Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2010, 05:03 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cherliquidair
Stats: 270/247/150
WOE: Medi
Start Date: 04-21-10
Struggling....

Background: Started in May 09, lost 55lbs. Had to go off plan due to finances, and put 48 back on.

Restarted 04/10 and have lost 12 in 3 weeks.

Now, I am in wk 4, and I am struggling. I find myself stress and emotional eating. There is a lot of stress that I deal with, and I find myself going to one extreme or the other. I either don't eat, or I binge. I started yesterday on plan, screwed the day, and ended on plan. When I say screwed the day, I am talking about nachos, cheetos, cookies and french toast sticks. It is like anything that I could find when in my mouth. I almost felt like a toddler....in my hands, in my mouth.

Is anyone else having this problem?? When I was on the plan the first time, I did great. Now, it seems like I can't seem to get it together.

Any ideas???
cherliquidair is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2010, 05:50 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: suzanna1
Stats: 215/175/149 5'8" 38 years old
WOE: Medi Weightloss
You need to find another way to deal with the stress. Know that the wrong foods are not going to solve any problems, make you less stressed, or help you reach your goal. When I feel like eating something that doesn't help me reach my goals, I redirect. I have a list of other things that I can do including going for a walk, painting my nails, brushing my teeth or putting on a teeth whitening strip, calling a friend, going shopping (non-food like Stein Mart or Home Goods), cleaning my car or house, working in the yard, chewing sugarfree gum... In order to reduce stress, I workout.

Are you on the appetite suppressant? Maybe you need to ask the doctor to increase your dosage. After 3 weeks, I added a 4th pill in the afternoon. I was told that you build up a tolerance to the medication after a while.

Another recommendation is "The Thin Commandments" by Dr. Stephen Gullo or his 1st book "Thin Tastes Better". They both helped me understand why I ate and how to keep my compulsion to eat under control.

I hope that helps!
suzanna1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:42 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ortal
Stats: 184/138/120 5'5"
Start Date: 4/26/2010
I know its very cliche... but working out really helps me deal with stress. Even if its a walk, id rather be doing that then sitting at home eating.

I deal with a lot of stress. Single mom, working full time, not the bestrelationship, student. But I try to think to myself, would I rather deal with all this being overweight or the right weight? If my boyfriend and I break up, do Iwant to be skinny or fat? It really helps keep me in check since I know a lot of my happiness/unhappiness is tied into my weight.

Good luck, Im on AIM/Skype if you ever want to chat (I know having someone to talk to really helps me), just message me

Mini Goal - 130 by 10/30
Ultimate Goal - 120 by the end of the year.
Ortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 10:13 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: KTeacherNC
Stats: 226.6/205.2/150
Start Date: May 2010
I tend to self sabatoge as well. So I want to say great job on ending the day on plan. On any other diet when I screwed up during the day, I'd say oh well and just keep eating since I already blew the day. One thing that has been helping me is chewing SF gum. I too think I may need an increase in my AS. I feel hungry frequently and I am trying very hard to distinguish stomach hunger from head hunger. I make a list of things to do instead of eat. When I feel like I'm not going to be able to control myself with eating, I either come on here (which actually helps so much-you'll be seeing me a lot! or I do something off of that list such as exercise (even if it is just a walk) or paint my nails. Anything to get my mind off of food. I'm struggling too. I'm one of those who can't quite figure out why I eat...I'm tired of hearing Oprah say "there's a reason why you're fat." I just really like food! lol But I know I eat emotionally as well. Another thing that helped me was something that the minister at church was talking about a few weeks ago. He said make a T chart for some big challenge that you're facing right now. Put the pros of it on one side and the cons on the other. It helps to look at my T chart for being overweight. There's one good thing about it-I could eat whatever I wanted whenever I wanted. But the list of cons goes on and on and on. This is actually what made me decide to join Medi. I was going to wait until the summer and finally I said NO! No more waiting! Do it now! Take it day by day or like me hour by hour. You can do this. You are stronger than the hold food has over you. Thats what I tell myself anyway...
KTeacherNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:24 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Thank you all for the words of encouragement. I have started the day great!! I was actually home this AM so I made a hot breakfast instead of my usual. I have decided that it is time to pick up cross-stitching again. When I started Medi the first time, I really went to town on it. It kept my mind and my hands busy. *not to mention the stack of X-mas gifts I made*

I have a weigh-in on wednesday, and I know I will not have lost for the second week in a row....BUT...I will not beat myself up over it....no more feeling like crap because I "failed"!! Positive thoughts only!!

