Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2010, 05:02 PM   #121
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nance7
Stats: 5'3" 165/125/135 Restart 7/9/12 at 142
WOE: Medi Weight Loss Clinic
Start Date: 5/31/2010
Keri!! Fantastic! Congratulations to you on making your mini-goal and, most importantly, losing that much weight in THREE MONTHS! Amazing.

Elizabeth, just stick with the plan, drink all your water, do your exercise, and it will happen. Just look at Keri's statistics. AND when was the last time you lost 14 pounds in 3 weeks? Just average your losses over the weeks, keep looking at the inches you've lost, focus on the fat you are losing. Join us in posting your concerns, your successes, etc. This is such a motivating group! BTW, !

AnnK, you had a great weigh-in! You're almost there!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2010, 05:43 PM   #122
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lins
WOE: Medi-weightloss
Start Date: 1/12/14
The good news is that I haven't eatten anything I wasn't "suppose" to. The bad news is that I have wanted to ALL day long. I was fine until about 2p.m. but I have wanted to eat every minute since then. I had ham and a salad for dinner but that didn't help. I still want to eat. The kids are in bed, and my hubby is gone for the night (so I can't run), and it's really hard for me not to eat when I'm alone like this. I guess I'll go lock myself in the bathroom and take a bath..................
Old 08-09-2010, 06:28 PM   #123
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: YankeeMom27
Stats: 181/156.8/145
WOE: Medi WeightLoss
Start Date: restart 03/29/13
lins- I know what you mean...I have been hungry all day!! I haven't been taking my last AS because it keeps me awake, but the past 2 nights, I have been hungry!! I've decided that I'm just going to have a big cup of decaf tea and go to bed....may have to start taking the 3rd AS from now on though..
Old 08-10-2010, 04:12 AM   #124
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnK
Stats: 5'2" 133/133/115
WOE: MediWeightLoss
Start Date: 7/22/14
lins ~ I'm only on my 4th week & I definitely have my appetite back. I've started breaking my meals or snack up into more times per day so I don't have to wait so long before feeding my mouth. AND drinking everything that's allowable in between. Do you think we're really hungry, or just in the habit of eating more for so many years? In my case, I believe a lot of it is more emotions than hunger
Old 08-10-2010, 06:38 AM   #125
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Charlene4
Stats: 154.5/135/135
WOE: vegan/vegetarian
Start Date: June 7,2010
I have been like this on and off for the last week too! I think it's emotional for me, rather than physical. I haven't been ravenous, I just want to snack ALL THE TIME. I take little bites of this and little bites of that....usually in the evening after I workout. I have started writing down (as of this morning) what I snack on in a seperate notebook and what time, if I am stressed, etc...so maybe I can pinpoint if I really am hungry or just snacking for other reasons. I was so uncomfortable and bloated this morning....I had to do something.

maintenance
Old 08-10-2010, 07:56 AM   #126
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nsjx
Stats: 203.5/159/159 - maintenance
WOE: medi
Start Date: April 17, 2010
I have been having that same problem too these past couple weeks before TOM, during and after. I have never taken the AS but have been able to control my appetite. Lately it has a life of it's own and I chew alot of gum to keep from snacking too much.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:58 AM   #127
Senior LCF Member

I am not on an AS anymore, and for me it's true hunger..... my stomach was growling so loud last night that my kids were giggling. I ended eatting a string cheese and going to be early. So far today has been fine.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:29 PM   #128
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Desert-Rose7
Stats: 5'11"/262/150/150
Start Date: 12/19/08 in Wellness since 09/03/2009
Tummy growling?

Here is one answer I found:

Why does your stomach growl?

Doctors call it "borborygmi," which sounds a bit like the sound you hear.

According to Websters:
Main Entry: bor·bo·ryg·mus
Pronunciation: "bor-b&-'rig-m&s
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s):
plural bor·bo·ryg·mi /-"mI/
Etymology: New Latin, from Greek borborygmos, from borboryzein to rumble
Date: circa 1796
: intestinal rumbling caused by moving gas

It happens when your stomach walls squeeze together in an attempt to mix and digest food and there's no food there. Gases and digestive juices slosh around in your empty stomach and before you know it - borborygmi.

