Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Medi Weightloss (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/medi-weightloss/)
-   -   Breast Feeding while on Medi (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/medi-weightloss/678822-breast-feeding-while-medi.html)

Maria93 06-13-2010 08:50 AM

Breast Feeding while on Medi

About a year ago I started Medi Weight Loss and had awesome results. I went overseas back in October so I had to stop the program. I got back in Feb and did gain a few lbs. I actuall gained 7lbs back. I was exercisng so I assumed it must of been muscle. Any ways back in March I found out I was pregnant. I am a little over 18weeks now and since and have gained about 11lbs during this pregnancy. I am terrified. The instead of morning sickness I was hungry all the time it has finally gone away thank god. My plan is start medi back up after the baby is born.

I guess my quesiton is it safe to Breast Feed while on Medi?

nsjx 06-13-2010 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maria93 (Post 13586881)
About a year ago I started Medi Weight Loss and had awesome results. I went overseas back in October so I had to stop the program. I got back in Feb and did gain a few lbs. I actuall gained 7lbs back. I was exercisng so I assumed it must of been muscle. Any ways back in March I found out I was pregnant. I am a little over 18weeks now and since and have gained about 11lbs during this pregnancy. I am terrified. The instead of morning sickness I was hungry all the time it has finally gone away thank god. My plan is start medi back up after the baby is born.

I guess my quesiton is it safe to Breast Feed while on Medi?

No I don't think it is since you need extra calories to produce milk for the baby. If you don't have sufficient calories you won't produce as much and by the constant demand from the baby you may put yourself at risk for malnutrition if you are not replenishing. You need more calories breastfeeding than when you are pregnant. Wait till after you wean the baby before going on a low calorie diet. I am sure your doctor will tell you the same thing.

Desert-Rose7 06-13-2010 09:32 AM

The best source for information on this subject is your OB/Gyn.

Jo

eptexy 06-15-2010 05:23 AM

You should ask but I definitely wouldn't expect a yes in this situation. I did Weight Watchers while I nursed my son and the point requirement was really high. What if you did something like that? Whole grains are really important in keeping your supply up. Plus, I can't imagine ketones being a good thing for the baby.

SonoRoo 06-15-2010 07:41 AM

The breast milk will not be as fatty as needed for the baby either with the fat and calorie restriction. I would think you are not only at risk of malnutrition yourself, but the baby would be as well. Breastfeeding itself tends to limit weight gain in women who are eating sensibly. As long as you are eating healthy, not restricting a huge amount and not gorging either, the situation should be self limiting. Just follow a healthy way of eating while breast feeding and the start MWL back up after you stop. The breast milk is healthier for your baby (it gives them protective antibodies they wouldn't otherwise have) and you will both benefit in the long run. ;)