Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2010, 09:44 AM   #151
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Fit2010
Stats: Ht 5'3" Wt 12/09=190;9/10=137;2/14=196.5
WOE: MediWeightLoss-like/Atkins-like
Start Date: 12-28-09; restart 02-07-14
Hi Lins,
Here's my opinion on breakfast. I like it to be easy. Here in KS we have Dillons grocery stores (in Arkansas where my family lives it's Krogers)...anyways....I buy the Krogers brand Carbmasters yogurt that has a scant amount of fruit in it and is approved for even week one by my Medi MD. I really like the variety of flavors. Sorry if you don't have that there. They are about 12 g protein and only 4 carbs. Or, I have a medi bar or the Pure Protein peanut butter bar (look at the Medi products thread we have on this site). These are very high in protein, have about 13 carbs, but really satisfy cuz they are chewy and it takes time to eat them, as I'm driving o whatever! I don't like messes much so I haven't made eggs, etc very often for breakfast. I'd like to know how some folks do that without having to use a jack hammer to clean the eggs residue off the mug when microwaved! Hope that helps.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2010, 12:44 PM   #152
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tydreamer
WOE: Medi Weight Loss
Start Date: 2/10/10
I eat the Kroger brand yogurt too and love them! I recently tried a strawberry pomegranate one that was the bomb!! The cherry is my favorite!
Old 05-18-2010, 12:46 PM   #153
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Fit2010
Stats: Ht 5'3" Wt 12/09=190;9/10=137;2/14=196.5
WOE: MediWeightLoss-like/Atkins-like
Start Date: 12-28-09; restart 02-07-14
The cherry is my favorite also. This AM I had vanilla carbmaster's yogurt + 1/2 cup of sugarfree applesauce and about 1/2 TBSP cinnamon...yum!
Old 05-18-2010, 01:42 PM   #154
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eptexy
Stats: 5'4 165/132/125
WOE: Medi Weightloss - Maintenance!!!
Start Date: March 2010
So I have been feeling so down the last 2 weeks. I'm exercising so much more which is making me eat so much more - I feel famished so much of the time and have succumbed to eating about 800 to sometimes 1000 calories and way way way too many almonds sometimes (those are BANNED from my house now- especially the salt & vinegar ones!) My scale wasn't moving at home and it was so discouraging to think I couldn't lose any weight at under 1000 calories plus exercise?!?!

Today though I went to my weigh in (I go every 2 weeks) and turns out that while my weight appears to be the same, I LOST four pounds of fat (!!!), gained 2 pounds of muscle (!!!) and gained 2 pounds of fluid! I am so excited! The scale really does lie!

In Wellness as of 6/4/2010!
Old 05-18-2010, 01:45 PM   #155
Senior LCF Member

LOL Debbie about the egg jackhammer! Be sure to spray the mug with Pam before you pour it in. Then soak immediately in the sink. My husband got onto me last night about putting "egg muggs" in the dishwasher as is and he was scraping them with knives. lol Ya... don't do that. Soak first!
Old 05-18-2010, 01:48 PM   #156
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lins View Post
Question about Medi bars, or Adkins bars (which my clinic approved). Is it really bad to eat those everyday? I haven't but I really want to. I am tired of breakfast foods (eggs, sausage.....), and I am not a huge fan of protein shakes. So I was getting discourage every single morning because I just don't like the breakfast choices. I use to eat a bowl of cereal everyday and that was fine, but now that I can't do that it just has me frustrated. Plus I have 3 kids to take to school in the morning so I am out the door early. I started having a medi bar a few time a week and that really helped my attitude toward breakfast (which I never skip). Now that I found the approved Adkins bars I am very tempted to have that or a medi bar every monrning, because they are good and quick, but didn't know if I should.
If you don't find them a trigger, eat them! I just can't do it anymore which is sad because I LOVE the Atkins Endulge caramel nut chew bars. I'm not going to buy them again until I reach goal. I've figured out that the more "sweet" stuff I eat (even artificial), the more I crave it and it stalls my weight loss. At first, it didn't affect my ketosis level nor did it cause cravings but it slowly become something I needed and craved and soon, I didn't want to stop at just one. Just be careful - everyone is different!