Yet hunger really has nothing to do with an empty stomach but, instead, is a product of certain nutrients missing in the blood. Our brains contain a "hunger center," which functions as an accelerator, or as a brake, for our stomachs and intestines. Once necessary nutrients are lacking from the blood, the dinner bell is rung, and the stomach and intestines come rumbling.

The now active stomach and intestine aren't picky as to what foods will satisfy they, and will grab anything they can. It is the role of the appetite to rein them in, and to ensure that the growling duo are satisfied, but with a healthy balance of the proper nutrients.

If ever in a situation where borborygmi kicks in, and there is no food in sight, remember to remain calm. The calmer you are, the more slowly your body will metabolize the protein it has stored, and the longer you will live!

Hope this helps a little.

Jo
Old 08-10-2010, 06:46 PM   #129
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: YankeeMom27
Stats: 181/156.8/145
WOE: Medi WeightLoss
Start Date: restart 03/29/13
Desert-Rose-7- your post was really informative! I find my go-to's when hunger pangs strike are gum and decaf tea along with lots of willpower!!!! I just keep thinking I have a weigh-in in a few days and I want to see that number on the scale go DOWN!!
Old 08-10-2010, 06:57 PM   #130
Senior LCF Member

I ate a laughing cown cheese wedge and drank 20 oz of water and I felt better. I think I am just having the "I've been doing this for 18 weeks and the weight is coming off super slow now" blues tonight. Plus my kids were fighting like crazy today (all girls ages 7, 5, and 2), and I was trying to keep them busy so I ate at odd times......just one of those days. My attitude just stinks sometimes and I know that.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:29 PM   #131
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tydreamer View Post
I'm in the same boat. I've tried everything. I have ulcerative colitis and I also have irritbile bowel, constipation dominant. The colon cleanse did nothing for me. I've doubled the dose of Miralax in combination with all the things you mentioned and then some, and still had no luck. So sadly, once or twice a week, I take a laxative too. And tho I didn't want to get that started, I really don't mind it. I'm concerned with long term issues/damage, but not enough to be miserable while trying to find a solution. I've had these issues long before Medi, but this WOE just made that particular problem worse. I've even tried the senna tea three times. Twice it worked and once it didn't. I wish I could find a solution, so I'm hoping someone has had some luck and can post something that helps us both!
Lea (and Charlene), I asked at the clinic today (only down .3 ), and I was told that taking a laxative once or twice a week is OK! I was really surprised to hear that. What I take is the generic form of, I think, Correctol, billed as a "woman's gentle laxative". Haha, it's pink! Anyway, the standard dose is 2 tablets, but I take only one, and it's fairly "gentle" and manageable the next day, in terms of being able to leave the house!

Last edited by Nance7; 08-10-2010 at 07:32 PM..
Old 08-11-2010, 04:13 AM   #132
Senior LCF Member

Jo ~ thank you SO much for the info on stomach growling! I guess we're never too old to learn... and I'm finding we have the most intelligent folks on these boards.
lins ~ consider yourself hugged. I don't know how you can keep up your weight loss AND deal with kids! You're amazing. I just have my non-dieting husband & that evil little voice in my head (the one that wants chocolate, potatoes & sweet corn) to cope with, and I get cranky sometimes.
SO - I'm glad to read about your grumbles along with your good days. It seems like some people just breeze through this program... happy, happy, happy all the time . It's just not human.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:00 AM   #133
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnK View Post
It seems like some people just breeze through this program... happy, happy, happy all the time . It's just not human.
HA HA!! Too funny.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:07 AM   #134
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Jeffrey
Stats: 211/170/160 5'9"
WOE: Medi
Start Date: 5/25/2010
I had a weight gain this past week. It was still good though since I lost a pound of fat and gained two and a half lbs of muscle. But it was still a bit frustrating to see that number go up when I still want it to go down.

