Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Medi Weightloss (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/medi-weightloss/)
-   -   Medi Friendly Packaged Snacks (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/medi-weightloss/678730-medi-friendly-packaged-snacks.html)

With Gratitude 06-12-2010 12:33 PM

Medi Friendly Packaged Snacks

Forgive me there is already a thread about this (I found a snack RECIPE thread) but I thought it would be good to have a list of healthy low carb snacks that we can grab and go at times.

I had this the other day and I was floored at how good it tasted:
OsTrim Beef & Ostrich Sticks. They honestly tasted like a slim jim with out the grease. I also tried the Pepper Flavored one but didn't care for it as much. They are a bit high in sodium for 1 item but I kept the rest of my diet very clean with very, very little salt & made sure I got my water in. I was wanting pepperoni since I was at a kid Bday party with pepperoni & cheese pizza.

Here are the nutritional facts for the Beef & Ostrich sticks:
Serving Size: 1 1.5oz stick

Calories 80 Calories from Fat 15

Total Fat 1.5g 2%
Saturated Fat 0.5g 2%
Cholesterol 25mg 8%
Sodium 300mg 12%
Potassium 590mg 17%
Total Carbohydrate 2g 1%
Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
Protein 14g 28%
Calcium 2%
Iron 10%
Est. Percent of Calories from:
Fat 16.9% Carbs 10.0%
Protein 70.0%

Desert-Rose7 06-12-2010 03:41 PM

Personally, I try for natural snacks, like raw almonds, grapes, berries, and such. I have stayed away from anything processed as much as possible. Too much sodium and other stuff that I prefer not to eat anymore. Lettuce, green beans, lemons, oranges, peaches....

Basically packaged snacks are not a part of my life anymore. However, to each his/her own.

Jo

eptexy 06-12-2010 04:31 PM

I agree, the sodium gets very high with the packaged stuff and unfortunately, most protein-filled snacks have lots of sodium! I'm still on the hunt for something convenient, low in carb, and high in protein to grab and go. I can't eat nuts or I would definitely do that.

When you're eating 500 calories of protein a day, it's far less concern. Now that I'm eating 1200 though, I feel puffy half way through the day if I don't watch the salt! Not a fan of that at all!

With Gratitude 06-12-2010 04:33 PM

We have anaphlactic nut allergies in our home so we don't bring any nuts or nut products in the home at all and unfortunately right now I'm on week 1 so I can't have anything but proteins :-(. A boiled egg can only go so far :-(. I'm trying to keep my sodium from 900-1200 and get all of my waters in.

I would LOOOVE packed snacks that are healthy, low sodium that I can have in the first month or so.

Ash347 07-07-2010 03:50 AM

South Beach Nuts

I have heard that South beach makes a chocolate covered nut of some kind..anyone know where to find it??
I hope we can use this thread to also discuss the snacks!
:)
Thanks!

BostonSue 07-07-2010 06:28 AM

Cocoa Roast Almonds

Hi Ashley,

I don't know about the South Beach nuts, but Emerald makes 100 calorie packs of Cocoa Roast Almonds (Dark Chocolate). They are certainly not zero carb, so I save them for when I'm having a chocolate craving. They're dusted with cocoa powder, so not chocolate covered like a goober, but I think they're delicious and satisfying. My clinic recommended them and I found them at Target.

Nutrition facts:
Calories: 100
Fat: 8g
Carbohydrate: 4g (2g Fiber/1 g Sugar)
Protein: 3g

Sorry that doesn't help you, With Gratitude...

eptexy 07-08-2010 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ash347 (Post 13663892)
I have heard that South beach makes a chocolate covered nut of some kind..anyone know where to find it??
I hope we can use this thread to also discuss the snacks!
:)
Thanks!

I have always tried to find the chocolate covered soy nuts someone mentioned here but I can't either! They sounds so good and I've never had a craving for soy nuts beyond a single portion.