Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2010, 07:56 PM   #121
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dragonfire
Stats: 5'5"/260/226/135
WOE: Medi Weight Loss
Start Date: 04/07/2010 Restart 01/08/2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by lins View Post
How do you figure out calories/protein intake? Is it the calories on the package as long as it's protein rich foods, or is their some other way to figure it?
To calculate protein calories, this is what you need to know:
1 g of protein = 4 calories

if something has 20g protein (says on label) then 20x4= 80 calories of protein

Thats what you need to add up. FYI 500 calories protein is 125g protein.

Hope this helps.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2010, 08:32 PM   #122
Senior LCF Member

Congrats on losses to anewstart, lins, & amy1915

Don't worry txbtv! 2nd week usually has lower loss number from what I've seen. You're doing well incorporating muscle building. Give it some time and that new muscle will increase your BMR so you lose more weight.

Sshals's food epiphany
I'm going to copy and print out those guidelines!

I just got back from the gym. 40 min on elliptical (400 cal burned according to the machine) and some arm weight training. I drank a protein shake to compensate for the calories. My carbs today were high (net 25g). That and not taking any burners until dinner, hopefully I'll still be in ketosis tomorrow morning. We'll see. I'll be sure to eat super clean tomorrow.

Hang in there everyone! We're all losing weight together!

Old 04-16-2010, 04:51 AM   #123
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: txntv
Stats: 5'5" 169.5/131/140
WOE: Medi-weightloss
Start Date: March 25, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfire View Post
Congrats on losses to anewstart, lins, & amy1915

Don't worry txntv! 2nd week usually has lower loss number from what I've seen. You're doing well incorporating muscle building. Give it some time and that new muscle will increase your BMR so you lose more weight.
Actually it was my THIRD weigh in. Not second. So it was two low numbers in two weeks. Thanks for your support. Am hoping the added muscle will mean some bigger losses soon...
Old 04-16-2010, 05:24 AM   #124
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eptexy
Stats: 5'4 165/132/125
WOE: Medi Weightloss - Maintenance!!!
Start Date: March 2010
I had the same kind of loss in the 2nd and 3rd week. You're not that big so the weight is going to come off much slower. See my numbers?
Old 04-16-2010, 05:30 AM   #125
Senior LCF Member

I went shopping yesterday because my clothes were literally hanging off of me. Bought a size 8 jeans! (It was NY&Co so I know they run big but still!) Kind of exciting!

On the flip side, does anyone else still feel fat even after losing quite a bit? It's kind of disheartening in a way. I'm a photographer and my assistant took some snaps of me being silly during our shoot last night and I was like - gag! I thought I looked better than that. Sometimes I think our idea of what we're going to become is greater than what the reality is. No amount of weight loss is going to give us 100% confidence and make us feel like gorgeous supermodels. Even a thinner me is still.... me.

In Wellness as of 6/4/2010!
Old 04-16-2010, 05:39 AM   #126
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eptexy View Post
I had the same kind of loss in the 2nd and 3rd week. You're not that big so the weight is going to come off much slower. See my numbers?
Thanks for the encouragement. Still, half a pound. Yuck. I am still 20 pounds from the average weight for my height, so I thought a little more would come off this early in the process.

Saw your second message about the fun photograph session. Let me tell you -- when I weighed 125lbs for a week, I still thought I was fat (and that's on the lower end of my height recommendation). Part of it was the fact I couldn't fit in size 8 or anything smaller.

Never again. If your BMI, body fat % numbers are normal (and I am betting they are), then celebrate those and the fact you can wear a size 8! I've seen skinny folks have not so great pics. Camera is a weird thing.
July: -2.5
Beyond: -5
Total loss: 38

Wellness...
Old 04-16-2010, 06:26 AM   #127
Senior LCF Member

I totally agree. It's just a reminder that we also have to work on the inside. Maintain balance in our lives, nurture ourselves, be spiritually connected, be good friends/parents/spouses. Get to an ideal weight but don't expect it to cure our lack of confidence completely. For my entire life (and I know I'm not alone here), I measured my confidence and happiness according to the number on the scale. If I still don't like me at 125, what then?

