Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Medi Weightloss (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/medi-weightloss/)
-   -   *.*Super Spectacular September with MWL*.* (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/medi-weightloss/689329-super-spectacular-september-mwl.html)

Desert-Rose7 09-01-2010 04:16 AM

*.*Super Spectacular September with MWL*.*
 
Here we go into Fall. Football, falling leaves and a fabulous time to really manage our weight loss. Lots of outdoor activities to participate in. Let's make this the best September ever! Own the program and make it your own!

lins 09-01-2010 04:44 AM

I can't belive it's September already!

I started reading the AB diet book for women. I have found that if I read a diet or weight related book every once in awhile, even if I don't agree with everything it says, I find it motivating. Sometimes even an fitness magazine can spur me on. I expecially like to read those during the afternoon which is my "snacky feeling" time of day. Anyway this Ab book is really good. It pushes a high protein diet, coming from the same sources that Medi suggests. It also talks about good carbs (grains, beans), so I just ignore that part. But it talks about how awful processes sugars and bad carbs are which is helpful. The book is really just all about how food makes are body work, so if you put good food into it, your body will work better. And how building muscles can make your burn more calories for more hours of each day etc... I am finding it very interesting.

Best of luck to everyone in September. For those of you just getting started make this an amazing life changing month. For those of us hitting our goals, may we learn how to go into maintanace smoothly. And everyone in between, keep on truckin on, this diet does work!

Ortal 09-01-2010 05:42 AM

IVe been in the 140s for 2 months now. Im happy with what i lost but if I dont get to 135 by the end of september Im going to be upset. thats like 6 lbs in a month... ishould be able to do that considering my success in the first few months of the diet.

msawhitt 09-01-2010 06:36 AM

On books: I agree Lins, I just started reading "Mindless Eating", which is interesting, but it gives me that nudge to be "on a diet" and do mine better : )

On another note: For those of you who have fallen out of ketosis, when you went back to the week 1 plan, did you stay on it all week? Or just long enough to go back into ketosis, then add back in your 2 cups veggies? I'm not headed to my clinic this week since I have plenty of meds and know I didn't lose any weight, and am wondering which way would result in the best week for me. Today is Wednesday, and my next appt. is next Wednesday at 9:30 am so I truly have a full week. On a good note, I am feeling much better, and although the only food that I could get down my throat for the past 4 days I have been sick was mashed potatoes, I only had about a full cup's worth over a course of 2 days...not so tragic : ) Happy to be back on track, and *hopefully* back in the gym tomorrow or Friday!!

mommy2princesses 09-01-2010 07:11 AM

Wow - it's September. Someone tell me where June, July, & August went????? It goes way too fast!

Heading out on a date with my oldest daughter today - we're celebrating her last day before Kindergarten tomorrow. She has been asking to go to this ceramics place and paint something...so that we shall do!

It is super hot & humid here today - DH should be home tonight so he can see our daughter off to school tomorrow, hopefully I can get an outside walk in tonight.

Stacey - when I fell out of ketosis, I did 3 days of protein and then was testing back in at small. My clinic said 3 or 4 days should be all I needed.

irabeslim 09-01-2010 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lins (Post 13848200)
I can't belive it's September already!

I started reading the AB diet book for women. I have found that if I read a diet or weight related book every once in awhile, even if I don't agree with everything it says, I find it motivating. Sometimes even an fitness magazine can spur me on. I expecially like to read those during the afternoon which is my "snacky feeling" time of day. Anyway this Ab book is really good. It pushes a high protein diet, coming from the same sources that Medi suggests. It also talks about good carbs (grains, beans), so I just ignore that part. But it talks about how awful processes sugars and bad carbs are which is helpful. The book is really just all about how food makes are body work, so if you put good food into it, your body will work better. And how building muscles can make your burn more calories for more hours of each day etc... I am finding it very interesting.

Best of luck to everyone in September. For those of you just getting started make this an amazing life changing month. For those of us hitting our goals, may we learn how to go into maintanace smoothly. And everyone in between, keep on truckin on, this diet does work!

lins, thank you putting this so nicely: "Best of luck to everyone in September. For those of you just getting started make this an amazing life changing month. For those of us hitting our goals, may we learn how to go into maintanace smoothly. And everyone in between, keep on truckin on, this diet does work!
"
I am hoping to reach my goal in September. For whatever reason I slowed down in August, after speedy weight loss in the preceeding months. So I have really high hopes that September will be the month when I hit my goal (never had this weight in my adult years) and smoothly go to transition.