Last edited by eptexy; 05-18-2010 at 01:49 PM..
Old 05-18-2010, 07:38 PM   #157
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lins
WOE: Medi-weightloss
Start Date: 1/12/14
It helps me, I have learned that if I eat them first thing in the morning, I don't crave sweets later in the day. I am going to try not to eat them everyday, and have a variety but we'll see. I will also talk to my doctor tomorrow at my weigh-in and get her option. I don't want to sabatoge my weight loss but for now eatting them for breakfast seems to keep me sane.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:14 PM   #158
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SDC2
Stats: 5' 7.5" 218/150/155 Maintenance
WOE: Medi-Weightloss
Start Date: November 20, 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by amy1915 View Post
I know I am late on my reply to this but I can TOTALLY relate!!! I do the same thing and I have been shopping like crazy. I was a shopper before...but I am afraid it is becoming an obsession because I am neglecting other things in order to stop at stores here and there. I'll even hit the same ones more than once a week just because "they might have something new/different than they did the other day". One night I after I had a particularly rough day at work I was taking my work clothes off and just started trying things on because seeing myself in those clothes, in those sizes calmed and soothed me. I think they call this "Changing Rooms On The Titanic"...switching one addiction for another. Naturally thinking about this issue leads to an entire examination of what it is about myself or my life that I am trying to escape from...I have a pretty good idea what that is but it is just interesting to me that when I was heavier I thought if I could just get healthy and lose the weight things would get better on their own. Many things have improved...but now I am dealing with the same issues, just 60+ lbs. lighter doing it.

I also wanted to chime in on the whole mom/family comments thing. All of a sudden everyone is so "proud" of me...which you would think is a good thing right? It doesn't feel like it to me because I had dozens of important accomplishments during my heavier years...but now because I am thinner I meet everyone's approval? Some family members think they're being funny or cute by saying "Hey Skinny" when I see them. What's wrong with just a simple "You look really nice today"? I am also resentful that now people in public hold doors for me, make eye contact with me, notice me. Did the presence of 60+ lbs. really cause me to deserve to be treated poorly by people in public?
Not cool...not cool at all.

Has anyone else felt like this with the shopping/comments/public treatment?
Hopefullly it will teach us to be kind and nonjudgemental to anyone who differs from us, not just the overweight ... those of different cultures, color, religions, beliefs. These days I get so many judgemental, condemning, and offensive emails that I have just come to delete, delete, delete, before even reading them. Why have we become so judgemental and hate filled? Anyway, that is another blog site... but just remember what you felt like when you were being judged on your weight and try to be just a little bit tolerant of the differences of others.

Speaking of making judgements, just after I started Medi with the biggest weight loss challenge of my life, 65 pounds, I was overwhelmed. I had been unsuccessful at losing that weight for 16 years, so expected failure from the start, but read on this site of another Medi client starting at close to a whopping 500 pounds. I could not even imagine the overwhelming enormousy of that person's journey and sadly thought only sadness and dissappointment for that person. I don't know how you even start a journey that overwhelming.

This past Sunday my husband and I had the unbelievable pleasure of having dinner with one of my new idols, Jerome Biggars, and his wife, the 500 pound man, the man who showed me that there is no goal that is unreachable, that no desire is unattainable, and that every snear and harsh comment can be put to rest with sheer determination and strength of character. Jerome, you are an inspiration and I was only more impressed having met you. Your wife is a dream and I saw through her the support and motivation you had to make this happen. You look amazing and I hope you keep inspiring others even more desparate than you were to take this amazing journey. I hope we have a life long friendship and many more encounters to come. Sometime when you are in Orlando, I would love to have you and your wife for dinner and I will make one of my original Medi friendly recipes.

Jerome and Susie

Jerome and wife, Brian and Susie

God Bless!

Last edited by SDC2; 05-18-2010 at 09:25 PM..
Old 05-19-2010, 04:55 AM   #159
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ortal
Stats: 184/138/120 5'5"
WOE: Medi
Start Date: 4/26/2010
That was such a nice read Susie I love coming here and reading the forums. People like you are SUCH an inspiration
Old 05-19-2010, 04:57 AM   #160
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eptexy View Post
If you don't find them a trigger, eat them! I just can't do it anymore which is sad because I LOVE the Atkins Endulge caramel nut chew bars. I'm not going to buy them again until I reach goal. I've figured out that the more "sweet" stuff I eat (even artificial), the more I crave it and it stalls my weight loss. At first, it didn't affect my ketosis level nor did it cause cravings but it slowly become something I needed and craved and soon, I didn't want to stop at just one. Just be careful - everyone is different!
i LOVE them too. they are one of the only Atkins bars I have found that are actually low in carbs. Im not buying them anymore for a while though, cause I like them too much and I ate one a day. Istayed in ketosis and within my calories but I ate them when Iwasnt hungry which isnt a good rule, to eat something just because its there.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:03 AM   #161
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sshals
Stats: 5'4" 264/192/132
Start Date: 02/2010
Quote:
I am tired of breakfast foods (eggs, sausage.....), and I am not a huge fan of protein shakes.
Hi! I don't know about having a bar every morning - it's probably fine so long as the carbs are low? I had been having an EAS shake mixed with coffee most mornings (off the top of my head I think the chocolate is 4g carbs, 2g net carbs) and that was fine.