Thanks again all....I am sure I will be haunting the boards more often now that I have found this wonderful place!
Old 05-17-2010, 06:50 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

my weighin is thursday too!! * crosses fingers for us **
Old 05-17-2010, 09:13 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: slbpl61
Stats: 5'8" 206/203/165
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 08/16/2013 Restart
Ortal,

I'm wondering if there is something in the air...haha... because I have had so much trouble staying motivated these past 2 weeks. Your posts have hit home. I was doing so well and despite traveling last week and skipping last week's weigh-in, I can't seem to get it together. My Week 12 weigh-in is this Friday. I should just go in earlier. The one thing I have noticed is the lack of effectiveness of my AS. That makes me nervous because they have worked so well and although I know they are only temporary I hope I can continue into maintenance without them. Maybe they can increase my dosage as I only have another 20 pounds to lose and would love to do that in a month before my wedding. I am happy with my accomplishments to date but these last 20 would be the icing on the cake....ok....poor analogy, lol. If you'd like to private message here, feel free. I could use all the support and inspiration I can get.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:40 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

If I can figure out how to PM you I will

The one piece of advice I can say is DO NOT STOP WEIGHING IN. thats how I gained all the weight back. I wasn't working for a while so I had all this time to work out and eat right. Then Igot back to work and I couldnt weigh myself at *Just* the right time of day (In the AM after I went to the bathroom) so I kept saying Ill do iton the weekend... but then I wasnt home... then I was afraid of the number... I didn't weigh myself for almost a year and a half and at my first WI at Medi I told them DO NOT TELL ME MY WEIGHT. I only found a week later that Id gained back every single pound I lost.

I know they say to do it once a week but it keeps me honest.
The AS I can only take 2 of... If I take one any time after like 2pm I cannot sleep without a pill. I do find it somewhat effective but not entirely.

Ill definitely try to PM you. I know that its easier when you have someone to talk to (which is why I now check this board so often)
Old 05-18-2010, 05:42 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

PS your stats are awesome!!! Id LOVE to do what you did in the amount of time you did.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:03 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lins
WOE: Medi-weightloss
Start Date: 1/12/14
I read a book called the Beck Diet solutions last summer and it really helped me, it would really go along with this program, but it helped me realize my eatting style. Stress eatting, emotional eatting, eatting from bordem..... So now I can stop myself ahead of time and solve that problem with something else instead of food. I also just got a book called Women Food and God, and it's suppose to be about the same thing. Realizing that food is not the problem, it's something else, and you need to work on that, and the food issues will start to be easier. I'll let you know what I think after I read it.

My point to this is that sometimes a book can help you get motivated again. I am a reader, so when I am having a difficult eatting day I read a diet magazine or a diet book, or article on the internet and it makes me feel like I can do it again.

The other also gave food advice, keep busy, get away from the food, don't allow non-medi food into your house. Even if you have other people at home, junk food isn't good for them either so a total pantry/fridge makeover is a good thing for everyone.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:56 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eptexy
Stats: 5'4 165/132/125
WOE: Medi Weightloss - Maintenance!!!
Start Date: March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by lins View Post
Even if you have other people at home, junk food isn't good for them either so a total pantry/fridge makeover is a good thing for everyone.
Amen sister!

Let me know how you like the book. I'd be very interested in reading it!
eptexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 05:58 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Sweedei
Stats: 194/156/140 (5'4")
Start Date: May 6, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by eptexy View Post
Amen sister!

Let me know how you like the book. I'd be very interested in reading it!
Yes, not having certain food items at home definitely helps. I used to grocery shop and buy all sorts of snacky foods for my hubby and family/friends who stop by. Not only does it save me $$$, but neither of us are tempted to have a handful of chips/cookies because its simply not there. If I don't want a celery stick, an apple or a boiled egg- then I must not be hungry.

I am also learning to stop tying in my affections with food. I entertain alot. I love to cook for family and friends. I was raised to be a hospitable person. You come over my house, usually the first thing I ask is, "You eat yet?" So you see, at first I was hesitant about having people over while on the plan- but then I realized in order for this to be a change of life for me- I am going to have to figure out ways to still live and be social (cause I just am), but at the same time not over indulge in my old ways.

