Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2010, 11:39 AM   #421
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnK
Stats: 5'2" 133/133/115
WOE: MediWeightLoss
Start Date: 7/22/14
Maybe it's been the rain & clouds this week, but my motivation to exercise has been low... I've been doing just what I need to do to not feel guilty. That said, I weighed in today & was down 1.8 pounds ~ enough to get me to -20.8 total and I'm now below my mini goal of 125! Similar to some of you, though, I'm not pleased with parts of my body that looked much better when I weighed 125 thirty years ago... like, what are these "wings" doing under my upper arms??

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2010, 11:42 AM   #422
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Divadeb
Stats: 213/192.6/150
WOE: Medi
Start Date: 9/29/10 restart 2/14/11
Hello all...
Just started Medi, and spent a lot of time these past two days reading through posts. What a great support network you have here. I hope to have great success with the program and one day be able to inspire and advise people as so many of you have done here.

Two brand new personal epiphanies to share:
I was IMing with my sister yesterday (who lost 70lbs through WW 2 years ago, and is back up 20). We got on the topic of addictions, and I had an "ah ha" moment. Food is my addiction. I've never smoked or had issues with substance of alcohol abuse, but many of my family members have. In fact, of the five sibs in my family, three struggle with tobacco and alcohol (and other substances in the past), and two (my sister and I) struggle with food. Coincidence? I think not.

I don't know if there is any scientific basis for the concept of "addictive personalities", but I do know that my sibs and I share a common upbringing of two parents that smoked and drank a lot. Not to a debilitating extent, but significant, and enough to make a lasting impression on us all. We've all managed our lives in much the same way - none of us has completely "hit bottom" with our individual addictions, but we all (at one time or another) have teetered on the edge.

My relationship with food has been unhealthy my whole life, but my weight stuggle is relatively recent - I could stuff my face and not worry until I was about 35, when I got pregnant with my older daughter and was diagnosed with thyroid disease. The last 10 years my weight has slowly crept up and up and up. But the past 10 years I've blamed my thyroid (@#$% thyroid!) and never stopped to examine my behavior before the medical condition was introduced. The denial of one addicted can be a powerful thing.

Second epiphany - I was driving with said 10 year old daughter last night and told her that I had a headache because I had started a new weight loss program. Her response was "Mom, you tried points, cookies and now this. When are you going to just lose the weight?" Here I am, teaching my daughters the same addictive lesson I learned as a child. But instead of leaving cigarettes burning in ashtrays all over the house like my mother did, I bring home take-out 4 - 5 nights a week, binge on SmartFood and chips, and just continue to get bigger and bigger. In fact, she was munching on a taco from Taco Bell when we had the conversation.

I need to do this for me, and I need to do this for my daughters (10 and 7). I need to break the chain of addition and through my journey, teach them to love and respect themselves and their bodies through a healthy diet and lifestyle.

Thanks for letting me share. I'm very excited and optimistic, and your success stories and encouragement have already helped me in my recovery.

Best,
Deb
Old 09-30-2010, 11:58 AM   #423
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Desert-Rose7
Stats: 5'11"/262/150/150
Start Date: 12/19/08 in Wellness since 09/03/2009
~divadeb~ You have learned the first lesson. Food can be and is an addiction for many people, and has the same debilitating effects on your health as other addictions.

Commit 100% to this program, body, mind and heart and you will be successful. It is most definitely a major lifestyle change, one that you are making for the rest of your life on this planet.

Hang in there, continue the dedication you show today and you will most definitely be successful.

Jo
Old 09-30-2010, 12:10 PM   #424
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lins
WOE: Medi-weightloss
Start Date: 1/12/14
Food is totally an addiction to some. I am fighting that addiction right now and it's awful. I have moment where I think I "deserve" to eat Carbs (ie sweets) because I ran 8 miles, or because I have lost all this weight, but what I now know is that, I am giving food power over my happiness and that's just silly. I need to learn to just be proud of my accomplishments and not reward myself with eating junk that doesn't help my body. Plus when I do give in to the temptation it just makes me want them more (thus the addiction). and the cycle continues.

