Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2010, 05:18 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Jeffrey
Stats: 211/170/160 5'9"
WOE: Medi
Start Date: 5/25/2010
Ugh... Vegetables...

I am a rare one, but I am not a fan of many vegetables. The ones I do like are on my 'do not eat' list. I just started week two and I know I am going to really struggle to get my two cups of vegetables eaten.

How important are the vegetables? Are they really just to add in some variety or do they serve a greater purpose in this program? I should have probably asked this last night at my weigh in.
Jeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2010, 05:25 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ortal
Stats: 184/138/120 5'5"
Start Date: 4/26/2010
well, you need to eat them after week 1... they are really nutritious and they help things 'move along'. Plus I would say having something fresh in your diet is important.

However, my center says fruits OR vegetables. and 1 cup raw = 1/2 cup cooked.

I choose veggies cause I dont care for fruit but thats just me. Perhaps you can get away with just fruit. Are there ANY vegetables you like?
Ortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 05:42 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

I am not supposed to eat fruit until week 3. I love most fruits so that won't be a problem. Once I get through week 2 I will be happy.

I do like some vegetables, but they are all on my 'do not eat' list because they are too starchy.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:48 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

yeah.... most of those (corn, potatoes, ... my vices ) don't count as vegetables lol. unfortunately. Well get through the week, and you'll be set with fruit. I'm sure people here that are more culinary-inclined will be able to give you more ideas.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:32 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SLCDragon
Stats: 351/283/225
Start Date: May 20 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
I am a rare one, but I am not a fan of many vegetables. The ones I do like are on my 'do not eat' list. I just started week two and I know I am going to really struggle to get my two cups of vegetables eaten.

How important are the vegetables? Are they really just to add in some variety or do they serve a greater purpose in this program? I should have probably asked this last night at my weigh in.
I am in the same boat with you. Try to steam some broccoli.. it wasn't half bad.

Just like you I couldn't wait until week three, which is tomorrow!
SLCDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 07:06 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: suzanna1
Stats: 215/162.5/149 5'8" 38 years old
WOE: Medi Weightloss Clinic
How about using romaine leaves in place of tortillas? I add a few pieces of turkey, mustard, maybe a laughing cow wedge smeared. You could also brown some ground turkey with chili powder & cumin and make mini-tacos.

My husband was not a big fan of vegetables, but he loves zucchini and squash really thinly sliced and sauteed with thinly sliced onion and a little crumbled turkey bacon until it is cooked down almost to mush! I prefer mine al dente, so I pull my serving out a few minutes early.

Also, have you tried mashed cauliflower? Take cauliflower (I buy the bags from the freezer section). Cook the entire bag for about 10 minutes in the microwave with a little water, covered with cling wrap. Drain and put the cauliflower in a food processor. Add a little salt, pepper, fat free sour cream (or a laughing cow wedge, or a few sprays of butter spray) and process until it is mostly smooth. I can't tell the difference between this and mashed potatoes! Be careful with portions though. I know that cauliflower has kicked a few people on this board out of ketosis.
suzanna1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 07:38 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eptexy
Stats: 5'4 165/132/125
WOE: Medi Weightloss - Maintenance!!!
Start Date: March 2010
Butter lettuce makes a perfect "bowl" or "cup" for a wrap or fajitas. It's summer - you can grill just about anything. The best are yellow squash, zucchini, asparagus, onion. Spray some canola on and you're good to go! Roasted brussels sprouts with a little balsamic (watch the carbs) and sea salt & cracked pepper is amazing. And yes, mashed cauliflower is almost sinful!!!
eptexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:09 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nsjx
Stats: 203.5/159/159 - maintenance
WOE: medi
Start Date: April 17, 2010
I love romaine lettuce. I can have two cups in one sitting (usually lunchtime) and 1 cup broccoli for dinner - that's where most of my carbs comes from. Everything else is 500-600 protein. My question is can you have too much romaine lettuce. I checked and the cal and carbs are very low. It really fills me up and since I am not on the AS I was wondering if 2 cups at one sitting is too much?
nsjx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:58 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Don't worry about too much lettuce.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:01 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: suzanna1
Stats: 215/162.5/149 5'8" 38 years old
WOE: Medi Weightloss Clinic
nsjx ~ I would ask your clinic this question. I have seen posts saying that their clinic said that lettuce was "free". My clinic does not have "free" foods. I will say that 2 cups of romaine lettuce has 15 calories, 2 grams of carbohydrate (one of which is fiber) according to ******. Personally, I don't think this is too much, especially in comparison to eating a serving of fruit in place of the lettuce.

