Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2010, 06:20 PM   #361
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SDC2
Stats: 5' 7.5" 218/150/155 Maintenance
WOE: Medi-Weightloss
Start Date: November 20, 2008
Stacey,

My loyalty is first and formost with fellow strugglers; my desire to help others achieve what I did is why I took the job. I was a patient first and I am speaking here as a fellow patient.

I feel better knowing you have a maintenance plan and a means of accountability. If I were you I would at least do the initial maintenance appointment where they measure your BMR using the revue machine and get all thewritten maintenance materials. WW is so flexible (I've done it many times) that if you wanted to, you could do the Medi maintenance plan within the WW plan and use the WW meetings for accountability. That would provide a little more structure within the WW plan, which I personally think is lacking due to the flexibility (just my opinion). The accountability is key.

The big mistake I see from patients is that they quit the second they hit goal to save money without having/learning a maintenance plan, only to come back 3-6 months later with a significant gain and having gone back to their old eating habits. So, instead of paying for the once a month maintenance appointments for a few months, they end up paying for the weekly acute appointments all over again. In the long run they do not save any money.

I know some think Medi is expensive, but I spent $2500 to lose 68 pounds and keep it off for 15 months. For me this was money well spent. And now I save $$ eating out because my husband and I split meals which is a much cheaper way to dine. My husband and I are also on fewer meds which means fewer visits to the Dr.

Whatever you decide to do I wish you the best, and stay in touch so we know how you are doing.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2010, 06:37 PM   #362
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by irabeslim View Post
What I see in the postings all the time: a lot of people (even successful and knowledgeble MWL dieters) when they overindulge, they go on week 1 plan (cure-all panacia). I did it myself at least 5 times during my 8 months weight loss endeavour. I reached my original goal but decided to lower it another 5 lb. But instead of sticking to the plan to achieve this goal I had the worst weekend and of course, I am putting myself on week one today. I am worried that this is shaping to be a viscuos cycle for years to come. I am sure it is not healthy, but I seem to be doing it all the time and I am not alone. I know we need to train our brains and I am trying to do it but IT DOES WORK YET FOR ME. I fail miserably every time I am out of my routine, etc. I am hoping for a word of wisdom from our veterans. Are you doing thie week one also? Please, help.
I'm not sure why you think occassionally purging yourself of carbs is so unhealthy. I do a full week of week 1 if I am recovering from an indulgent vacation or holiday eating. I find it resets my appetite, gets rid of cravings and puts me back on the right track, and helps me to drop the unwanted pounds. During this time I make sure I am taking a good multi vitamin, calcium, D3, B6, B12, and an omega suppliment.

Other than those occassions, I follow the maintenance plan as my WOE. I weigh every day as suggested in the maintenance materials, and if my weight starts to go up more than a pound or two I cut back on carbs and eat mostly protein and low glycemic, high fiber veggies until I get it back under control.

I had blood work done just a few months ago and my doctor was amazed at how good everything looked. My good cholesterol went from 63 to 91, which according to her, is very hard to do. My triglycerides went from over 200 to 50.

I am not a doctor, but try to keep up with the latest research. If you know of a study suggesting this WOE as harmful, please let me know. I do not want to put anyone in harms way.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:43 PM   #363
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: msawhitt
Stats: 220/130/145
WOE: Medi
Start Date: August 11, 2010
That's an interesting thought Susie- to do "both". It was kind of the idea that I had, that I would stick close to the Medi/low-carb principles and use the points system to help me calculate "cheats" and give me a little more flexibility when on the road or eating out (which is more often than I am home, so having more healthy choices would be such a big help down the road). I KNOW that I need a plan to stay on track that includes some kind of meetings or in-person appointments, I'm trying to build the right plan right now that I am a little over a month from reaching my goal weight. I don't mind spending money, but I am exploring all of my options and if I can come up with a reasonable and smart plan that will save money I want to go that route. I also like the WW membership since you can go to as many meetings as you want, so if I am struggling through a certain week I could just plan to go to a few meetings to help me.

I think I am going to talk to my clinic on Wednesday and just be honest with what I am thinking right now. Although I might not be at my exact goal weight by then, I think I am going to set a "date" of the end of October to be done with weekly visits.

As a counselor- is there any benefit to continuing with a monthly Medi visit if I am going to another means of accountability (such as WW)? I will get the maintenance materials from then before I finish with my weekly visits, would there be any additional materials or supplements I would get if I continued to visit monthly?

lost 45 pounds in 3 months with MWL!

total loss of 90 pounds since May 2010

In maintenance : )
Old 09-27-2010, 07:04 PM   #364
Major LCF Poster!

Stacey,

As long as you get the Medi maintenance plan which tells you how many carbs, what kind of carbs, what time is best to eat them, how to incorporate occassional treats, exercise, psychological tips, ... I think you could be perfectly successful following the Medi maintenance plan and doing your weigh-ins at WW.

