Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2010, 04:40 PM   #181
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sshals
Stats: 5'4" 264/192/132
WOE: Medi
Start Date: 02/2010
Initially, I shared what I was doing with just the people closest to me and (fortunately for me) they were all very supportive.

Now that I've lost more weight, people at work are starting to notice. At first I would hedge and say something about how I had decided to enlist the help of a doctor. My hedging failed as almost everyone responded "Oh, are you going to Medi? I have a (fill in the blank) who went there and lost a ton of weight" followed by comments like, "I would do it too if I could afford it", "wow you look great" and "can I have your old clothes?"

In fact, the only negative reactions I have gotten so far are from my regular doctor and my trainer - mostly because they both feel strongly that any amount of weight can be lost through watching what you eat and exercising regularly. My doctor, because she lost 40 pounds that way and my trainer because she's fresh out of college. For the record, before Medi I was watching what I ate and exercising regularly (including training for a half marathon). I lost 22 pounds. In around 2 years time. So now I do Medi

Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2010, 05:22 PM   #182
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ortal
Stats: 184/138/120 5'5"
Start Date: 4/26/2010
thanks guys... I guess I was being too open.

I lost four pounds at weigh in.... to heck with them :-p
Old 05-20-2010, 10:20 AM   #183
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Azurro
Stats: 229.2/193.8/160
WOE: Medi Weight Loss
Start Date: May 2010
Hey all--
I just came back from my week two weigh in....I lost 5.4 this week...On to week three.... so far I feel good..It is hard.. but I am doing it...
Old 05-20-2010, 10:24 AM   #184
Junior LCF Member

Thanks Suzanna1-- It did sound a little sketchy and its way expensive!! Your stats are great!! I hope I can do as well too!!! Hard to do with three kids in the house!! and a husband who loves carbs!!!
Old 05-20-2010, 10:44 AM   #185
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lins
WOE: Medi-weightloss
Start Date: 1/12/14
Today was a hard day. I had a baby shower at my house this morning. I had made an egg casserole that was medi friendly so that I would be able to eat something. I ate that and 2 strawberries, and that's it. I told myself ahead of time that I would stick to the plan, and I did. But it was hard. I REALLY wanted to eat the other super yummy foods that were there. Now that it's all gone I am very thankful that I stuck to the plan, but I didn't like the feeling of missing out. I know it's worth it, and I know that I will have to face that feeling for the rest of my life, and I am really okay with that. Just a blah kind of day of feeling sorry for myself. Being thinner really does feel so much better than that food would have tasted this morning. I just needed to have a tiny pitty party with people I knew would understand. Now I feel better. Thanks for listening.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:08 AM   #186
Senior LCF Member

good for you Lins I sat through a pizza party yesterday and I know how hard it is. BUt youre right, you just have to realize that the food will be gone but the pounds will stay. One day/event at a time.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:06 PM   #187
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eptexy
Stats: 5'4 165/132/125
WOE: Medi Weightloss - Maintenance!!!
Start Date: March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurro View Post
Hard to do with three kids in the house!! and a husband who loves carbs!!!
Yup! I have 3 boys - 2 of them teenagers and a super skinny husband who is a chip-a-holic!!! I've realized that in order to do this for me, I have to be a little selfish. I've successfully cleaned out all of the junk except for a couple of things that I keep in the garage freezer. I buy snacks for everyone that I can also get away with eating if I want to. Almonds in different flavors (although that's becoming a red light), pork rinds (blech), lo carb yogurts, sugar free puddings, sugar free jellos, beef jerky, peanut butter, lots of fruit, etc. No, I can't go overboard on ANY of these things but they aren't a huge temptation to me and I don't feel like any of it is taboo. For dinners, I don't prepare anything separate. We normally have some kind of chicken/fish/beef cooked a variety of different ways and then I get those steam in the bag vegetables and also brown rice that they can have and I pass on. We have fajitas a LOT these days too. Oh that's another thing - the bread is out. I buy lo carb tortillas instead. I have never had one but again - if I don't see it as taboo then I'm not tempted. I also don't have cereal in the house. I make everyone eggs and turkey sausage in the morning and they LOVE it!