Just reflecting here.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:11 AM   #128
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lins
Start Date: 1/12/14
I am so confused, on how to add up my 500 calories a day. So if I have 1 egg, which has 6 grams of protein, times 4 that's, 24 protein calories. I've beem adding my calories as 70. So is that wrong? Under my calculations I had 228 protein calories yesterday, so did I eat too little? It added up to be 515 total calories.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:19 AM   #129
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I am so confused, on how to add up my 500 calories a day. So if I have 1 egg, which has 6 grams of protein, times 4 that's, 24 protein calories. I've beem adding my calories as 70. So is that wrong? Under my calculations I had 228 protein calories yesterday, so did I eat too little? It added up to be 515 total calories.
What I was told was to count up my protein grams then convert them to calories.

So if the egg is 6g protein then yes it's 24 protein calories. Your protein calories must add up to 500 calories. The other calories come from fat or carbs.
(1 g carb = 4 calories. 1 g fat = 9 calories)

To eat the minimum of 500 protein calories, you need to eat 125g protein. It's alot of protein I know. If you eat under the 500 protein cal, your body goes into starvation mode and you won't lose.

This is what I was told so I count up protein grams and convert to calories every night to make sure i hit the 500. It's working for me.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:26 AM   #130
Senior LCF Member

Okay now I am even more confused because I just got off the phone with my medi clinic. And they said not to do it that way. That I should be adding just the calories on the package, so if an egg is 70 calories and 6 grams of protein, then I count that as 70 calories not as 24 protein calories.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:28 AM   #131
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Okay now I am even more confused because I just got off the phone with my medi clinic. And they said not to do it that way. That I should be adding just the calories on the package, so if an egg is 70 calories and 6 grams of protein, then I count that as 70 calories not as 24 protein calories.
Honestly then I don't know. Looks like we were told different things. I guess do what your clinic tells you since you are paying them.

I didn't mean to make you confused. Sorry.

Last edited by Dragonfire; 04-16-2010 at 09:30 AM..
Old 04-16-2010, 09:33 AM   #132
Senior LCF Member

Do you think I should call another clinic and get a second option? I don't want to be spending this much money on a program and find out that I am doing it wrong or damaging my body in some way. Because there is a big difference between my 228 protein calories from yesterday and my adding it up as 515 calories. I trust my clinic, but at the same time you were told something different so I don't know what I should be doing.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:39 AM   #133
Senior LCF Member

I think that's a good thing to do. It wouldn't hurt just to double check. My info comes from the clinic in Fort Meyers, FL via my mom. It's how she was told (she's been on Medi since Sept and has lost close to 50lbs just through the plan. no exercise.) So I do it the way she does.

I'm sorry I got you confused.:blush:

Can anyone else on Medi say how they calculate their 500 calories?
Old 04-16-2010, 11:09 AM   #134
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mom on a mission
Stats: Ht 5' 7" 247/156.4/160
WOE: MWL
Start Date: January 2, 2010
Quote:
Lins- My clinic says the same thing. I've done it this way from the beginning and have had great success. I'm not about to fiddle with what has worked (for me) so far

Had a surprising loss at my weigh in today, down another -4.4 lbs. I was feeling like this would be a plateau week. I've been faithfully on plan, but my exercise was a bit less intense, so I thought it would reflect maybe 1 lb loss or so.

Happy to be heading into the weekend a total of 65.8 lbs lighter. Have a great weekend everyone.