Why not expand your breakfast options by thinking of it at as you would any other meal? I lived in Asia for several years and one of the things that struck me was how breakfast was treated. There were no breakfast foods. There was just food.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:10 AM   #162
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sshals
Stats: 5'4" 264/192/132
Start Date: 02/2010
Quote:
So I have been feeling so down the last 2 weeks. I'm exercising so much more which is making me eat so much more - I feel famished so much of the time and have succumbed to eating about 800 to sometimes 1000 calories and way way way too many almonds sometimes (those are BANNED from my house now- especially the salt & vinegar ones!) My scale wasn't moving at home and it was so discouraging to think I couldn't lose any weight at under 1000 calories plus exercise?!?!

Today though I went to my weigh in (I go every 2 weeks) and turns out that while my weight appears to be the same, I LOST four pounds of fat (!!!), gained 2 pounds of muscle (!!!) and gained 2 pounds of fluid! I am so excited! The scale really does lie!
Have you thought about going on maintenance for a while? Your weight is in a healthy range and you seem to really love to exercise. You could work on maintaining and go to town on the fitness. Maybe if you keep working on the gaining muscle (which is not something that can really be done on 500 calories a day) you'd feel more toned and strong. If you keep swapping muscle for fat you'll be be a rock :-)
Old 05-19-2010, 05:48 AM   #163
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jbiggars63
Stats: 493/192/193
Start Date: 1/23/2009

I FINALLY broke through! I'm in "ONE"derland! 199.75 pounds! Next goal, 193 (6.75 pounds) ALSO KNOWN AS 300 POUNDS LOST!

Susie: Thanks for your kind words! One of these days I will take you up on that offer!
Old 05-19-2010, 06:03 AM   #164
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Sweedei
Stats: 194/156/140 (5'4")
Start Date: May 6, 2010
Congrats!!! You truly are my hero!

I know you'll have a great day.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:14 AM   #165
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: GirlInJersey
Stats: 291.2/207.0/180(for now)
WOE: Medi WeightLoss
Start Date: March 9, 2010
Ok so I had my first disappointing week. Only lost .8. But it's still a loss, right?! I did lose FIVE pounds of fat, just gained four in water. So there's the .8 I guess. Hopefully it will show next week. I'm trying to stay positive. I would be much less annoyed if I had cheated and expected to lose so little, but I know I was good and I did more exercise this week than I have in all of the other weeks. I'm still in a good place, and thanks to everyone else who has had a crappy week and posted about it, I know that I'll bounce back next week. I'm so glad everyone shares and isn't ashamed to say that they had a bad week. I know I'm not! I think it helps everyone to know that we can't lose 4 pounds EVERY week and as long as we keep working hard, we can reach our goals.

Have a great week everyone!
Week 1: -16, Week 2: -6.2, Week 3: -6.2, Week 4: -3. Week 5: -3.4, Week 6: -4.8, Week 7: -3.4, Week 8: -4.8, Week 9: -3.6, Week 10: -0.8, Week 11: -6.8, Week 12: -1.8, Week 13: -6.0, Week 14: -2, Week 15: -0.8, Week 16: -6.2, Week 17: vacation - no weigh-in, Week 18: -2.6, Week 19: -1.6, Week 20: -1.2, Week 21: -3.4, Week 22: -0.4, Week 23: +0.8
-----------------
Total: -84.2
Old 05-19-2010, 06:46 AM   #166
Senior LCF Member

dude you lost 50 lbs in what, 10 weeks? Thats amazing. Try not to let it get you down.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:23 AM   #167
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sshals View Post
Have you thought about going on maintenance for a while? Your weight is in a healthy range and you seem to really love to exercise. You could work on maintaining and go to town on the fitness. Maybe if you keep working on the gaining muscle (which is not something that can really be done on 500 calories a day) you'd feel more toned and strong. If you keep swapping muscle for fat you'll be be a rock :-)
This exercise thing is new to me though. I'm training for a half marathon and while I'm doing it, I don't really love it. LOL I just don't want to injure myself so I have to keep up the training. (I have a personal connection to the cause.)