No one asked for this info - I just remember wishing for advice when I had just started out so I hope it helps! It's really not that hard to do with a family. They will balk at first but things like ice cream, chicken nuggets, pizza and such seem that much more special when you go out to eat now. I don't limit them then - it's just not allowed in the house.

In Wellness as of 6/4/2010!
Old 05-20-2010, 01:49 PM   #188
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Fit2010
Stats: Ht 5'3" Wt 12/09=190;9/10=137;2/14=196.5
WOE: MediWeightLoss-like/Atkins-like
Start Date: 12-28-09; restart 02-07-14
Good for you Erin, and good advice! Congratulations for everyone making this YOUR way of eating. It's interesting, I'm finding new foods that I really miss if I haven't had them in a while...like today I found the last chicken/cheese sausage link (from Sam's) in the refrigerator, cut it up and microwaved for about 90 mins, then topped with sauerkraut and nuked again for about 60 seconds. I really like that for lunch and hadn't had it in about 2 1/2 wks! It fills me up, is healthy, and has lots of flavor!

It's still hard to miss out on the goodies. If you don't even start with a bite it's easier to stay away. Great job, Lins.

Ortal, I don't want to tempt you, but something I've done is eat just the toppings. Then I feel like I got some but without eating the carbs of the crust I'm actually more satisfied hunger-wise. To me, carbs just makes me want more carbs. But, you're early into your program, so probably better to stay away. Something I've done at home is nuke some turkey pepperoni on a plate then wipe off the grease, top with a little cheese and then nuke it again. It's like having pizza but with LOTS less carbs!

Good luck and stay with it everybody! We're getting those legs and arms ready for warmer weather!!
Old 05-20-2010, 02:43 PM   #189
Senior LCF Member

I've been entering my food into Daily Plate for the last several weeks and I'm a little concerned with sodium. Is anyone else having issues controlling that? It's always frickin something, I swear. If it's not artificial sweeteners making me crave stuff, it's salt that's making me swell! I don't know what I'd do without my turkey pepperoni, cheese, or shaved ham!
Old 05-21-2010, 05:21 AM   #190
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eptexy View Post
I've been entering my food into Daily Plate for the last several weeks and I'm a little concerned with sodium. Is anyone else having issues controlling that? It's always frickin something, I swear. If it's not artificial sweeteners making me crave stuff, it's salt that's making me swell! I don't know what I'd do without my turkey pepperoni, cheese, or shaved ham!
You are so right - there is always something. My husband and I cut out almost all prepared foods a couple of years ago - for many reasons, but sodium was certainly a factor. We had completely cut out artificial sweeteners as well. It's actually one of the things I find to be the hardest about this diet. I feel like I am eating in a less healthy way than I used to. I figure it's a kind of trade off - I am eating less healthy now, but I am losing weight consistently. When I reach my goal, I will work on finding my balance again.

Oh - and I have cut out artificial sweeteners again for a bit. I felt like I was beginning to rely too heavily on them.
Old 05-21-2010, 05:29 AM   #191
Senior LCF Member

I agree... a lot of my food has a ton of salt in it and it is a bit concerning. Beef jerkey? Deli meat? Most broths? my turkey hot dogs I rely on so much? DEFF eating too much salt. I try my best to just drink a ton of water and balance it out with other meals.

Maybe we can do like a challenge, trying to stay under a certain amount of sodium per day for a week and then see what difference it makes.

Can you imagine how much salt we all took in when we were eating fried garbage?? It took writing it all down to realize the amount of garbage I was consuming prior to this. I do 600 cals a day now where I could easily have done that at one fast food breakfast.