And have any other guys who have done medi had issues with their clinic wanting them to have a higher body fat percentage? I met with a different person last night and she was freaking out that I am at 16.4 % body fat. (which is the middle of the healthy range for males my age.) She kept saying it shouldn't be that low and that I needed to gain weight. She said that this was dangerously low. Which would be true if I were a woman. I told her that she didn't know what she was talking about and that I wanted to meet with my regular person in the future. Next week I am bringing in some books that discuss body fat percentage differences for men and women to my clinic. I know most of their patients are female, but they are supposed to be the experts, so I am a bit frustrated that I just paid $70 to talk with someone who didn't understand the body fat differences between men and women.
Goal Weight: 160 lbs
Current Weight: 170.5 lbs
Total Lost: 41.0 lbs
Weeks in Program: 11 Weeks
Old 08-11-2010, 07:23 AM   #135
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tydreamer
WOE: Medi Weight Loss
Start Date: 2/10/10
Weigh in this morning. Weighed in just under goal. Got my transition packet and walked out of there with a huge smile on my face.

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR ALL OF YOUR SUPPORT!! I'm ready for the next phase!!
Old 08-11-2010, 07:46 AM   #136
Senior LCF Member

Congratulations Lea! I can't wait until that is me. You deserve to have that smile on your face!
Old 08-11-2010, 07:50 AM   #137
Senior LCF Member

Congrats Lea!! Perseverance and hard work paid off.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:52 AM   #138
Senior LCF Member

Here's my whine for the day, and I know it sounds pathetic but it's still in my head so I am sharing. As of this morning I weight 135lbs (same as last Friday at Med). That was my original goal, but at 5'1 that still puts me at a BMI of 25, and I still have quiet a bit of fat. I am still doing 500-600 protein calories a day except on days I run 4 miles and then I add about 200 calories to that per my clinic. I am also allowed 1 meal a day where I am a "little" freer with my carbs. I am no longer in ketosis, but the clinic doesn't think that I will go back in due to my running.

So that's my background. I have been doing this for 18 weeks and I know it's a lifestyle change and I really don't mind that. I never plan to add back many carbs, I find that I really don't miss them. I am however struggling with the 500 calories, I am sure that is emotional. And the petty side......I am not getting compliments like I use to. People are just use to me being skinnier now. I know that sounds silly but it was one thing when you were struggling and then someone told you how great you looked, it made it worth the struggle. Plus I am not buying any new clothes now either, since I have pleanty that fit me. Another bonus to the struggle. I know this is all emotional, and silly, but it's what I am struggling with right now. I guess I'm just tired....
Old 08-11-2010, 08:50 AM   #139
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dodgern
Stats: 236/150.6/140- now on maintenance
WOE: MWL
Start Date: 2/26/09
Hiya lins:

Just a couple of ideas....when I plateaued (is that spelled right?), I would eat more calories for a day or 2 then go back to normal amount.
I would also change my workouts.Not that runnung isn't great BUT your body requires other movements to burn calories.Try some light weights,sit ups,yoga, or some other activity.
Your body gets used to doing certain activities and finds the most efficient way of doing it so, therefore, you don't burn as many calories.

The other thing you mentioned-compliments.
Mine stopped a LONG time ago. I have 6 other people at work on MWL now. That's my best compliment ever!!!
I've been on maintenance since last Septemeber. People no longer watch for the weight to come off,now they watch to see if it comes back
My "compliments come from within now: every time I see myself in the window as I pass by-I still wonder if that's really me. ,every time I pull on a pair of much smaller jeans or shorts etc., everytime I catch a guy checking me out :blush:...you get the picture I hope.
We shouldn't rely on people giving us compliments all the time, you need to know in your heart who much better you look and feel!
You've worked hard to lose the weight,be proud of yourself and know that we are extremely proud of you too

cindy
Old 08-11-2010, 10:54 AM   #140
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Weigh in this morning. Weighed in just under goal. Got my transition packet and walked out of there with a huge smile on my face.

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR ALL OF YOUR SUPPORT!! I'm ready for the next phase!!
Yay, Lea!!!! You must be SOOO proud of yourself. Hard work pays off.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:27 AM   #141
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dodgern
Stats: 236/150.6/140- now on maintenance
WOE: MWL
Start Date: 2/26/09
WooHoo!!!!!!

WTG Lea!!!!!

Congrats and welcome to maintenance

Please check out the maintenance thread!!! Lots of great support there too

cindy
Old 08-11-2010, 11:57 AM   #142
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Desert-Rose7
Stats: 5'11"/262/150/150
Start Date: 12/19/08 in Wellness since 09/03/2009
Found another article that addresses some of psychological side of things.

