Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2010, 08:17 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ortal
Stats: 184/138/120 5'5"
WOE: Medi
Start Date: 4/26/2010
eating at night

Hope its okay I start a new thread, I try to keep them to a minimum...

I have this problem and its really embarassing and I cant really talk to anyone about it.

I eat uncontrollably at night. about an hour after I fall asleep, Ill wake up, walk to the kitchen, and start eating. I have some sense of control because I pick the right things, but I still eat. I talk to myself before bed "not tonight... dont do it... just stay in bed" but before I know it Im at the fridge again. Im not sleepwalking but Im not exactly awake. This was a big problem for me in my late teens and it stalled prior weight loss. It was at a point for a while where my old boyfriend let me lock the fridge. I was doing okay for a while on medi but the past week or so its been back. so I "start" my day at a deficit and its really depressing. Like, I know its slowing me down and my body ISN'T hungry when I do this, but I do. At least this time around Im doing it with turkey and not triscuits.

Anyone have any experience with this? Any help you can prescribe? I am not big on sleeping aids and Ive tried everything I can think of, getting so exasperated.

Mini Goal - 130 by 10/30
Ultimate Goal - 120 by the end of the year.
Ortal is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2010, 05:51 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

is there any way to delete a thread...
Old 06-08-2010, 07:06 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: suzanna1
Stats: 215/162.5/149 5'8" 38 years old
WOE: Medi Weightloss Clinic
Ortal ~ I am sorry that you are dealing with this. Have you done any research on Night Eating Syndrome? It appears that it may be due to a chemical imbalance. I would talk to your doctor and do a little research. Several websites talk about dosing with melatonin or 5-HTP. I took 5-HTP after my back surgery after reading The Mood Cure by Julia Ross and it seemed to help alleviate my post-surgery depression.

Hugs!

Last edited by suzanna1; 06-08-2010 at 07:07 AM.. Reason: typo!
suzanna1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 08:26 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

i have the same problem at times! i find myself snacking at night on fat free hotdogs and porkrinds! im not eating carbs, but im still eating. i dont know if i just get bored or if i just want to eat to eat; i do so good the whole day-weighing food, writing it all down etc. its at night that gets me!
sunshinesweetie83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 04:51 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

it gets to me still.... i really should see a doctor about it. should i go to my general doctor? I think its more than just a bad habbit.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:41 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Desert-Rose7
Stats: 5'11"/262/150/150
WOE: MediWeightLoss
Start Date: 12/19/08 in Wellness since 09/03/2009
I found this article on webmd, and it may contain some helpful hints for you. Your regular doctor is a good starting point.

Sleep-Related Eating Disorders

Sleep-related eating disorders are characterized by abnormal eating patterns during the night.

Although it is not as common as sleepwalking, nocturnal sleep-related eating disorder (NS-RED) can occur during sleepwalking. People with this disorder eat while they are asleep. They often walk into the kitchen and prepare food without a recollection for having done so. If NS-RED occurs often enough, a person can experience weight gain and increase their risk of developing type 2 diabetes.

A closely related disorder, known as night eating syndrome (NES), is diagnosed when a person eats during the night with full awareness and may be unable to fall asleep again unless he/she eats.

Symptoms of NES include the following and often persist for at least two months:

Little or no appetite for breakfast.
Eating more food after dinner than during the meal.
Eating more than half of daily food intake after dinner hour.
Recurrent awakenings from sleep requiring eating to fall back asleep.
NS-RED and NES differ in that people with NES eat when they are conscious. However, the disorders are similar in that they both are hybrids of sleep and eating disorders. Both of these conditions can interfere with an individuals nutrition, cause shame, and result in depression and weight gain.

Who Gets Sleep-Related Eating Disorders?

Both men and women are vulnerable to these disorders, but they are more common among women. About one to three percent of the general population is affected and 10% to 15% of people with eating disorders are affected by sleep-related eating disorders. Many of these individuals diet during the day, which may leave them hungry and vulnerable to binge eating at night when their control is weakened by sleep In some cases, people with sleep-related eating disorders have histories of alcoholism, drug abuse and other sleep disorders.

How Are Sleep-Related Eating Disorders Treated?

Treatment of nocturnal eating behaviors begins with a clinical interview and may include an overnight stay in a sleep laboratory, where brain activity is monitored during the night. Medication sometimes can be helpful for these disorders; however, sleeping pills should be avoided as they can increase confusion and clumsiness that can lead to injury. Additional treatments may include methods to release stress and anxiety. Examples of these methods include stress management classes, assertiveness training, counseling, and limiting intake of alcohol and caffeine.

Reviewed by The Sleep Medicine Center at The Cleveland Clinic.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:02 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

thank you very much Dessert Rose (Im sorry I dont know your name...) Ive dealt with this most of my life and read many articles... maybe I just need to bite the bullet and see a doctor. Again, I appreciate the info.