Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2010, 10:40 AM   #871
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Charlene4
Stats: 154.5/135/135
WOE: vegan/vegetarian
Start Date: June 7,2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamtam View Post
I hope I am posting to right thread. Although I have not posted much, I am an avid reader of this site. I have been doing Medi since March 2010. I have lost 50 lbs and am 5 lbs from goal but I feel I am sabotaging myself because I am afraid of transition and maintenance. Transition seems so mysterious! I can’t seem to find out much about it.
My weight loss for the last several weeks has been slow. I have strong cravings and usually satisfy them with almonds. I have not been in Ketosis for a couple of weeks. It seems the smallest amount of carbs knocks me out of ketosis. Prior to Medi, I was a fruit and vegetable person. I really have missed them and the JOY of cooking and eating!! I do not have a lot of confidence in the staff at my Medi clinic. I am 65 years old and sometimes wonder if I am harming myself with this program long term. But I am scared to death of gaining this weight back. I have taken the AS all this time and am afraid to stop!! I would welcome any comments or suggestions.
What I would love to do is switch my WOE to less protein and more fruit, veggies and dairy (occasionally). What would happen if I switched to something like Weight Watchers? Can anyone comment of this idea?
Thanks in advance for any replies.
I am not sure about Weight Watchers, as I have never done another "official" weight loss program other than Medi but as far as being 5lbs from goal and "self-sabotaging"...it seems like that happens to a lot of us. It definately happened to me! I am currently two and a half weeks or so into transition. Even though I didn't have a large amount to lose to start with, the closer I got to my goal, the slower my loss became and the more I started "experimenting" with foods and quantities. I was eating more than the 550-600 calories that I was prescribed for about 3 weeks prior to deciding to switch to transition. I would still like to lose a few more pounds but I was so hungry. I needed more variety. So far, from what I can tell you, transition is more mentally taxing than acute. I have had a couple "cheat days" where I had a small slice of cake (nothing like the slice I would have had before medi) and therefore, until the last few days, I have been scared to add in my allowed servings of starch. I am allowed several servings of veggies per day now and more protein. I am supposed to stay around 1200 until my next appt on Friday but I fluctuate between 900-1400. I also work out 30-90 minutes at least 6 days a week on top of a relatively physical occupation. I have good days and bad days as far as my weight is concerned. I appear to have gained 2 pounds since starting transition....although I can't be sure yet because on top of everything, I was sick for over a week and taking meds that made me has stomach/bloating issues. I weigh every morning and my weight has been as much as 6 pounds heavier than when I went on transition but usually goes back to within 1-2 pounds. I'm sure my body is in shock due to the extra servings of starches (I'm allowed 2 servings now), veggies, extra dairy, etc. It really seems like a lot of food to be "allowed" after being used to under 1000! That is the part that is mentally hard for me. I feel like I am overeating every single day so far, on transition. Some days, I wake up bloated, like I used to...and other days, I wake up and feel really slim. I can't say what the future holds for either of us but I know there are plenty of successful maintainers on this forum that probably experienced the same type of things. I think the basis of the maintenance plan is making sure you get a certain percentage of your calories from protein/fat/carbs/etc.

I fell out of ketosis in acute after I had too much salad at a salad buffet one day at lunch. Nothing that was bad....just salad, too much of it. I was never able to get back after that. I don't know if it was due to the salad, working out more...or what. I continued to lose fat, just at a slower rate. A lot of people encourage going in transition if you are "sick of" acute. I was told that it is common to lose a few pounds in transition due to "waking your body up"....although I have yet to see a lose, I'm hoping. I don't know if that makes any sense or helps...but it's my two cents.

maintenance
Charlene4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2010, 10:45 AM   #872
Senior LCF Member

Today 9-12-10 (Happy birthday to me!!) So far
B- my splurge for the day, Dannon Greek yogurt with blueberries AND CM yogurt (200 total)
S-celery with laughing cow cheese (60ish), gel snack (10)
L-string cheese (60), one slice Sara Lee Light wheat (45), vegan burger with veggie slice (110), diet root beer
D-to be determined...but NO CAKE FOR ME! I made this clear to family. I am at work all day and when I arrive home I expect there will be no temptation of sweets.

