Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Medi Weightloss (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/medi-weightloss/)
-   -   Ex powerlifter, big guys need your help. (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/medi-weightloss/681516-ex-powerlifter-big-guys-need-your-help.html)

Rhodeislander 07-03-2010 09:42 AM

Ex powerlifter, big guys need your help.

Hi all,
Looking forward to my first appointment on the 10th. I really hope this plan can wotk for me.
Here is my concern: I have been a an inshape, but overweight man always. Ex police officer, graduated the acadamy at 250lbs.
I'm 6'2 310 now, and 44. I have worked out for the past 10 years and have a great deal of muscle. If you workout at all, you will appreciate my 575lb deadlift and 410lb bench press.
I have a very bad ruptured disk, I need to lose weight to help ease the pressure and pain. My concern is this diet will take forever to break down and burn the muscle, along with the fat. Is anyone having this issue? I would need 250gm of protein daily to maintain my current muscle on paper? How do I do that on 500 cal? Do I just say hey the muscle can go too? Will it? Quickly?
I need the weight off my joints, thats the priority. If the muscle goes, thats ok.
Just looking for real life experience.
Thanks in advance.

SLCDragon 07-03-2010 11:01 AM

Although I am not near as strong as you ( 315 bench , 420 dead ) I have not lost any muscle through the program and I have been on it for 6-7 weeks now. I have lost a great deal of fat. I'm 18 and 6'6 350 starting and they allotted me 1000 cal. I'm sure it will be more than 500 for you as well. Let me know how it goes! It's a great program and it honestly does work!

Mary T8M 07-03-2010 11:10 AM

My husband is on this plan and started at 338lb 6'3" 59 yr old. I have no idea what he can bench press but he does (always has) work out, and is very muscular. He also needed to drop weight because of his back. He's on 600 - 800 protein calories a day. He's dropped about 40 pounds so far (9 weeks). I think if anything he has more definition to his muscles now that some of the fat is gone. He's VERY happy he chose Medi. Good luck

Rhodeislander 07-03-2010 12:39 PM

Great info guys thank you.

Rhodeislander 07-10-2010 02:14 PM

Day one

Started today. Nice people at the clinic in Cranston, RI.
800 cal for week one.
Shopping for the week.
Wish me luck!

onajourney 07-10-2010 06:16 PM

Rhodeislander

Good Luck to you and much success! :up:

Rhodeislander 07-13-2010 12:28 PM

Ok, day 4. The headaches are wicked. The eating is easy, headaches and moodyness, not so much. Difficult to work, I want to tell everyone to drop dead! I'm hangin in there but no feeling so well.

mommy2princesses 07-13-2010 12:33 PM

Rhodeislander - The headaches were the WORST part of Week 1 for me. I felt so bad for my poor 2 kids, all I wanted to do was put my head down and close my eyes! Day 4 & 5 were the worst, then it started to improve Day 6. By the time you start Week 2 you will start to feel so good...it's well worth it! Good luck!

-Keri

Desert-Rose7 07-13-2010 01:00 PM

The most important thing to remember about week 1 is that it is JUST ONE WEEK! You can do this. This week is designed to flush the bad stuff out of your system, so your body can concentrate on burning fat and losing weight. It is well worth the headaches, moodiness and blahhhh feeling.

Your body is ridding itself of sugars/carbs and such and these physical symptoms are less or more severe depending on how much of the bad stuff you have in your system. Wicked headaches? They will go away. Trust me on this one. Drink your 128 of water, making at least part of that a bottle of Smartwater (I buy the Trader Joes equivalent) as that helps balance your electrolytes out. PowerAde Zero will also help.

Good luck to you!

Jo

Rhodeislander 07-13-2010 01:12 PM

Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by mommy2princesses (Post 13687040)
Rhodeislander - The headaches were the WORST part of Week 1 for me. I felt so bad for my poor 2 kids, all I wanted to do was put my head down and close my eyes! Day 4 & 5 were the worst, then it started to improve Day 6. By the time you start Week 2 you will start to feel so good...it's well worth it! Good luck!

-Keri

Its nice to hear from someone that has done this. Did you feel moody? I fell like the littlest thing will set me off, noise,traffic I want to hide for a few days...:dunno:

Jeffrey 07-13-2010 01:20 PM

The first week I was on edge a lot. I felt like I wanted to run outside and pick a fight with anyone that might walk by.

At week 7 I still experience some general grumpiness that I need to keep in check though. But week 1 was crazy.

mommy2princesses 07-13-2010 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhodeislander (Post 13687190)
Its nice to hear from someone that has done this. Did you feel moody? I fell like the littlest thing will set me off, noise,traffic I want to hide for a few days...:dunno:

Moody?? Gee, I would hate to ask my husband what he thought of me for a few days! Its withdrawal - just like any addict really - your body is withdrawing from carbs & sugars (and if yours is anything like mine - that's what my main source of food was!).

Week 1 only lasts for 7 days - trust me, when you hit day 7 and have veggies that first night....you will feel like a different person. It still amazes me how I no longer crave what used to attract me before. Once the sugar is out of your system - simple things like red peppers take on such a sweet taste!