Mary thank you so much for you words. They really rang true with me. My mom was really never heavy (maybe 20lbs here or there, but never REALLY heavy), but she was ALWAYS on a diet. Sometimes she would clear the pantry of anything "junk" related and only cook healthy, and then other times she would have lots of junk and "not care", which is now what I am battling. Plus she was never happy with herself or her body image. I don't want to live that way and I don't want my kids to see me do it either.

I want to find a balance between eating healthy 98% of the time, and having a small treat on a rare special occasion. This eating too much junk for one week and then going to week one eating the next week isn't helping my attitude.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:24 PM   #425
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: diertac
Stats: 196.6/167.2/155
WOE: MWL
Start Date: 09/21/10
In Sunday's "Parade" magazine there was an article about Drew Carey's weight loss. He was doing great until he allowed himself a treat that turned into a two day pizza binge. They write that since then, he's posted this above his bathroom mirror:

"Eating crappy food is not a reward - it's a punishment."

I'm thinking my bathroom mirror needs to have that too.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:46 PM   #426
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mommy2princesses
Stats: Ht 5'7'' 259.6/156/165
WOE: Medi Weight Loss
Start Date: May 11, 2010
Food is definitely my addiction too. It has been a "reward" for me, it has been a "comfort" for me, something to "do" when bored, the center of social events, and the list goes on. I NEED to break that cycle, not only for me - but for my 2 little girls so that they don't enter into that cycle. My mom too has always been on a diet. As a young child, my mom was very heavy. She TRIED everything out there too (and numerous times I might add) until on her own when I was in high school she went low-fat and exercise and dropped 60+lbs. She has kept probably 55 of it off for 15 years now, but food and exercise has always been at the forefront of most of her days. It is a cycle, a bad cycle, and I don't want to pass it down to my girls.

I want to get to a healthy weight, where I can teach my girls that with moderation and exercise those special treats are OK.

This has been a lifelong issue for me - I've always been heavy, would do some kind of diet, lose weight then balloon right back up. It wasn't until my 1st daughter that the weight just kept going up and up and up. This is my addiction - and I know I will struggle with it everyday for the rest of my life - but its one that I can control....its one that I WILL control.

Over 100lbs. GONE FOREVER
Thanks to MWL!
8 months to Wellness....5/11/10 - 1/11/11
Old 09-30-2010, 01:20 PM   #427
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mary T8M
Stats: 5'2" 228/144/125 good-bye 150's
WOE: LC/LF/LCal (medi)
Start Date: 4/23/10
I'm so glad I didn't step too hard on any toes, because that was NEVER my intention! I love everyone on these boards. Spending time with my son's beautiful family brought many things into perspective for me. My daughter in law used to be VERY concerned with her looks (she's very pretty) but now after having a baby just 6 short months ago, having 2 surgeries in 3 weeks, being diagnosed with a very aggressive ovarian cancer, having 2 rounds of chemo, losing all of her hair, being bloated from the steriods.....I really see that beauty is more than skin deep. She would give ANYTHING to be healthy again! and I would give anything FOR her to be healthy again.
My son told me how sad it made him when he was about 7 because he couldn't do anything to help me lose weight and make me happy! Remember children believe that the world revolves around them and that they are responsible for everything.........including their parents happiness! That is just one of the normal stages of development that all children go through. He is almost 33 yrs old now and still remembers how he felt!
I don't know that I'm addicted to food......but I did use food for everything! I ate when bored, happy, sad, as a reward, as entertainment. I think ALL of our entertainment revolved around food! Even going to a concert or comedy club meant going out to eat first! Any get together had food! I believe that the great variety of food made my life more difficult, because I wanted to try it all.......I HATE feeling like I'm missing out on something. Food certainly isn't as much fun, or as interesting as it used to be......but that's OK! I wish I would have realized this when MY kids were young. I have fears that I have shaped them in ways that I NEVER wanted to

Mary T8M (Tatem)