Sunday- 9/11/10
B-protein shake (175)
s-naturally more peanut butter, blueberries(200)
l-flatout wrap with tomatoes, cucumbers, goat cheese, onions and Walden Farms Italian dressing (approx 250)
D-Salad w/SF Balsamic (75), Boca Vegan burger x 2 (140)
S-PB2-cool whip mixture thingy (approx 150)
post workout- detour protein bar (170)

65 minutes on bike, abs, legs

Last edited by Charlene4; 09-12-2010 at 10:48 AM..
Old 09-12-2010, 04:32 PM   #873
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Fit2010
Stats: Ht 5'3" Wt 12/09=190;9/10=137;2/14=196.5
WOE: MediWeightLoss-like/Atkins-like
Start Date: 12-28-09; restart 02-07-14
Happy Birthday Charlene!!

Great job on your self control!

Last edited by Fit2010; 09-12-2010 at 04:33 PM..
Fit2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 04:50 PM   #874
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fit2010 View Post
Happy Birthday Charlene!!

Great job on your self control!
Thanks! It's easier because I worked all day and am on call all night...so I'm limited. I did make myself a "faux" cheesecake to go with my salad and I made my husband and son some no-bake cookies which they loved.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:51 PM   #875
Major LCF Poster!

9-11-10
B - slice of Genesis bread toasted, plain
L - Taco Bell 99cent chicken burrito minus the rice and cheese, but + refried beans ,Sonic large diet Sprite with limes and strawberries - yep, I think the allergy is due to corn syrup in this.
***Spent the afternoon researching online all the things made from corn and milo (millet - a cousin of corn) and the things I'll need to avoid include corn, corn tortillas/chips, vinegar, vegetable oil, corn syrup, etc. Dandy....huh?! That makes it easier to avoid those sugary, high starch things, but man, corn syrup is in EVERYTHING!
S - walnuts
D - talapia, brocolli

Exercise - AM I jogged my 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 miles route without stopping. I need to stretch it out in the next week since a 5K is 3.3 miles.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

9-12-10
B - bite of banana (fruit challenge per allergist, did ok), walnuts
L - roasted pork on flour tortillas w/refried beans, guacamole, shredded lettuce, tomato
D - rye crisps and almond butter

Exercise - bicycled for 2 1/2 miles
Old 09-13-2010, 11:45 AM   #876
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tamtam
WOE: Medi
Start Date: 3/19/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlene4 View Post
I am not sure about Weight Watchers, as I have never done another "official" weight loss program other than Medi but as far as being 5lbs from goal and "self-sabotaging"...it seems like that happens to a lot of us. It definately happened to me! I am currently two and a half weeks or so into transition. Even though I didn't have a large amount to lose to start with, the closer I got to my goal, the slower my loss became and the more I started "experimenting" with foods and quantities. I was eating more than the 550-600 calories that I was prescribed for about 3 weeks prior to deciding to switch to transition. I would still like to lose a few more pounds but I was so hungry. I needed more variety. So far, from what I can tell you, transition is more mentally taxing than acute. I have had a couple "cheat days" where I had a small slice of cake (nothing like the slice I would have had before medi) and therefore, until the last few days, I have been scared to add in my allowed servings of starch. I am allowed several servings of veggies per day now and more protein. I am supposed to stay around 1200 until my next appt on Friday but I fluctuate between 900-1400. I also work out 30-90 minutes at least 6 days a week on top of a relatively physical occupation. I have good days and bad days as far as my weight is concerned. I appear to have gained 2 pounds since starting transition....although I can't be sure yet because on top of everything, I was sick for over a week and taking meds that made me has stomach/bloating issues. I weigh every morning and my weight has been as much as 6 pounds heavier than when I went on transition but usually goes back to within 1-2 pounds. I'm sure my body is in shock due to the extra servings of starches (I'm allowed 2 servings now), veggies, extra dairy, etc. It really seems like a lot of food to be "allowed" after being used to under 1000! That is the part that is mentally hard for me. I feel like I am overeating every single day so far, on transition. Some days, I wake up bloated, like I used to...and other days, I wake up and feel really slim. I can't say what the future holds for either of us but I know there are plenty of successful maintainers on this forum that probably experienced the same type of things. I think the basis of the maintenance plan is making sure you get a certain percentage of your calories from protein/fat/carbs/etc.

I fell out of ketosis in acute after I had too much salad at a salad buffet one day at lunch. Nothing that was bad....just salad, too much of it. I was never able to get back after that. I don't know if it was due to the salad, working out more...or what. I continued to lose fat, just at a slower rate. A lot of people encourage going in transition if you are "sick of" acute. I was told that it is common to lose a few pounds in transition due to "waking your body up"....although I have yet to see a lose, I'm hoping. I don't know if that makes any sense or helps...but it's my two cents.

