Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2010, 02:56 AM   #241
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: losing in Ftm
Stats: restart Apr 2012
WOE: Medi
Start Date: 5/5/10
I just started to transition to wellness and my counselor suggested Joseph's Lavash bread to use as my daily starch. Haven't seen it mentioned anywhere before but I love it. I make wraps out of it, flavor with olive oil spray and garlic seasoning for a garlic toast, use as a crust for pizza and even flavored with splenda and cinnamon for a kind of dessert. Bought mine at BJ's but I was told that some Publix's carry it as well as netrition.com. It seems better than any other products for wraps that I have found.
Calories - 50
Carbs - 7
Fiber - 3
so New Carbs 4

Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2010, 08:46 PM   #242
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SDC2
Stats: 5' 7.5" 218/150/155 Maintenance
WOE: Medi-Weightloss
Start Date: November 20, 2008
I recently discovered Applegate Uncured Turkey hotdogs which are 40 calories and 0 carbs. They taste great and with a sweetened oopsie roll it is like having a corn dog.
SDC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 06:40 AM   #243
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Lara515
Stats: 243/213/140
WOE: MWL
Start Date: October 5, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDC2 View Post
I recently discovered Applegate Uncured Turkey hotdogs which are 40 calories and 0 carbs. They taste great and with a sweetened oopsie roll it is like having a corn dog.
They sound yummy and I love the low calories. Where did you buy them? Thanks!
Lara515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:21 AM   #244
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: diertac
Stats: 196.6/167.2/155
Start Date: 09/21/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by msawhitt View Post
That being said, there is an online resource that for the 1st 2 years of my daughters life was a LIFESAVER, and they have since added low-carb options! For $1.25 per week, an online subscription service called E-Mealz ...
OK, consider this my review of E-Mealz. BTW, msawhitt don't take any of my criticisms personally - I think that E-Mealz is a GREAT concept, and it has inspired me to do my own home-grown version of their spreadsheets, but the execution of it is a bit off.

So, I signed up (and canceled the auto-renewal, as I tend to want to do) last week and got 2 weeks of "low carb" recipes for Wal-Mart. To my critical eye, there were two major things wrong with the recipes they had. One, some of their recipes are not "low carb" at all. The "Creamy Bacon & Tomato Soup" recipe called for 1 can of tomato soup and 1 can of evaporated milk. Those two items together have a ton of carbs in them. Once I saw 40g+ for those two items, I threw the recipe out.

Another issue I ran into is that they actually called for Ramen noodles in one of their LC recipes. Carb count aside, I don't eat Ramen noodles on principle - You can probably guess the reasons why. Overly processed, poor college kid food, does not make it to my table now that I can afford healthier options.

They did have a couple of other recipes that looked good to me, but out of 10 (2 weeks worth) I think I found 3 I could make. YMMV.

What I *WILL* say is that this is indeed a great concept, and it's wonderful to have a main dish AND a side dish planned for each night of the week.

It's clear to me that they are managing their recipes and shopping lists in an Excel spreadsheet, just because of the formatting of the PDFs, etc. So, I actually did a home-grown version of their meal planner/shopping list in Excel this past weekend.

I tweaked my version to include truly Medi-friendly recipes (in fact, 2 or 3 of the recipes came from the MWL website, and I also took the time to do a nutritional breakdown of each recipe. It took me probably 2-2.5 hours to find the recipes, find/validate the nutritional information and put it all together. This week I started small, with just 4 meals, and 2 types of protein, but over time I might try to plan larger sets.