My only fear in doing WW, without mind to the Medi Maintenance plan, is from my own experience, you can eat a whole lot of carbs within their point system if that is most of what you eat. Bad carbs have a way of sneaking back in and all the old cravings are soon to follow. I was a master at playing games with their point system and failed miserably once they went to their most flexible plan.

What you won't get are the Medi suppliments (including Medi Melts, and a hoodia product they have for maintainers), the vitamin B shots, and the maintenance/wellness counseling.

I hope this helps.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:50 PM   #365
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Fit2010
Stats: Ht 5'3" Wt 12/09=190;9/10=137;2/14=196.5
WOE: MediWeightLoss-like/Atkins-like
Start Date: 12-28-09; restart 02-07-14
Susie - Thanks for always checking in on us! We love having you here and I know you're an amazing counselor! I wrote up and turned in my MWL testimonial today that Jerry wanted me to write. Now I need to work on my arms in the next few wks before they have a photo shoot. I still have trouble believing my own reflection!

I went to my "upscale Goodwill" today and bought 5 pairs of jeans and a pair of slacks, spent less than $27 (The brands included Express, Gap, Levis); and they were size 6's and a very tight size 4 that I hope feels better come Spring. Craziness!!
Old 09-28-2010, 05:34 AM   #366
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ortal
Stats: 184/138/120 5'5"
Start Date: 4/26/2010
I need to share this with someone... I know I havent been on the medi bandwagon that much but I have 'e-relationships' with many of you so I need to vent.

Idk what happened last night but i lost my mind. Ive been incorporating granola bars (fiber one, etc) into my diet and it works pretty well, and brakes up the manotony. Well, last night I was cooking for the week which I often do mondays, since tuesdays and wednesdays I am not home and this allows me to not eat out as much.

I made smashed cauliflower, these mini-meatloaf things with lean turkey and chicken and TVP, and some chicken. I portioned it out into a few days worth like i normally do and put it away and ate my dinner.

then i began to eat more. and more. and more. I was eating when i felt really full. actually, drinking soup/fruit has kept me from feeling much hunger at all recently. IDK what happened last night. I ended up getting sick twice. I felt so gross. I tallied the 'damage' and it really wasnt that bad calorie wise, but i felt like I had no control over my eating and it was EXACTLY how I used to act, just with low fat and low carb food.
I didnt have my computer at home and not having access to my calorie counter made me feel lost. this is NOT normal. I am NOT happy about this.

Then, to top it all off, i woke up in the middle of the night and went downstairs , as I so often do, and ate some more. WTH.

I feel nauseous and nasty and Tuesdays/Wednesdays are already really tough from me because I work 8-5 then have class 530-8. I dont like this feeling and I know I didnt eat 3500 calories, but I feel huge. This isnt my first day of overeating since starting medi, but the sense of chaos that I felt was uncontrollable. Now I truly understand people whose body rebels against a diet that is too strict. My computer and phone were at work and not having that accountability( my calorie counter/tracker) made me panic.

Today, lots of water, not eating till Im hungry (physically), and for the love of God please let me not get up again tonight. I had a sleep study scheduled to address this and it was canceled.

*bangs head against the wall* Ortal you are SO CLOSE DO NOT EFF THIS UP

Mini Goal - 130 by 10/30
Ultimate Goal - 120 by the end of the year.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:13 AM   #367
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tydreamer
WOE: Medi Weight Loss
Start Date: 2/10/10
Ortal, it's okay. You're going to be okay. We've all had days like that and moments of being utterly out of control. The fact is, almost EVERY day used to be like that for most of us. So if you've only had a day or two of that SINCE you've been on Medi, you're truly doing great. Don't forget to look how far you've come getting so caught up in how bad you feel about your one day of craziness. And even if that day extends a day or two more, you're still going to get your senses back and feel in control again. You will. You just will. Be patient with yourself and tell yourself that wasn't what you MEANT to do and now you'll try harder again for a while.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:00 AM   #368
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: monica2010
Stats: 231/176/130
WOE: Medi Weight loss
Start Date: July 2010
I have been on the MWL program for 9 weeks now. I have lost 36.8lbs. and feel amazing. I still have a long way to go, but I can't imagine going back to my previous weight. Yersterday I ran into a friend of mine that had done MWL before. She had lost 65lbs and looked great. However once she reached her goal weight she stopped going to MWL. After about a 15 months she has gained almost all the weight back. She told me that she was going back to MWL. At first, I just told her that it was the right decision and that she could do it again! I didn't want to say anything to hurt her feelings, because I know she feels awful. But how can you loose all that weight and gain it all back after all the work and dedication? I told her that even though I wasn't even close to maintenance I could see how important it was to finish the program so that we could learn how to enjoy a treat, and get back to healthy eating again. When I look at healthy looking people I see how they make right choices when it comes to food, not to lose weight but because they are conscious about what they put in their bodies. I just hope that once I finish the program I will be one of those people, and will put myself first over food.
Forgive me if I sound like I'm judging her (perhaps I am) but I don't know if it was fear on my side or because I'm not at that point I don't understand how difficult it could be to be on your own without the accountability.
Thanks
Monica

