Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Medi Weightloss (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/medi-weightloss/)
-   -   Confused about net carbs and carbs (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/medi-weightloss/676584-confused-about-net-carbs-carbs.html)

Azurro 05-28-2010 10:27 AM

Confused about net carbs and carbs

Hi all- Can someone please explain thedifference between net carbs and carbs?
Also I am confused as to how many carbs we are supposed to have?

Thanks so much and have a great weekend!!

lins 05-28-2010 01:27 PM

My suggestions is to talk to your clinic. Different clinics say different things about counting net carbs vs. total carbs, and how many total carbs you are allowed. So it's best to just call them and ask.

SonoRoo 05-29-2010 12:55 PM

I just had the same question in my mind. My clinic has never specified one or the other, but I would assume only net carbs since fiber is not used by the body as an energy source. You would want to count what sticks to you, not what passes through you. :blush:

middlechild 05-30-2010 08:01 AM

carb count

I asked my clinic how many carbs to eat when I started week 2 and was told to stay within 20-40 but to watch the ketosis stick. So if it lightens up I know I'm eating too many carbs. I have been counting total carbs and trying to stay under 20 so maybe I can have more if the fiber gms don't really count.

NOT2fat4fun 06-01-2010 07:59 PM

This program is low carb eating - which is why you have to watch the ketosis... My clinic says around 20 carbs a day while on acute. MY body is smarter that the 'net carb' count and knows that I am trying to fool it - I have to go with the real carb count in food. I slowed down my weight loss when I tried to do anything other than that. My suggestion is to stay with counting carbs (not net carbs)while you really get in the swing of the program...

With Gratitude 06-13-2010 07:15 AM

I was told to subtract both the fiber AND the sugar alcohols in each serving and I would get net carbs and to go by that number. ie: if a syrup has xylitol in it, you'll have some sugar alcohols. So it may b 7carbs with 5 sugar alcohols so the net carbs you'd count is 2. Same with fiber. Wish the centers would all have consistent information.

Desert-Rose7 06-13-2010 09:38 AM

I agree with Macauley. A carb is a carb. A carb by any other name is still a carb. I STILL count carbs as carbs. Net carb/sugar alcohols be darned. You are still dealing with carbohydrates. And, like Macauley, my body DOES know the difference.

Jo

eptexy 06-13-2010 05:43 PM

My clinic says net carbs and that's what I do.

kristenb 06-13-2010 06:20 PM

The formula for net carbs is as follows:

Total Carbs - Fiber - Sugar Alcohols = Net Carbs

That being said, I stick to below 20 net carbs per day, though often I have much less than that. I agree that it is important to find out how your body reacts to the carbs v. net carbs. Try it one way the first week and another way the second week. If you don't see a difference in your weight loss, just go with net carbs.

mommy2princesses 06-14-2010 09:04 AM

I just asked this question last week at my clinic - I count total # of carbs and was told between 20-40, NEVER go over 40 and that 30 is my ideal #. I usually end up between 25-30 (depends if I eat a medi bar that day or not).

eptexy 06-14-2010 09:09 AM

I think it's all relative then. I was told between 10 and 20 and to count net carbs. If I did total carbs I'd be between 20-40 while in acute.

Mom on a mission 06-15-2010 04:36 AM

My clinic says to count total carbs. I'm. Told to stay under 25g/day. It's very odd to me that several clinics are not in sync with each other on this one considering it's a WOE based around carb consumption. :confused:

Don't get me wrong- I actually prefer to count total carbs. The app I use on my iPhone to track my food counts total as well. It takes away the room for a calculating error when subtracting fiber and sugar alcohols.

NOT2fat4fun 06-16-2010 05:41 PM

Hey mom- what app are you using?

lins 06-20-2010 04:22 PM

I was told to stay under 24 carbs and to count net carbs only on Medi bars of the like. Which is a really good thing because I was REALLY struggling before I started eatting a Medi bar in the morning. I now eat one almost every morning and it's been soooo great. I think you have to do what is best for you. Yes carbs are carbs but as long as you are staying in ketosis and losing weight then I don't think it matters if you count net carbs or carbs. As long as you are happy and you are finding the results you hope for, then keep doing what you are doing. If you stop losing weight or want it to go a bit quicker than try only counting carbs and see if that makes a difference (it doesn't for me).

My clinic told me to count net carbs, that I could drink a glass of wine every once in awhile, and that it's okay to have a TINY bit of a sweet from time to time, as long as I stayed in ketosis and was happy with my results. I trust what my clinic tells me over what people on the board tell me. And I have never been out of ketosis.