Thank you Charlene for your comments. I suppose I am really "sick" of acute and just need to get my head around eating more and trusting the next phase of the program. As it turns out, I am going to miss going to Medi this week. I have never gained since I started and have never missed a weigh-in. Maybe missing a week will be a good thing. What has happened to me is that food is no longer anything but a "pain in the butt". For the most part the AS take my hunger away and I eat to make my calorie quota... whatever is fastest and easiest. My husband has never complained (although audible moans have been detected) about the way we now eat. He has lost weight and he doesn't have a single extra pound to spare!! Food is just an annoyance. I get cravings that I drown with liquids. I am not complaining ... the program has worked for me and I have tried many in my life. I think when I go back next week I will "bite the bullet" and ask to begin transition.
Onward and upward!!
tamtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:10 PM   #877
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lins
WOE: Medi-weightloss
Start Date: 1/12/14
UGH I am sick today and not feeling well at all.

FWIW-I'm in transition
B-Peanut Butter Protein Shake
L- Choc Protein Shake (my throat hurts and don't feel like eatting)
S- String Cheese
D- Grilled Chicken Breast
S- something that won't hurt my throat.....don't know what yet but I am under in calories
lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:39 PM   #878
Senior LCF Member

I had a CE class today and tomorrow for work...and the teacher was not real keen on breaks! Ugh.
B-yogurt, pb
s-think thin bar broken into two snack sessions
l-tofurky (2 servings), dry roasted edamame
s-more edamame
d-egg whites and ff cheddar, 4 strawberries, gel snack and pb, i was starving
only did some ab work tonight due to lack of time
Old 09-13-2010, 09:26 PM   #879
Major LCF Poster!

9-13-10
B - 2 scrambled eggs, 1 pc pork bacon
L - diet Dr Pepper (caffiene free), almonds
D - salad w/orange pepper/purple onion/2 grape tomatoes/zucchini, grilled asparagus, tuna, 4 strawberries

Exercise - Zumba class for 50 mins
Oblique rotation machine
Old 09-14-2010, 11:56 AM   #880
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: msawhitt
Stats: 220/130/145
Start Date: August 11, 2010
Quote:
Stacey - I would definitely count the 5 hours of bending, sorting, twisting, sweeping, cleaning storage unit. Great job! Hope you kept up your water intake, if not definitely do so today! You've been doing a great job losing on this WOE! Congratulations.
Thanks!!! : )

I am on vacation this week in Ft. Lauderdale, and although I have a full kitchen and a gym (and pool), I am STRUGGLING!! It is so hard to try to relax without also relaxing my eating and working out habits, and I am not going to lie- I have slipped up a few times : ( Not getting discouraged, I know this is part of life and always will be (trying to focus on the big picture, rather than weekly weigh-ins, also the fact that I don't have a weigh-in tomorrow is helping me not overreact to it). I know I am for sure out of ketosis, I didn't bring my strips because of how sensitive they are to heat changes, but trying my best to stay on the program with 500 protein calories daily, 2 veg (been sticking to salad greens only) daily and 3 healthy fat/3 healthy snack servings weekly. I will have to do a week of week 1 protein when I get home to get back on track.

lost 45 pounds in 3 months with MWL!

total loss of 90 pounds since May 2010

In maintenance : )
msawhitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:00 PM   #881
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
9-11-10
B - slice of Genesis bread toasted, plain
L - Taco Bell 99cent chicken burrito minus the rice and cheese, but + refried beans ,Sonic large diet Sprite with limes and strawberries - yep, I think the allergy is due to corn syrup in this.
***Spent the afternoon researching online all the things made from corn and milo (millet - a cousin of corn) and the things I'll need to avoid include corn, corn tortillas/chips, vinegar, vegetable oil, corn syrup, etc. Dandy....huh?! That makes it easier to avoid those sugary, high starch things, but man, corn syrup is in EVERYTHING!
Wouldn't it almost be good if, of all things, it was the corn syrup you were allergic to?!? What a motivation not to get back into junky food in the future!
Old 09-14-2010, 12:51 PM   #882
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: irabeslim
Stats: 5'2" - 253/140/140
WOE: MWL
Start Date: January 21st, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by msawhitt View Post
Thanks!!! : )

I am on vacation this week in Ft. Lauderdale, and although I have a full kitchen and a gym (and pool), I am STRUGGLING!! It is so hard to try to relax without also relaxing my eating and working out habits, and I am not going to lie- I have slipped up a few times : ( Not getting discouraged, I know this is part of life and always will be (trying to focus on the big picture, rather than weekly weigh-ins, also the fact that I don't have a weigh-in tomorrow is helping me not overreact to it). I know I am for sure out of ketosis, I didn't bring my strips because of how sensitive they are to heat changes, but trying my best to stay on the program with 500 protein calories daily, 2 veg (been sticking to salad greens only) daily and 3 healthy fat/3 healthy snack servings weekly. I will have to do a week of week 1 protein when I get home to get back on track.

