Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2010, 12:06 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Badonkadonk
Start Date: February 25, 2010
Medi & Hypothyroid

So, I start the Medi program tomorrow and am trying to amp myself up. I've tried EVERYTHING short of surgery to lose weight.

I'm currently taking Phentermine 37.5 and it isn't doing squat as well as 0.25 mg of Synthroid. I've gained weight (up to 12 lbs. on all of the Dr. monitored diets (South Beach, Mediterranian, Weight Watchers).

PLEASE tell me someone has had success on Medi who also suffers from Hypo. I need some motivation - and at the cost of the program I don't want to throw my $$$ down the drain.
Badonkadonk is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2010, 02:29 PM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: leslee249
Stats: 191/170/155
WOE: MWL
Start Date: 1/6/09
Hi there.

I've been successful on Medi and have lost 20 pounds in the past 7 1/2 weeks (would have been more but I need either saltines or tums for nausea with cluster migraines this month, so in and out of ketosis lately).

I'm on .175 mg of synthroid daily. It is definitely slower loss with hypothyroidism, but it is working. I do struggle with the $$$ related to cost per pound lost, but will be at goal weight in another 6-8 weeks. I too had gained weight on WW because I crave carbs, so having 1 piece of bread made me want more, much more. I find that with the exception of my husband's to-die-for garlic bread and home made b-day cake, I no longer crave any breads or pastas, and can maintain the plan without exceeding 20-25 net carbs most days (except for 7 days needing the saltines and tums in the past month).

In hindsight, the first month was incredibly helpful for the support and knowing I'd be paying for them to weigh me and review my journal, I stuck with it. Don't know if I could have detoxed from carbs without that support as the first week is really tough. I feel now that my eating is in line with the program (except the saltines/tums when needed) and I'll just be sticking with it.

I'd say to give it the first month and be meticulous about following the plan, and then if you feel as though it isn't for you financially, measure your food, journal every day and be honest about the calories and carb levels. If you can stick with it, you will loose.

Good luck!
leslee249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:45 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: amy1915
Stats: 230/230/130
WOE: Medi Weight Loss
Start Date: Started Over 9/2012 after 76lb loss in 2010.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badonkadonk View Post
So, I start the Medi program tomorrow and am trying to amp myself up. I've tried EVERYTHING short of surgery to lose weight.

I'm currently taking Phentermine 37.5 and it isn't doing squat as well as 0.25 mg of Synthroid. I've gained weight (up to 12 lbs. on all of the Dr. monitored diets (South Beach, Mediterranian, Weight Watchers).

PLEASE tell me someone has had success on Medi who also suffers from Hypo. I need some motivation - and at the cost of the program I don't want to throw my $$$ down the drain.
Hi - I suffer from hypo and I have lost 25 lbs since I started. I am on 100mg/day of synthroid and just got the ok from my endo on Mon to take a double dose twice a month to keep things moving. My thyroid problem has been successfully managed for over 5 years...so for me I can't really blame my thyroid for my weight issues.

Stay positive and do exactly what they tell you to do at the clinic. You'll be so glad you took this step. Good luck and hope to hear about your progress.
Amy
amy1915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 02:13 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: elizabethgrace
Stats: 242/223/150
Start Date: 1/14/2010
I am on .2mg(200MCG) of synthroid for hypo daily. (20 years)

Started Medi on 1/14/10 and have lost 15 lbs. and 4 inches in waist.

Could have done better but broke my toe the second week on program and gained 5 lbs. that week (but I lost five the very next week)

You can lose weight with Medi even taking thyroid medicine.
elizabethgrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:28 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Medi-Annie
Stats: 219/137/140
WOE: Medi-Weight Loss
Start Date: 8/11/09
I've had hypothyroidism since my early 30's (and I'm 51 now.) I take .100 mcg of Levothyroxine daily. I've lost 60 pounds since I started Medi. It does work.
Medi-Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:46 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: saraanne
Stats: 188/161/140
WOE: Medi-Weight Loss
Start Date: 01/06/10
I also take Levoxyl every day. I take .112 and my tests have been normal for the last 12 months or so. I've lost almost 20 in 7 weeks so it will work.
saraanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 11:46 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: elizabethgrace
Stats: 242/223/150
Start Date: 1/14/2010
Synthroid, Levothxine, etc. users.