PS

I fit into my jeans this morning! My size tens!!! granted, i can barely braeth, but a few months ago I couldnt even pull them up past my thighs. people always asked why I didnt wear jeans on casual friday and Id make up some excuse where really I didnt want to buy a bigger size (AKA admitting Id gained 20 lbs). IM SO EXCITED.

Mini Goal - 130 by 10/30
Ultimate Goal - 120 by the end of the year.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:48 AM   #192
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jbiggars63
Stats: 493/192/193
Start Date: 1/23/2009
Let me SHOUT from the highest mountain top! "I DID IT!" My weigh in this morning at Medi showed me at 193 pounds! That means I have reached my 300 pounds LOST goal!
WOOT!!!! WOO HOO!!!! AWESOME!!! I DID IT!!!! SWEET!!!!!!

Old 05-21-2010, 06:49 AM   #193
Senior LCF Member

Sounds good to me and CONGRATS on fitting into 10s! Woohoo!

About the salt - they recommend no more than 1500-2400 mg a day for a HEALTHY person - that doesn't include those who have high blood pressure or diabetes. I imagine it's much less there. Here's part of an article I found on the Mayo Clinic Website:

How to cut sodium
You may or may not be particularly sensitive to the effects of sodium. And because there's no way to know who might develop high blood pressure as a result of a high-sodium diet, choose and prepare foods with less sodium.

You can cut sodium several ways:

Eat more fresh foods and fewer processed foods. Most fresh fruits and vegetables are naturally low in sodium. Also, fresh meat is lower in sodium than luncheon meat, bacon, hot dogs, sausage and ham are. Buy fresh and frozen poultry or meat that hasn't been injected with a sodium-containing solution. Look on the label or ask your butcher.

Opt for low-sodium products. If you do buy processed foods, select those that have reduced sodium.
Remove salt from recipes whenever possible. You can leave out the salt in many recipes, including casseroles, stews and other main dishes. Baked goods are an exception. Leaving out the salt could affect the quality as well as the taste of the food.

Limit your use of sodium-laden condiments. Salad dressings, sauces, dips, ketchup, mustard and relish all contain sodium.

Use herbs, spices and other flavorings to enhance foods. Learn how to use fresh or dried herbs, spices, zest from citrus fruit, and fruit juices to jazz up your meals.

Use salt substitutes wisely. Some salt substitutes or light salts contain a mixture of table salt (sodium chloride) and other compounds. To achieve that familiar salty taste, you may use too much of the substitute and actually not use less sodium. In addition, many salt substitutes contain potassium chloride. Though dietary potassium can lessen some of the harm of excess sodium, too much supplemental potassium can be harmful if you have kidney problems or if you're taking medications for congestive heart failure or high blood pressure that cause potassium retention.

Your taste for salt is acquired, so it's reversible. To unlearn this salty savoring, decrease your use of salt gradually and your taste buds will adjust. Most people find that after a few weeks of cutting salt, they no longer miss it. Start by using no more than 1/4 teaspoon (1 milliliter) of added salt daily, and then gradually reduce to no salt add-ons. As you use less salt, your preference for it lessens, allowing you to enjoy the taste of food itself.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:53 AM   #194
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbiggars63 View Post
Let me SHOUT from the highest mountain top! "I DID IT!" My weigh in this morning at Medi showed me at 193 pounds! That means I have reached my 300 pounds LOST goal!
WOOT!!!! WOO HOO!!!! AWESOME!!! I DID IT!!!! SWEET!!!!!!

Yay good for you!!! Youre amazing congrats How long did it take again?
Old 05-21-2010, 06:56 AM   #195
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortal View Post
Yay good for you!!! Youre amazing congrats How long did it take again?
I began my journey December 2008, so about 17 months!
Old 05-21-2010, 06:59 AM   #196
Senior LCF Member

How did I miss Jerry getting into ONederland????? CONGRATULATIONS! You are an inspiration to so many people. So completely awesome!
Old 05-21-2010, 08:07 AM   #197
Senior LCF Member

Congratulations Jerry, that is amazing! You are an inspiration to all of us. You have changed your life for the better and that is something to be proud of!