Gratitude and Weight Loss

When it comes to body image, it's very common to feel overweight and focus on the fat even though you have made great strides. It's unfortunate that we battle acceptance and resist giving ourselves the self-acceptance, but it's something you can work with and improve over time.

One idea that fitness expert Michael Scholtz shares is the idea of establishing a gratitude journal to help you focus on aspects of your life that are positive. You can use the journal idea and work on finding aspects of your physical self that you like, as small as these aspects may be. Start somewhere and do the exercise consistently each day.

Take a moment at the end of each day to write down up to 5 things you feel grateful for that day. It takes time, but notice the negative thoughts you have and work on distinguishing them — oh, there's that critical voice again. The more awareness you can bring to these thoughts, the more you will be able to challenge them, re-frame them, and re-write your own thoughts, and you might as well make these positive since they really aren't "true" one way or the other (it's just what you decide to think about yourself).

What are you grateful for today?

Hope you find this helpful.

Jo
Old 08-11-2010, 01:01 PM   #143
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Jo, I will start a journal today....

I haven't stopped losing weight it's just coming off slowly, and I just got back from vacation 2 weeks ago where my eatting was off (although I didn't gain weight), so I don't think that is a problem. Plus due to rain this week I have had to do DVD's at home and I never do the same one (get them off netflix), so my workout out has been different recently too. I'm not worried about not losing the weight, just tired of thinking about it ALL the time. I know that will never change, I will always have to stay in control, but some days it just seems like a PITA.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:58 PM   #144
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mommy2princesses
Stats: Ht 5'7'' 259.6/156/165
Start Date: May 11, 2010
Lea - Way to go girl!!! You were so ready for the transition phase - you deserve all the happiness you feel today. Please keep sharing with us about what its like in transistion, you're a great source for the rest of us to learn from!

Jeffrey - what are you using as your measurement of body fat? Are you just going by the tanita scale printouts? I ask because my brother (who is 25 yrs old, 5'10, fluctuates between 165-175 - depending if he's on his cutting fat/bulking up muscle phase) is about 7% body fat. He has a degree in kinesiology (sp?? exercise science basically, but more on the medical side) and he firmly believes in only the water submersion test for fat %. Your height/weight are similiar to his, you may be lower than you think. Even at 165 he takes on a very gaunt look to his face, I couldn't imagine him at 160.

Lins - as I read what you wrote, all I could think about were how so many of those mundane, everday things are a PITA. Like grocery shopping, cleaning the house, doing laundry....it all can be a royal PITA, but we do it - because it needs to be done. And I kind of think that's how my WOE needs to be now - if I can constantly spend time/energy/thought on the basic runnings of the house and caring for the kids...then I can spend just as much energy/thought on taking care of myself. Sorry you're in a rough spot right now....do you think that some of your mindset might come from the fact that you haven't been able to run all week? Both my mom (well, now she has to walk due to back surgery) and my brother will swear by their daily run and its effect on their mood/attitude for the day if it is missed. You never know!

Time to make dinner...spent the day at the beach with the girls, they want to eat now and go to bed - hopefully I see an early bedtime for them tonight!

