Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Medi Weightloss (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/medi-weightloss/)
-   -   Medi Week 1 Disappointment -Please Help! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/medi-weightloss/662898-medi-week-1-disappointment-please-help.html)

shannoneb1124 02-21-2010 06:05 PM

Medi Week 1 Disappointment -Please Help!

So I started the program back in January on my own and lost about 11 pounds the first week. I had my consultation and fully intended to get started witht the program, but both my boys got RSV, were sick for a few weeks, etc. etc. so I have finally gotten started "officially."

I went in for my first weigh in (on Day 6) and I lost a grand total of .4 oz.
I am really upset and don't understand what is going on. I followed the plan to a T. The nurse practioner and counselor were confused as well and they have upped my cals for this week b/c they think they may have been too low and my body was going into starvation mode and holding on to everything. I was testing and was in ketosis for at least 3 days and now I'm not.

I'm so disappointed, confused and want to keep trying, but was just wondering if anyone else had ever had a similar experience. I have PCOS, hypothyroidism (which they checked and was fine) and am suppose to start my cycle in the next few days.

Can anyone offer any explanation? Suggestions? Etc. I'm all ears!!!!

amy1915 02-21-2010 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shannoneb1124 (Post 13166583)
So I started the program back in January on my own and lost about 11 pounds the first week. I had my consultation and fully intended to get started witht the program, but both my boys got RSV, were sick for a few weeks, etc. etc. so I have finally gotten started "officially."

I went in for my first weigh in (on Day 6) and I lost a grand total of .4 oz.
I am really upset and don't understand what is going on. I followed the plan to a T. The nurse practioner and counselor were confused as well and they have upped my cals for this week b/c they think they may have been too low and my body was going into starvation mode and holding on to everything. I was testing and was in ketosis for at least 3 days and now I'm not.

I'm so disappointed, confused and want to keep trying, but was just wondering if anyone else had ever had a similar experience. I have PCOS, hypothyroidism (which they checked and was fine) and am suppose to start my cycle in the next few days.

Can anyone offer any explanation? Suggestions? Etc. I'm all ears!!!!

Shannoneb1124 - I am by no means an expert so I am just guessing, but are you taking any kind of medication for the PCOS that might have some kind of weird side effect? You told the clinic about it right? I assume since your thyroid levels were fine you're on something for that. Without knowing exactly what you ate I think it will be difficult for any of us to pin point something specific...did you possibly have any drinks that could have thrown you off?

shannoneb1124 02-22-2010 02:42 AM

Thanks for your response Amy.

No, I am not on any medication right now for the PCOS. I have had two children and my cycle use to be very irregular but after two babies it seems to have gotten itself straight on it's own. I tried Metaformin a few years ago, but it dropped my blood sugar dangerously low.

I am on synthyroid for my hypothyroidism and they checked my levels and those were fine.

They checked my food journal and said it looked good. I didn't have any alcohol, sweets, etc.

I did however eat almonds and they were a bit salty. I think I made try and cut them out and make sure I don't have to much sodium.

They counselor and nurse practioner were not much help.

Thanks for your help everyone. I was really excited about doing this program and just knew it was going to work. I am so disappointed at this point. I will keep trying for a few more weeks and see what happens. I have just invested a lot of time and money with no results to show for it at this point.

SavLexiMom 02-22-2010 04:05 AM

Did you check the amount of fat mass loss, in comparison to the water loss/gained? I know at my last weigh-in, I had only lost 1.8, but that was because I was retaining a ton of water. I had actually lost 5.8 lb. of fat. Could it be water retention from being about to start your cycle? Maybe you already looked at that, but I know it was a big eye opener to me. Now I know to look at the big picture! Congrats on your new journey :)

shannoneb1124 02-24-2010 01:01 PM

Back in late December I tried a low carb, high protein diet (almost identical to Medi) that I was able to lose 11 pounds on very quickly.

I went for my consultation at Medi in January and had planned to get started, but both my boys got sick with RSV and I had to cancel my appointment and have just started "officially" with Medi and am on Day 10, not seeing any result.

I have been very disappointed, frastrated, etc. b/c the seems to work so well for many people, and I was hopefully it would work for me as well.

I went in for my first weigh in last Saturday and had gained .4 oz. The staff wasn't very helpful at all. They seemed very flustered and rushed and said I was doing everything right and they were confused as to why I wasn't losing.

After a long talk with my husband and mother, they both convinced me to stick with it for a few more weeks. I went to the NL location to get my shot this a.m. and asked if I could talk with someone. They were very helpful and the NP sat down with me and looked over my food journal.

She discovered that I wasn't getting enough protein and told me to not count nuts or pb as protein. I'm hoping this will make a difference and so glad I talked with her.

However, I've gone (and paid!!!) for 2 weeks already and the staff on Saturday looked at my same journal and said it looed fine.

I hope to make these changes and keep with it for a rew more weeks and hope for some positive results!

