Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2010, 02:27 PM   #61
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Fit2010
Stats: Ht 5'3" Wt 12/09=190;9/10=137;2/14=196.5
WOE: MediWeightLoss-like/Atkins-like
Start Date: 12-28-09; restart 02-07-14
irabeslim-you just GOTTA increase your water intake. The protein diet alone is dehydrating because there is not liquid (so much) in the proteins themselves. Then you are exercising and your body needs the water to replenish your hard working muscles (remember you are also have water losses weekly!). Then on top of that, you're not eating fiber, and eating less period...so what is "in there" can be dry and STAY dry....I don't think I need to explain further. Really try to have celery daily, and drink your 100 to 128 oz of water daily. Do what your body needs. I've discussed with my daughter (who is NOT on this WOE but does eat a protein diet due to reactive hypoglycemia) that your body needs to have things move along routinely....ideally not less than every 4 days or so. Otherwise, it expands and dilates the colon....you could be setting yourself up for diverticulits and even colon CA. Consider this extreme acute phase of WOE as temporary and do what you need to do (take the Miralax, eat the celery, BE healthy!!). Later, after you've lost the weight, you can build back up to more foods that have water in them naturally. Definitely talk to your Medi doc about this. Just don't get hooked on stimulants like Senna....that won't be good routinely. And, you may need to have evaluation for if you need an antidepressant, as I mentioned that the intestines act like the second brain and slow down or speed up when we're under stress. First place to start though is increasing your water intake!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2010, 06:10 PM   #62
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: marymo
Stats: 292/197/187
WOE: Medi Weight Loss Clinic
Start Date: Dec 2, 2009
Hi, Everyone! Have not posted in awhile. Had some issues the last few weeks. I am still losing weight but it is very, very slow!

I was doing great and really picked up on my exercising and did a 10K walk in 90 minutes.
I live in Polk County, Lakeland FL (like LINS) It has been really hot here. Well, I got a kidney stone "attack" twice in one week!! So I thought I have been drinking enough water, but now that it is so hot, I have to drink more as the 'kidney gets dehydrated and then stones gets formed". This has been a real downer for me as I have to "quit" working out so hard. This happened to me years ago when I lost weight and then work out hard, then whammo, I get a kidney stone. In the past, I would give up as I feel like I cannot do this WOE without exercising.

The doctor says for me to start swimming for the summer. I am going to try that this weekend but not sure if it will help with the weight loss. Walking is so easy, when I walked during lunch hour, after work, etc. I like to walk fast, not slow. But it is discouraging to not see the scale move downward faster than I like. I really wanted to reach my goal to be under 200 by July 1st. But then to have this kidney stone issue really frustrated me. However, I have to keep reminding myself that I have lost over 80 lbs so far and I am down 3-4 sizes. I have had many great comments from friends and family.

I will have to accept it that I will get to my goal weight but at a slower pace for now. I also really need to drink more. I drink about 80-84 ounces day and feel so waterlogged.

Sorry, this is not a cheery message for you to read! But just had to write!

Pre-MWL: -5 loss then Month 1: -23 ~ Month 2: -12.5 ~ Month 3: -12 ~ Month 4: -10.8 ~ Month 5: -10.5 ~ Month 6: -8.2 ~ Month 7: -8.6 ~ Month 8: 4.4 ~~
Total Loss 95 lbs in 8 months ~~
Goodbye 200s!! Whoo! Hoo! Hallelujah! God is great! I am in ONEderland! 10 more pounds to my goal!
“Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much.” -- Helen Keller
“What I am looking for is not "out there", it is in me” -- Helen Keller
Old 06-03-2010, 06:23 PM   #63
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Desert-Rose7
Stats: 5'11"/262/150/150
WOE: MediWeightLoss
Start Date: 12/19/08 in Wellness since 09/03/2009
Good to hear from you Mary! Take care of yourself , first and foremost. You know, it is pretty doggone hot out here in AZ as well. I have gone well over the 128 oz of water almost every day. I walk pretty early in the day, and take a liter of water with me, and an extra liter in a little canvas bag. Yep, two liter walks already and the temp is barely hitting 100. As the summer progresses, I will get to 3 liter walk days. I sweat most of it out, but can tell if I am getting dehydrated. Yes, I have PowerAde Zero and LifeWater 0 and even a couple of cups of coffee a day....that is in ADDITION to my water. I do use SmartWater (actually TraderJoe's edition of same) and I CAN tell the difference when I just use regular water. You can also tell by the color of your urine, it should be light yellow and the darker it is is, the more dehydrated you are becoming. Sorry for the details but it does help you regulate your water intake.

