. Now, it looks like I might need to get one.

Right now what I'm carrying with me is a Nathan water bottle pack - 24 oz. of water in a waist pack. I felt like I needed at least 60 ounces last weekend, which of course a hydration backpack would take care of.

(How are those to clean, btw?)

The alternative, that I'm probably going to do short term, is take the electrolyte tablets with me and just drink pure water at the team water stops along my route. (They put out Gatorade and water every 2-2.5 miles... Last week I went out "on my own" and so didn't have access to reliable water.) Part of my mistake last week was going on my own (flatter) route. There were "water stops" with Gatorade only on that route (for other training groups) that I could have gone to but I didn't want to risk it. Looking back, that was pretty stupid of me. But in my defense, when you're bonking and dehydrated, you're not entirely logical.

PS: I think you can use a brand name. (I see EAS shakes mentioned here...) so could you let me know either via PM or here what brand you use? Def. interested. Thanks!

Last edited by diertac; 09-28-2010 at 10:16 AM.. Reason: Added PS
Old 09-28-2010, 10:20 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

The ones we use are Camelbak. I think the model I have is calle the "Hog". It's has extra room and pockets for tool/map/food storage.

As far as cleaning goes, it's pretty easy. It disassembles simply and they sell a cleaning kit that is used for getting in the tubes etc. There is also a drying hanger thing that goes in the bladder so it can hang dry without getting moldy.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:30 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mary T8M
Stats: 5'2" 228/144/125 good-bye 150's
WOE: LC/LF/LCal (medi)
Start Date: 4/23/10
for Madmax

I see you are from Jacksonville. Where is the center you go to? My daughter lives in Jax and I didn't think there was a Mediweightloss center there. I'd love to find one for her.

Welcome
Mary T8M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:50 PM   #14
Junior LCF Member

It's in on San Jose Blvd in Mandarin.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:53 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax79 View Post
It's in on San Jose Blvd in Mandarin.
what I'm asking is what center do you belong to? (OK that was bad grammar, but it's early!) I didn't know there was a Medi in Jax, so I was wondering where the closest center is?
Old 09-29-2010, 07:32 AM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Jacksonville, Florida - Physician-Supervised Weight Loss - Medi-Weightloss Clinics
Old 09-30-2010, 08:20 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

THANK you! The last time I checked the Medi website there wasn't a center even close to Jax. I'm hoping I can get my daughter to join!