The E-Mealz format is a great one to use and I encourage folks to use it, but beware that whoever is coming up with their "low carb" recipes is playing it fast and loose with the carb counts.
diertac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:49 AM   #245
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: losing in Ftm
Stats: restart Apr 2012
Start Date: 5/5/10
First of let me be clear I am no longer in acute and am currently eating 1000 calories daily(600 protein) and try to keep my carbs at about 30 - 40 net carbs a day.
Regarding EZ Mealz, I really liked this program. I figured before starting that I would have to adjust the recipes to make them medi compliant especially with the low carb versions as first I hate fish so that would mean there are several recipes I wouldn't be able to use and of course "low carb" means different things with different diets.
But what I hoped for and so far have gotten is 2-3 meals a week that I could shop for at one time and work around my work and exercise schedule. I wish they would provide the nutrional info but I have been putting in Livestrong.com and then I can easily track it in my journal. I really like the slowcooker recipes, this has made my life a lot easier.
losing in Ftm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:29 PM   #246
Senior LCF Member

Oh it's totally a YMMV thing - I know. (I'm the same way with fish recipes too. Especially since my "recipes for 2" will usually end up being reheated the next day for me, and well fish and reheating? Baaaad...) I also can't eat recipes with mushrooms in them. That probably explains my low success rate with ones I can use from E-Mealz.

I would also like it if they put at least basic nutritional data with each recipe. The WW recipes have points listed, for instance. So if you're going to put something up as a LC recipe, the carb counts would be nice, even if there's no other data associated with it.

I'm going to keep downloading each weeks E-Mealz menus and using them for inspiration. I am having a REAL problem with variety each week, and the program, while not including a ton of recipes I can eat, has helped inspire me to find that variety and plan it and so for that it's a very good thing.

BTW...
If anyone wants what I put together this week, PM me your email and I'll send over a PDF. I did the nutritional data on another tab of the spreadsheet, but as I'm perfecting this little tracking formula for myself, I'd love some input or a second set of eyes as a critique!
Old 11-09-2010, 12:59 PM   #247
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: N2LowCarb
Some of my favorites:

Paul Newman Low Fat Sesame Ginger Dressing - 35 calories per serving
Cocoa Almond - 100 calorie packs
Snikiddy Cheese Puffs - The entire (large) bag is about 450 calories. Found at Whole Foods
Lettuce Wedge at Brio - 450 calories or so, but great for a lunch out with friends.
Edamame - packed with protein
FatFree shredded cheddar cheese - I like it better than regular cheese now.
FF cottage cheese with bacon bits, green onion slices (tastes like baked potato)

Last edited by N2LowCarb; 11-09-2010 at 01:01 PM..
N2LowCarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 08:14 AM   #248
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Charlene4
Stats: 154.5/135/135
WOE: vegan/vegetarian
Start Date: June 7,2010
New CarbMaster yogurt flavors

I am so excited that Krogers CarbMaster brand came out with a few new flavors. Carrot cake is my new favorite. Strawberry colada is good but has too many fruit chunks in it. The best part is that the calorie count is 60 instead of 80 for the new ones!
Charlene4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:20 AM   #249
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eptexy
Stats: 5'4 165/132/125
WOE: Medi Weightloss - Maintenance!!!
Start Date: March 2010
Those flavors sound great! My Kroger doesn't have them yet I guess. I'm definitely going to go searching!
eptexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 04:50 PM   #250
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Fit2010
Stats: Ht 5'3" Wt 12/09=190;9/10=137;2/14=196.5
WOE: MediWeightLoss-like/Atkins-like
Start Date: 12-28-09; restart 02-07-14
Our Dillons in KS (which = Kroger), was just putting them out today. I bought tropical and Raspberry Yum CarbMaster yogurt; those are the only flavors they were putting out yet. I'll keep my eye out for the Carrot Cake!
Fit2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 08:16 AM   #251
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: msawhitt
Stats: 220/130/145
Start Date: August 11, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by diertac View Post
Oh it's totally a YMMV thing - I know. (I'm the same way with fish recipes too. Especially since my "recipes for 2" will usually end up being reheated the next day for me, and well fish and reheating? Baaaad...) I also can't eat recipes with mushrooms in them. That probably explains my low success rate with ones I can use from E-Mealz.

I would also like it if they put at least basic nutritional data with each recipe. The WW recipes have points listed, for instance. So if you're going to put something up as a LC recipe, the carb counts would be nice, even if there's no other data associated with it.

I'm going to keep downloading each weeks E-Mealz menus and using them for inspiration. I am having a REAL problem with variety each week, and the program, while not including a ton of recipes I can eat, has helped inspire me to find that variety and plan it and so for that it's a very good thing.