Also weigh yourself before exercise and after. IF you lose weight you are becoming dehydrated. If you GAIN weight after working out in the heat, you can have some other problems along the way. These are things my doc told me and my clinic verified as well.

Just up that water intake, girl, and hang in there. You are doing very very well. And the closer you get to goal the slower the weight comes off, to the point of being excruciatingly slow. But you WILL get there! And swimming will be good for you too!

hugs from Jo

Last edited by Desert-Rose7; 06-03-2010 at 06:44 PM..
Old 06-03-2010, 06:34 PM   #64
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: marymo
Stats: 292/197/187
WOE: Medi Weight Loss Clinic
Start Date: Dec 2, 2009
Jo, you are a great pick-me-upper!

Thanks, Jo! I needed that! Some of your tips - I am going to try and take heed to. Come to think of it! My throat feels parched so gonna go drink a bottle of water now, smile! Love ya all!
Old 06-03-2010, 06:45 PM   #65
Major LCF Poster!

Anytime Mary, anytime!

Jo
Old 06-03-2010, 08:01 PM   #66
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mommy2princesses
Stats: Ht 5'7'' 259.6/156/165
WOE: Medi Weight Loss
Start Date: May 11, 2010
I was just looking through all the recipe threads (in preparation for a trip to Trader Joe's tomorrow!) and was wondering - any one have a recipe for Taco Salad? or Coleslaw?

Also, any "must-haves" at Trader Joe's?

Thanks!
Old 06-03-2010, 08:49 PM   #67
Major LCF Poster!

I did find a Taco Salad recipe, but it really needs some tweaking. And that will drop the calories even more. I will add it to the appropriate recipe thread.

Jo
Old 06-04-2010, 07:22 AM   #68
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SonoRoo
Stats: 5'1" ~ 187.6/162/115
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: May 20, 2010
Went for my second weigh in yesterday and I was down 2.5 lbs from the previous week. I had a a few days around my previous weigh in where my weight stabilized before I started exercising. After that I started to lose again. I think the second week just seems to be that week where your body says "Whoa, wait, what's happening here? Let's take a second to stop and reassess what's happening." And once that is done then body starts losing again. It's so nice to have this message board where you can see that this is the normal progression because otherwise you would get so frustrated and want to quit.

I don't particularly care for the journal unless I am out and about on a non-work day and I need to track what I am eating different from what I had planned. Right now I use ****** to track everything. Does anyone else use this program? I love it and it is super useful, especially on work days where I can plan my whole day worth of food and then take it with me.

Hope everyone else is doing well and sticking with it. Good luck and hope today is a wonderful day!!!

Do Over Mini Goal: at or below 160 before May
Old 06-04-2010, 07:37 AM   #69
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Sweedei
Stats: 194/156/140 (5'4")
WOE: Medi
Start Date: May 6, 2010
I would definitely say to increast your water from 64 oz to the recommended 128 oz. I like to use Benefiber. I get the powder in the little packets you can add to liquids and foods. There is no taste. I take 3 packets of those a day and it seems to work ok for me. But of course, I can't slack on the water intake. The more water I drink, the better chances I have on going.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:24 AM   #70
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ortal
Stats: 184/138/120 5'5"
Start Date: 4/26/2010
So Im leaving for a mini-vacation to philadelphia in half an hour... Ive got snacks packed and plans in mind... wanna try to walk every day if the weather holds up. Have a fantastic week everyone!!
Old 06-04-2010, 08:51 AM   #71
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eptexy
Stats: 5'4 165/132/125
WOE: Medi Weightloss - Maintenance!!!
Start Date: March 2010
Have fun Ortal!

Sono I love tracking on line! I use the Daily Plate. They have an iPhone app as well which makes it easy to sync up between mac, iPad, iPhone. I hated that little journal. I especially love being able to customize my calorie and carb goals.

Well today was the day! I weighed in at 129 with a 5 lb fat loss. I'm officially in short term maintenance now with 1000 calories a day and 100 grams of carbs. They recommended I keep that under 50 though for now. Next week I get even more calories and will talk to the PA about everything. Basically the material given to me explained FDA guidelines and low glycemic foods.

They recommend 60 minutes of rigorous exercise most days. They still want me to add 1/2 my exercise calories burned back in as well.

Total lost was 36 pounds! Wow! Now to work on the inside now that I'm not hiding behind fat. Having a difficult time with that but I'll explain more in another post.