Mary T8M 09-01-2010 12:51 PM

Happy September! Lets see...Keri, when I write things in my notebook, I generally write down protein calories. I don't "overdo" veggies, :blush: and somedays if I don't have to cook for DH I might not have any that day, so most of the time I don't write down carbs.
I do find that if I don't mark down my fluids I don't get enough! so I write down the ounces when I fill my glass, then make a check mark by it when I empty the glass. I use those Tervis Tumblers, so I get about 22 ounces for each glass! I do the same for any other fluids I get too. I have the meds and vitamins down to a science, so don't write them, and I only check for ketosis a couple times a week.

We had our weigh-in this morning. I'm down another 2 pounds, and Bill is down 3. That puts him at a loss of over 60 pounds! He saw his cardiologist yesterday, and he changed some of Bill's BP meds, and was VERY impressed with his loss! I'm hoping in the near future he'll be off many of them!

Not Giselle 09-01-2010 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nsjx
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2princesses

Nsjx - can I ask how tall you are? I'm hoping to get to 155-160, and I'm thinking that'll be a size 10. Just curious!

I am 5' 6 3/4 inches. Isn't it amazing how body types are different? Same height. I also think the weight training helps build muscles which takes up less space and you loose lots of inches. My collar bone is showing so I am at that point where I am good with the weight.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow. You are right - I am 5'8" and weighed in at 166.2 this week, and I'm in a size 14!! I am obviously all fat and no muscle.

You look fantastic!!!

nsjx 09-01-2010 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Not Giselle (Post 13850112)
Wow. You are right - I am 5'8" and weighed in at 166.2 this week, and I'm in a size 14!! I am obviously all fat and no muscle.

You look fantastic!!!

Wow!! What a difference muscle make. At 203 lb I was a size 14. I have always worked out so I guess that may be the difference. I love strength training and I build muscles quickly. I prefer strength training over cardio but I do incorporate both.

Not Giselle 09-01-2010 05:05 PM

I have always been a couch potato. Even when I was thin, I was never fit.

I am just now learning HOW to exercise to build muscle. I've literally started on the "kid workout" videos. :blush:

msawhitt 09-01-2010 05:31 PM

Clothing sizes are ridiculous....I am hovering between 165 and 170 (missed my appointment this week because I was sick) and have jeans from size 10 to 16, and wear an XL bottom and medium top for a bathing suit. It is clearly some kind of clothing industry inside joke....

and....this might be really dense, but what the heck does "DH" stand for?? I keep thinking "dear husband" or "domestic helper"....lol!

lins 09-01-2010 06:51 PM

I am frustrated! I am going to ask the clinic to put me in transition on Friday at my appt. I still want to lose another 8-10lbs, and at least get my BMI down more, it's currently 25.1, but I am eatting too many calories right now, but I am finding myself hungry all the time. I am right around 1000 calories almost everyday, and running 4 miles every other day, with strength training or walking on the other days. I can't seem to find the motivation to drop back down to 500 calories, or to do all protein to get back into ketosis. I am still eatting protein calories and 2 veggies (rarely a fruit), and I am still eatting less than 24 carbs. I don't have a problem with this eatting, but every time I think about dropping back to 500 calories, I just get frustrated. But by the end of the day I am upset with myself for eatting 1000 calories. And so it's a rollercoaster of emotions which is just getting tiring. I don't want to keep doing this. I am having no problems whatsover maintaining my current weight of 132lbs So I think I am going to switch into transition and see what happens. If I lose more weight I am fine with that, if I stay the same I am fine with that too, I just don't want to beat myself up over it anymore. If I stay the same and in a month or so feel like kicking it up a notch to lose the last 10lbs then that's what I'll do, but until then I just can't do it anymore.

irabeslim 09-01-2010 08:42 PM

Changing my avatar!
 
I went for a weigh-in today and lost 2.6 lb for a total of 101.2 lb to date in 7 months and 10 days with 6 lb more to lose. I could not wait to get home to change my avatar. One disappointing thing that it was only 0.8 fat loss but the loss is a loss so I am celebrating. I want to reach my goal in September - but need to make sure that I am losing fat. I was becoming a little complacent lately, probably out of ketosis, that's why fat loss is not what it is used to be. Right? I should probably force myself one last time to go on week1 for a couple days. :annoyed: Will try to do it after Labor Day.