Last edited by monica2010; 09-28-2010 at 07:35 AM..
Old 09-28-2010, 07:23 AM   #369
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tydreamer View Post
Ortal, it's okay. You're going to be okay. We've all had days like that and moments of being utterly out of control. The fact is, almost EVERY day used to be like that for most of us. So if you've only had a day or two of that SINCE you've been on Medi, you're truly doing great. Don't forget to look how far you've come getting so caught up in how bad you feel about your one day of craziness. And even if that day extends a day or two more, you're still going to get your senses back and feel in control again. You will. You just will. Be patient with yourself and tell yourself that wasn't what you MEANT to do and now you'll try harder again for a while.
thank you leah its not so much the calories its the feeling of eat-till-im stuffed-and keep-eating feeling i had. and im SO EMOTIONALLY ATTACHED to my calorie counter that i felt insane without it. i hate it. i HATE it. but i know ill be better today.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:27 AM   #370
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: loyemarie
Stats: 5'7"~258/226.2/170
WOE: MWL
Start Date: September 8, 2010
I need to "weigh" in here with some un-asked-for advice, since I've been down a similar road before. I so agree with Susie about WW being a good WOE for those who don't spend their points on carbs all the time, which I always did, being an addict :blush: The meetings can be very helpful ( I wish Medi had something like that!) and the accountability is essential. IF you can keep it on the low carb side, I think the Medi/WW combo is a great idea...
But let me add a caution. I lost 100 pounds in 6 months about 6 years ago on Medifast, then when I was at goal, thought I could figure out maintenance on my own. Bad idea! Not only did I slip right back into my old habits, one box of chocolate candy at the movies sent me to the hospital with pancreatitis and I came home minus a gallbladder. To eat small amounts of good high protein/low fat foods is awesomely healthy, but going back to high fat/sugar foods sends your body into shock - and can make you very sick.
Personally, I am committed to see this out to the end. The money saved isn't worth it.

JMHO from my own experience,

loyemarie
Old 09-28-2010, 09:16 AM   #371
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: madmax79
Stats: 5'11" - 223/204/190
Start Date: 23 SEP 10
Hi, I just started MWL on the 24th. My first weigh-in is Thurs and I think I'n doing good so far. I had a couple dizzy spells since starting and occasional muscle cramps. I get at leat the 128 oz of fluids daily. Most is water and a couple zero cal electrolyte drinks. I went in for my mid-week shot yesterday and they told me to up it to 3 electrolyte drinks a day.

I started MWL because I'm in the military and have to weigh-in every 6 months. I'm 5'11" and am usually around 225 lbs but I diet down to about 215 to pass the body fat test ( I always fail the weight). They use a circumference method and I end up just making it at 26%.

I'd really like to get off the rollercoaster and make a permanent change so I can pass the weight part and not need the body fat test. I think there is a stigma associated with the body fat test and I've been stuck at the same rank for a long time while watching thinner Soldiers get promoted ahead of me.

I have to weigh under 194 to pass the military weigh-in so I set my goal at 190 (for now). My first MWL weight was 223 so we'll see the progress on Thursday.

For fitness, I walk 3-5 miles a day (my walking partner is in my avatar).

I'm really glad I found this forum. Lots of great advice/insight and recipe ideas to keep it from getting boring.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:21 AM   #372
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: diertac
Stats: 196.6/167.2/155
Start Date: 09/21/10
Hey madmax79, congrats on starting Medi!

One thing that will help with the dizzy spells and muscle cramps, if you get sick of the electrolyte drinks, is the College Inn Low Sodium/Fat Chicken Broth. I bought a quart of it but resisted drinking it until I got really sick/dehydrated on my walk. My husband made me drink a mug of it, and I have to say, it was filling and really helped instantly! I drank the entire box over the course of that day.