Have a great day all and thanks for always being here! I'm so excited about the orowheat sandwich thin for lunch! lol

In Wellness as of 6/4/2010!
Old 06-04-2010, 08:53 AM   #72
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: suzanna1
Stats: 215/162.5/149 5'8" 38 years old
WOE: Medi Weightloss Clinic
Congratulations, Erin!!! Woo-hoo for 129!!!!!
Old 06-04-2010, 08:56 AM   #73
Senior LCF Member

Congrats eptexy!!! That's awesome! I am so excited for you! It's always inspirational to see someone meet or exceed their goals.

Have fun Ortal!
Old 06-04-2010, 12:42 PM   #74
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert-Rose7 View Post
I did find a Taco Salad recipe, but it really needs some tweaking. And that will drop the calories even more. I will add it to the appropriate recipe thread.

Jo
Jo - Thanks for finding recipe! Definitely going to attempt that...possibly this weekend!!!
Old 06-04-2010, 01:55 PM   #75
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: irabeslim
Stats: 5'2" - 253/140/140
WOE: MWL
Start Date: January 21st, 2010
Thank you, fit2010. I know the dangers of constipation. Now how do I make myself drink that much water? And also if I eat celery sticks - do I need to count them as my veggies? That would be terrible since I don't like them and that would prevent me eating other veggies that I like.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:45 PM   #76
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lins
WOE: Medi-weightloss
Start Date: 1/12/14
Remember that I'm still hormonal, and coming off a 1lb gain week so my attitude can't really be trusted.....lol BUT I am just worried that I am not going to lose any more weight. I know that's silly because this program does work and I have stuck to it completely. I think my worry comes because I haven't seen these numbers in so many years that it's hard to belive that I can actually keep lose weight. I've tried and failed so many times before that it seems almost impossible to actually succed at weight loss. Does anyone else feel this way? I've had an amazing few days as far as eatting goes. I haven't gotten as much excersice in because my hubby is out of town this week and it's been raining a lot. Normally I am a runner so I've had to do some indoor activies which I don't enjoy as much. But I know that the on plan eatting alone will help me lose weight even if I don't get to run. So once again, my HEAD knows that I am being silly but I still can't seem to shake this "too good to be true" feeling.

I did get the books that were recommended on my week 7 (I think) paper. I finished reading At peace with food and really got a lot out of it. The other 3 are sitting in my desk, and I will start one of those tomorrow. Has anyone else read a book that was helpful?
Old 06-05-2010, 06:40 AM   #77
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: KimNC
Stats: 175/158.2/135
Start Date: 6/5/2010
Hello All!!! Went to the Charlotte NC Medi Clinic yesterday, went out to Outback with my family for my last hoorah last night, and today is the day!!! I've been reading up on the forums and feel like I know some of you already. I'm SO excited to lose all this weight and feel like me again! So, nice to meet all of you, and I can't wait to walk this journey with you all!
Old 06-05-2010, 07:59 AM   #78
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lins View Post
Does anyone else feel this way? ...... So once again, my HEAD knows that I am being silly but I still can't seem to shake this "too good to be true" feeling.

Has anyone else read a book that was helpful?
Oh yes, I felt exactly like you! Right around that half way mark. I didn't trust the program OR my body because each have continuously betrayed me in the past. This really truly will work for you if you keep doing what you are doing. I consistently lost but when I had only a slight loss one week, the next week I lost quite a bit to make up for it.

You are smart to read the books. I'm really struggling with getting to know my body and establishing a new relationship with food right now. I'm reading When Food Is Love and it's showing me that the obsession with food/diet is merely a distraction for the fact that I never feel like I'm good enough... which stems from a very critical mother and absent father. It's definitely a work in progress. Like last week, I brought up plastic surgery to my husband. I can start at the top of my head and work my way down to my toes about things I wish I could change. That's just not right. I love the Medi program but one thing newbies need to prepare for is because of the rapid weight loss, it kind of leaves you in shock emotionally. Or at least it did me...
Old 06-05-2010, 08:01 AM   #79
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimNC View Post
Hello All!!! Went to the Charlotte NC Medi Clinic yesterday, went out to Outback with my family for my last hoorah last night, and today is the day!!! I've been reading up on the forums and feel like I know some of you already. I'm SO excited to lose all this weight and feel like me again! So, nice to meet all of you, and I can't wait to walk this journey with you all!
Hi Kim!!! I'm excited FOR you!! I remember that last dinner. I had chocolate cake and it wasn't even that good. lol
Old 06-05-2010, 09:25 AM   #80
Senior LCF Member