BTW...
If anyone wants what I put together this week, PM me your email and I'll send over a PDF. I did the nutritional data on another tab of the spreadsheet, but as I'm perfecting this little tracking formula for myself, I'd love some input or a second set of eyes as a critique!

Trust me, I am the last person to take ANYTHING offensively : )

I am actually really interested in what you have to say about it. I never got the low-carb version, it really is more of a "busy-mom" resource, but I had scanned the sample menu one day when revisiting the site and though it looked decent enough to refer to. Seriously though, Ramen noodles?!? That's just nuts.

I know there is another, similar resource that focuses on organics and whole grains/whole foods. It was featured on Jasmere once, but I can't for the life of me remember the site! If I think of it, I will post it. It obviously wasn't as inexpensive, but hey...timesavers are priceless! Lol : )

lost 45 pounds in 3 months with MWL!

total loss of 90 pounds since May 2010

In maintenance : )
msawhitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 10:04 AM   #252
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Desert-Rose7
Stats: 5'11"/262/150/150
WOE: MediWeightLoss
Start Date: 12/19/08 in Wellness since 09/03/2009
Happy to hear about the CarbMaster new flavors. I grocery shop on Fridays, so I shall be checking to see if we have them in PHX yet!

Jo
Desert-Rose7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 10:49 AM   #253
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the E-Mealz recommendation. I just joined yesterday and I really like it! I have a family of 5 and our grocery bill is through the roof so I'm hoping to streamline things a bit while saving money. I did something called the grocery game a number of years ago and it contributed to my weight gain! Seems like everything carb-loaded has a coupon! Anyway, I'll share a review in a couple of weeks after we use it. Thanks!
Old 11-12-2010, 10:51 AM   #254
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fit2010 View Post
Our Dillons in KS (which = Kroger), was just putting them out today. I bought tropical and Raspberry Yum CarbMaster yogurt; those are the only flavors they were putting out yet. I'll keep my eye out for the Carrot Cake!
I'm eating Vanilla Chai right now! 60 calories and SO GOOD!
Old 11-12-2010, 11:31 AM   #255
Major LCF Poster!

I'm eating Carbmasters Tropical Fruit yogurt right now...tasty and like I'm cheating?! 60 calories, 4g carbs, 8g protein!!
Old 11-13-2010, 10:04 AM   #256
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msawhitt View Post
Trust me, I am the last person to take ANYTHING offensively : )
I know there is another, similar resource that focuses on organics and whole grains/whole foods. It was featured on Jasmere once, but I can't for the life of me remember the site! If I think of it, I will post it. It obviously wasn't as inexpensive, but hey...timesavers are priceless! Lol : )
Oh good!

Well, actually I put together my own spreadsheet and I'm going to try to do it again for the upcoming week because the meals I made this past week worked out pretty well.

And to try to keep myself "motivated" I even put up a blog to go along with it. Check out my link: Low Carb Meal Plans | Weekly meals for a low carb lifestyle. The meal plan from last week is on the right side bar linked as the 11.8 meal plan. I've made the blue cheese cobb salad, the balsamic pork chops and the cheesy salsa chicken from it so far...

Cat
Old 11-15-2010, 12:33 PM   #257
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TurnNBurn
I'm a sweet tea type of gal (can you say Southern?) and after much trial and error and jugs of nasty tasting tea wasted, I discovered Kroger brand sugar free, caffeine free tea. Its in the gal jug near the carbmaster yogurt.
TurnNBurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 04:05 AM   #258
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnK
Stats: 5'2" 133/133/115
WOE: MediWeightLoss
Start Date: 7/22/14
A few simple things have made this switch to the Medi WOE much more pleasant... one of my favorites are the SF Da Vinci syrups (available on Netrition and some at Sam's). I currently have about 5 or 6 bottles in various flavors. My favorite is the Irish Creme mixed in with some plain FF greek yogurt as a fruit dip ~ I love it for breakfast.
Walden Farms makes a chocolate syrup (also free of fat, carbs, calories & sugar) and chocolate dip that I like mixed with a little SF Cool Whip (maybe 2 TB) when I NEED a treat after dinner . That said, I have found some of the Walden Farms flavors to be yuk... at least the marshmallow and peanut butter ones alone... they'd probably be okay mixed in a shake or something.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:52 AM   #259
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: subee3
Stats: 208/182.5/155
WOE: Medi-Weightloss
Start Date: 11/11/10
This isn't a food product but I can't say enough about a new purchase I made this week.