I would like to wish everyone a great Labor Day weekend. I will be in Boston vistitin my adorable 13 month old twin grandchildren. Cannot wait to play with them since I am in a much better shape:cool:

Charlene4 09-01-2010 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lins (Post 13851051)
I am frustrated! I am going to ask the clinic to put me in transition on Friday at my appt. I still want to lose another 8-10lbs, and at least get my BMI down more, it's currently 25.1, but I am eatting too many calories right now, but I am finding myself hungry all the time. I am right around 1000 calories almost everyday, and running 4 miles every other day, with strength training or walking on the other days. I can't seem to find the motivation to drop back down to 500 calories, or to do all protein to get back into ketosis. I am still eatting protein calories and 2 veggies (rarely a fruit), and I am still eatting less than 24 carbs. I don't have a problem with this eatting, but every time I think about dropping back to 500 calories, I just get frustrated. But by the end of the day I am upset with myself for eatting 1000 calories. And so it's a rollercoaster of emotions which is just getting tiring. I don't want to keep doing this. I am having no problems whatsover maintaining my current weight of 132lbs So I think I am going to switch into transition and see what happens. If I lose more weight I am fine with that, if I stay the same I am fine with that too, I just don't want to beat myself up over it anymore. If I stay the same and in a month or so feel like kicking it up a notch to lose the last 10lbs then that's what I'll do, but until then I just can't do it anymore.

I totally feel ya! That's exactly how I felt and what I ended up doing. Unfortunately...so far (since Friday), transitioning has not been any less mentally trying. I feel like I am eating too much every day. Today, I went over my 900 alotted calories by about 100-200 or so. I work out 6 days a week with cardio and weights but I have felt bloated and flabby ever since I upped my carbs and calories. Hopefully once my body gets used to it, it will improve....and my clothes are still fitting the same and I'mmeasuring the same....but when I get on the scale it's usually up 2-3 pounds from what my last weight in was....granted, I go to my appts in the am and I usually weigh at home at the end of the day but it's mentally draining. Ugh.:annoyed:

Ortal 09-02-2010 05:36 AM

same boat as you guys... 10/15 more lbs to loose but i keep going between 143 and 140. I dont understand how at1K or so calories a day its not working, and without any appetite suppressant i CANNOT do 500. Its just impossible. Even now my stomach growls all the time

lins 09-02-2010 06:03 AM

Totally off topic, but 15 yrs ago today I went on my very first date with my now husband. I was only 15 yrs old at the time. :) So I have spent half of my life with him. Crazy to think about. And we are still amazingly in love. Just wanted to share.

I have decided to do only protein today, before my weigh-in tomorrow and just see what happens when I talk to the doctor tomorrow. I don't know what to do so hopefully she'll be able to help me out.

nsjx 09-02-2010 06:12 AM

[QUOTE=lins;13851950]Totally off topic, but 15 yrs ago today I went on my very first date with my now husband. I was only 15 yrs old at the time. :) So I have spent half of my life with him. Crazy to think about. And we are still amazingly in love. Just wanted to share.

Aaawww!! So sweet.

Ortal 09-02-2010 07:47 AM

2 Attachment(s)
so i was going thtough my camera looking at Boston 2010 trips and I saw I still had Boston 2009 pictures on the same memory card. I first noticed how Im like in ZERO pics last time, and almost all of them this time that arent pictures from museums (since I took them). I also noticed how tyler and I still chop off eachothers heads in photos. I also noticed how amazing I look now and how I could slap my last year self for not realizing how I looked. I was in denial.

The full body shot (the only full body shot there is actually of the whole 2009 trip) is the most unflattering picture ever. it is NOT what I normally looked like (this came from 4 other people I showed this too, promise) and the fact I put it on the web is very scary. If i ever run for office dont use it against me!

YankeeMom27 09-02-2010 09:28 AM

went for weigh-in today..lost 3.4lbs, with 4.2lbs fat loss, but 0.6lb water gain (boo!), but happy with the fat loss! I went shopping today and got 2 new bathing suits and then went home and bagged up my bigger bathing suits and clothes for donation! SO happy!:up:

AnnK 09-02-2010 11:40 AM

At my weigh-in today I had a 3.2 lb loss ~ I'm now officially in the 120's (129.8)! A much better week than last week, but for the life of me, I don't know why.... I worked just as hard at it last week. Anyway, my total loss is now 15.6 lbs & my BMI is 23.7. Don't let anyone tell you this program doesn't work!