REACHED GOAL WEIGHT ON 06/24/10
Total Loss: -90.6 lbs

Wellness...
Old 04-16-2010, 11:23 AM   #135
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Desert-Rose7
Stats: 5'11"/262/150/150
WOE: MediWeightLoss
Start Date: 12/19/08 in Wellness since 09/03/2009
From day one, I have journalled everything that has gone into my mouth. 500 calories of protein is 500 calories of protein. 20 grams of carbs are 20 grams of carbs. I keep the sugar as low as the law allows preferring 0 grams whenever possible. Keep it simple. You can get yourself all wrapped up in the itty bitty details to the point of distraction. Keep it basic. Your journal should be your guide. I used up the first one and went to a plain old spiral notebook from there.

Today is my 475th day working the program, and my 217th day in maintenance. I tally the date, the program/maintain date, the ounces of water, and the food I take in. I know calorie counts almost by heart now, and use the MWL calorie list like a little bible especially when I try something new. I read labels in the grocery store. To be really blunt, it is what it is. Do not try to make it something more. This is a simple program, do not try to make it so technically challenging for yourself or you will lose your way.

When you go to the gas station, you choose the fuel from three choices (usually), and start the pump. Eating is the same thing. Choose your fuel, and get going. Literally. Exercise is a MAJOR component of this program.

And finally, do it or don't. The choice is always yours to make and that choice is your responsibility, as is the responsibility to take good care of the one body you have control over.

As Yoda says...yes that is where my little mantra comes from....do or do not....there is no try.

Not trying to be rude, pushy or unintentionally harsh. But this program works BECAUSE it is simple, direct and to the point. I really do try not to say much anymore unless I believe I can say something helpful.

Just remember, keep it simple.

Jo
Old 04-16-2010, 04:21 PM   #136
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SCgirlinFL
Stats: 259.4/181.8/140
WOE: Medi
Start Date: January 7, 2010
Quote:
I went shopping yesterday because my clothes were literally hanging off of me. Bought a size 8 jeans! (It was NY&Co so I know they run big but still!) Kind of exciting!

On the flip side, does anyone else still feel fat even after losing quite a bit? It's kind of disheartening in a way. I'm a photographer and my assistant took some snaps of me being silly during our shoot last night and I was like - gag! I thought I looked better than that. Sometimes I think our idea of what we're going to become is greater than what the reality is. No amount of weight loss is going to give us 100% confidence and make us feel like gorgeous supermodels. Even a thinner me is still.... me.
I know what you mean. I have lost 62lbs and still feel big as a whale! People are telling me I look great, but it's hard to take the compliments when it's not what I see or feel. Anyway, I just keep plugging on working on me and hoping the connection will happen eventually. SCgirl

Last edited by SCgirlinFL; 04-16-2010 at 04:28 PM..
Old 04-16-2010, 04:51 PM   #137
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hey lins, my clinic says the same thing as yours. As long as I am eating from the protein list I just count those calories and get atleast 500 calories from protein foods. I don't even count protein grams. If a food has the calories on the pkg then I go w/ that, if not, I will use the Medi guesstaments (sp?) in the back of the journal. For example if I get grilled chicken breast and steamed veggies from a restaurant I count it as 35 cal per oz & 3 oz is abt the size of your palm and 1/2 c veggies as 25 cal & 5 carbs. I try not to get TOOO technical b/c I am such a control freak I would drive myself crazy. I eat 500 cal from protein foods/day then abt 50 cal/day from fruits, veggies, SF creamer...I workout 4x/wk average doing walking and zumba. I try not to obsess to much and my weight has come off fairly steadily. I have lost 62lbs in 13 wks.

I hope it does not sound like I am making light of your concern, I just want you to know that's it's ok...relax into it alittle, trust what medi has told you b/c they have done most of the figuring out work. Eat what you know and slowly start adding in things to find what works best for you. I would also suggest planning your day at the beginning or even the night before, that way you can plan around what you have to do. Like if you are going to be going out to lunch/dinner then have that be your biggest meal w/ veggies and try to lighten the rest. I don't see each day as make or break and try to look at the whole week, for example I might only get in 495 protein cal one day (I do try to never do it, but hey, it happens) so the next day I eat maybe 515 cal from protein.

