Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Medi Weightloss
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2010, 10:09 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: carmcan
Cost of Medi Weight Loss

I am thinking about doing this program. I am new to the board and not sure if this has been posted before but I was wondering what the cost would be for the program. I am in Connecticut if that helps in case it varies by region. Any other words of advice would be helpful as I embark on this journey. By the way I'd like to lose 50 lbs by the summer - would that be doable on this program?
carmcan is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2010, 03:29 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: amy1915
Stats: 230/230/130
WOE: Medi Weight Loss
Start Date: Started Over 9/2012 after 76lb loss in 2010.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmcan View Post
I am thinking about doing this program. I am new to the board and not sure if this has been posted before but I was wondering what the cost would be for the program. I am in Connecticut if that helps in case it varies by region. Any other words of advice would be helpful as I embark on this journey. By the way I'd like to lose 50 lbs by the summer - would that be doable on this program?
I think it is definitely doable. I have lost 21 lbs in a month!
Yes, there are costs associated with this program but this is your health! I cut out eating out to offset the cost of Medi and I am spending way less on Medi than I was eating lunch out with my workmates everyday. I am also not spending as much on groceries because I'm not buying a bunch of frozen entree's and other useless junk food. Good luck....you can do this! Keep us posted!
amy1915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 04:09 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kristenb
Stats: Ht: 5'2" 187.7/154.8/135
Start Date: 01/06/2010
I too have done Atkins and Weight Watchers and just about every other diet out there. My problem was that I was always hungry and the weight eventually came back.

I chose Medi because of the appetite suppressant and because each week I am accountable for going to the office and having someone measure me and write down my weight. That is a huge motivator for me! Yeah, the other diets certainly cost less, but for me, to be able to change my life like this and get rid of the weight for good, it is totally worth it. I don't feel hungry and I am learning to look at food in a whole new way.

I think someone on here has a signature line that says "Now I eat to live, I don't live to eat" or something like that. I totally understand that now and appreciate it. I'm so glad I found this board. Seeing everyone succeed and encourage each other is wonderful. If you choose to do the Medi program, come back and post often, the people here are great!
kristenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:07 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Desert-Rose7
Stats: 5'11"/262/150/150
WOE: MediWeightLoss
Start Date: 12/19/08 in Wellness since 09/03/2009
It totally depends on what you want to get out of any program out there. I was referred to MWL by my physician and I have lost 112 pounds. I have been in Wellness now since September and am maintaining my weight loss. I believe in the program and believe it will work for you if you can give it 100% commitment - body, mind, and even soul - believe in yourself and your ability to improve your life and your health.

The program is not inexpensive, but good health is priceless.

Jo
Desert-Rose7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:12 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MEDIMIMI
Start Date: Starting over 1/29/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmcan View Post
It is 250 for your first visit, then 70-80 bucks per week, then you have to add in extra for supplements & fat burner pills. It is definately cost prohibitive, but the appetite suppresant is like the only way I have any willpower. It is willpower in a bottle.

Did you guys delete somoenes post?

Last edited by MEDIMIMI; 02-12-2010 at 10:16 AM..
MEDIMIMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 12:50 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SDC2
Stats: 5' 7.5" 218/150/155 Maintenance
WOE: Medi-Weightloss
Start Date: November 20, 2008
The total cost is a function of how seriously you take the program and how disciplined you are. I was desperate to lose the weight and followed the program to a T. I lost 62 pounds in 6 months for a total cost of $2250. That included the initial visit of $250 (with the $25 coupon) and 25 weeks at $80 ( which included the vitamin B6 shot). This does not include maintenance, but those visits were only $35 per visit, which was only 1 or 2 visits per month.

Prior to that I attended Weight Watchers (which is a program that I will never knock and if it works for you, great) for $11 a week, on and off for 16 years, Nutrisystem, for $300 for 1 month (and 1 month was enough), Jenny Craig, etc... not to mention the gym memberships. I am sure that these added to way more than $2250 multiple times over in the course of 16 years.