I bought a pair of 10's yesterday and they slid right now. I was so amazed. I am thrilled to be in my 10's and know that single digit size is right around the corner. My goal is to be in a size 8 at my goal weight. I know sizes fit everyone differently but that is was I was in before kids, so I know I can do it. I also had a pair of workout pants on last night that I had to put in the "give away" box because they were huge on me. They don't have a draw string so they were just falling off. It has been a good day.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:29 AM   #198
Major LCF Poster!

HORRAY Jerry!!

So awesome! That's better than even NBC's Biggest Loser! YOU are the biggest loser! And you did it with diet and exercise....OK, I can get off the next 20.5 lbs!! Jerry did it and MORE......

God be with you as you share the hope of your knew life with others! You have not done this alone....where did you find the strength, courage, hope, and determination?!? Other than the flesh that weighed you down so heavily, what burdens have been lifted from you? How did you defeat the lies you used to tell yourself? Deep questions...but my inquiring mind wants to know!

I'm celebrating with you, my friend!
Old 05-21-2010, 09:43 AM   #199
Senior LCF Member

Question for those who have lost the weight. Do you have a problem with "extra" skin? Have you thought about having it removed? Jerry I know from reading your blog that you did, can you share your experiance.

I have been overweight for about 8 years, which incluced 3 pregnancies. My heaviest (when not pregnant) was just over 200lbs. I was wondering if I would ever be able to wear a bikini again. Not that I care if I don't, I am fine in my tankini but I would LOVE to be able to wear one just so say that I can. But I am worried that I will have extra skin leftover once the fat is gone.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:26 AM   #200
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: suzanna1
Stats: 215/162.5/149 5'8" 38 years old
WOE: Medi Weightloss Clinic
Congratulations, Jerry!!! You are awesome & awe inspiring!!!

Lins ~ My lower ab area reminds me of a shar pei. With the abdominal scar from my back surgery, I am definitely getting a tummy tuck. I am planning on having surgery in December. That way I can take a little extra recovery time around Christmas while work is slow and the binder that is worn after surgery won't be as noticeable under a sweater!

Ortal ~ Congratulations on fitting into your 10s!!! Regarding salt intake... my doctor recommended that I increase my sodium intake due to low blood pressure. I get dizzy if I stand up to fast. I don't know that the extra salt helps, but it certainly doesn't hurt me other than making me retain water.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:41 AM   #201
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nsjx
Stats: 203.5/159/159 - maintenance
WOE: medi
Start Date: April 17, 2010
Congrats Jerry!! Such an inspiration of dedication, focus and determination!!
Old 05-21-2010, 11:00 AM   #202
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tydreamer
Start Date: 2/10/10
I have to say that I was at the clinic this morning when I heard Jerome in the back saying he'd hit his goal. I decided I had to meet this man who so inspired me and others!!

Jerry, it was fantastic meeting you. Congratulations to you!

As for me, I am now at a "normal" BMI tho I still have far to go. I got to change my avitar today, too. This is not a day that will soon be forgotten!!
Old 05-21-2010, 11:18 AM   #203
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tydreamer View Post
I have to say that I was at the clinic this morning when I heard Jerome in the back saying he'd hit his goal. I decided I had to meet this man who so inspired me and others!!

Jerry, it was fantastic meeting you. Congratulations to you!