You have an excellent walking partner! We lost our dog to cancer earlier this year, but after my half marathon, we're getting a puppy, who I hope will become MY new walking partner!
Old 09-28-2010, 09:28 AM   #373
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Charlene4
Stats: 154.5/135/135
WOE: vegan/vegetarian
Start Date: June 7,2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortal View Post
thank you leah its not so much the calories its the feeling of eat-till-im stuffed-and keep-eating feeling i had. and im SO EMOTIONALLY ATTACHED to my calorie counter that i felt insane without it. i hate it. i HATE it. but i know ill be better today.
I had a similar night last night. I have been doing pretty well lately with maintaining. I was making brownies for a work thing last night...which I made low fat (my co-workers don't need to know that, I snuck it in)...anyway, I was doing well until I was frosting them. I ended up eating about 2 serving of the frosting and probably about 1.5 brownies worth of crumbs. Then, later, I had a finished product. Calorie wise, it didn't really put me over the limit because I had gone easy the entire first portional of the day....but I felt horrible and still kinda do. I "lost control". It doesn't help that I have been really busy lately and have had a death of someone close to me that has caused me to be really touching lately on top of missing my re-scheduled appt last week....it was re-scheduled from the previous week where I just forgot about my appt. Ugh. It sucks. Like Ortal, I know I didn't eat 3500 calories or anything but it sucks. It wasn't even worth it. That is the first time that I have eaten something "bad" that was unplanned or "not worth it". I mean, they were good brownies but not good enough to feel so bad about. I really need to get back in to my clinic but my schedule and personal events have no allowed me time for much of anything. :blush:

maintenance
Old 09-28-2010, 09:34 AM   #374
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: diertac
Stats: 196.6/167.2/155
Start Date: 09/21/10
Great Advice...

I was psyched after my first weigh-in and follow-up visit today. Not from the pounds lost (although I was really psyched by that), but because the counselor, within 2 minutes of meeting me, pointed out what has derailed me for so long with losing weight. I wanted to share it here, because it resonated with me.

I had a really good first weigh in, down 11.8! As we went over my food journal, she asked me about hunger. I told her I was starving most days by 6PM. So she suggested we add 100 calories of protein to my daily intake.

Then I asked her what my upper limit of carbs should be. She had noted my excessively anal (my words, she used nicer ones) journaling, including counting of carb grams and all sorts of notes in the margins earlier.

She said, "Don't worry about counting your carbs right now. Eat the allowed foods from the list, and get in your minimum number of protein calories. You're trying to be an overachiever here, and the thing is there is no stopping hunger when it starts. You shouldn't be starving, because if you are, you might be able to hold out for one week, but one day you're going to cave because nothing is stronger than hunger."

But the most amazing part was this: "Hunger is important, we don't want to train you to view hunger as this evil thing. You should eat something from the allowed list when you're hungry. Eventually when we get you to maintenance we're going to train you to recognize hunger and only eat when you're hungry. But don't ignore hunger. People who have trained themselves to ignore hunger, and who view it as something evil and terrible, are the ones who have eating disorders."

That really resonated with me. I've done Weight Watchers, and while the group meetings were good, I think that sitting down one-on-one with a counselor who shares this kind of wisdom each and every week, helps reset my mentality. I have to say, that bit of advice from this morning was well worth the $70 this week!
Old 09-28-2010, 01:08 PM   #375
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnK
Stats: 5'2" 130/127/115
WOE: MediWeightLoss
Start Date: 7/19/10 and 8/27/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlene4 View Post
I had a similar night last night. I have been doing pretty well lately with maintaining. I was making brownies for a work thing last night...which I made low fat (my co-workers don't need to know that, I snuck it in)...anyway, I was doing well until I was frosting them. I ended up eating about 2 serving of the frosting and probably about 1.5 brownies worth of crumbs. Then, later, I had a finished product. Calorie wise, it didn't really put me over the limit because I had gone easy the entire first portional of the day....but I felt horrible and still kinda do. I "lost control". It doesn't help that I have been really busy lately and have had a death of someone close to me that has caused me to be really touching lately on top of missing my re-scheduled appt last week....it was re-scheduled from the previous week where I just forgot about my appt. Ugh. It sucks. Like Ortal, I know I didn't eat 3500 calories or anything but it sucks. It wasn't even worth it. That is the first time that I have eaten something "bad" that was unplanned or "not worth it". I mean, they were good brownies but not good enough to feel so bad about. I really need to get back in to my clinic but my schedule and personal events have no allowed me time for much of anything. :blush:
Oh Charlene ~ I just had to jump in here. There's a recurring theme here among this group of wonderful women I've come to feel like I know. It's perfectionism... and, as someone wise told me long ago (I've a feeling I'm a bunch older than you ) none of us on Earth are perfect! But, for some reason, women are really good at beating ourselves up when we make the slightest slip... caring for children & DH, keeping a clean house, looking pretty, losing weight... admit it, most of us believe in our brains that we're supposed to do it all and do it well ALL of the time. We know that's impossible, but it's all learned somewhere & is so hard to re-learn that we're still okay when we drop the ball sometimes. I'm working on it, but like this program, it's day by day and it's hard work. You are such a smart person & I value the advice you share here... plus you've plenty of reasons for eating that brownie last night (GOD that sounds good!!) My good thoughts go out to you in this stressful time. It WILL get better!
Old 09-28-2010, 01:50 PM   #376
Senior LCF Member

idk whats with me and this serious, SERIOUS obsession with eating/thinking about eating. Ortal, you are not hungry. stop it. stop thinking about it. I guess old habits die hard.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:46 PM   #377
Senior LCF Member