If you are able to do it on your own, more power to you. But most of us can't. This program is the most effective program I have ever done in my 40 year struggle with weight issues (I just turned 50) and I fully endorse it. I feel better and look better than I have in 16 years. In fact, I so believe in this program that I actively pursued and accepted a position at my local clinic.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:26 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Tammy123
Stats: 230/230/150
Start Date: Febuary 25
My first appt is on the 24 of this month. the first visit is going to cost a little under $300 and then $80 per week after.
Tammy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 05:39 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammy123 View Post
My first appt is on the 24 of this month. the first visit is going to cost a little under $300 and then $80 per week after.
Tammy,

You might want to ask if there are any discount coupons off the initial visit. Alot of clinics will give $25 off.
SDC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 05:55 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jana123
Stats: 5'4" 157/136.2/132
WOE: Medi-SouthPark
Start Date: January 29, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDC2 View Post
The total cost is a function of how seriously you take the program and how disciplined you are. I was desperate to lose the weight and followed the program to a T. I lost 62 pounds in 6 months for a total cost of $2250. That included the initial visit of $250 (with the $25 coupon) and 25 weeks at $80 ( which included the vitamin B6 shot). This does not include maintenance, but those visits were only $35 per visit, which was only 1 or 2 visits per month.

Prior to that I attended Weight Watchers (which is a program that I will never knock and if it works for you, great) for $11 a week, on and off for 16 years, Nutrisystem, for $300 for 1 month (and 1 month was enough), Jenny Craig, etc... not to mention the gym memberships. I am sure that these added to way more than $2250 multiple times over in the course of 16 years.

If you are able to do it on your own, more power to you. But most of us can't. This program is the most effective program I have ever done in my 40 year struggle with weight issues (I just turned 50) and I fully endorse it. I feel better and look better than I have in 16 years. In fact, I so believe in this program that I actively pursued and accepted a position at my local clinic.
I totally agree Susie! I have been on this plan for 2 weeks and I'm doing exactly what I'm supposed to. I told my husband that this is an investment in myself and he supported me. In return, he is getting a wife who is happier, healthier and has much more energy.

I have spent money on other ventures as well, most notably Nutrisystem ( the nastiest food I have ever eaten).

Susie, I didn't know you now worked for MWL, that's great!
jana123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 06:10 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Susie, my other half is constantly putting it into a cost per pound ratio. Over the summer on Medi I lost a total of 23 pounds in 11 weeks. He added in supplements, ketosticks etc and it ended up costing roughly $41 per pound. I need to lose about 40 pounds now, so at the rate I lost before, I am looking at $1650ish. (which is a lot, but honestly worth it if I could get there an keep it off) I failed at the keeping it off part, I never got to maintenance.

You are doing much better at about $36 per pound. lol.

I have never tried Nutrisystem, because I have heard the food is icky. I have tried Medifast (had some success, but felt sick all the time) and I have failed and succeeded at WW many times over the years. My problem is less of a "losing" problem and more of an inability to keep it off. ANd when I gain it all back, I end up higher then when I started.

Last edited by MEDIMIMI; 02-13-2010 at 06:12 AM..
Old 02-13-2010, 07:55 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: shananagins
Stats: 251/236.5/170
Start Date: 1/7/10
Tammy,
My clinic told me that they would accept my blood panel if done within 30 days. I visited my Dr and had my full blood panel (make sure it is complete!) and an EKG before my visit. My insurance paid for those through my Dr, but wouldn't pay if done through Medi (so says my insurance). That saved me $25. The nice part of having your Dr do both, is that when you have another Dr visit, she will have records from before you started to see how you are doing.
My thought process on the cost - Is this something I could do on my own? YES. Will I do it on my own? NOT Likely. I tell friends I needed adult supervision! So, while the cost may seem high, the results will be worth it.
MEDIMIMI - Your other half needs to understand that not all things in life can be broken down to cost per ratio. How does he measure happiness, love, health or joy? Those are some of the things I value most. Those are also some of the things, for me, that will be enhanced as these pounds come off. Walking farther and more often with my dog, getting my hip pain to subside, being able to have more stamina and energy, feeling less like an anchor so I am comfortable sailing again, those are all immeasurables for me.
Having his wife live longer, healthier and happier, how much per pound is that worth?
shananagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 09:57 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDIMIMI View Post
Susie, my other half is constantly putting it into a cost per pound ratio. Over the summer on Medi I lost a total of 23 pounds in 11 weeks. He added in supplements, ketosticks etc and it ended up costing roughly $41 per pound. I need to lose about 40 pounds now, so at the rate I lost before, I am looking at $1650ish. (which is a lot, but honestly worth it if I could get there an keep it off) I failed at the keeping it off part, I never got to maintenance.