ETA: I agree with Erin that too much lettuce is probably the least of our worries!
suzanna1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:17 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lins
WOE: Medi-weightloss
Start Date: 1/12/14
I don't eat a veggie/fruit everyday and my clinic said that was fine. I do like them, and eat them most days but it just doesn't always happen.
lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 10:46 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eptexy View Post
Don't worry about too much lettuce.
We didnt get overweight by eating too much lettuce
Old 06-02-2010, 11:01 AM   #13
Junior LCF Member

For lunch I had a couple large leaves of romaine lettuce with a small amount of fat free miracle whip and tuna. Not too terrible.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:07 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Hey, that's a great start!
Old 06-02-2010, 04:38 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lins
WOE: Medi-weightloss
Start Date: 1/12/14
I use Romaine as my "bread" all the time when making "sandwiches" and such. It's a great way to add a veggie. I had a Turkey roll up today. I spread some laughing cow cheese on the romaine, and added a few slices of turkey and rolled it up. It was really good!
lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 05:24 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Well I thought of you yesterday while doing a little recipe searching. There's something a lot of the weight watchers people like to do to get their veggies and fruits in. It's called a Green Monster and basically it's any kind of smoothie concoction with a couple of handfuls of fresh baby spinach mixed in. Apparently you don't taste the spinach at all and if you can get past the green color of the drink, it's quite tasty. You can't eat fruit quite yet but what if you blended spinach into your medi shake? I'm thinking the vanilla flavor plus crystal light of some kind and then the spinach?

In Wellness as of 6/4/2010!
Old 06-03-2010, 06:24 AM   #17
Junior LCF Member

I may try the protein shake + spinach idea. That sounds like it could be good.

Today I made a bowl of two cups of romaine and 4oz of chicken breast. I will give the shake idea a try tomorrow and see how it goes.

I am also just beginning to really not want to eat anything, and last night I had to force myself to eat. So crazy that it would be difficult to eat 500 calories a day. I have never before had to force myself to eat.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:00 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Check out the drink thread here for more ideas to add the spinach to.

Anyway, let us know what you think when you try it. I haven't been motivated to do it since I haven't had a problem getting my vegs in. Might be a good kick start breakfast idea though for the future!

Oh and about the eating or lack thereof. If I were you, I would cut back slightly on the appetite suppressant if you can because sooner than later, you will start to get hungry as your body gets used to it. That's when it starts to get difficult! I was taking just 2 AS a day and skipping the morning one since I didn't need it then. I found some extras just yesterday in my medicine cabinet and was giddy. Shows you how addicting they are. lol (Not dangerously of course but still...)

Last edited by eptexy; 06-03-2010 at 07:03 AM..
Old 06-03-2010, 07:27 AM   #19
Junior LCF Member

They have me on the StaySlim pill. My blood pressure was a bit high so they decided to not give me the prescription one that starts with a 'P'. I will talk with them at my next weigh in and see if I should cut back on the appetite suppressant.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:06 AM   #20
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: With Gratitude
Stats: Start: 188 / 180.0 / 120 / Goal dress size: 4-6
WOE: MediWeightLoss Clinics
Start Date: 6/9/10
Jeffrey,
You may want to consider checking out the brand, "SYNTAX" Nectar versions of their protein powders. I actually drink green veggie smoothies all the time (well not this week since I just started) and I don't think I'd personally like mine with a creamy consistency of a milkshake. (You might?) However with fruit, I think it would taste much better.

All Nectar versions of (3 or 4 different versions and within each version, some have various flavors) have: 23g protein per serving / 0 carbs / 0 sugar - sweetened with either sucralose or stevia for their naturals flavors. It's a whey isolate protein so they mix incredibly well in water. They have many, many flavors...you can order them online or at local stores such as Vitamin Shoppe. Runs approx $34 for a HUGE, HUGE container. I have 1 per day to help get low calorie protein in, in lieu of the MWL shakes...I was just thinking you can mix one of the fruit flavors w/ some veggies in a smoothie to make it more palatable for you?
With Gratitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 07:09 AM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: With Gratitude
Stats: Start: 188 / 180.0 / 120 / Goal dress size: 4-6
WOE: MediWeightLoss Clinics
Start Date: 6/9/10
spinach + scrambled eggs is easy to get in if you chop up the spinach...how about minced onions, chopped spinach + scrambled eggs? Seasoned zuchinni & yellow squash? Chicken w/ a spring mix salad?
With Gratitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:51 AM   #22
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: taw62
Stats: HT.5'5" SW 185/CW 153/GW 140
WOE: Medi Weight Loss
Start Date: 3/10/10 (Medi 6/10/10)
Jeffrey,

One person's dissenting opinion on the veggie topic - I don't like them, never have, never will. All the dieticians, doctors and everyone else will tell you that is blasphemy and one can't possiblly be healthy without them - but everyone is different and there are many healthy individuals who don't eat them.

My point is, do what seems appropriate for you and go with it - you will do fine. Plenty of folks have success on this (and other) diet plans without following every single rule to the letter.