As for me, I am now at a "normal" BMI tho I still have far to go. I got to change my avitar today, too. This is not a day that will soon be forgotten!!
You look great! I love being able to meet the people behind the words on here! Each and everyone of you bring a little inspiration to all of us that have to lose weight! Seeing the losses, yes even only the 1 pound losses, proves this way of life "IS the one that WORKS"! Thanks everyone! I'm still walking on clouds!
Old 05-21-2010, 09:38 PM   #204
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: slbpl61
Stats: 5'8" 206/203/165
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 08/16/2013 Restart
As expected, I did experience a 2.5 pound gain at today's weigh in but my fat% dropped 1.4% so I'll take that anyday. BUT, I am so glad I went. I had a great talk with my regular counselor. She totally related to the crossroad I found myself at and assured me this was very normal. My body is adjusting to the increase in exercise, the healthy food and supplements. She was very encouraging and listened to all of my concerns, including the effectiveness of the AS. That along with the numbers some of you all pulled this week really got me psyched to 'start over' with the renewed passion and drive I felt when I began Medi in Feb. I will weigh in EVERY week (with the exception of the week I will be out of town in late June) and take all of my supplements and get both shots on weigh in day just like I had been doing up until a month or so ago. That's when things slowed waaayyyy down for me. My advice is to follow the program. Remember, "It's the one that works!!". The doc upped my AS to 4/day for this week to see how I do since lately I am always hungry.

Congrats to Lea, Ortal and Jerry!! You all are awesome!
Old 05-22-2010, 05:39 AM   #205
Junior LCF Member

Hi All--

Its so inspiring to see all your posts.. Im very excited about my new weigh of eating
Im on week three. I hope I can keep this going...Speaking of going Im having an issue with lack of fiber..if you kn ow what I mean.. any suggestions??
Thanks
Old 05-22-2010, 06:27 AM   #206
Major LCF Poster!

Azurro- Since you're out of week one I recommend you eat several stalks of celery every or every other day as your veggie source, and make sure you keep drinking all your water. Are you taking the Colon Cleanse pill they gave you in the clinic's initial packet? When I first started that helped too, I just took it every other day or so. Your body is adjusted to dealing without simple carbs, less input, and with using more energy to digest proteins. Things do change. Probably if you do a "search" on the Main Mediweightloss thread here somewhere you'll find a bunch of posts about having this discussed in the past and what was recommended. Good luck. "This too shall pass"...LOL!

Lea- Your numbers look so good! This is definitely YOUR way of eating! I want to meet Jerry someday too. I weigh in Monday this next week.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:34 AM   #207
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbiggars63 View Post
My weigh in this morning at Medi showed me at 193 pounds! That means I have reached my 300 pounds LOST goal!
Congratulations, Jerry! You have done such a wonderful thing for yourself and your life will never be the same.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:01 AM   #208
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: txntv
Stats: 5'5" 169.5/131/140
Start Date: March 25, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by lins View Post
Question for those who have lost the weight. Do you have a problem with "extra" skin? Have you thought about having it removed? Jerry I know from reading your blog that you did, can you share your experiance.

I have been overweight for about 8 years, which incluced 3 pregnancies. My heaviest (when not pregnant) was just over 200lbs. I was wondering if I would ever be able to wear a bikini again. Not that I care if I don't, I am fine in my tankini but I would LOVE to be able to wear one just so say that I can. But I am worried that I will have extra skin leftover once the fat is gone.
I know what you mean! I am down to a weight I haven't weighed in over 10 years and still have skin seeping over my underwear. It's so annoying, but I know that comes with three full pregnancies. I had a breast reduction one year ago -- so I don't have the funds for another surgery. By the time I do, I have financial commitments to make for my kids.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:14 AM   #209
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by txntv View Post
I am down to a weight I haven't weighed in over 10 years and still have skin seeping over my underwear.
Congrats on your loss! I am wondering how much strength training you do. I've read that building muscle can help with extra skin... (which is something I am worried about as well).
Old 05-22-2010, 09:55 AM   #210
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: txntv
Stats: 5'5" 169.5/131/140
Start Date: March 25, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sshals View Post
Congrats on your loss! I am wondering how much strength training you do. I've read that building muscle can help with extra skin... (which is something I am worried about as well).
Thanks. I do strength training 2 to 3 times a week.
Closed Thread