In Bed Bath and Beyond I bought a cup - it looks like what you get from Starbucks when you order a venti iced latte - it's clear and 20 oz. but it's made of a hard plastic with a top that twists on and off so it stays secure. There's also a straw inside that has a little flange so it doesn't slip out.

I love my new cup and it makes drinking all that water soooo much easier! Think it was about $8? And, if you are like me and drive around with piles of BB&B coupons just in case, it's 20% off!
subee3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 03:02 PM   #260
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kelly4me
Stats: Lost 53 pounds 2010, Restart 2013
WOE: MWL in 2010, Low Carb 2013
Start Date: 8/27/2010, 10/22/2013
That's a good idea, Subee. I've been slacking on the water intake lately.
kelly4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 03:41 PM   #261
Major LCF Poster!

Ann - I love DaVinci SF caramel flavoring and chocolate almond milk in my AM coffee. And Subee, I guess since it tastes like a wonderful high $ coffee I could get your BB&B cup to put it in as a fake Starbucks!
Old 12-03-2010, 06:23 AM   #262
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Paulyesthers
Stats: 206.2/145/145
WOE: MediWeight Loss Clinics
Start Date: October 18, 2010
Hey all, I'm just discovering this thread! Wow - I truly had not idea there were SO many products out there! I've been eating a lot of chicken and egg whites. That's ok for a few months, but I'm sure it will get old eating this way the rest of my life! Thanks for all the suggestions.

My question - do these sweet products bring back your cravings? I'm afraid to try to eat something that tastes too good as I don't want to start craving it on a regular basis.

Thanks
Paulyesthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:01 PM   #263
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: stownsend
Stats: 274/173/150
WOE: Medi Weight Loss
Start Date: 9/30/10
it is great in the ml shake mix... mmmm and the chocolate you can put on frozen cool whip *L*
stownsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:04 PM   #264
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: stownsend
Stats: 274/173/150
WOE: Medi Weight Loss
Start Date: 9/30/10
the walden farms alfrado sauce is wonderful on those miricale noodles... mmmmmmmmmm *LOL*
stownsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:08 PM   #265
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mary T8M
Stats: 5'2" 228/144/125 good-bye 150's
WOE: LC/LF/LCal (medi)
Start Date: 4/23/10
OK, so this is NOT a food product, but I love finding new uses for an old item. I really like the silicone cupcake "papers", but since starting Medi I'm certainly NOT making cupcakes . A friend said she bought silicone poached egg poaching "pods".....The little cups I used to make poached eggs in really are a pain to clean, unless you use a bunch of bacon grease....the cooking spray just doesn't do it on these, so I was looking into the little silicone pods, but they are pretty pricy, so this morning I decided to see if the cupcake cups would work........and they DO! I put a couple inches of water in a small pan, sprayed the cup, and broke the egg into it, added salt and pepper then "floated" the cup in the boiling water, with the lid on until it was cooked to a soft center. I too the cup out of the water and the egg just fell right out into the bowl......PERFECT As you can tell I'm pretty easily amused/impressed!

Mary T8M (Tatem)

New member of the 80 pounds gone club

Whether you think you can, or you can't, either way you're right!
Henry Ford

Last edited by Mary T8M; 01-13-2011 at 06:09 PM..
Mary T8M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:40 PM   #266
Major LCF Poster!