Ok, so I'm on week 3. I started feeling really wonky at work yesterday. I was doing an exam on a patient and just all of a sudden felt faint and weak. I was able to finish the exam and then one of the girls came in who had her blood sugar monitor and we tested mine and it was 74. I know this is not out of the normal range, but I felt bad. It really took a toll on me and I ended up eating one of the MWL chocolate bars, still felt bad and ate a small lollipop. After that I felt ok, but instead of my usual dinner I ended up eating a cup of full fat cottage cheese and 3 pineapple slices. Not really ideal, but it was all that they had that was even remotely acceptable in the hospital cafeteria. I checked this morning and I was still in ketosis and I didn't lose any weight, but I didn't gain any either.

Does anyone else get these blood sugar drops? That was just odd because it had not happened to me before. I definitely do not want for it to happen again because I can't afford to feel that way during an exam,but I don't want to load in a bunch of carbs either. Any ideas on how to keep this from happening again? Thanks!
Old 06-05-2010, 09:41 AM   #81
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kwanat
Stats: 210/175-180
Start Date: September 16, 2009-restart July 2011
BACK TO MEDI

today, i start back on medi...i moved to des moines iowa from orlando florida and with all the turmoil have gotten seriuosly off track. I have gain about 10lbs since february the last time i really and truly stuck to the medi way of life and i am very disappointed with myself. i know that i have the will power..just need the support. closest clinic to me is 5hours way in andover, kansas. i am going to florida this week and will stop in to my old clinic to get supplies. just needed to vent to keep my mind straight. the ladies at my orlando clinic were very supportive and i think spending the 70/week was my motivation to stick with the program. since i won't be going to the the clinic weekly, maybe i will put the 70/week up as a savings to achieve my goal.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:51 AM   #82
Major LCF Poster!

Hi SonoRoo - By your sign on name I'm guessing you're an ultrasound tech...? I'm an RN. I left my last job a few wks ago due to increased STRESS and no breaks for myself to eat...etc....it was awful and I felt like you described lots, and got irritable. To me, part of it was that I was getting dehydrated. Being on our protein mainly based WOE causes us to be in ketosis, which both alone make us dehydrated. I recommend that you take at least one bottle of Smart Water to work daily and make sure you drink that plus fill it up with tap water and drink that too, twice! Because we're not getting so many electrolytes in the diet we have to replace them. I hope you're taking the recommended Vitamins, etc. 74 blood sugar isn't SO bad (low) but if you've been used to higher your body reacts. You did the right thing eating protein, and it was ok in this instance to follow with a lollipop so you could truly function and stay at work. Now you know it really didn't make a difference in how you felt (the lollipop) so I'd recommend NOT doing that again. Focus more on eating protein every 2 1/2 hours so you have a steady burning fuel. Just even 2 ounces. Something that is quick and easy is to take ham slices and put low fat chive cream cheese on it...you can have these already made up prior to going to work. Something else is to just pop a Laughing Cow cheese wedge in your mouth! Hope this all helps. You'll figure it out

BTW, I teach nursing too and I'm off for the summer. In grad school nearly full-time. And just interviewed for an ER prn position. Welcome to the group!
Old 06-05-2010, 09:57 AM   #83
Major LCF Poster!

KimNC - Welcome to the group! Just remind yourself that the cake didn't taste so great after all. I've been on the program for several months and sometimes have thought of how great something would taste, only to try it and be disappointed. Blech! Once I've been eating "clean" for so long the fats, sugars, processed stuff just disappoints...it's like a coating on the tongue and then I realize it hasn't been all that delicious; plus it then makes me have ups and downs---poison I tell you!! Anyway, I know about that "last supper" mentality, but just don't idolize it. I hope you find this WOE quite wonderful....after you've been on it a few wks check out the recipe section of our site!
Old 06-05-2010, 10:00 AM   #84
Major LCF Poster!

kwanat - Welcome! I go to the Andover clinic Dr Cobb is wonderful, but that is a long way to go. You must really drive fast too, cuz I have family in Des Moines and it takes me 7 hours from here! If you get a good rate, perhaps you can save your $70/wk to fly back to Orlando once a month to see your clinic and your friends; that would be a nice self treat?!

You're probably getting many of the same questions I got asked 22 years ago when we moved to KS from San Diego! What took you to Iowa?

You look great...."talk" to you later!