And just today, after telling Ortal to be good to herself, I had one of those afternoons. Not horrible. I'm at 1355 calories for the day, but I lost control. I had a huge handful of nuts and that just triggered me I guess. Then I had my lunch and topped it off with an apple and peanut butter. I've only had two meals so far today (and feel I should stop there because of the calories), but you can tell by the number of calories how much peanut butter I must have had. I know, I know, how long have I been fussing about my weakness with this one? And truthfully, after I was done eating, I was stuffed and didn't even feel very well. I could have had some pretty good meals and super healthy, filling foods for 1,300 calories. Too bad I made such poor choices today.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:49 PM   #378
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mommy2princesses
Stats: Ht 5'7'' 259.6/156/165
Start Date: May 11, 2010
Wow, I haven't had a chance to check in for the last few days, but you all could've written how I'm feeling right now. I had my weigh in today, down 1 lb. So, in the last 3 weeks - I've lost 3.5 lbs. Yes, I know - its still a loss. But, $85 x 3 weeks and sticking to plan...for 3.5 lbs?? Aggravating. The counselor was really nice about it today, reminding me that I've lost almost 72 lbs...not to give up now. But, I'm frustrated. And, I'm at a weight I haven't been at in almost 7 years. I'm wearing some 12's and 14's, and L/XL tops. I really really like how I am right now - my energy and my ability to shop WHEREVER I want. I know I still need to lose, and still WANT to lose 25-30 more...but I'm just really frustrated. I want to see the light at the end of the tunnel! The counselor suggested I've hit a plateau, that I need to change up my exercise routine - which is hard to do since my husband is away every week from Sunday night until Friday night, and I have a 5 and 2 yr old. There's only so much I can do! She also looked over my food journal and noted how I tend to eat the exact same sources of protein (eggs, chicken, turkey, steak) and really need to find alternate protein sources to "shake my body up a bit". What other sources she means, I have no idea!

At this rate it will take me just as long to lose the last 30 lbs as it took me to lose the first 70! And I know it goes slower as you get closer to goal - but I still have PLENTY to lose, so more than 1/2 a pound or 1 pound a week doesn't seem like too much to ask for. I'm just really aggravated today. Thanks for "listening" to my vent. When I called my husband and complained to him he asked me if I thought I was asking too much of myself, maybe this is where my body "wants to be"....hmm, not really what I wanted to hear! (Especially from him, Mr. I can eat an entire pint of Ben & Jerry's every night and not gain a pound.)

Sorry so long-winded...just had to vent!

Over 100lbs. GONE FOREVER
Thanks to MWL!
8 months to Wellness....5/11/10 - 1/11/11
Old 09-28-2010, 04:29 PM   #379
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: YankeeMom27
Stats: 181/156.8/145
WOE: Medi WeightLoss
Start Date: restart 03/29/13
Seems like we're all fighting the same demon this week....I just feel like stuffing my face today!! I made the mistake of weighing myself this morning and it looks like I gained a pound and I don't know how!! (not my TOM so that's out) I only have two days until weigh-in. I was so discouraged that I just felt like eating. I'm at the point in my weight-loss where I usually give up and then I gain everything back and then some. I REALLY don't want to do that anymore!! I still have at least 15 more pounds I like to lose. I'm finished eating for the day and tried to stick to protein only, so I'm fighting myself to stay out of the kitchen and just keep drinking water. Thank you for letting me vent as well...I really like reading everyone's posts, they really help in times like this!
Old 09-28-2010, 04:46 PM   #380
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnK
Stats: 5'2" 130/127/115
WOE: MediWeightLoss
Start Date: 7/19/10 and 8/27/12
Keri ~ I just gotta say, I love your new avatar - you look really great!!
Old 09-28-2010, 04:47 PM   #381
Major LCF Poster!

Keri,

If you feel you've hit a plateau, here are some of the strategies we suggest at our clinic...

Zig Zag your calories from day to day. Eat 500 calories one day and 900 calories the next day, so your body never knows what it is going to get.

Eat breakfast for dinner, dinner for lunch and lunch for breakfast.

Add one cheat meal per week. By this I mean don't binge, but allow yourself to have more carbs than you would normally have. Then go right back on protein the next meal. For some reason this triggers your body to react to the extra carbs and want to do something to eliminate them.

Like your counselors already mentioned, change up your exercise. If you are exercising a lot, cut it back. If you don't exercise, start, but be sure to increase your calories (about 200 additional calories for a good cardio workout).