Mary - you are so cute! And I'm interested in trying that....
Old 01-14-2011, 09:13 AM   #267
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary T8M View Post
OK, so this is NOT a food product, but I love finding new uses for an old item. I really like the silicone cupcake "papers", but since starting Medi I'm certainly NOT making cupcakes . A friend said she bought silicone poached egg poaching "pods".....The little cups I used to make poached eggs in really are a pain to clean, unless you use a bunch of bacon grease....the cooking spray just doesn't do it on these, so I was looking into the little silicone pods, but they are pretty pricy, so this morning I decided to see if the cupcake cups would work........and they DO! I put a couple inches of water in a small pan, sprayed the cup, and broke the egg into it, added salt and pepper then "floated" the cup in the boiling water, with the lid on until it was cooked to a soft center. I too the cup out of the water and the egg just fell right out into the bowl......PERFECT As you can tell I'm pretty easily amused/impressed!
Thank you so much for posting this. I love soft-cooked eggs but I hate peeling them when they're so hot. It's always a mess. This was easy and perfect!
Old 01-14-2011, 10:39 AM   #268
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mary T8M
Stats: 5'2" 228/144/125 good-bye 150's
WOE: LC/LF/LCal (medi)
Start Date: 4/23/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly4me View Post
Thank you so much for posting this. I love soft-cooked eggs but I hate peeling them when they're so hot. It's always a mess. This was easy and perfect!
Good, glad it worked well for you too! read below for another idea.

My Mom taught me a couple of "tricks" and I found out that NOT everyone knows, so I'll post them here. If you want hard boiled eggs, use "older" eggs. They will peel easier. I buy two cartons (or more) at a time and rotate the cartons, but that way I'm not using FRESHLY purchased eggs to hard boil. Some people add a teaspoon of vinegar to the water to make them easier to peel also.

IF you don't need to have PERFECT eggs (like for deviled eggs) but are making SOFT cooked eggs to eat, OR Hard boiled eggs for something like egg salad, once you have taken the egg out of the water, (and cooled for a second or two under cold water for the soft cooked egg, or cooled all the way for hard boiled) hold the egg by the two ends in the palm of your non dominate hand, and hit the side of the shell (kind of in the middle) pretty hard with the blade of a butter knife to split the shell, then just scoop out the egg white (& yolk) with your spoon.....you'd think you'd get shell in the egg but you don't! It doesn't look pretty but if you're chopping it up anyway who cares, and it's a lot less frustrating than peeling!

Last edited by Mary T8M; 01-14-2011 at 10:41 AM..
Mary T8M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:28 AM   #269
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary T8M View Post
Good, glad it worked well for you too! read below for another idea.

My Mom taught me a couple of "tricks" and I found out that NOT everyone knows, so I'll post them here. If you want hard boiled eggs, use "older" eggs. They will peel easier. I buy two cartons (or more) at a time and rotate the cartons, but that way I'm not using FRESHLY purchased eggs to hard boil. Some people add a teaspoon of vinegar to the water to make them easier to peel also.

IF you don't need to have PERFECT eggs (like for deviled eggs) but are making SOFT cooked eggs to eat, OR Hard boiled eggs for something like egg salad, once you have taken the egg out of the water, (and cooled for a second or two under cold water for the soft cooked egg, or cooled all the way for hard boiled) hold the egg by the two ends in the palm of your non dominate hand, and hit the side of the shell (kind of in the middle) pretty hard with the blade of a butter knife to split the shell, then just scoop out the egg white (& yolk) with your spoon.....you'd think you'd get shell in the egg but you don't! It doesn't look pretty but if you're chopping it up anyway who cares, and it's a lot less frustrating than peeling!
Very cool! I didn't know about the opening tip. I never would have thought to do something like that.

I do use the "older" eggs for hard-boiled. I have cooking those pretty much down to a science as my son loves them (sans yolk) for breakfast. I really should at least attempt to make deviled eggs sometime. I like them, but I've never made them.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:37 PM   #270
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MaggieMayhem
Stats: 169.5/157/140 (5'4)
Start Date: 1/17/2011
Emerald Cocoa Covered Almonds

Just tried some of the Emerald Cocoa Covered Almonds and they are fantastic! Wish I could find them in the 100 calorie packs so I would have a controlled stopping point. But I did pretty good, poured my serving size into a tiny cup and walked away from the container..yummy! Highly recommend them.

Christine
MaggieMayhem is offline   Reply With Quote