I know this message is long-winded, but just want to let you know it sounds like you are on the right track. Good luck, SCgirl
Old 04-17-2010, 04:16 AM   #138
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sshals
Stats: 5'4" 264/192/132
Start Date: 02/2010
Quote:
Do you think I should call another clinic and get a second option? I don't want to be spending this much money on a program and find out that I am doing it wrong or damaging my body in some way. Because there is a big difference between my 228 protein calories from yesterday and my adding it up as 515 calories. I trust my clinic, but at the same time you were told something different so I don't know what I should be doing.
Hi! One thing that I've noticed reading these boards is that what clinics tell people varies to a certain extent. I think the best thing to do, is just do exactly what your particular clinic says. The sum total of what the tell you will work. If you take a bit of information from one place and a bit of information from another place, it may not add up the same.

As far as my clinic goes, the only calories I count are protein calories, and I eat 500-550 a day. I do not count the calories from the 2 cups of vegetables, or the serving of fat 3 times a week, because my clinic told me not to worry about it. I spent exactly one day trying to count all my calories, just out of curiosity, and it really stressed me out. It reminded me too much of previous diets that had failed...
Old 04-17-2010, 04:17 AM   #139
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sshals
Stats: 5'4" 264/192/132
Start Date: 02/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert-Rose7 View Post
I really do try not to say much anymore unless I believe I can say something helpful.
I am sorry I missed your talkative time! You always have such insightful comments and well-thought out comments. Plus, if I had gone through this at the same time as you did, we'd both be thin by now
Old 04-17-2010, 07:17 AM   #140
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NOT2fat4fun
Stats: 190/178/145 again
Start Date: May 5, 2009
Hey Jo - the comment about your talkative time made me smile and brought back some great memories... I will post over on maintain land...
Old 04-18-2010, 09:25 AM   #141
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 38:5'5 256.6/228.4/125
WOE: MWL
Start Date: 12/29/09 RI 12/10/10 RII 06/01/11 RIII10/08/12
Can someone tell if they take the Medi shakes if they mix it with water or skim or almond milk?
Old 04-18-2010, 09:39 AM   #142
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the advice Jo.

How is everyone doing?

It's been a crazy few days. I'm annoyed at myself for not giving myself the time to eat on Friday at work so I was under my protein calories. I'm still learning to take time for myself to take care of myself.

Yesterday was a crazy day but I was able to catch up on my food. I didn't anticipate spending all day in the car dealership but I got a new car and was able to get my protein so all is good.

Arms are finally better from Thursday arm weight session so heading back to the gym tonight. I think I'm still retaining water from the thurs session so I'm hoping the weight on the scale keeps going down.

I'm wondering if my body needs to adjust to going to the gym again.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:24 AM   #143
Senior LCF Member

Kasey, I notice a big difference in pounds lost when I don't work out. I was losing so slowly when I was REALLY hitting it hard at the gym but then I took a week off because of my schedule and I dropped weight like crazy. Sad isn't it? I'm wondering if I just shouldn't just walk three times a week or something until I reach goal. Then I'll start building muscle. I feel so flabby though! Being a size 8 is fine and all but I'm still 30% fat! LOL
Old 04-18-2010, 11:33 AM   #144
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Kasey, I notice a big difference in pounds lost when I don't work out. I was losing so slowly when I was REALLY hitting it hard at the gym but then I took a week off because of my schedule and I dropped weight like crazy. Sad isn't it? I'm wondering if I just shouldn't just walk three times a week or something until I reach goal. Then I'll start building muscle. I feel so flabby though! Being a size 8 is fine and all but I'm still 30% fat! LOL
But what about the fat and muscle numbers? Do you lose muscle when you don't workout? My losses have been low and I do workout a lot including weight training.