Last night I listened to a motivational podcast on my husband's ipod (will be downloading on mine today!). It was about going thru tough times. I really appreciated the statement that if we live easy, life is hard but it if we push hard, it will get easy. So it was a testimate to perserverance for me. All these years, I have taken it "easy" with my health, my eating habits, not exercising. And now that I have my mind made up to be healthy, happy and focused, its tough. So, I am rewriting my life story. Surrounding myself with persons like-minded in health goals (like you guys!). I think about how good it would be to complete that 5K in August (eek!). I think about how much better healthy food tastes- I don't want to awaken my cravings to ruin all my hard work. I think about fitting comfortably in my clothes, and not being self concious because I am squeezing into my clothes. So positive thinking is key- I picture it, I see, I need it!

I love it that none of us are alone. Such wonderful support on this site. I have much further to go yet on my journey to weightloss and health. I already attribute good positive influence to my fellow LCF.
week 5: 177.8 (-3.4)
week 6: 176.4 (-1.4) & up 3 in body water
week 7: 172.6 (-3.8) Total -22#
Sweedei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 06:01 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

OK...WI today.....down 2.2 lbs. I REALLY thought that I was going to have another no loss week, and somehow I pull it off. I absolutely LOVE my counselor. I always have the same one, and she is my best cheerleader. The funny thing it, when I first saw her, I did not like her. Now, I could not do all of this without her. When I told her about falling off the wagon this past week, she asked me "Did you get it out of your system?" and then asked me "Did you get over yourself?" Of course the answer is yes.... She dropped my cal down to 550 today and told me that next week I should be down to 500.

Thanks to all that helped me get through the week....
Old 05-20-2010, 06:49 AM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: KTeacherNC
Stats: 226.6/205.2/150
Start Date: May 2010
I weigh in today. I dont think I did very well. I've been eating too many calories. I'm still hungry. Especially in the afternoons. *sigh* I don't want to beat myself up about not losing much this week, but last week I was only down 1.2! I need to get back on track and maybe go back to week 1 for the following week. I think that's my plan. I'll let you know what the outcome of the weigh in is...:blush:I feel embarassed when I weigh in and haven't lost much!
KTeacherNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 10:43 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sshals
Stats: 5'4" 264/192/132
Start Date: 02/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTeacherNC View Post
I weigh in today. I dont think I did very well. I've been eating too many calories. I'm still hungry. Especially in the afternoons. *sigh* I don't want to beat myself up about not losing much this week, but last week I was only down 1.2! I need to get back on track and maybe go back to week 1 for the following week. I think that's my plan. I'll let you know what the outcome of the weigh in is...:blush:I feel embarassed when I weigh in and haven't lost much!
At my clinic they say that 2-3 pounds a week is the range they want people to be in. Also, there are always going to be weeks when you lose less or more. When I first started I had this idea that I would lose 4-5 pounds a week every week. After the first two weeks that did not happen. I alternated between 2 pounds one week and 3 pounds the next for many weeks and ended up feeling frustrated and depressed. I think part of it was that I saw how much some people here were losing each week and I was upset that I wasn't losing as much as they were.

My point is - do not get discouraged and do not get hung up on comparing your weight lose to others. You will get it the swing of things, but you have to stay focused on yourself. Make a plan and do it!
Old 05-26-2010, 04:39 PM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: doitRight
Stats: 234.6/224.6/145
WOE: Medi weightloss
Start Date: April 1 2010
Great posts! Thank you all! I started medi on April 1st and I have made a fool of myself. I was only on plan for 3 weeks, Then life happened and I let it happen to my eating. I haven't been back to weigh in since the 2nd WI and I have been back to my old habits that got me to 240. I started medi at 234.6 after trying for 5 weeks to eat a vegetarian style. I am currently 227, so, I haven't gain it ALL back. I started WK 1 yesterday and I am going to call my clinic and see if they will take me for a WI next Tuesday. If ( and that's a big BIG IF) I stay on plan this week and go weigh in next Tuesday - I think I will believe in myself. Wow. Please keep me in mind this week. Thanks