I also go to the Cranston clinic - just was there today for my Week 9 weigh in.

-Keri

Desert-Rose7 07-13-2010 05:10 PM

Hello Rhode Island!
I began this program on December 19, 2008 right in the midst of the holidays. I made it through that first week with an 11 pound weight loss, and continued on from that point. I have lost a total of 112 pounds, and am headed for my first year anniversary in wellness. All that weight is still off, and I am loving my new self and my health.

Hang in there, you can do this! Moodiness comes with the program for a while until your body adjusts to your new way of eating. As it does, you will find that the moodiness decreases or goes away all together.

Jo

Charlene4 07-13-2010 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhodeislander (Post 13687190)

I'm in week five and I still get moody, off and on. It's almost like, if I feel like I might have had more carbs one days....THAT makes me moody. I never go over what is allowed but I can tell by my mood if I have been making the best food decisions. I also experience midday (1-3pm) *****iness that I can't really kick just yet. Hopefully my co-workers don't mind! I have noticed an improvement over time though and I imagine it will only get better for both of us. :p

Rhodeislander 07-15-2010 05:28 PM

Day 5

Well things are better in day 5, good energy, better mood. My scale at home is saying 10 pounds gone? I weight in tommorow at noon, so we will see. Very strict to the diet so far, no cheating at all. Sat I think i'll treat myself to some nice sea scallops and shrimp on the grill!:clap:

Desert-Rose7 07-15-2010 06:52 PM

Sounds like a plan, Rhode Island!

Jo

Rhodeislander 07-16-2010 02:15 PM

Ok,
Results are in 6 days 9.3lbs Woohoo!

RACM 07-16-2010 03:25 PM

Good Job! :kicking:

mommy2princesses 07-16-2010 04:35 PM

Now doesn't it make those headaches and moodiness you had totally worth it!?!? Good job and Welcome to the world of veggies (they will never have tasted so good as they do to you during the beginning of Wk.2!).

techgirl 07-17-2010 08:27 AM

Week two and after for me have been great! I have more energy and am in a much better mood. Week one is rough! I've found that I feel better if I eat every three hours, even if it is just a little bit of food. Seems like more coffee than usual helped me through week one. Hang in there, it will get better soon.

JustDoItArt 07-17-2010 12:51 PM

RI, have you been to the gym since you started? How are the lifts? Do you feel weaker in the gym?

Rhodeislander 07-17-2010 01:18 PM

Working out

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustDoItArt (Post 13700671)
RI, have you been to the gym since you started? How are the lifts? Do you feel weaker in the gym?

Im weaker no doubt. Shifting to reps, and more cardio. I'm going for the leaner fit look now. I've been a big goon for along time, my back and knees cant take it anymore. Doing some light hiking, at 44 not being in pain is a wonderful thing:kicking:

Mary T8M 07-19-2010 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhodeislander (Post 13700720)
Im weaker no doubt. Shifting to reps, and more cardio. I'm going for the leaner fit look now. I've been a big goon for along time, my back and knees cant take it anymore. Doing some light hiking, at 44 not being in pain is a wonderful thing:kicking:

My husband is amazed at how much better his back feels now that he's dropped some of his weight! He walks and swims almost every day. He's now using his Total Gym at home instead of going to the gym (he gave up his gym membership when he lost his job) We looked at "pre Medi" pictures today.......we both have a long way to go, but what a difference all ready! His B-Day is tomorrow and I bought him some 2X shirts to replace his 19.5 in (along with some 4X) shirts that are now huge on him! He likes his clothes loose, and his pant size has gone from a 50 to a 44. He's gone from not being able to fit into one of his belts to going through all the holes, and having to make more!

Keep up the great work!

Rhodeislander 09-01-2010 03:27 PM

Update

Well I have been doing this on my own now as the cost was getting to be an issue. I follow the plan strictly, and keep losing. I did lose some muscle, and the low carbs make it very difficult to work out. Here is the good news. I traded my 46 jeans, for some off the rack Gap 40's. I get comments all the time now, they call me slim at work. Its been pretty easy, I do crave some pasta onec in awhile, but that passes. Hope everyone is doing well, I'll post some pictures soon.

YankeeMom27 09-01-2010 06:00 PM

If you're craving pasta, have you tried Miracle Noodles? They're really good and very filling- 0 cal, 0carbs!

JustDoItArt 09-15-2010 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhodeislander (Post 13850514)
Well I have been doing this on my own now as the cost was getting to be an issue. I follow the plan strictly, and keep losing. I did lose some muscle, and the low carbs make it very difficult to work out. Here is the good news. I traded my 46 jeans, for some off the rack Gap 40's. I get comments all the time now, they call me slim at work. Its been pretty easy, I do crave some pasta onec in awhile, but that passes. Hope everyone is doing well, I'll post some pictures soon.

Good update RI.

If you are not going to the clinic any more, would you mind telling what your typical week is like: calories, prot/carb macros, supplements, drugs?

Thanks!!!