Charlene4 09-02-2010 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ortal (Post 13852341)
so i was going thtough my camera looking at Boston 2010 trips and I saw I still had Boston 2009 pictures on the same memory card. I first noticed how Im like in ZERO pics last time, and almost all of them this time that arent pictures from museums (since I took them). I also noticed how tyler and I still chop off eachothers heads in photos. I also noticed how amazing I look now and how I could slap my last year self for not realizing how I looked. I was in denial.

The full body shot (the only full body shot there is actually of the whole 2009 trip) is the most unflattering picture ever. it is NOT what I normally looked like (this came from 4 other people I showed this too, promise) and the fact I put it on the web is very scary. If i ever run for office dont use it against me!

You look so great!

Nance7 09-02-2010 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnK (Post 13853229)
At my weigh-in today I had a 3.2 lb loss ~ I'm now officially in the 120's (129.8)! A much better week than last week, but for the life of me, I don't know why.... I worked just as hard at it last week. Anyway, my total loss is now 15.6 lbs & my BMI is 23.7. Don't let anyone tell you this program doesn't work!

:clap: Congratulations, AnnK! I knew you when! When you were just starting out. Isn't this just amazing?

Ortal, thanks for the pics. You look amazing.

Irabeslim, wow--over 100 lbs! :notwrthy:

YankeeMom27, you are doing so well! :up:

Stacey, I think that DH means "Dear Husband" and DD means "Darling Daughter", but someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm headed out of town on Sat. for a week in an oceanfront beach cottage in NC, almost to the SC line. Since we will be with a group in one big house, my eating is going to be a challenge. I think I will do fine--it's just keeping everybody else from asking "Is that all you're eating?" "Aren't you going to eat any of this?" etc. Wish me luck!

lins 09-02-2010 06:42 PM

I ate 645 protein calories today, and drank 120oz of water. I also ran 4 miles. I weight 132lbs, and wear a size 6, yet I am still stressed out about my weight, and I am dreading going to weigh-in tomorrow. Something about all of that just doesn't seem right to me. For those of you who belive in prayer, I could really use some. Feeling totally frustrated tonight.

Sara0621 09-02-2010 06:49 PM

Hi everyone.
I'm finishing week 7 on medi. I've not lost as much as I would have hoped-- only 14.2 so far... I know everyone loses at a different pace, but I had really hoped for more. My neighbor has been doing this one week longer than me, and has lost twice as much. One of my students started around the same time and has lost 26.

I stick to the plan. I drink my water. There have been only THREE occasions in 7 weeks that I have eaten something/drank wine "off plan". I have stayed in ketosis the ENTIRE TIME.

Until this week when I had a sinus infection and was taking cough medicine. Who knew it had high fructose corn syrup in it?!?!?!?!? I couldn't figure out why I wasn't in ketosis anymore, until I happened to look at the bottle one night... I'm so angry that I've been out of ketosis for something stupid! (I mean really, I would have coughed like a seal and eaten an ice cream cone if I'd known...:rolleyes:)

So I weighed myself this morning. According to my scale, I'm about the same, if not a half pound heavier.

I hate that I feel like I have to be *absolutely perfect* on this diet for it to work! COUGH MEDICINE???? REALLY????

The first 2 weeks went really well. The third week I lost 1.8 and they said I wasn't eating ENOUGH (which turned out to be true). The fourth week I onlly lost .4, and they said I was eating too much processed protein (deli meat, etc). The 5th week I lost a big ole 3.2, which was great! Last week was only 1.5, but I felt REALLY good, so it didn't bother me. I'm upset because I know that tomorrow morning will be another not-so-spectacular week.

I worked really hard to lose 40 pounds prior to doing medi. I completely changed my life. Then I plateaued for 8 months, and decided to do medi to lost another 45 or so. I guess I just thought it would work quickly (like so many people I've heard) and I'm frustrated because I really do stick to it. AND I own up to it when I haven't. I'm beginning to think the staff at the clinic suspects I'm lying about what I eat, and that's just not true.

I'm down 50 pounds from my highest. Which is great. But the thought of needing to drop another 30 or 40 (and it not happening "medi-quick") makes me want to cry.

Ok, thanks for letting me vent. Hope everyone has a good September.