If you do not mind sharing the information, I would like to know how many shots you are taking weekly. It seems that if I take two MIC shots weekly and the B6/B12 I seem to have more energy and lose more weight.

I am on .2mg(200MCG) of synthroid daily. My levels fluctuate (something about the way my body absorbs and stores the medication) and every six months I have to be tested. Sometimes my dosage will be increased and sometimes stay the same.

I take the AS three times daily and have not had any side effects( jitteryness or racing heart), so it is not conflicting with the thyroid medicine.

I think the shots are a big boost to my metabolism and would like to talk to my MEDI doctor about the interplay of the shots and my thyroid medicine.
The shots may be the key to why I had so much trouble losing weight on other plans.
elizabethgrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 02:40 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luvlonghorns
Stats: 5'6"/162/127.5/128-Maintenance since 10/8/09
WOE: MEDI-Weightloss
Start Date: July 9, 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badonkadonk View Post

I have been on medication for hypothyroid for years. However, synthroid and other synthetic thyroid medications did not work well for me. For years I had taken Armour Thyroid. When it became unavailable earlier this year, my doctor provided a prescription for a compounding pharmacy to make natural desiccated thyroid for me. These capsules seems to work even better than the Armour did (less problems with feeling cold, for sure!).
Anyway, to get to the point of your question, you can do great on MEDI if you follow the plan. I started July 9, 2009 and was at maintenance by October 8, 2009. In that time, I followed the dietary and supplement plan to a "T". I did not exercise. I lost over 30 pounds.
It definitely depends on the type of dieter you are. If you follow the MEDI plan, the fat will fall away like crazy!
If you cheat, however, results will be more typical of all diets in general. Failure.
MEDI provides the plan that works. The patient provides the discipline. In my experience, thin really does feel better than any cheat could ever taste.
Good luck!
luvlonghorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:23 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jcfischer
Stats: 217/165/130
WOE: Medi
Start Date: April 2010
Yay! That is so good to hear...I'm on an "Armour" compound as well and just started the Medi today. Very, VERY encouraging guys...THANK YOU!!
jcfischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 03:33 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: FlaGal
Are those of you taking thyroid replacements med - Synthroid or Levothyroxine, etc - tolerating the appetite suppressants OK? Is it OK to mix the two drugs? I take my Synthroid in the morning. How long between do you wait to take the AS? Thanks!!
FlaGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 04:54 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kelly4me
Stats: Lost 53 pounds 2010, Restart 2013
WOE: MWL in 2010, Low Carb 2013
Start Date: 8/27/2010, 10/22/2013
FlaGal - My doctor okay'd taking them together. I was having insomnia issues, so I ended up weaning down to 1 or 2 AS tablets and I take them early. I take it at the same time as my Levothyroxine. I did move my Medi Vitamin and first calcium pill until 11 AM.
kelly4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 12:37 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ericak44
Stats: 189/180/ size 10
WOE: Medi
Start Date: 10/1/10- restart 5/29/12
Something else to keep in mind for all of you with hypothyroid out there. There is a strong genetic link between thyroid disorders, type I diabetes, and celiac disease. Celliac is a gluten intolerance. Medi is naturally low gluten to gluten free. I am not hypothryoid but do have celiac. I also find the B shots very helpful, probably because of the decreased absorbtion of vitamins, etc. from the celiac.
ericak44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 06:10 AM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: melody7287
Stats: 203/157/135
Start Date: October 2010
I have hypothyrouid as well, and this has been the ONLY diet that has worked for me.
melody7287 is offline   Reply With Quote