You are doing much better at about $36 per pound. lol.

I have never tried Nutrisystem, because I have heard the food is icky. I have tried Medifast (had some success, but felt sick all the time) and I have failed and succeeded at WW many times over the years. My problem is less of a "losing" problem and more of an inability to keep it off. ANd when I gain it all back, I end up higher then when I started.
Mimi,

Perhaps if you had gone through the maintenance part of the program you would have been more successful in keeping it off.

For me the keys to success in maintenance (which also apply to the acute phase) are...

1. Incorporating this WOE as a lifestyle. I still only eat low glycemic carbs and only have starches such as potatoes, pasta, ..., once in a great while. If I have a potato, I scoop most of the inside out.

2. I try to keep a positive, empowered attitude and know that I am the only one in control of me. I don't focus on what I have given up, I focus on the life I have reclaimed and I love it! My glass is half full, not half empty.

3. I am proactive in my weightloss journey and if I have a question or a need I actively seek it out through my clinic. I ask questions instead of going home with unanswered questions and doubts.

4. I am and was committed to the program, drinking their water, journaling, and staying in ketosis. These are key ingredients to success. I can not stress enough how important journaling is to your journey. Journaling creates awareness, accountability, and history that can help you in determining which foods work and which foods do not work, especially in transitional periods. When you do not journal you can get sloppy and this WOL loses its effectiveness.

5. I take responsibility for my actions. I own them and go right back on program. One slip does not cause a setback. Dwelling on guilt and denial can only bring bigger demise. Forgiveness is key. One indiscrestion will not effect your journey, so I let it stop at that. Lack of forgiveness can lead to multiple indescretions.

6. Taking control. I will not let 5 pounds turn into 10. I will seek help before that becomes an issue.

7. It is a choice that requires long term motivation that will get me through those stressful and temptation filled times. For me the motivation is feeling great, knees that no longer ache, going off medications I have been on for years, the attention I get from my husband, the feeling of sliding on a size 8 pair of jeans, being able to do activities that were physically off limits for years.

The looks I get from my husband are far more delicious than any food I have ever tasted!
Old 02-13-2010, 10:15 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: elizabethgrace
Stats: 242/223/150
Start Date: 1/14/2010
Sometimes you have to weigh the cost now against the possible cost later on. Years of yo-yo dieting wrecked my gall bladder, so this past June, I had to have emergency gall bladder surgery. (So make sure you eat what is recommended for gall bladder health) My gall bladder was so inflamed and full of gall stones, even with laproscopic surgery I had to stay for two extra days of intraveneous antibiotics. And during sugery, they found a huge hernia under my belly button. Even after insurance paid, I still owed the hospital, surgeon, anesthesiologist and radiologist a total of $1400. And I have taken blood pressure medication for 15 years, which my Medi doctor says I will be able to stop taking when I reach my goal weight. And plus size clothes are always $5.00 to $10.00 more expensive.

Actually, I look at the cost of the program as potentially saving me money in the long run as regards to heart problems, diabetes, circulatory problems, etc.
You may not be bothered by any of this yet, but believe me, not taking care of yourself will always come back to haunt you. Now that I am getting "clean" from this "food addiction", I feel better, look better, and have a happier and healthier outlook for the future.
elizabethgrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:52 AM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LostinAusten
Stats: 187.5/158/130
WOE: 1st MWL, now HCG
Start Date: 12/29/09
I am married to a scientist that loves math. I don't think that the cost per pound formula is accurate. Being overweight/obese has a high cost a well. Emotionally, for sure.

