Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2010, 08:51 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mary T8M
Stats: 5'2" 228/144/125 good-bye 150's
WOE: LC/LF/LCal (medi)
Start Date: 4/23/10
Trouble Sleeping

I'm usually a really good sleeper, but for the last week, I've been tired when I go to bed, but after I doze off for 20 minutes or so, I wake up, and have trouble getting back to sleep. I'm a little tired in the morning, and am sleeping later than I'd like. I'm still able to go for my walk without too much urging but it's later, and hotter than I'd like. I'm not quite sure why this is happening. I limit caffeine to early in the day, and some days have NO caffeine. I drink mainly plain water. I've always needed 7.5 or 8 hrs of sleep, and now I'm barely getting 6.5hr. Any ideas?

Mary T8M (Tatem)

New member of the 80 pounds gone club

Whether you think you can, or you can't, either way you're right!
Henry Ford
Mary T8M is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2010, 05:23 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

update: last night I got 4 hrs of sleep.....I'm up but very tired, too tired to walk this morning but couldn't get back to sleep
Old 07-19-2010, 06:48 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: irabeslim
Stats: 5'2" - 253/140/140
WOE: MWL
Start Date: January 21st, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary T8M View Post
update: last night I got 4 hrs of sleep.....I'm up but very tired, too tired to walk this morning but couldn't get back to sleep
This is my story! I always slept very good. Since I started this diet, I cannot sleep as soundly as I used to. Are you taking appetite suppressants drugs? I find that I cannot take them past 12-1 p.m. otherwise my sleep is interrupted. I am only taking max of 2 pills instead of prescribed 3. I think also ketosis has something to do with it. I find when I "overdo" on carbs (like more than normal 15-20 g that I take) - I sleep better but this is not what we are supposed to do so I just struggle through my sleep issues hoping that when I go to maintenance and increase carbs I will start sleeping better.

"Nothing tastes better than thin feels"
-------------------
Was in wellness!
Restart on 04/05/11 to lose 15 gained lb
253/148/140
irabeslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:11 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by irabeslim View Post
This is my story! I always slept very good. Since I started this diet, I cannot sleep as soundly as I used to. Are you taking appetite suppressants drugs? I find that I cannot take them past 12-1 p.m. otherwise my sleep is interrupted. I am only taking max of 2 pills instead of prescribed 3. I think also ketosis has something to do with it. I find when I "overdo" on carbs (like more than normal 15-20 g that I take) - I sleep better but this is not what we are supposed to do so I just struggle through my sleep issues hoping that when I go to maintenance and increase carbs I will start sleeping better.
yes I'm taking the appetite suppressants, and have not had a problem with them, but maybe I won't take it before dinner tonight, to see if that helps. It doesn't seem to matter how tired I am in the evening, when I go to bed, I wake up! I was afraid I was overdoing the carbs (in the form of veggies....not anything bad), and that was why I wasn't sleeping. I'm REALLY watching what I'm eating today.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:30 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Rhodeislander
Stats: 304/270/250 6'2"
WOE: Medi
Start Date: July 10
I stopped taking the last fat burning pill dose, I'm pretty sure it has an effect on sleep.
Rhodeislander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 12:40 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodeislander View Post
I stopped taking the last fat burning pill dose, I'm pretty sure it has an effect on sleep.
I skipped the AS but took the fat burner, and slept the best I have in a couple of weeks. So I'll do the same tonight, and see if the results are the same, or if it was that I was just so tired last night!
Old 07-20-2010, 04:23 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mommy2princesses
Stats: Ht 5'7'' 259.6/156/165
WOE: Medi Weight Loss
Start Date: May 11, 2010
I have already cut myself down to only 2 AS/day - and my sleep definitely improved! I take 1 AS in the AM, then the 2nd AS around 1 pm. I've been doing it for a few weeks now and I sleep so much better. Before I just could NOT fall asleep at night - I would be up until 2 am and then back up at 6 am. I would dread hearing my alarm clock go off in the morning! Curious to see if you sleep well again tonight without the last AS!
mommy2princesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:57 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2princesses View Post
I have already cut myself down to only 2 AS/day - and my sleep definitely improved! I take 1 AS in the AM, then the 2nd AS around 1 pm. I've been doing it for a few weeks now and I sleep so much better. Before I just could NOT fall asleep at night - I would be up until 2 am and then back up at 6 am. I would dread hearing my alarm clock go off in the morning! Curious to see if you sleep well again tonight without the last AS!
I had some trouble getting to sleep, but at least I wasn't up half the night. Once I fell asleep, I seemed to sleep well. Tonight I'm in Jacksonville staying with my infant grandson while my son spends the night in the hospital with his wife who had surgery today for ovarian cancer (she's only29 and just had my gandson 4 months ago)
Old 07-22-2010, 03:32 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I cut my AS to 2 a day too. I have no trouble falling asleep at 11:30 or so, I guess because I am exhausting myself with workouts but I wake up every couple hours and cannot stay in bed past 5:30-6:00 which is a shame since my work allows me to sleep much later. I think it is ketosis that does it for me. On those occasions when I fell out of it I slept normally.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:37 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Charlene4
Stats: 154.5/135/135
WOE: vegan/vegetarian
Start Date: June 7,2010
It's funny...because I have been following this thread but didn't give it too much thought. I have always been a light sleeper....when I first went on the program, after the first week, I slept great...way better than I used to. Lately, over the past week or so, I have been sleeping really, really poorly. I am tired all day, every day. I can't fall asleep easily and once I do, I can't stay asleep. What's odd is that, I have been really low or out of ketosis completely over that time. Whatever is causing it, I'm ready for it to be over. I weigh in tomorrow and I plan to talk to my clinic about both the ketosis problems and the sleep issue. The AS haven't really bothered me that I have noticed...other than, one day I forgot to bring them to work with me and I got a bad headache. I'm ready to feel rested again!

