Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Medi Weightloss (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/medi-weightloss/)
-   -   *Motivation for Medi in May* (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/medi-weightloss/672923-motivation-medi-may.html)

Sshals 05-01-2010 12:03 PM

*Motivation for Medi in May*

Here's to another successful month in our journey and to continuing to motivate and support each other. Keep up the terrific work! :up:

Sshals 05-01-2010 12:29 PM

I hope it was okay for a relative newbie to start the May thread! I was starting to post in April when I realized, it's not April any more and I've successfully navigated another whole month on this program :D

I wanted to post because I've been thinking about my pants. Mostly, how at the beginning of the year I was wearing a size 24W (or squeezing unattractively into my size 22's that had, yet again, become too small). After the Christmas/New Year weight gain, I buckled down and started exercising regularly again and carefully watching what I ate. I lost 6 pounds in January and half of February. My 22's were still tight, but not as painful.

Then I joined Medi and I was scared. To me, this was the end of the line. If Medi didn't work - what else possible would? Even though it did work and I lost weight and kept losing, most of the time I was still scared. What if it stopped working like the other programs I had tried? What if I couldn't do it anymore? I could go on for pages with the what ifs.

Today it struck me, 2 full months later, sitting here in my size 18W jeans and a t-shirt that I've had for a year but never worn before because it was way too small for me when I bought it: I am no longer scared. The program really is working. It's not some kind of dream or fluke. I am on my way to my goal and I'm no longer looking back. I've given away clothes that are too big three times now. My superfit coworker has told me that I'm melting away and that she's going to have to start saving up the clothes she no longer wears for me. I thought - that's great, in several months I'll need those. Really.

So my fear has given way to waiting. I know that reaching my goal really is only a matter of time. When I say I know, I don't mean that I'm being optimistic or trying to stay positive. I really know. And what a great thing to know.

lins 05-01-2010 12:49 PM

Sshals- great post and I am right there with you. I have only been on the program for 3 1/2 weeks, but I have already caught myself saying "when I lose my weight" not "if" because I know that I will be sucessful. And it's not all that hard. I mean sure their are moments when it's harder, like when you are at a party, out to eat, or smell something so yummy. But for me 97% of the time it's easy. Even today I went to a birthday party with my kids adn they had hotdogs and brownies. I was pretty hungry since I hadn't had anything since I woke up that morning, but because I had already made up my mom not to having anything it was easy to turn down. I just waited until I got home to eat my lunch.

suzanna1 05-02-2010 06:40 AM

I am amazed at how fast this program worked. Essentially, I lost all the weight that I wanted to in 1 month. What program does that???

Last night I had the opportunity to hang out with friends from high school that I don't see often. A month ago, I would have given an excuse as to why I couldn't be there. Last night, I rocked a pair of size 6 shorts and a cute tank top & felt comfortable in my skin. I:heart:Medi!

Here is to a great May! My goal is to add weight resistance to my workouts and get a little definition in my arms and legs.

Let's do this!:high5:

eptexy 05-02-2010 10:36 AM

Happy Sunday!!

I'm on day 3 of returning to week 1 and am getting a real feel of what maintenance will be like. Getting back on track really is a cinch and I've already dropped 3 lbs. I'm so glad I didn't give up in week 3 when I got all negative about not being able to take the shots.

Suzanna, I just read your whole blog and loved it! Very inspiring!

12 more pounds to goal! My size 8's are getting loose on me!

jcfischer 05-02-2010 03:10 PM

Goodbye April...helloooo May!! Just finishing up week 2 and will have my 2nd weigh in tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing if I got the hang of adding in some fruits and veggies!! Good luck to everyone this month!! :up:

Determined Gemini 05-02-2010 03:34 PM

After losing 10 lbs last week, I'm very nervous about my weight in tomorrow. I've been so sick since Wednesday afternoon, feeling nauseous, dizzy and terrible migraines. I woke up Friday starving, I eat and eat like there was no tomorrow. Last time I took the AS was Tuesday. I've kept my water intake, all 128 oz and then sum. However my food intake has been from 905 to as high as 1085. I haven't been to the gym since Tuesday night. Ugh been with a fever all day today and it's so nice out :(

SDC2 05-02-2010 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sshals (Post 13434443)

Then I joined Medi and I was scared. To me, this was the end of the line. If Medi didn't work - what else possible would? Even though it did work and I lost weight and kept losing, most of the time I was still scared. What if it stopped working like the other programs I had tried? What if I couldn't do it anymore? I could go on for pages with the what ifs.