Sometimes the plateau is for more psychological and behavioral reasons. When you like yourself again it is real easy to get sloppy with the plan. Try and refocus yourself and remember the motivation you had on day 1. Put a pair of pants you are trying to get into in a place where it is a constant reminder. Post pictures that inspire or motivate you on the fridge. Make a list of reasons you would like to finish this weightloss journey.

If you have stopped journaling, restart. Whether you think you need to journal or not, I find that journaling helps put your mind where your heart is. When I have lapsed in my journaling I find I track everything in my head the first few days, but in no time I am not longer tracking my daily calories and carbs. I start to get sloppy and start exceeding my calorie and carb targets.

Lastly, pull out your scale and measures at least once a month and recalibrate your brain about portion sizes. Sometimes my portions get smaller over time, but more often they get bigger.

As far as other protein sources, you might try seafood, lean pork or protein shakes. Eat a protein source that is a little fattier (not everyday, but once in a while to shake things up). It will also help to make this feel more like a WOL and less like a diet.

BTW... you are not alone and you are right when you say it goes slower the closer you get to goal. It took me a month to lose that last 4 pounds. Hang in there, you should be so proud of your accomplishment, but you are not done yet!!!!! We are all here to cheer you on.

Last edited by SDC2; 09-28-2010 at 04:49 PM..
Old 09-28-2010, 05:11 PM   #382
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mommy2princesses
Stats: Ht 5'7'' 259.6/156/165
Start Date: May 11, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDC2 View Post
Keri,

If you feel you've hit a plateau, here are some of the strategies we suggest at our clinic...

Zig Zag your calories from day to day. Eat 500 calories one day and 900 calories the next day, so your body never knows what it is going to get.

Eat breakfast for dinner, dinner for lunch and lunch for breakfast.

Add one cheat meal per week. By this I mean don't binge, but allow yourself to have more carbs than you would normally have. Then go right back on protein the next meal. For some reason this triggers your body to react to the extra carbs and want to do something to eliminate them.

Like your counselors already mentioned, change up your exercise. If you are exercising a lot, cut it back. If you don't exercise, start, but be sure to increase your calories (about 200 additional calories for a good cardio workout).

Sometimes the plateau is for more psychological and behavioral reasons. When you like yourself again it is real easy to get sloppy with the plan. Try and refocus yourself and remember the motivation you had on day 1. Put a pair of pants you are trying to get into in a place where it is a constant reminder. Post pictures that inspire or motivate you on the fridge. Make a list of reasons you would like to finish this weightloss journey.

If you have stopped journaling, restart. Whether you think you need to journal or not, I find that journaling helps put your mind where your heart is. When I have lapsed in my journaling I find I track everything in my head the first few days, but in no time I am not longer tracking my daily calories and carbs. I start to get sloppy and start exceeding my calorie and carb targets.

Lastly, pull out your scale and measures at least once a month and recalibrate your brain about portion sizes. Sometimes my portions get smaller over time, but more often they get bigger.

As far as other protein sources, you might try seafood, lean pork or protein shakes. Eat a protein source that is a little fattier (not everyday, but once in a while to shake things up). It will also help to make this feel more like a WOL and less like a diet.

BTW... you are not alone and you are right when you say it goes slower the closer you get to goal. It took me a month to lose that last 4 pounds. Hang in there, you should be so proud of your accomplishment, but you are not done yet!!!!! We are all here to cheer you on.
Susie -
Thank You so much, I was hoping you would chime in with some ideas for me! I definitely know I have become lax about measuring portion sizes, not so much with my protein...but with my veggies. (I think in my head I have started saying "Really, how bad can a few extra asparagus spears be?" and that needs to change). I also know I need to pay more attention to my water consumption - I switched from the medi journals to just a regular notebook and decided I always drank enough water....now I'm thinking I need to track that again. I like the idea of zigzagging the calories, that gives me something to "focus" on too - which I like. I'm printing your ideas, thanks again!!!

I think I'm also ready to joing Almonds Anonymous....those sneaky little almonds, some one needs to come get them out of my house! Especially the cinnamon sugar ones. I know, a little higher in carbs...but I was ONLY using them in 1/3 oz servings chopped up with my morning yogurt. Recently I've been sneaking into the jar to grab "just a few" way too many times a day. So, sorry Mr. Almonds - I truly do love you, but I think we need to break up for a bit!!!! I never before realized how much of an "addictive personality" I have....I gave up the junky carbs, then got addicted to green grapes (which sadly I had to stop buying - no willpower with those!) and now its almonds. Ugh!

Ann - Thank You! That was this past Sunday watching football with my girls!

Last edited by mommy2princesses; 09-28-2010 at 05:13 PM..
Old 09-28-2010, 05:12 PM   #383
Major LCF Poster!