The tech did suggest I go on maintenance. I told her we could reassess on my next weigh in. They want me to add back in 1/2 the calories I'm burning on the days I run.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:58 AM   #168
Senior LCF Member

So question for you guys.... Im pretty open about my diet. When people ask me what Im doing, I tell them. When/If I mention that Im eating 5-800 calories a day I always get
"isnt that anorexic?"
"youre gonna go into starvation mode"
"that cant be healthy for too long"
and other things along those lines. I try to describe that its medically supervised, and I dont really care what they think, but its kind of annoying. Anyone else get this a lot? Anyone have any ideas aside from 'none of your business?'
Old 05-19-2010, 08:31 AM   #169
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nsjx
Stats: 203.5/159/159 - maintenance
WOE: medi
Start Date: April 17, 2010
Hi everyone!! I have been doing the medi program by myself because I did not want to take the AS or fat burners because I have high blood pressure and I have lost 18.5 lbs in 4 weeks!!! Thanks to this board and all the helpful information. I take multi-vitamin, calcium pyruvate, omega 3, b 12 drops under the tongue, Juice Plus vegetables and fruits in a capsule and tons of water. Hope to loose 20 more lbs. I have not eaten fruits yet and wanted to hold off since I get it in the capsule anyway. Great program!!
Old 05-19-2010, 08:50 AM   #170
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortal View Post
So question for you guys.... Im pretty open about my diet. When people ask me what Im doing, I tell them. When/If I mention that Im eating 5-800 calories a day I always get
"isnt that anorexic?"
"youre gonna go into starvation mode"
"that cant be healthy for too long"
and other things along those lines. I try to describe that its medically supervised, and I dont really care what they think, but its kind of annoying. Anyone else get this a lot? Anyone have any ideas aside from 'none of your business?'
I learned very quickly to not share exactly what I'm doing because I got the exact same reactions you are getting and it 1) made me defensive (which was pointless because by then, that person had already made up their mind) and 2) made me also question Medi. I mean, I know better but when absolutely everyone is negative, you start to wonder! Of course, look at me now. I'd say it's pretty healthy.

I'd suggest not being so open about it because you're right - it's really none of anyone's business and besides, do people TRULY care? I don't think they do. I tell people I'm losing weight by managing my calories and carbs and exercising. Once I'm at goal, I'm going to start spreading the word about Medi to those who I think could benefit. Until then, since spreading the word is not benefiting ME personally, I'll keep my mouth shut.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:50 AM   #171
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsjx View Post
Hi everyone!! I have been doing the medi program by myself because I did not want to take the AS or fat burners because I have high blood pressure and I have lost 18.5 lbs in 4 weeks!!! Thanks to this board and all the helpful information. I take multi-vitamin, calcium pyruvate, omega 3, b 12 drops under the tongue, Juice Plus vegetables and fruits in a capsule and tons of water. Hope to loose 20 more lbs. I have not eaten fruits yet and wanted to hold off since I get it in the capsule anyway. Great program!!
That is so awesome!! Kudos to you for doing it all by yourself!! The tools are there for sure and you are proof of that!
Old 05-19-2010, 08:54 AM   #172
Senior LCF Member

What a big doofus I am. I drank half a gatorade this morning because I thought it was my powerade zero! I'm sooo glad I noticed the difference but not before I gulped on it for awhile. Dang! 12g of sugar right into my system. I felt nauseated after I drank it - literally. Then I was exhausted during exercise. Ugh! Read labels people before you just mindlessly partake. Gah!
Old 05-19-2010, 09:24 AM   #173
Senior LCF Member

I am happy to say that after my 1/2 lb weight loss last week, I lost -3.5 this week! I was so happy! I also asked her if it was okay if I ate the Medi or Adkins bars everyday for breakfast (I pretty much did last week), and she said that it doesn't seem to be a problem for me since I lost that much weight. She said as long as I keep losing then she doesn't think it's a problem. I am happy about that. I am also running 2 miles now. I run 1 mile and then walk about 1/2 a mile and run another mile, then walk 1 mile to cool down. I plan to run a 1/2 marathon in March so I am trying to build up my distance. I am feeling GREAT! I am half way to my goal.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:04 AM   #174
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Azurro
Stats: 229.2/193.8/160
WOE: Medi Weight Loss
Start Date: May 2010
Hi there--
Does anyone know if The Arctic Zero ice cream is allowed??
Old 05-19-2010, 11:47 AM   #175
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Sweedei
Stats: 194/156/140 (5'4")
Start Date: May 6, 2010
Quote:
I learned very quickly to not share exactly what I'm doing because I got the exact same reactions you are getting and it 1) made me defensive (which was pointless because by then, that person had already made up their mind) and 2) made me also question Medi. I mean, I know better but when absolutely everyone is negative, you start to wonder! Of course, look at me now. I'd say it's pretty healthy.