Today it struck me, 2 full months later, sitting here in my size 18W jeans and a t-shirt that I've had for a year but never worn before because it was way too small for me when I bought it: I am no longer scared. The program really is working.

So my fear has given way to waiting. I know that reaching my goal really is only a matter of time. When I say I know, I don't mean that I'm being optimistic or trying to stay positive. I really know. And what a great thing to know.

I remember when that realization hit me, and as I knew I would, I made it all the way to goal and in June will have kept it off for 1 year! It is so exciting when you realize that this time it is really going to work. Good luck and I couldn't be happier for you!

SDC2 05-02-2010 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lins (Post 13434493)
Sshals- great post and I am right there with you. I have only been on the program for 3 1/2 weeks, but I have already caught myself saying "when I lose my weight" not "if" because I know that I will be sucessful. And it's not all that hard. I mean sure their are moments when it's harder, like when you are at a party, out to eat, or smell something so yummy. But for me 97% of the time it's easy. Even today I went to a birthday party with my kids adn they had hotdogs and brownies. I was pretty hungry since I hadn't had anything since I woke up that morning, but because I had already made up my mom not to having anything it was easy to turn down. I just waited until I got home to eat my lunch.

Lins,

Do not skip breakfast!!!! Especially when you are going to be around temptation. Breakfast kick starts your metabolism. Skipping breakfast is a common factor with overweight people. I say this not mean spirited, but from the heart.

I always eat something before I go to an event where I don't know what is going to be served so that I am not hungry when I get there. Miracle noodles or Shirataki noodles are great to eat before because they have few calories and carbs, yet they are filling.

Fit2010 05-02-2010 06:01 PM

Congratulations every (above) for doing so well and staying Motivated in May! I am excited about the potential of losing another 7 to 10 lbs this month, perhaps more. A friend from church and I will be starting to meet at the YMCA on M-W-F AMs so I'm excited to be in a group fitness class with someone keeping me accountable! Everyone at church is commenting on my weight loss, and though it's humbling, I know it's been a lot of good choices taken too. I think short sleeves and shorts season is motivating, don't you!? My knees and back don't ache nearly as much either! 19 more lbs to go til goal!

eptexy 05-02-2010 06:52 PM

Debbie, Ive noticed a big difference in my back pain as well! I had no idea that was weight related! I kept complaining about our mattress to my husband.

I'm hitting the gym on Tuesday. Recent surgery and this never ending cold has kept me from exercise. Actually looking forward to it!

Mom on a mission 05-03-2010 05:42 AM

Jo- my total loss for April was 15.4 lbs.

As always, thanks for all of your hard work in putting this together !

Peace...
Sue

lins 05-03-2010 06:02 AM

Susie--I didn't skip breakfast I think you must have misunderstood what I wrote. I ate when I woke up and the party was at 11:30, I didn't eat AGAIN until after that party around 1p.m. and I did have a few almonds in my purse the whole time "just in case" I just didn't want to eat them, it was better to wait and eat lunch first. I never skip breakfast.

Determined Gemini 05-03-2010 06:32 AM

I'm feeling a little better today but still nauseous and stomach pains. I'm not sure if I should make my appointment today since I know I haven't lose anything. Maybe just to get the shots. Any ideas/suggestions?

On a different note, anyone still experiencing hair loss? I have long thick hair but it's just falling off. My mom helped clean my house this weekend and was socked to see all the hair she swept up. She's worry something worse is going on with me. I did explain to her about the side affect of the MWL treatment but not sure I convinced her. I'm taking the Biotins, anything else I should be taking?

eptexy 05-03-2010 06:44 AM

Don't you just hate it when you eat breakfast and THEN log what you ate and it's more calories than you realize??? Ugh. Bad planning on my part. I'm going to be hungry today! :( Going for sushi tonight for my 8 year wedding anniversary so I will have a very light lunch because weigh in is tomorrow morning and I can't afford to splurge today. I'm only going every 2 weeks now so this has to count.

On the upside, I put on a pair of size 6 jeans I bought and I can button them and no muffin top! lol Yay!

Going bike riding with my son today - his day off from school. I bought the cutest little retro Schwinn and put a basket on it. Maybe I'll even wear SHORTS! Omg the insanity!