Stacey, vacations are tough, but you have the right attitude - you are not killing yourself and you have a plan of how to get back. It will work for you, I am sure! Been there, done that
irabeslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:35 PM   #883
Senior LCF Member

My only problem with slipping up while traveling is that since my boyfriend works for a travel industry company, we are away from home A LOT. It is not the technical aspect of traveling (what to eat, how to cook it, etc...), it's tough to not have the "I'm on vacation, so I can relax!" mindset. We are in hotels up to 3 weekends a month, and for at least 6 full weeks per year, can't afford THAT much slipping up, lol!!

Checking this message board is keeping me on track (as best as I think I am going to be), it is just putting me back in the Medi mindset : ) Thanks again Irina for the encouragement!
Old 09-14-2010, 09:36 PM   #884
Major LCF Poster!

Stacey - I think I've narrowed it down and I AM ALLERGIC TO CORN SYRUP! And it's in everything, even under different names. So, anything corn related included vegetable oil.

9-14-10
B - rye crackers and almond butter
L - tuna, celery, sunflower seeds
D - pulled pork sandwich (used only about 1 1/2 tsp of BBQ sauce - has corn syrup prob)
Diet Sprite
S - tea, almonds

Exercise - Walked about 1 mile checking on my students in the hospital
Old 09-15-2010, 11:47 AM   #885
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eptexy
Stats: 5'4 165/132/125
WOE: Medi Weightloss - Maintenance!!!
Start Date: March 2010
Linda, I was diagnosed with a bunch of food sensitivities years ago and corn was a big one. Of course I don't adhere to it like I should but I discovered that there are more things made with corn than not out there! Have you seen the movie, Food Inc? I recommend it to everyone!!!
eptexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:59 PM   #886
Senior LCF Member

B-yogurt
S-medi bar
l-1/2 seitan wrap (wheat) w/veggies and watermelon
s-detour bar
d-tofu spring rolls and lemon tofu lettuce wraps (lots of tofu)
30 min elliptical/abs/arms
Old 09-15-2010, 07:30 PM   #887
Major LCF Poster!

Erin - I think you were writing to ME (!) So, are there things you absolutely stay away from regarding your corn sensitivity?
Old 09-15-2010, 07:35 PM   #888
Major LCF Poster!

9-15-10
B - 2 slices bacon, 1 egg
L - walnuts, banana, diet Sprite
S - almonds, chai flavored hot tea w/Equal
S - Burger King whopper Jr
D - chinese, strawberries (the chinese was lousey, why did I finish it?)

Exercise - walked about 1 1/2 miles
Old 09-16-2010, 07:00 AM   #889
Senior LCF Member

9-15.10
B-protein shake
s-detour bar
l-veggie dogs and cheese
s-yogurt with blueberries
d-detour bar, pb, almonds...we went to the mall after work and it was better than anything i could have gotten there.
no workout except walking around the mall....
Old 09-16-2010, 10:10 AM   #890
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mary T8M
Stats: 5'2" 228/144/125 good-bye 150's
WOE: LC/LF/LCal (medi)
Start Date: 4/23/10
9/15/10

B shake made with almond milk
L chicken breast
S a few almonds
D turkey taco meat on lettuce leaves, with home made green salsa
S 1/2 fuji apple

"jogging" in pool for 30 minutes

Weigh in down 2 pounds.....while DH is down another 6 pounds (he's down 11 pounds in 2 weeks)
Mary T8M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:15 AM   #891
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mary T8M
Stats: 5'2" 228/144/125 good-bye 150's
WOE: LC/LF/LCal (medi)
Start Date: 4/23/10
9/16/10 today (so far)

B shake with almond milk 140 Cal
L cheese "taco" with 2 oz chicken 230Cal
D To be determined....I only have 130 Cal left for the day

3 mile walk with DH
Mary T8M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 08:47 PM   #892
Senior LCF Member

b-protein shake w/ 1/2 banana
s-detour bar
l-edamame and string cheese
d-cottage cheese
s-sf vanilla pudding with mashed protein bar pieces
45 minutes on bike is all i could squeeze in
Old 09-16-2010, 10:18 PM   #893
Major LCF Poster!