Healthcare is more expensive and not as effective. I vividly remember how difficult it was for people to take blood samples from me when I was 250 plus pounds. It was much riskier to be pregnant. I remember how difficult it was for anyone to be able to use an ultrasound machine on my body, how many medical devices didn't fit, how I had to have the XL blood pressure cuff and many other modifications. I remember how stressed out health professionals got when having to deal with me; no one wants to get sued because they missed something!

I also remember having to use an airplane seat belt extender, having to pay expensive prices for clothing and limited choices for my size, my life insurance costs were higher and getting health insurance was very difficult. blaming them.

It's easy to be misunderstood when we are fat. It's not fair, but our appearances speak for us.

What am I forgetting? My daughter is crying and needs me to go put her down for a nap. Don't have time to perfect this post but maybe someone else can finish my thoughts. Point is, it's expensive to be fat!
LostinAusten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 11:29 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: amy1915
Stats: 230/230/130
Start Date: Started Over 9/2012 after 76lb loss in 2010.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDC2 View Post
The looks I get from my husband are far more delicious than any food I have ever tasted!
I love this comment! Just this morning I was getting dressed and was in the nude when my husband asked me to stop so he could look at me...then he said "You're looking good!" It made me feel wonderful!
amy1915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 11:45 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: elizabethgrace
Stats: 242/223/150
Start Date: 1/14/2010
I read an obesity study not long ago that said we are currently gaining approximately 10 lbs each per year at our present life style. I just could not wrap my mind around that until I compared my weight before I started Medi to what it was in July 2004. I remember that time because I had actually gotten down to 195 on Weight Watchers. When I went in for my annual physical in October 2009, I weighed 247lbs. That is about 10lbs per year. Wow, talk about a reality check.
I stopped going to WW because my daughter was going off to college that fall and we were buying her extra clothes and looking at paying for tuition, housing, sorority, etc. Not having that weekly accountability and venue for talking out your weight issues began to take its toll. One pizza lead to another and eventually I was 247lbs.
I know choosing to go with Medi is a strain on the finances, but there is not another plan I have found that helps you loose a large amount of weight as quickly and healthfully as Medi does.
And you get to talk to all these wonderful people on this site who are going through the same things you are night and day and are willing to share their love, encouragement and a strong, guiding hand when you need it.
elizabethgrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:52 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

I am in total agreement with the above posts most notably beginning with Susie's at post #12.

I believe in this program. I am committed to the program 100%, even now in maintainance. This is my WOE for the remainder of my time on this planet. Cost wise, I am right about where Susie is on total cost for the acute phase and first months of maintenance. I go once a month now, at $35.00 per visit. My health is incredibly improved. All my "numbers" are normal now. I enjoy the admiring looks when I am out walking or over in the fitness center. I am constantly getting compliments at work, out shopping, or wherever I go. What a marvelous incentive that is to keep walking the path of enlightened health and fitness.

And I do not consider myself deprived. Like Susie, I enjoy small indulgences once in a while..that is pasta, a sweet potato, a bit of brown Jasmine rice. I just prepare well for those indulgences. I still drink at least 140 oz of water a day, I will always be walking at least 4 miles a day, and will always journal. Journalling is an absolutely perfect way to keep yourself accountable to yourself. There is no value in lying to yourself, as it gets you nowhere. Honesty is always the best for yourself and your life.

And to be brutally honest, if you cannot commit 100% to this program, or have to look for ways around what you are asked to do, I am just going to say flat out that this is not the program for you.

And also, there is this point. Why is the most important person in your life criticizing your wish to be a better you, a healthier you. I was married to a CPA tax attorney for many years, a frugal man to the very end, but never never never did he ever criticize or pontificate on the cost of food, or healthy activities. If someone truly loves you, then the efforts you make to become a healthier you are worthy of praise - and certainly not worth the nickel and diming of your attempt.