New member of the 80 pounds gone club

Whether you think you can, or you can't, either way you're right!
Henry Ford

Last edited by Mary T8M; 09-30-2010 at 01:22 PM..
Old 09-30-2010, 01:27 PM   #428
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mary T8M
Stats: 5'2" 228/144/125 good-bye 150's
WOE: LC/LF/LCal (medi)
Start Date: 4/23/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by diertac View Post
Mary, God bless you for that wonderful post. We can stand to learn self-acceptance as well as a better way of eating. And you wouldn't happen to be related to an Amy "T8M" that lives down there in Florida, would you?
Gosh I thought my family was the "only" ones out there using T8M!
I don't think we're related! I have Abby, & Zach. Then my DH Bill, and DIL Courtney, and Granddaughter Olivia.....we all use T8M! Where does Amy live? Small world!
Old 09-30-2010, 04:58 PM   #429
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: madmax79
Stats: 5'11" - 223/204/190
Start Date: 23 SEP 10
Had my first weigh-in and was a little disappointed. I lost 9 lbs but they said it was all FFM (NO FAT). They also measured my waist and I lost 2 inches so I'm kinda confused. I asked them about it and they said "don't get discouraged". And that last time I weighed in the afternoon and today was first thing in the morning. They said measuring at the same time of the day would be more accurate so I scheduled my next appt for the a.m.

I'm also going to try some upper body exercises in addition to my normal walking routine. Hope it helps. I really want to make a permanent change to my body and not get discouraged this early.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:56 PM   #430
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lins
WOE: Medi-weightloss
Start Date: 1/12/14
Madmax don't get discouraged, those scales aren't always accurate. A few weeks ago according to the scale I had lost 11lbs of fat, but was up 10lbs of water.......ya I don't think that's right, and even the doctor said something was up, but I got on the scale twice and it said the same thing. So just be happy with a loss for now and don't worry so much about the fat and FFM numbers. It all evens out.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:01 PM   #431
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mommy2princesses
Stats: Ht 5'7'' 259.6/156/165
Start Date: May 11, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary T8M View Post
Food certainly isn't as much fun, or as interesting as it used to be......but that's OK!

Food certainly isn't as much fun....but Wow, shopping is SO MUCH MORE FUN!!! Now that the weather is changing, I literally have NO clothes that fit me (ok, I do have 1 pair of size 12 jeans that I had held on to, plus probably 9 or 10 sweaters that MIGHT fit...but nothing 3/4 or long sleeved) so I've been doing some shopping. Went to the Gap and the Loft today - bought a few things, can I just tell you how great it felt to shop today!?!? My mom was with me and she keeps telling me I need my mind to catch up with my body - I consistently bring in 14's and XL's to the dressing room and all she is doing is going back for 12's and L's. I even needed a medium in 1 shirt! I bought a really nice skirt and sweater today (not that I have anywhere to where it!) but I felt so good in it (and Gap had 30% off today, so I rationalized it!). Driving home my mom told me to remember how good I felt in the dressing room today, and the feeling of liking just about everything I put on, and to think about that each time I wanted to splurge on food. She's a smart woman!

Tonight I went to a friends house for our "book club". We haven't gotten together since May. (Really, its 5 girls who basically use the excuse of having read the same book to get together once a month. We talk about the book for about 15 minutes, then chit chat for another 2 hours!). I hadn't seen 2 of the girls at all over the summer....they were shocked when I walked in. That felt so GOOD! And then when I passed on wine or chips/salsa they all complimented my "willpower". So, all in all, today was a good day - despite the weather keeping me from walking, and I think it might tomorrow as well. Perhaps a Wii workout with Jillian will do for tomorrow instead!

Last edited by mommy2princesses; 09-30-2010 at 07:02 PM..
Old 09-30-2010, 10:00 PM   #432
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Desert-Rose7
Stats: 5'11"/262/150/150
Start Date: 12/19/08 in Wellness since 09/03/2009
Come on over to the new October thread! I have asked the moderators to lock this one, as September is now over!

*Outstandingly Outrageous October 4 MWL*

Jo
Closed Thread