Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2010, 07:52 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Cshel37
Stats: 246/137/135
WOE: Medi-Weight Loss
Does anyone weigh MORE after working out?

I like my exercise class but it has a bad side-effect: I weigh more the next day and a couple of days after that. I have to weigh in tomorrow and I am going to show a 1.5 pound GAIN because I worked out 3 times since my last weigh in. I understand that sore muscles retain water, but come on! I'm not power-lifting or anything. It's just Jazzercise- 40 minutes of aerobics and 20 minutes of really light (like 2 or 3 pound) hand weights, abs and stretching.

Anybody else have this?

Cshel37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2010, 08:02 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dragonfire
Stats: 5'5"/260/226/135
WOE: Medi Weight Loss
Start Date: 04/07/2010 Restart 01/08/2011
That happens to me too! Whenever I work out, I always weigh 2 sometimes 3 times more. Then if I give myself a 2 day break, all that water goes plus whatever the lbs lost.

It is super frustrating but your stats are great so keep doing what you're doing and make sure you drink lots of water.

Last edited by Dragonfire; 08-03-2010 at 08:03 AM..
Dragonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:07 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ortal
Stats: 184/138/120 5'5"
WOE: Medi
Start Date: 4/26/2010
whoa whoa whoa, back up, i JUST made a post like this in the august thread *goes to find it*

Quote:
The scale however... I am eating about 800 cals a day, burning a conservative 300-400 cals in my workouts, and the scale is registering gains. Im considering the fact that I may be retaining water, because i KNOW its not a calorie issue, but its frustrating. I know when I did weight watchers, if i didn't work out the day before my weigh in I would loose more. Why is that? I don't want to play those scale games this time around and time my workouts around weigh ins, but its tough when you pay 70$ a week, you want to see results.

I feel your frustration. I know muscles retain more water after a workout, I just would have hoped that the next morning I still wouldnt be up so much.
Ortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:16 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Cshel37
Stats: 246/137/135
WOE: Medi-Weight Loss
It's sooo not fair. I'm like a giant sponge. I gain water weight if someone even mentions water retention (see, I think I just gained another pound).
Cshel37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:06 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Desert-Rose7
Stats: 5'11"/262/150/150
WOE: MediWeightLoss
Start Date: 12/19/08 in Wellness since 09/03/2009
There is a thread for exercise, not sure what all is in there anymore but it might be a great place for questions like this:

Medi Exercisers!

Do make sure that you are drinking all your water too. Drinking water before, during, and after exercise. And stretching out before and after exercise to help your muscles and tendons recuperate. It is frustrating nonetheless, but keep on keeping on. Try not to weigh yourself so many times a day....you will drive yourself nuts.

In the acute phase, ideally, weigh only at the clinic on your appointment days.

Jo
Old 08-03-2010, 04:43 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: onajourney
Stats: 288.5/252/160-170?
WOE: Medi-Weightloss
Start Date: 06/10/2010
I am glad to see others have the same issue, I thought it was just me.
I know muscles retain water but I had not heard many people mention or talk about how it effects their weigh in.
The weeks I didnt work out a day or 2 before my weigh-in I did a lot better. I do easily retain water.
I always drink my water but I still retain after working out.

Thank You for sharing it really helps.
onajourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:29 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Charlene4
Stats: 154.5/135/135
WOE: vegan/vegetarian
Start Date: June 7,2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert-Rose7 View Post
There is a thread for exercise, not sure what all is in there anymore but it might be a great place for questions like this:

Medi Exercisers!

Do make sure that you are drinking all your water too. Drinking water before, during, and after exercise. And stretching out before and after exercise to help your muscles and tendons recuperate. It is frustrating nonetheless, but keep on keeping on. Try not to weigh yourself so many times a day....you will drive yourself nuts.

In the acute phase, ideally, weigh only at the clinic on your appointment days.

Jo

I agree that you will make yourself crazy if you weight more often. I am tempted sometimes but try to resist. The only time I normally weigh on my own scale is the day after my weigh in, to see how my scale compares. I have only weighed about 2 times that weren't right after a clinic weigh in. I like the surprise of seeing what I have lost. I have thought about this water retention thing too and I believe that what everyone is saying seems correct. I actually gained a couple pounds of water at my last weigh in. I lost a pound of fat though. I think this might have to do with two things: 1)I have stepped up my workouts to at least 6 days a week and more intensity, plus light weights 2) a combo of not getting the mid week injection and eating a little more sodium than I should. I seem to be having this recurring bloating issue that has worsened in the last week or so....

maintenance
Charlene4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 05:15 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SonoRoo
Stats: 5'1" ~ 187.6/162/115
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: May 20, 2010
This is SO timely!!! I lost 4.4 lbs in fat last week but was up over 5 lbs in water. My total loss was only 0.8 lbs but a loss none the less. What I am frustrated about is the fact that I am exercising and drinking all my water and I am still retaining water!!! I am swollen and can feel it in my hands. I really want to make it into the 150's this week before my Thursday weigh in. I think some of it has to do with muscle fatigue from slacking off the last few weeks and then exercising this week, but I am getting seriously frustrated at this point. Instead of Advil for the musle pain I took a Midol that has the mild diuretic in it just to reduce some of the swelling. My massage therapist is coming to the house today so I am praying she will work out some of the musle kinks that may be causing me to retain water. I should be able to tell by Sunday morning.

Do Over Mini Goal: at or below 160 before May
SonoRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:52 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: GirlInJersey
Stats: 291.2/207.0/180(for now)
WOE: Medi WeightLoss
Start Date: March 9, 2010
People think I'm crazy when I say I don't lose as much on the weeks I work out hard. I have been running a lot lately and my weight this week seems to have gone UP! So annoying. So I'm taking today off and hope that my weigh in tomorrow goes well and all balances out.
GirlInJersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 06:00 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Jeffrey
Stats: 211/170/160 5'9"
Start Date: 5/25/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlInJersey View Post
People think I'm crazy when I say I don't lose as much on the weeks I work out hard. I have been running a lot lately and my weight this week seems to have gone UP! So annoying. So I'm taking today off and hope that my weigh in tomorrow goes well and all balances out.
When you workout hard you may be gaining muscle mass which could account for a low weight loss or slight gain. Are your clinics going over fat mass and muscle mass losses/gains with you? I think those are vital to be encouraged and to see that your hard work really is paying off, even if the scale doesn't seem to agree.

--------------- And regarding any weight gain just after a workout, this is likely due to any water or electrolyte drinks you may have during or right after a workout. It seems like if you didn't drink anything you should lose a little bit of weight from sweat.
Goal Weight: 160 lbs
Current Weight: 170.5 lbs
Total Lost: 41.0 lbs
Weeks in Program: 11 Weeks
Jeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:28 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ortal
Stats: 184/138/120 5'5"
Start Date: 4/26/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
When you workout hard you may be gaining muscle mass which could account for a low weight loss or slight gain. Are your clinics going over fat mass and muscle mass losses/gains with you? I think those are vital to be encouraged and to see that your hard work really is paying off, even if the scale doesn't seem to agree.

--------------- And regarding any weight gain just after a workout, this is likely due to any water or electrolyte drinks you may have during or right after a workout. It seems like if you didn't drink anything you should lose a little bit of weight from sweat.
your muscles retain more water too after a workout, which can linger for a day or two. not just what you actually drink/pee out
Ortal is offline   Reply With Quote