Over 100lbs. GONE FOREVER
Thanks to MWL!
8 months to Wellness....5/11/10 - 1/11/11
Old 08-11-2010, 02:20 PM   #145
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lins View Post
I am however struggling with the 500 calories, I am sure that is emotional. I know this is all emotional, and silly, but it's what I am struggling with right now. I guess I'm just tired....
There's nothing silly about any of the emotions you're feeling. For most of us, these emotions and how we deal with them are what got us all heavier than we wanted to be in the first place. You have to go ahead and let yourself feel whatever it is that's sprouting forth at that time. While I think I'm done with the losing WEIGHT part, I'm definitely not done with losing fat. My BMI is at 21 or 20.something now, but my fat percent was STILL 30.something as of this morning. So I'm going to add in MORE strength training and try to be careful about the eating for the next four weeks while in "transition". I really want my percentage to come down. The biggest issue of all that I you mentioned is the part about the 500 calories. I just couldn't do it anymore. I think it's been two months since I was truly at 500 calories. Most days I was around 800 to even 1,000 and sometimes even over that. So truly, my body has been in transition for a while and to tell the truth, I lost more weight per week in the last month than I had when I still had my 10 pounds to go. I'm not saying you should up your calories, but maybe you should talk to the clinic about it. You work out so hard that you know you're burning a ton - there isn't a better calorie burner than running! And there really is such as a thing as not getting ENOUGH calories. PERHAPS your body is just trying to tell you you need a little more.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:20 PM   #146
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2princesses View Post
Lea - Way to go girl!!! You were so ready for the transition phase - you deserve all the happiness you feel today. Please keep sharing with us about what its like in transistion, you're a great source for the rest of us to learn from!
Just TRY to get rid of me!
Old 08-11-2010, 03:36 PM   #147
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I'm so glad you said that, Lea. I am so, so happy for you, but I have to admit that one of my first thoughts was that we might lose you! You have done so well, and we need you! Congratulations to you. You deserve to celebrate.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:07 PM   #148
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Charlene4
Stats: 154.5/135/135
WOE: vegan/vegetarian
Start Date: June 7,2010
Quote:
That's so awesome. Congrats on reaching your goal!
Old 08-11-2010, 08:37 PM   #149
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mary T8M
Stats: 5'2" 228/144/125 good-bye 150's
WOE: LC/LF/LCal (medi)
Start Date: 4/23/10
[QUOTE=Nance7;13769244]Mary, you're still on our minds. Keep us posted about your dau-in-law.

I'm finally able to check in. We've had our Daughter -in-law and two kids with us since Saturday. Courtney (D-I-L) still isn't allowed to pick up her 4 month old, since her surgery 2 weeks ago, then this past Friday she had surgery to have her port placed. We kept the baby with us at night in order to make sure she follows Dr. orders. Then we would only let her hold him during the day IF someone else handed him to her. She has over done some of her activities and is having more pain than she anticipated, so that scares her. I finally urged her to call the Dr. Office and get the results of the PET scan, just to reassure herself that she isn't "full of cancer". All of those bottles, and diapers, as well as the attention needed by our 10 yr old granddaughter, DIL, as well as my "normal" activities has worn me out! Yet I'm so grateful that we can help. I think she was able to voice some of her fears to me, that maybe she didn't feel comfortable voicing to my son, or to her Mom. Our Grandson (Rye) is the happiest baby.....he smiles ALL the time!
We drove the three of them to Daytona Beach today which is about 1/2 way back to Jacksonville, and met our daughter who drove them the rest of the way back to Jax. Abby (our daughter will go over to their house tomorrow and Friday to take over the care of the kids. Chemo starts on Monday. Her Dr's office is great on giving all the information she needs up front, but she's still really scared. I'm not sure yet if I'll go up to Jax next week or not. My husband has a job interview (he's been unemployed for 3 months) just south of Atlanta so will be gone a couple days. This is a scary time for all of us!
Thanks again for keeping us in your parayers, and on your mind

Mary T8M (Tatem)

New member of the 80 pounds gone club

Whether you think you can, or you can't, either way you're right!
Henry Ford
Old 08-11-2010, 08:43 PM   #150
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SDC2
Stats: 5' 7.5" 218/150/155 Maintenance
WOE: Medi-Weightloss
Start Date: November 20, 2008
Lea,

Congrats! You have been so diligent and positive. You deserve all your success and your attitude will carry you well into maintenance. Please go through the maintenance program with Medi. I have seen so many patients quit Medi due to the money once they meet their goal, only to gain it all back. The maintenance / wellness phases are such an important part of the journey. You are taught how to eat in maintenance and have monthly appointments until you are at a stable calorie point and comfortable with your eating style. You don't have to be on Medi forever, but you do need to learn how to eat for life, which you do not learn during acute phase.

My second recommendation is that you feel like you can come back to Medi at any time should you gain some weight back. Medi will welcome you and put you back on the acute phase. Do it after the first 10-15 pounds. Don't wait until you gain it all back.

When I have clients that come back having gained a few pounds back, I do not scold them, but congratulate them for having the good sense to come back and get it back under control. As a former patient, that is what I plan to do.