Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Medi Weightloss (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/medi-weightloss/)
-   -   FFM Loss (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/medi-weightloss/679488-ffm-loss.html)

Jeffrey 06-17-2010 12:31 PM

FFM Loss

At my last weigh in I lost most of my weight from FFM mass. Previously most, if not all of my loss was coming from my Fat Mass.

Does this mean that my body took away some muscle?

nsjx 06-17-2010 01:40 PM

Definition: Fat-free mass is comprised of the nonfat components of the human body. Skeletal muscle, bone and water are all examples of fat-free mass.
Examples: Fat-free mass can refer to any body tissue that does not contain fat.

eptexy 06-17-2010 01:47 PM

Ya, you lost muscle but maybe water as well. Make sure you're exercising to retain that muscle mass! It will all even out. The Tanita scale maybe a bit inaccurate as well. Don't worry too much. :)

irabeslim 06-17-2010 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffrey (Post 13602633)
At my last weigh in I lost most of my weight from FFM mass. Previously most, if not all of my loss was coming from my Fat Mass.

Does this mean that my body took away some muscle?

Jeffrey, this is exactly what happened to me last week - first time in 5 months I lost 3 lb FFM and not fat!! I was really upset, thought may be I overdid in the gym. Also my ketosis reading was very faint (don't know why - was sticking to the plan). So I went on 4 days of just protein (not fun!) and today I lost 7.5 fat, gained 1.4 FFM and 3.4 water. Go figure!

I would suggest you stick to the plan, make sure you are in ketosis and see what happens next week. It may be these scales are playing tricks on us.

Jeffrey 06-17-2010 06:20 PM

Let me add a bit more information. I also think I am understanding this better after reading the definition provided by nsjx.

I lost 5lbs this past week. I am very happy with how the week went. I am in Ketosis at the medium level every day and have been since day 2 of the program. I am eating 500-600 calories of low sodium and low fat protein each day. Zero carbohydrates, and having a few almonds every couple days to get some fats into my system. I am not a big veggie eater, and just haven't had any desire to eat any fruit these past two weeks. My clinic said if I am satisfied with only eating meat then they told me to keep it up.

This past week I lost 1.5 lbs of Fat Mass, and lost 3.0 lbs of Water. My FFM went from 148.0 lbs to 144.5 lbs. I am now understanding that when my water weight decreases th FFM number should as well, so the 3.5 lbs reduction in FFM doesn't seem as concerning as I had previously thought. This really only leave half a pound loss to be tissue other than fats. (And this adds up to my 5lb loss) I am guessing this is rather normal, since skin and other areas need to shrink as well. At first I thought I might have lost 3.5lbs of muscle, which is not something I am wanting to do.

SonoRoo 06-17-2010 07:10 PM

The TBW is included in the FFM, so when your water reduces, it reduces the FFM.