Ortel, Charlene, and Lea,

When I was in my early 20's I used to binge a lot, alternating sweets with salty foods so that I could keep going. I would eat past feeling sick. Thank God, I haven't had the desire to do that in years. I think it was the age and the stage of my life. Honestly I don't understand why I had the desire to do that then and not now.

Like Lea, I have my days where I have eaten my calories for the day by 3pm. I think it is hormonal and I am honestly hungrier on those days. What I do now on those days is add 1 tablespoon of Chia Fresh Fiber to a beverage before lunch and dinner. It helps me feel satiated sooner. I also have the miracle noodles on those days, which are 0 calories and 0 carbs, a lifesavor. Some days I do not have the discipline to drink the fiber or eat the miracle noodles. I just want to eat what I want to eat. So, I let myself, within limits, knowing I will see the consequences on the scale, and go back to protein as soon as I can. Sometimes all we can do is the best that we can. That is good enough!

The most damaging consequence in our discretions is not the one time lapse, but the guilt it causes. Guilt makes one indiscretion turn into a meal, which turns into an evening, which turns into a weekend, which turns into a week. One indiscretion will have no lasting effect on your weightloss journey. Be kind to yourself, forgive yourself... your human. Do not starve yourself for the rest of the day, but make reasonable choices.

I have struggled with my weight all my life. I lost 52 pounds in 9th grade, 35 pounds after I first got married, 60 pounds after having kids, and 68 pounds this last go round. It is not easy for me and I struggle every day. My determination to not gain back the weight is what led me to become a counselor. What better accountability! And now I have my whole family on board to this WOE. Even with that and the accountability I am constantly fighting a 5 pound swing. I'm very human. The bottom line is that we must never give up on ourselves. We must remember how great it feels to be in control, shop in regular stores, feel attractive, have energy, be in pictures, and be back in the game of life.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:17 PM   #384
Major LCF Poster!

Keri,

For me it is salted nuts (and because of that I stick to the raw ones which are just so so for me), and D'lites ice cream. What I do with the ice cream is that if I keep it under control I will buy it again. If I lose control I will not buy it for a month. Hopefully my self imposed consequences will cause a behavior modification.

I live in a household with three 6' 2"+ boys (my oldest is 6'41/2") and a 6'3" husband. It is/was a very competitive eating environment and if you wanted your share you had to eat it right away. I am trying to retrain myself from this mindset. With our new WOE it has gotten better.

I bought some today and have stuck to a single portion.

Last edited by SDC2; 09-28-2010 at 05:21 PM..
Old 09-28-2010, 06:12 PM   #385
Major LCF Poster!

Jo,

I want to thank your for working so hard to keep this site on track. I have had a hard time keeping up, and while it is a public forum, your committment to keep our threads organized and on target have been an invaluable help to all of us here.

I so appreciate you!!!! I hope all is well.

God Bless!
Old 09-28-2010, 06:39 PM   #386
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: msawhitt
Stats: 220/130/145
Start Date: August 11, 2010
When all is said and done, I have had a rough week too! Must be something in the air!!

I have stayed to the program, sort of...I have not been sleeping enough and am EXHAUSTED, and most of my meals consist of protein shakes and string cheese/lunch meat combos. Not good! Also, since I have been so tired, most of my fluids have come from diet coke. My body is protesting right now, I feel pretty rough! I have not been to the gym once this "week' (my weeks are from Wednesday to Wednesday, for Medi appointment days). Sleep is so important, I have averaged about 4 hours a night all week. Bleh!!

All I can do is go to bed, and with some better planning (and a good nights sleep!)tomorrow will be better : ) This is life!
Old 09-28-2010, 07:12 PM   #387
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lins
WOE: Medi-weightloss
Start Date: 1/12/14
I HATE rain. Actually I really love rainy days but I am getting so frustrated because it just seems like since school started up for my girls again I haven't been able to fit in running during the week. I go on Friday and Sunday, but during the week I just can't seem to fit it in. With activies, meetings, church etc.. Then tonight I was finally going to go, and it rained. UGH! My mom said she would watch my youngest for me tomorrow morning so I can go, so I am praying it doesn't rain, but I think it's suppose to. I am eating a normal amount of calories for staying active, but I am having a hard time cutting back on days I don't get my run in. I still try to get activity in (jumping jacks), and I still get 10,000 steps in for the day, but it's not the same as running. Plus I am learned to love it for the mood lift.