Last edited by Fit2010; 06-05-2010 at 10:01 AM..
Old 06-05-2010, 11:27 AM   #85
Senior LCF Member

I had what I thought was a drop in my blood sugar a few weeks ago. I just all of a sudden felt awul, and flushed. My face got red and I had to sit down. I drank a huge glass water, and waited a few minutes and didn't feel better so I ate a cheese stick and then drank some poweraid zero, within 15 minutes I felt so much better. I don't know if it was the cheese (protein) or the electrolytes that made me feel better, but something sure worked. This also came at a time that I hadn't eatten in several hours. I know carry 8 almonds or a small peice of beef jerky with me in my purse. That way if I feel that way again I have a quick snack. I also keep a bottle of water in my car, even if it's warm it still works if I get dehydrated.

What do you guys take with you to eat if you can't keep it cool? I ate a medi bar this morning on my way out the door to take my girls to dance recital rehersal. Then I ate a few almonds while we were there because we didn't get out until 1:30. We have to be back up there at 5, and will be there until around 9. So I will kind of miss dinner. I cant' really take anything cold. I could but it would be a huge pain to take a lunch box(with all the other million things I already have to take). Any suggestions on what I can take with me to eat for "dinner". I do have beef jerky but that's about it. So far I had a Medi bar, 4oz pulled pork (no sauce), and 8 almonds.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:43 AM   #86
Major LCF Poster!

Lins - How about boiled eggs, string cheese, tuna packet? Have fun!
Old 06-05-2010, 07:19 PM   #87
Senior LCF Member

Lins - I totally understand the need to bring "food to go"! I have 2 girls - 4 1/2 & 2 - and feel like with all the activities they are involved in, I need to come up with some good ideas for me to bring along for food. I always have almonds, and find on those days I end up using a medi bar as a meal too.

With summer here, we tend to do lots of day trips (zoo, aquarium, etc) and sometimes we pack lunch, others we don't. We went to the zoo the other day (we had planned on spending a half day, girls were having fun - so we stayed through lunch) and I was able to get them both meals there. However, the only healthy option was a turkey wrap (with tomatoes, lettuce, cheese & mayo...I would've said no mayo and not eaten the wrap and just estimated what I thought were 3 or 4 oz of turkey) but they were all out of them! So, I didn't end up eating until about 3 pm....I felt so sick to my stomach, it was awful!

What does everyone else do? Do I just need to get really good about always packign lunch for myself? Would love some insight from those on the program awhile!

Thanks!

Over 100lbs. GONE FOREVER
Thanks to MWL!
8 months to Wellness....5/11/10 - 1/11/11
Old 06-05-2010, 07:20 PM   #88
Senior LCF Member

Quick question - tomorrow I am cooking chicken in the crock pot with salsa - I won't be eating the salsa...I'm having it with a salad...but how do I account for the salsa in my calories for the day? Do I not count it, because its just a cooking medium for the chicken?

Thanks!
Old 06-05-2010, 07:49 PM   #89
Senior LCF Member

I am wearing this everyday....lol My girls were in a dance recital tonight, and I had to wear dark colors because I was the backstage mom. So I just wore a dark wash Capri pant (now in size 10...wahoo!), and a black tank top. Nothing fancy. But I seriously had 6 people tell me how amazing I looked. Some of them I had seen in the last couple of weeks, some of them I haven't seen in awhile. It makes me want to wear this everyday.

I ended up taking a cheese stick and some beef jerky. When I got home tonight I realized I was a few calories short, so I had a laughing cow cheese wedge to make sure I made it to 500 calories for today. I was on my feet ALL day, so I really didn't want to go under on calories. I didn't get any exercise done except run around collecting kids for the recital. I am super tired tonight, so I guess I got some sort of activity in.

My hubby comes home tomorrow after being gone since monday. I can't wait to go run!
Old 06-05-2010, 09:47 PM   #90
Senior LCF Member

Thanks lins & Fit2010. Yes, I am a sonographer! I really love what I do. I wasn't dehydrated because I am very careful to drink 64 or more oz of water a day as well as about 6 oz of Coke Zero (trying to wean off the caffeine). I also put at least one Crystal Light packet in with the electrolytes a day, sometimes 2. I definitely won't be doing the lollipop again. It was not a wise decision but it was what was readily available. It doesn't help that we are on call 24/7 right now to cover for techs who aren't allowed to do vascular exams. Very tired as of late, but I still make sure to exercise. I think it was just a one off and I will be eating protein every few hours from now on. Thanks!!!
Closed Thread