Size 8 is awesome! I could never fit into a size 8 even at 125lb (5'5"). Just goes to show numbers can be all over the place and we all need to try to find peace with them somehow.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:17 PM   #145
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: slbpl61
Stats: 5'8" 206/203/165
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 08/16/2013 Restart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Determined Gemini View Post
Can someone tell if they take the Medi shakes if they mix it with water or skim or almond milk?

I have always made my medi shakes with water and usually 1/2 pack of sugar free orange jello, simply b/c I love the creamsicle flavor it provides. I used to make higher carb shakes on my old WOE with OJ, fruit, etc. On ocassion, I will add a splash of half and half or cool whip to make it a bit more creamy. I think medi has a good quality protein that allows for minimal ingredients to make it taste good. I have only used the vanilla so far. How's the chocolate? I have added some cocoa when I want a chocolatey flavor. Check out the Medi Shake thread for tons of good recipes.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:18 PM   #146
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Determined Gemini View Post
Hey DG,
I mix mine w/ 8 oz cold water. It seems for me the colder the better. I will also blend 8oz water, scoop of vanilla shake (NOT good w/ chocolate...who whoulda thunk? Chocolate + Strawberries...yum O), abt 4 strawberries and ice to make a smoothie. The strawberries add 12 cal & 3 carbs, wh/ is less than the Medi recipe for a strawberry smoothie using LC yogurt, but just as good to me. Good luck, SCgirl
Old 04-18-2010, 02:21 PM   #147
Senior LCF Member

Hey Susan, the chocolate is pretty good to me and is usually my go to flavor b/c it is only 1 carb where the vanilla is 2 carbs (small difference I know, but as you know...every carb counts!) SCgirl
Old 04-18-2010, 02:31 PM   #148
Senior LCF Member

Alittle worried here guys w/ all the talk of working out slowing down weightloss. I have been steady losing while walking/zumba 4-5x/wk. At my last weigh in the doc suggested I take up some strength training to prevent sagging skin. I am down alittle over 60lbs so far & hate to stop the progress. I got a cruise in June!!! Which is worse...weighing less and being saggy or weighing more and being toned I can either look good in a smaller size cocktail dress or a bigger size bathing suit...WHAT'S A POOR GIRL TO DO SCgirl
Old 04-18-2010, 02:32 PM   #149
Senior LCF Member

I went back to Week 1 woe because I needed a boost to my weight loss this coming week. I am very anxious to see how it turned out. I was back in ketosis yesterday and today, Day 4 and Day 5. I did have some veggies last night with dinner and today with lunch but it was soooo much easier to stay on the Week 1 plan this time around for some reason. I've been wanting to go shopping but I still have enough clothes in my closet to get me through another 10 pounds/1 size, I think. I did pop into Dillards recently to try on sizes and I was fitting into a size 12 dress from pretty much a 14-16. I'm 22 pounds away from my first goal but I am seriously considering lowering that another 5-10 pounds. I will have to see how I feel first.

I am going to be moving and am trying to stay distracted today by organizing items for goodwill, a moving sale, craigslist, etc. That should take hours!! LOL Hope you all are having a fabulous weekend! The weather here is absolutely beautiful!

Oh and one last note, my boyfriend and I went out last night and I commented about how happy I was to be wearing the junior sized jeans I had on because they have been in my closet a few years but I always loved how they looked and felt on (you all know what I am talking about ). He is not a man of many words but he put his arm around me and told me how good I was looking. Gotta love him!
Old 04-18-2010, 02:36 PM   #150
Senior LCF Member

SCGirl....you crack me up....lol. I would probably feel exactly the way you do. I am getting this close to throwing away my scale. But I think you know the answer. I really need to add in some strength training for the same reason. Where are you cruising to? We are planning to go to Key West in June. What part of FL do you live in?
Closed Thread