Fit2010 09-02-2010 11:09 PM

Sara0621 and Lins - You sound like so many of us with the different weight loss "phases" of this MWL program and how it affected us, me particularly. If you want to lose quicker I'd recommend cutting out cheese and all milk products. When I did that recently I dropped quickly again for a while and got to goal. To satisfy the "fat" need I personally have been eating nuts....but that may be better at the near and at goal phase than just into acute phase. Milk can cause some inflammation, inflammation causes water retention, water retention causes weight gain. This is my personal observation.

That being said, with the allergy elimination diet that I'm on I'm allowed eggs and other things, but I do not take the time to cook in the AM before I leave the house. I prefer something quick. I'm told by my allergist "no preservatives, simple carbs, processed foods" and that limits breakfast choices QUITE a BIT! So, nuts are handy and portable. And I like them. Because they have natural good fat they also fill me up and it lasts.

Hope you all have a safe and wonderful Labor Day weekend with your loved ones and friends!

AnnK 09-03-2010 04:14 AM

Thanks, Nancy for the encouragement! Have a wonderful time on your trip the beach next week ~ sounds like a lot of fun. One of the things I spoke about with my Medi dietician yesterday is how learning to NOT let people pressure or influence our habits (eating, exercise, and otherwise) becomes an integral part of this program. It's another habit I've had to work hard on (not feeling like I'm insulting someone or hurting their feelings). They mean well, but I (and you) know what is the right way to go. I think next time we visit my in-laws I'll have a memorized "script" to keep repeating to the well-meaning who keep trying to get me to eat their high carb, high calorie, high fat foods... basically a dressed up "No thank you" with a smile.;) Best of luck ~ you can do it!!

nsjx 09-03-2010 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlene4 (Post 13851364)
I totally feel ya! That's exactly how I felt and what I ended up doing. Unfortunately...so far (since Friday), transitioning has not been any less mentally trying. I feel like I am eating too much every day. Today, I went over my 900 alotted calories by about 100-200 or so. I work out 6 days a week with cardio and weights but I have felt bloated and flabby ever since I upped my carbs and calories. Hopefully once my body gets used to it, it will improve....and my clothes are still fitting the same and I'mmeasuring the same....but when I get on the scale it's usually up 2-3 pounds from what my last weight in was....granted, I go to my appts in the am and I usually weigh at home at the end of the day but it's mentally draining. Ugh.:annoyed:

Charlene, are the 900 alotted calories protein calories only - not counting vege, etc. or is it all combined calories?

mommy2princesses 09-03-2010 06:18 AM

Quick question for all the experts.....Almond Milk, OK in acute phase? (Not to drink a glass of, but more to put in my coffee...I don't like the SF coffee mate). And if its ok - which one? Unsweetened? Original? Vanilla flavored?

Thanks all!

msawhitt 09-03-2010 08:00 AM

So, after missing my appointment on Wednesday from being sick, I decided to go today since I am headed to Tampa for the weekend. I only lost 0.2 pounds, but I'm actually pleasantly surprised! I definitely indulged last weekend for my daughters birthday, was sick and not taking supplements or eating correctly for 3 more days, then didn't have enough AS to get me through Wednesday and ended up with a big 'ole turkey sandwich (bread and all) on my plate for dinner. So, all that considered, staying right about the same sits well with me. I go back next Wednesday, but have to miss another appointment the following week since we will be on vacation in Ft. Lauderdale. I saw the travel tips forum, if anyone has anything else to add to it I would love all the advice I can prepare myself with! We will have a full kitchen, but it's not like I will be just hanging out in the condo all day- it is still a vacation. Drinking is a HUGE issue for me, not in an alcoholic way, but our family is all very social drinkers, and I do enjoy joining them. I'm *hoping* to make it the week with maybe only 1 or 2 drinks, but we'll see : )

Hope everyone on the coast is staying safe from the storm!! My Mom lives near the outer banks of NC, and has reported mostly wind and rain, and nothing too severe and no damage. Hopefully the story stays the same for everyone!!

Charlene4 09-03-2010 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mommy2princesses (Post 13855672)
Quick question for all the experts.....Almond Milk, OK in acute phase? (Not to drink a glass of, but more to put in my coffee...I don't like the SF coffee mate). And if its ok - which one? Unsweetened? Original? Vanilla flavored?

Thanks all!

I'm not an expert but I used Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Breeze throughout acute in my protein shakes. I don't really drink coffee but I assume it would be good. The sweetened (in all brands I've seen) has a good deal of sugar in it, so I would steer clear of that and just use a little splenda (or other SF sweetener) instead.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:31 PM.