Dragonfire 05-03-2010 07:36 AM

Eptexy: Yay for shorts and size 6 jeans!:clap: I haven't worn shorts in years (except for my boardshorts and even then I'm super self conscious.) That's great. I can't say if I have too many calories in the am but I do hate it when I don't take the time to plan my work lunches then I'm scrabbling around at 6am when I need to leave. :annoyed:

My total loss for April was 14 lbs. I'm currently at my TOM and retaining water. Finally stopped with symptoms so I can do exercise. Hopefully I can shed the water and some fat before my weigh in.

One thing I have noticed is I lose slower than others on Medi even though I am following the program, not cheating, keeping carbs under 20g etc. :confused: I'm exercising too. I dunno. I know slow and steady is the way to go. I just really want to get this weight off. I'm tired of feeling ashamed and down about myself.

That's it for the rant. We had a wonderful sunny weekend in NJ. Living so close to the water I took walks (with the dog) and went suntanning. The water is still cold (58 degrees) and it's flat but in a few weeks, I'll be able to surf again. It's time to start practicing those popups! :D

CCCOX 05-03-2010 07:55 AM

Well--I made it through our b-day week-and had a margarita for the first time since December and a corn tortilla! Wow-and realized-I did not miss to tortillas like I thought I had! it was nice to see I did not crave them -in fact I did not eat the entire thing! I weighed in on my scales on SAt at my GOAL weight-not sure I will get to weigh in tomorrow like usual-I have my moms best friends funeral-and not sure I will have time-calling the clinic today to see what they say.

JO-my loss for April was 8.5

For my birthday I got Clothes-and lots of them-old navy had everything 30% off on Saturday and NEw York and company had everything 50% off yesterday and then had fun shopping at Ross and T-j Max-so I now have bottoms that fit-but it is still hard finding any shirts I like and or that fit--I bought size 6 and size 4's-and bought 3 pair of nice shorts--I have not worn shorts in over 7 years--WOW!! I still have to get a swim suite-but will be picky about it-on the way to the funeral tomorrow we go by an outlet mall--I may look there.

GirlInJersey 05-03-2010 08:09 AM

I'm happy to say I ran a mile last night non-stop! I haven't done that in a loooong time. But, I find that every time I do some running, my back is really really sore the next day. I see that a lot of people are saying their back pain is getting better, but mine is getting worse. :annoyed:

I get weighed in tomorrow, #8. I know I won't be there this week, but I can just FEEL that 50lb mark coming soon!

Have a great week everyone! :D

Lucas33 05-03-2010 08:18 AM

6 pounds lost for me in March. Slowly but still chugging along. Just under 20 pounds till goal!
I went to my annual gyn appt and the doc could not get over my weight loss. Last year I weigh in at their office at 233(now 184). Good motivation to keep going.

CCCOX 05-03-2010 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GirlInJersey (Post 13439099)
I'm happy to say I ran a mile last night non-stop! I haven't done that in a loooong time. But, I find that every time I do some running, my back is really really sore the next day. I see that a lot of people are saying their back pain is getting better, but mine is getting worse. :annoyed:

I get weighed in tomorrow, #8. I know I won't be there this week, but I can just FEEL that 50lb mark coming soon!

Have a great week everyone! :D

running that first mile for me was so huge in my book! However-if your back is still hurting be careful-my husband had back surgery back in 01--he was 24 at the time-he had 2 ruptured disk-his doc said if he had kept running he would have permanent damage-so please do not underestimate back pain!

sooo not worth needing surgery down the line!

Just called into clinic-having to miss for sure tomorrow-will go in next tuesday :(

Dragonfire 05-03-2010 08:24 AM

YAY CCCOX!:kicking:

GirlinJersey WTG on your full mile run! I haven't tried that yet. Regarding your back pain issue, sorry if this is a stupid question but are you stretching your back well after your workouts? Have you tried icing and warm compresses when it hurts?

lins 05-03-2010 10:35 AM

I lost a total of -12.6lbs in March.

GirlInJersey 05-03-2010 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragonfire (Post 13439187)
YAY CCCOX!:kicking:

GirlinJersey WTG on your full mile run! I haven't tried that yet. Regarding your back pain issue, sorry if this is a stupid question but are you stretching your back well after your workouts? Have you tried icing and warm compresses when it hurts?