Last edited by doitRight; 05-26-2010 at 04:44 PM..
doitRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 10:35 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sshals
Stats: 5'4" 264/192/132
Start Date: 02/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by doitRight View Post
I haven't been back to weigh in since the 2nd WI and I have been back to my old habits that got me to 240.
No matter what happens in any week - always go weigh in. When you give yourself permission to skip weighing in, you give yourself permission to stop holding yourself accountable for your actions and to quit.
Sshals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 12:43 PM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: smilincin
WOE: Medi Weight Loss Program. Low Carb
Start Date: 5/27/10
Week 1 Help

Hey All,

What an amazing site this is. I am on week 1 and cheating. My problem is this....I am never hungry just creature of a very bad habit. If my kiddo does not finish his plate, I do. I am on day 4, ruined it all yesterday....semi healthy choices, corn, 1/2 ww pizza....but not just protein. I am really aggravated with myself....I decided to put this out here to get some feedback......Again, my problem is not hunger, it's ridiculous bad habits and no will power. Any advice would be so much appreciated.
smilincin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 12:57 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: suzanna1
Stats: 215/175/149 5'8" 38 years old
Welcome, smilincin! You didn't ruin it all yesterday, you just took a little detour! It is time to get back to pure protein for the next few days to get back into ketosis.

I have been known to mindlessly nibble when I cook or clean up after a meal. My strategies include chewing a piece of sugar free minty gum while I am cooking, using a spritz of breath spray or a drop of cinnamon oil, and brushing my teeth as soon as I am finished with my own meal. Also remember the $70 per week that you are spending on the program!

You can do this, you just have to want to be thin and healthy more than you want to eat the corn and pizza!
suzanna1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 02:14 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Chewing gum is always a great tip. Or use listerine, that always makes food taste yucky. I've also learned to drink a bottle of water quickly. It takes away any desire to eat becaue it fills my stomach up so much (even when I'm just snacky and not hungry). I also made a list of all the positive things that would happen when I lost weight (small size, healthier, could run again.....), and I read it often. But the thing that has helped me the most is just not to have off plan foods in the house. And I have 3 kids so I know how hard this can be. My whole family is eatting healthier now. If they do get a treat I buy them something that I am not tempted to eat (like something with coconut because I'm allergic). If I have a hard time saying "no" to it, then it doesn't make it in my house.
lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 05:14 PM   #21
Junior LCF Member

linns and suzanna1 thanks so much for the tips. I have stayed OP today. Excited for what tomorrow brings. I noticed right off the bat, when I ate wrong yesterday that I felt so full and bloated it was pretty amazing. Feel much better today. Thanks for the encouraging words and support. I am just in awe of and so excited to be a part of this site. Stay in touch!!
Old 05-30-2010, 05:17 PM   #22
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTeacherNC View Post
Hey KTeacherNC.....hang in there...stay in touch with me and let's do this together...I too am nervous and embarrassed...It's my first week and I cheated already. Can I tell you how great it feels to tell you all that and get it out and then get back to where I need to be. I'm here for you!! Stay in touch!! Cindy
Old 06-01-2010, 01:58 PM   #23
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Sweedei
Stats: 194/156/140 (5'4")
Start Date: May 6, 2010
I can also attest to brushing after each meal keeps me from wanting to nibble further. I chew gum constantly. Of course, my husband thinks gum chewing should make me hungry. But actually, the reverse happens. It gets my mind off eating food if I am hungry. I chew, drink water and brush all day.
Sweedei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 03:13 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eptexy
Stats: 5'4 165/132/125
WOE: Medi Weightloss - Maintenance!!!
Start Date: March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by lins View Post
I also just got a book called Women Food and God, and it's suppose to be about the same thing. Realizing that food is not the problem, it's something else, and you need to work on that, and the food issues will start to be easier. I'll let you know what I think after I read it.
How's it going with this? I am almost done with another one of Geneen Roth's books and was going to get this one next. I'm learning so much!
eptexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 04:27 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

It was good, but she talked alot about your past being part of the problem, but it was about family issues, and stuff and I didn't relate to that. I grew up in a very loving home, and my family is very supportive of my weight loss, so although she said some great stuff in the book it was more about overcoming childhood struggles, which I don't have. I was skinny until I started having kids.
lins is offline   Reply With Quote