I'd suggest not being so open about it because you're right - it's really none of anyone's business and besides, do people TRULY care? I don't think they do. I tell people I'm losing weight by managing my calories and carbs and exercising. Once I'm at goal, I'm going to start spreading the word about Medi to those who I think could benefit. Until then, since spreading the word is not benefiting ME personally, I'll keep my mouth shut.
After my first gasping reaction to describing my calorie and carb adjustments, I too decided to not be so open. Looking back two of my co-workers last year and a friend a few years ago were on Medi and boy- when I inquired they were so tight lipped as to what they were doing "specifically". I see now why. Some people are well intentioned judgemental of the program. They really don't get how it works and how its monitered. Even though you say "dr monitered", I don't beleive they are truly listening. So, like those I described prior I am not expressing exactly what I am doing. I just say I am focusing on a new way of eating to be more healthy. Or that I have decided to reduce my carb intake to feel better (which is very true- I feel great with out them).

Not to mention it is obvious that I need to lose weight- so if they make a comment about my salad and lean meat selections, I politely remind them that I am eating what I "should" to lose weight.

Even my husband is looking at me wondering- - where did the all of the sudden determinance come from to just eat protein. I will wait a bit before I tell him details about Medi. That way I will be able to show him after a few weeks that I did not do anything that was going to harm my health.
week 5: 177.8 (-3.4)
week 6: 176.4 (-1.4) & up 3 in body water
week 7: 172.6 (-3.8) Total -22#
Old 05-19-2010, 12:00 PM   #176
Senior LCF Member

I tell people that I am on a doctor supervised low carb diet. I need people to know that it's low carb so that if I am eatting around them then they won't wonder why I just eat the protein. I don't give out anymore details than that. I have a few super supportive friends that know exactly what I am doing, and my hubby and parents know. But other than that it really is none of anyones business. I am being healthy and hopefully over time they will see the change in me.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:45 PM   #177
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: suzanna1
Stats: 215/162.5/149 5'8" 38 years old
WOE: Medi Weightloss Clinic
I haven't told anyone anything about Medi, other than my husband. When my coworkers ask how much weight I have lost. I usually reply with "I look like I have lost weight?.... that's awesome!" or "really? guess its my new pants? they ARE flattering, aren't they?" That usually stops people in their tracks. If they ask what I am doing differently, I tell them that I joined a gym recently and say it must be working if you noticed! That's my story and I am sticking to it!

I am under my goal weight now and loving life. I gained a couple of pounds as I increased my calories back up to the 1400-1600 calorie range, which made me really nervous, but they came off as quickly as they jumped on. When my basal metabolic rate was measured during my last Medi visit, I was told that I burn 1800 calories a day at rest and could probably eat as many as 2400 on days that I work out without seeing a gain. I haven't been brave enough to try yet and I am very satisfied on 1400-1600 calories. I still have some pudge on the tummy that I am working on and have started lifting heavy weights to build some definition in my skinny, but squishy body!
Old 05-19-2010, 12:58 PM   #178
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurro View Post
Hi there--
Does anyone know if The Arctic Zero ice cream is allowed??
I had to go to Google because I had never heard of it. Wow! That is really low calorie ice cream (32 or 34 calories/half cup). Unfortunately, most of the calories are from sugar! This is a low carbohydrate diet and 9 grams of sugar is alot for just 1/2 cup! (Who stops at 1/2 cup!?!) I would say this is a no during the acute phase, but something to look into during maintenance, but of course your clinic may say otherwise.

The math also seems funny on the nutrition label. How is 11 grams of carbs (none of which are fiber or sugar alcohols) and 4 grams of protein equate to 32 calories. When I do the math I get (11*4) + (4*4) = 60 calories per 1/2 cup, not 32??? They have a reason on their FAQ page, but I have trouble swallowing (no pun intended) their reasoning if the FDA doesn't buy it either. I am always a skeptic though!
Old 05-19-2010, 12:59 PM   #179
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I am happy to say that after my 1/2 lb weight loss last week, I lost -3.5 this week!
Congratulations, lins!!!
Old 05-19-2010, 01:05 PM   #180
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jbiggars63
Stats: 493/192/193
Start Date: 1/23/2009
You know how I feel about sharing my story! I, too, get the occasional gasp or disgusted look (I prefer to think it is envy..) but I don't care! I still, vividly, remember the disgusted looks and comments about me being almost 500 pounds. Unfortunately, there are people out there that will put you down no matter what you do or say! It's like, they are not happy unless they think they can bring you down!
Closed Thread