Not having a great week. It's all mental and I know that. The easy way to explain it is, that I've been on a "diet" for over 8 years, and now that I am at my goal weight it's almost like I don't know what to do with myself. I am still watching what I eat, and I always will, but it's seems surreal. The hardest thing for me is that I seem to have higher calorie days, followed my guilty days with lower calories. And when I know I have to go weigh-in again (every 2 weeks now), I am REALLY good the 4 days prior to weigh-in so that my weight isn't up, but the week after weigh-in I tend to go a little over on calories and put on 3-4lbs. I want to break this cycle.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:47 PM   #388
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDC2 View Post
Ortel, Charlene, and Lea,

When I was in my early 20's I used to binge a lot, alternating sweets with salty foods so that I could keep going. I would eat past feeling sick. Thank God, I haven't had the desire to do that in years. I think it was the age and the stage of my life. Honestly I don't understand why I had the desire to do that then and not now.

Like Lea, I have my days where I have eaten my calories for the day by 3pm. I think it is hormonal and I am honestly hungrier on those days. What I do now on those days is add 1 tablespoon of Chia Fresh Fiber to a beverage before lunch and dinner. It helps me feel satiated sooner. I also have the miracle noodles on those days, which are 0 calories and 0 carbs, a lifesavor. Some days I do not have the discipline to drink the fiber or eat the miracle noodles. I just want to eat what I want to eat. So, I let myself, within limits, knowing I will see the consequences on the scale, and go back to protein as soon as I can. Sometimes all we can do is the best that we can. That is good enough!

The most damaging consequence in our discretions is not the one time lapse, but the guilt it causes. Guilt makes one indiscretion turn into a meal, which turns into an evening, which turns into a weekend, which turns into a week. One indiscretion will have no lasting effect on your weightloss journey. Be kind to yourself, forgive yourself... your human. Do not starve yourself for the rest of the day, but make reasonable choices.

I have struggled with my weight all my life. I lost 52 pounds in 9th grade, 35 pounds after I first got married, 60 pounds after having kids, and 68 pounds this last go round. It is not easy for me and I struggle every day. My determination to not gain back the weight is what led me to become a counselor. What better accountability! And now I have my whole family on board to this WOE. Even with that and the accountability I am constantly fighting a 5 pound swing. I'm very human. The bottom line is that we must never give up on ourselves. We must remember how great it feels to be in control, shop in regular stores, feel attractive, have energy, be in pictures, and be back in the game of life.
Susie, you are a gift. I cannot tell you how much this post meant to me today. In fact, I think I'm going to print this one out and keep it with me. It brought tears to my eyes. Thank you.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:53 PM   #389
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lins View Post
I HATE rain. Actually I really love rainy days but I am getting so frustrated because it just seems like since school started up for my girls again I haven't been able to fit in running during the week. I go on Friday and Sunday, but during the week I just can't seem to fit it in. With activies, meetings, church etc.. Then tonight I was finally going to go, and it rained. UGH! My mom said she would watch my youngest for me tomorrow morning so I can go, so I am praying it doesn't rain, but I think it's suppose to. I am eating a normal amount of calories for staying active, but I am having a hard time cutting back on days I don't get my run in. I still try to get activity in (jumping jacks), and I still get 10,000 steps in for the day, but it's not the same as running. Plus I am learned to love it for the mood lift.

Not having a great week. It's all mental and I know that. The easy way to explain it is, that I've been on a "diet" for over 8 years, and now that I am at my goal weight it's almost like I don't know what to do with myself. I am still watching what I eat, and I always will, but it's seems surreal. The hardest thing for me is that I seem to have higher calorie days, followed my guilty days with lower calories. And when I know I have to go weigh-in again (every 2 weeks now), I am REALLY good the 4 days prior to weigh-in so that my weight isn't up, but the week after weigh-in I tend to go a little over on calories and put on 3-4lbs. I want to break this cycle.
Lins, this is me, too. I've been on a diet my entire life. I don't know how NOT to be. I don't know what to do with myself either. Like Erin said to me recently, I'm either gaining or losing. Always. I want to break this cycle too. Sadly, tomorrow is my appointment and it follows a very high calorie intake day. I know for sure I'll be up tomorrow. And like msawhitt, I haven't been very good with the water today, but am on my fourth or fifth diet Mt. Dew.

I'm hoping for a better day tomorrow. Goodnite, friends.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:20 AM   #390
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tydreamer View Post
And truthfully, after I was done eating, I was stuffed and didn't even feel very well. .
I feel you Leah... I totally do. Why do we eat untill not only are we not hungry, but we physically dont feel well? I dont understand myself! Today is a new day, lets make the most of it

On my end, I went through last night without getting up and eating, so thats one small victory.Every morning thats one of the first things i think to myself.

I had a major 'its not fair' moment this morning. Ever get those? I got it when I saw a girl at my job (whose a size 2... or 0...) eating one of the donuts that someone brought in. I know everyone is different, but it definitly put me into the whole 'why can she do it but i cant' mode. I dont even really LIKE donuts, more of a muffin girl myself, but it just seems so off that if I eat that itll show up on the scale the next day.
Closed Thread