Not a stupid question. I do stretch before and after. I've had back spasms and strains before, but I thought it would get better losing weight. And I certainly do NOT want surgery!! :eek: It's worse when I run, so I'm going to just give it another week or so and then see the Dr. if it isn't getting better. Maybe my muscles are just weak. But I don' want to risk it for too long!

On a possibly related note, I have started doing crunchs. My stomach is my biggest problem area with flab. So that might not be helping my back if I'm not doing the crunches right (I thought I was). But the back pain started before the ab work...so who knows!

Determined Gemini 05-03-2010 03:14 PM

Today's weigh-in and I lost 1.8 lb

April weight lost 9.8 lbs

Fit2010 05-03-2010 04:40 PM

April weight loss 5 lbs. I'm getting there s-l-o-w-l-y.

Congratulations Cori!! Cannot wait to see you post some photos! I will never be in size 4, or 6, possibly never even 8 or 10's. My husband says I have "birthing hips." Thankfully, it was something he told me when we were dating way back 32 + years ago when I was size 12, and I'm in size 12 again for about the 5th span of time during our marriage. Even at 108 lbs I could barely get into 10's. But, I'm told sizes have "relaxed" a little now, and we're also not wearing high waist designs like 20 years ago....

Just working on being Fit in 2010!

Fit2010 05-03-2010 04:51 PM

Determined Gemini - Refer to Susie's answer (post #432 on the Medi Maintenance Phase thread)...she said she heard Vit D helps to avoid hair loss. Are you also taking a good multivitamin? I make sure to take my multivitamin in a gelatin capsule (instead of a tablet) so that it breaks down and is absorbed more thoroughly. Hope that helps!!

marymo 05-03-2010 05:40 PM

Hello, Everyone!

Girl in Jersey - your body may not be ready for the "run". I lost over 70 lbs, but when I run, it still hurts (both my back and knees).

So take it real slow...also if you do stomach crunches, you need to do the back exercises also to build the back muscles, too to balance it out. I remember a trainer told me this years ago.

JO - my loss for the month of April is 10 pounds. (my initial personal goal was to lose at least 10-12 lbs each month - so far I have made this goal for each of the last five months.) :cool:

All of you are doing so well with your losses, keep it up!

Sshals 05-03-2010 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GirlInJersey (Post 13439099)
I'm happy to say I ran a mile last night non-stop! I haven't done that in a loooong time. But, I find that every time I do some running, my back is really really sore the next day.

Are you working on strengthening your core muscles as well? Your torso does a lot of work keeping you from falling over while you're running :) You could add some crunches (make sure you do side crunches too) and back extensions. Or try yoga or pilates. With all of these things, form matters. If you aren't doing them correctly, then you risk making your back worse. Hiring a trainer for a couple of sessions is well worth the investment.

Oh - and (as I'm sure we all know) there's pain and then there's *PAIN*. One responds well to a trainer, the other to a doctor :D

----------
LOL - I just finished reading the rest of the thread and you pretty much covered everything I mentioned yourself! Congrats on your mile, btw.

slbpl61 05-03-2010 06:30 PM

Jerry on the Today Show

If you're out there Jerry, WTG this morning on the Today Show!!!!! You look amazing and so dapper in your suit!! ;) But it was such a short segment....I wanted to hear more! Sounds like you had a blast! Did you meet Joan Rivers?? LOL
Continued success......

slbpl61 05-03-2010 06:51 PM

Over the weekend, I had my first bite of "off the plan" food....yup.....choc cake with a bit of whipped cream. I so could have eaten the whole thing but it didn't kick me out of ketosis (which I have been in consistently for several days). After becoming frustrated with plateau-ing, I unintentionally took a week break from everything....ketosis, journal, appointments, shots, AS, etc. but still ate pretty much on plan. I got my groove together last week and have been losing according to my home scale and feel like I lost. TOM is due though so I hope that doesn't sabotage my weigh-in this week. After switching weigh in days and taking a week off it will be about 2 1/2 weeks since my last weigh in which was April 20. I did talk to the clinic by phone and they were encouraging and I am looking forward to my weigh in before flying out of town this weekend to spend Mother's Day with my parents. I'm staying busy by moving the clothes in my closest to the garage for my next yard sale. The last 2 visits I opted NOT to get the second shot and so far I really haven't experienced exhaustion or lack of energy. I think I will get the 2nd this week since I'll be travelling. I am actually looking forward to it! Hoping to be in the 170's by then and hit my 30+# mark!