Tracey

PS Speaking of diet 'rules' here is an interesting article for everyone's perusal:
Dartmouth Medical School - 'Drink at Least 8 Glasses of Water a Day' - Really?
taw62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 05:05 AM   #23
Junior LCF Member

I am now on week 6 and have had very few vegetables and feel great. My clinic said it is fine to not eat the vegetables if I am able since I am getting the multivitamin. I occasionally have some fruit but that is rare as well. Its crazy that I am completely satisfied with eating almost only meat. Carbohydrates don't even sound like something I want to eat, and I am hoping that this continues once I reach my goal. I know if I can maintain a low carbohydrate diet I won't eat as much as I used to and will be able to control hunger much better.

I am getting closer to my goal every week, and am really enjoying the money I am saving from not eating out so much as well. This program is expensive but I was spending about 3 times as much money each week stuffing my face at fast food places.

I am hoping to be near my goal in the next 4 weeks, just in time for my wifes 10 year class reunion. (she is thrilled about this.) I have lost 31 lbs in 6 weeks, and it is simply amazing. I lost 20lbs two years ago in 4 months through intense exercise, and medi has been simple and easy to do for me since I guess I am natural carnivore anyway.
Goal Weight: 160 lbs
Current Weight: 170.5 lbs
Total Lost: 41.0 lbs
Weeks in Program: 11 Weeks
Old 07-07-2010, 12:10 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Charlene4
Stats: 154.5/135/135
WOE: vegan/vegetarian
Start Date: June 7,2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
I am now on week 6 and have had very few vegetables and feel great. My clinic said it is fine to not eat the vegetables if I am able since I am getting the multivitamin. I occasionally have some fruit but that is rare as well. Its crazy that I am completely satisfied with eating almost only meat. Carbohydrates don't even sound like something I want to eat, and I am hoping that this continues once I reach my goal. I know if I can maintain a low carbohydrate diet I won't eat as much as I used to and will be able to control hunger much better.

I am getting closer to my goal every week, and am really enjoying the money I am saving from not eating out so much as well. This program is expensive but I was spending about 3 times as much money each week stuffing my face at fast food places.

I am hoping to be near my goal in the next 4 weeks, just in time for my wifes 10 year class reunion. (she is thrilled about this.) I have lost 31 lbs in 6 weeks, and it is simply amazing. I lost 20lbs two years ago in 4 months through intense exercise, and medi has been simple and easy to do for me since I guess I am natural carnivore anyway.

I like what you said about "all the money you're saving"....it's funny....cause when I started the program I thought I would have less money. I thought between the actual cost of the program and the cost of what I thought was going to be more expensive groceries that I would be broke. I used to eat out a lot too, especially at lunchtime and now I never do. I have saved so much. I spend about 2/3 of what I did before at the grocery store, for my family and I. It's a pleasant surprise. It really makes that program even more worth it.
Charlene4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:37 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Charlene, I need to know what your shopping list consists of because I'm spending quite a bit! I think I'm just concerned with making sure my kids have a variety of things? Who knows. Money just got very tight though and I'd love some tips!
Old 07-08-2010, 11:34 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Charlene4
Stats: 154.5/135/135
WOE: vegan/vegetarian
Start Date: June 7,2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by eptexy View Post
Charlene, I need to know what your shopping list consists of because I'm spending quite a bit! I think I'm just concerned with making sure my kids have a variety of things? Who knows. Money just got very tight though and I'd love some tips!
Well, I guess it might be less cause I'm vegetarian too...I used to easily spend 300 every two weeks! Now I'm at about 150-200. My husband and son are also veggies. The cost of meat is pretty expensive! I usually buy (for myself) veggie slices soy cheese, Quorn "Chikn" cutlets, Yves Veggie Dogs (delicious and only 50 calories!), tofurky products and various lower carb Morningstar/Boca "fake meat" products. I also buy Designer Whey brand protein powder or Aria Soy/Whey protein because it is ok for MWL, good and CHEAP. It's only like 12.59 a container. The Aria brand is my favorite because one serving is only 80 calories....that is, if you don't mind soy (I know a lot of people avoid it). For the family, I do have to make time to bargain shop. I literally go to, usually, three different stores to get the best deals on everything and to get the "right things". I buy the basics at Super Target or Walmart because they are cheaper than any other place and then I usually go to Kroger and Whole Foods (or Central Market) for the stuff they don't usually carry at bigger chain stores. For the family I buy lots of fruits and veggies (luckily my kiddo is into healthy food), almond milk, almonds, light popcorn, various veggie proteins like tofu and the above mentioned stuff. My son is only 3 1/2 so he is not very demanding as far as food choices as of now. He is pretty happy with whatever we give him. The only things we must keep in stock at all times for him to be happy is apples, bananas and grapes. Logistically, I am not exactly sure why I have saved so much money but I think it is partially due to the fact that I am eating less and my husband is eating less as a result of me not cooking or preparing something ALL THE TIME and I also think the MAIN factor is that I spread my shopping out now. I used to do one big shopping trip every two weeks and now I buy a little at a time and think it out and make sure to have a list. I used to just go and buy whatever looked or sounded good. I would waste a lot of produce because it would go bad before we could eat it all. I don't know if that helps at all...
Charlene4 is offline   Reply With Quote