9-16-10
B - rye fiber crackers, almond butter
Late Lunch/Early Dinner - 2 Taco Bell chicken burritos (no rice or cheese; but added refriend beans)--very full after 1 1/2, but ate both
S - mixed nuts, Reeses PB cookie

Exercise - none
Old 09-17-2010, 06:52 PM   #894
Major LCF Poster!

9-17-10
B - banana, walnuts
S - diet jello
L - rye fiber crackers, almond butter
D - steak, green beans, stove top stuffing (ate 1 1/2 servings)
S - 6 potato chips

1 hour later: tummy ache! Potato chips pkg said safflower/poss corn oil used; also the A1 sauce I used had corn syrup in it. Geez! It's hard to get away from this allergy! It's driving me nuts!

Exercise - Jogged 2 1/2 miles this AM.
Old 09-18-2010, 05:37 PM   #895
Senior LCF Member

officially flaked out on my appt yesterday! I honestly have had so much going on that just kinda forgot...until about 3 hours after my appt time....and by that time my clinic would have already been closed. I'm gonna call asap on Monday and see if I can get in after work or at lunch time. I hate missing appts to anything without calling. Ugh. Anyway, today sucked...I'm going on about 3 and a half hours of sleep.
b-two pieces of sara lee delightful whole wheat with pb and banana, ff cottage cheese
l-sweet tomatoes where i had a big spinach salad, cucumbers, hard boiled eggs, some bean salsa and strawberry sugar free mousse
d-protein shake
if i can bring myself to work out tonight i will do elliptical for 30-45 minutes and try to muster up the strength to do some weights...
Old 09-18-2010, 05:55 PM   #896
Major LCF Poster!

You've been busy Charlene! Don't be too hard on yourself

9-18-10
B - 1 scrambled egg with yellow & red peppers, 2 slices pork bacon well done
L - 1 slice whole wheat bread, 1 slice pork back broken up, lettuce, smidge of mayo
D - shrimp, multi-grain pasta, Alfredo sauce (low carb - included Parmasean cheese)
S - 1 cup pumpkin, walnuts, nutmeg & cinnamon & Sun crystals- microwaved (Sun crystals is 1/2 sugar, 1/2 stevia blend)

Exercise - pulled weeds and trimmed bushes for 1 hour
Old 09-19-2010, 03:41 PM   #897
Senior LCF Member

b-yogurt w/kashi go lean cereal in it
s-atkins bar (the payday like one)
l-celery w/laughing cow cheese, tofurky, string cheese
s-1 tbsp peanut butter
d-egg whites and ff cheddar, almonds
s-will have a couple pb protein balls
workout will consist of elliptical 45 minutes, abs, legs and then SLEEP
Old 09-19-2010, 08:04 PM   #898
Major LCF Poster!

9-19-10
This AM back down to 139 lbs (was up to 141 past few days!)
B - pumpkin, walnuts, spices; diet Dr Pepper
L - Jason's Deli chicken salad wrap and steamed veggies
D - 3 slices meat pizza
S - mixed nuts

Exercise - none
Old 09-20-2010, 06:37 PM   #899
Major LCF Poster!

9-20-10
B - ate 1/3 of Greek plain yogurt w/sliced strawberries and Sun Crystals (put the rest in freezer)
L - Taco Bell steak soft taco w/guacamole
S - rest of the yogurt/strawberries from freezer
D - turkey burger on Pepperidge Farm 100 cal bun, avacado, lettuce, purple onion - YUM!
S - mixed nuts

Exercise - jogged 2 1/2 miles while carrying my camera in pack, talked with other jogger for about 1/2 mile during my route--no shortness of air! I think I'm ready for the 5K this Saturday! Whoo Hoo!!
Old 09-20-2010, 06:45 PM   #900
Senior LCF Member

Food Inc. was an awesome movie! Made me a little paranoid about eating all together, though : ) I am SO HAPPY to be home, diet-wise anyways- I tried my best but came home unbearably bloated and terrified of the scale. We ate out a lot since we went boating pretty frequently, so sodium and calories were a little tough to track exactly. I am home "for the holidays" (until after New Years), so have a couple of months to hit it hard and perfect.

Monday:
B- Egg whites
S- EAS shake-Strawberry
L- chicken tenderloins, broiled with Mrs. Dash
S- tuna salad (FF mayo and SF sweet relish)
D- shrimp and scallops