I'm just wondering if this has happened to anyone else and ended successfully?

NOT2fat4fun 02-24-2010 05:28 PM

Shannon -
I find it interesting that you had nuts and peanut butter your first week - my first week was pure proteins (no deli meat, etc...)... What else were you eating?

shannoneb1124 02-24-2010 06:24 PM

Well, the first nurse I spoke with said that I could have almonds & peanut butter (but I have been counting it in as part of my protein and was told today that I could have them, but not count as protein.)

I'm going to just cut them out anyway and hopefully that will help.

I was given a sheet with a sample first menu and grocery list and I know deli meats were on there.

I thought that the program was the same across the board?

I also ate grilled chicken, lean steak, boiled shrimp, coffee with sugar free creamer, laughing cow lite cheese, grilled tilapia, etc.

Do these sound fairly similar?

NOT2fat4fun 02-24-2010 06:58 PM

There are differences in some clinics based on what people have posted. Although it has been awhile - I do believe that paperwork was posted in the newbie thread about what the general rules for week one and acute are... could be wrong about that.
Deli meat, in my opinion, is fragile territory because of the additives and often higher carb count.
Your chicken, steak, etc... looks the same as my info. I would definitely stay with the program as it does work. Were you counting calories and carbs?
Also - what is your starting weight?

SDC2 02-24-2010 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shannoneb1124 (Post 13180138)
Well, the first nurse I spoke with said that I could have almonds & peanut butter (but I have been counting it in as part of my protein and was told today that I could have them, but not count as protein.)

I'm going to just cut them out anyway and hopefully that will help.

I was given a sheet with a sample first menu and grocery list and I know deli meats were on there.

I thought that the program was the same across the board?

I also ate grilled chicken, lean steak, boiled shrimp, coffee with sugar free creamer, laughing cow lite cheese, grilled tilapia, etc.

Do these sound fairly similar?

Are you restricting your creamer to 1 Tablespoon per day. I'm not sure what your NP meant when she said that the almonds and PB were not to count as your protein. You still have to be accountable for the calories and nuts are a significant source of calories. If she meant you shouldn't have them, then I understand, but everything you eat needs to be counted (with the exception of vegetables) as part of your calories. When they call them protein calories, that means that most of the calories should be protein. There are no freebies on this program. At least that is how it is at my clinic.

shannoneb1124 02-26-2010 03:08 PM

I am so confused.

My first week I was given a list of lean proteins that I could have during my first week. These included lean beef, pork, turkey, deli meat, fish, etc. and low-fat cheeses.

When I went for my first weigh in and had gained, I was told I had done everything right. And, then to go ahead and add my veggie or fruit serving in addition to adding an additional 200-300 cals of protein on time of my 500.

Then when I went this week, the NP told me that I wasn't getting enough protein and that I should not count almonds or peanut butter into my protein calculations, and w/o those, I had been coming up short on my protein for most of the 10 days so far. :annoyed:

She said she did want me to continue with my protein at about 600 cals and then add veggie or fruit and fat (and said I could use the pntbttr or almonds here)

Basically, I've been having at least 500-600 of protein coming from lean meats and small amounts of lf cheeses. Then, I have been having a serving of veggies and an 100 cal bag of almonds as my daily fat intake.

Am I eating correctly as far as most of you (and the various clinics) are concerned?

I have been only having 1 tsp of sugar free creamer a day -thanks!

Any help would be appreciated -thanks so much everyone!

SDC2 02-26-2010 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shannoneb1124 (Post 13187718)
I am so confused.

My first week I was given a list of lean proteins that I could have during my first week. These included lean beef, pork, turkey, deli meat, fish, etc. and low-fat cheeses.

When I went for my first weigh in and had gained, I was told I had done everything right. And, then to go ahead and add my veggie or fruit serving in addition to adding an additional 200-300 cals of protein on time of my 500.

Then when I went this week, the NP told me that I wasn't getting enough protein and that I should not count almonds or peanut butter into my protein calculations, and w/o those, I had been coming up short on my protein for most of the 10 days so far. :annoyed:

She said she did want me to continue with my protein at about 600 cals and then add veggie or fruit and fat (and said I could use the pntbttr or almonds here)

Basically, I've been having at least 500-600 of protein coming from lean meats and small amounts of lf cheeses. Then, I have been having a serving of veggies and an 100 cal bag of almonds as my daily fat intake.

Am I eating correctly as far as most of you (and the various clinics) are concerned?

I have been only having 1 tsp of sugar free creamer a day -thanks!

Any help would be appreciated -thanks so much everyone!

I can see why you are confused, but it looks like what you are doing is fine to me. It looks like you are eating about 700 cals per day plus your fruits and vegetables.

It would help the rest of us if you would enter your weight statistics. The speed of your weight loss and the number of calories you are given is determined by your starting weight.

Good luck to you and please keep posting.