maintenance
Charlene4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:10 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CCCOX
Stats: 195-135-135
WOE: Medi
Start Date: 1/5/10
Hi -

My clinic always said watch what time you are taking the AS and the fat burner. Both can keep you from sleeping!
CCCOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 03:11 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mommy2princesses
Stats: Ht 5'7'' 259.6/156/165
WOE: Medi Weight Loss
Start Date: May 11, 2010
Charlene - I just asked this week about my ketosis levels at my weigh-in. From the 1st week, I was consistently moderate to large for ketosis (regardless of how much water I drank!). The past week and a half - I am trace to small. Which worries me, but apparently not my clinic! They said ketosis is ketosis - no matter what level basically - and that some people only show trace to none the entire time in acute. Be sure to post what your clinic thinks, its nice to see if opinions differ or not!

-Keri
mommy2princesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:31 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Charlene - I just asked this week about my ketosis levels at my weigh-in. From the 1st week, I was consistently moderate to large for ketosis (regardless of how much water I drank!). The past week and a half - I am trace to small. Which worries me, but apparently not my clinic! They said ketosis is ketosis - no matter what level basically - and that some people only show trace to none the entire time in acute. Be sure to post what your clinic thinks, its nice to see if opinions differ or not!

-Keri
I go in tomorrow morning. I will be sure to update with what they say. It's just so frustrating when it's fine and then all the sudden I can't get close to where I was. It was negative again tonight.....
Old 07-23-2010, 07:50 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlene4 View Post
I go in tomorrow morning. I will be sure to update with what they say. It's just so frustrating when it's fine and then all the sudden I can't get close to where I was. It was negative again tonight.....
I goggled "ketosis and sleep problems" and found lots of information. Apparently, ketosis does affect sleep for many people. Some people are saying that they get better when they eat 60-70g of carbs but we cannot do this in acute. They also recommend "5-htp" supplement. It helps a lot of people. It increases serotonin levels that in turn will have a positive effect on sleep. The other way to increase serotonin is by eating CARBS. Anybody tried this on this forum? Just want to get your opinions before getting it.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:56 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irabeslim View Post
I goggled "ketosis and sleep problems" and found lots of information. Apparently, ketosis does affect sleep for many people. Some people are saying that they get better when they eat 60-70g of carbs but we cannot do this in acute. They also recommend "5-htp" supplement. It helps a lot of people. It increases serotonin levels that in turn will have a positive effect on sleep. The other way to increase serotonin is by eating CARBS. Anybody tried this on this forum? Just want to get your opinions before getting it.
I read something similar....what is weird is that it seems to be opposite to me. I have been eating more carbs lately and getting poor sleep. I went in today and asked about the ketosis issue I brought up earlier and they said not to worry unless I start to "stall". I lost two pounds this week, which is better than I thought I'd do this week. This is the first week though, that I have lost more water/lean mass than fat. I still lost .5lb of fat, so I suppose that is better than none. I gave blood today (unrelated to Medi, but asked if it was ok) and I feel dizzy and super hungry now, so I assume I should probably up my calories slightly today and make sure to drink plenty of powerade zero.