If money is tight, well then, that is a fact of life. Make sacrifices elsewhere to work the program, that is, if the program is truly important to you. I read constantly in this forum of the sacrifices people are making so that they can work the program. For myself, I made a lot of financial changes to make the program work. I had to. I was displaced from my job in January of last year, barely a month after beginning the program. I gave up going to movies, eating out, pared my grocery list down to the bare essentials, walked and found ways to exercise that did not involve spending $$$. I lived on my savings, my severance, and unemployment and made the program work.

And I did nothing that others have not done as well. You really have to want this, this program and all that it entails, and want to work it successfully, following all the instructions. If this is all too much for you, then this is just not the program for you.

It most certainly is not my intention to hurt anyone's feelings, or cause embarrassment or upset. It IS my intention to point out, clearly, how important your health is, and how important you are as a person in your own right. If this program is meant for you, then you will know in your heart that it is, and will make the commitment necessary to make it work.

...and I am getting off my soapbox now...I was fortunate enough to be called back to my job in September...and I have to get ready for work.

Wishing everyone a Happy Valentine's Day, wishing love and friendship to all of you each day of your life.

Jo
Old 02-14-2010, 12:07 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert-Rose7 View Post
And also, there is this point. Why is the most important person in your life criticizing your wish to be a better you, a healthier you. I was married to a CPA tax attorney for many years, a frugal man to the very end, but never never never did he ever criticize or pontificate on the cost of food, or healthy activities. If someone truly loves you, then the efforts you make to become a healthier you are worthy of praise - and certainly not worth the nickel and diming of your attempt.

If money is tight, well then, that is a fact of life. Make sacrifices elsewhere to work the program, that is, if the program is truly important to you. I read constantly in this forum of the sacrifices people are making so that they can work the program. For myself, I made a lot of financial changes to make the program work. I had to. I was displaced from my job in January of last year, barely a month after beginning the program. I gave up going to movies, eating out, pared my grocery list down to the bare essentials, walked and found ways to exercise that did not involve spending $$$. I lived on my savings, my severance, and unemployment and made the program work.

And I did nothing that others have not done as well. You really have to want this, this program and all that it entails, and want to work it successfully, following all the instructions. If this is all too much for you, then this is just not the program for you.

It most certainly is not my intention to hurt anyone's feelings, or cause embarrassment or upset. It IS my intention to point out, clearly, how important your health is, and how important you are as a person in your own right. If this program is meant for you, then you will know in your heart that it is, and will make the commitment necessary to make it work.

...and I am getting off my soapbox now...I was fortunate enough to be called back to my job in September...and I have to get ready for work.

Wishing everyone a Happy Valentine's Day, wishing love and friendship to all of you each day of your life.

Jo
Jo-
It is also a cost vs value thing. My clinic was awful, and I did not have a good experience with the staff at all. I got 90% of what I needed from this board as far as following the plan. Only thing I got at the clinic was to step on the scale, meet the "staff of the week" and get the prescription. Had I had a better experience, I may be more willing to rack up the credit card debt to make it work again, but well, the clinic wasn't holding up their end of the bargain. All of my medical numbers are good, aside from the number on the scale. I requested to meet with the Dr at my clinic to discuss the long term effects of this diet, to see if anyone has had any real long term success, and I was denied access to the Dr. I was given excuses and shooed out the door. When I stopped the program (had a cancer scare) I also asked to meet with the Dr and was not able to do so.

Then of course, is the constant argument going through my head, that any diet in which you consume 500-800 calories a day and take a handful of pills is actually "good" for you. I did not re-join the plan because I think it is the healthies way to lose weight. I see and understand that a very low calorie diet laced with amphetamine appetite suppresants and a hand full of vitamins is something we do when we are desperate. And I was desperate. And it works. In the short term at least for quick weight loss. It does make you think about long term damage to your metabolism, about how you could possibly maintain a weight loss once you go back to a normal caloric intake. There is a reason people hide this diet from their friends and families, and that reason is nagging common sense.

You cannot deny that from all of the people that come and go on these boards (and several people that I know in the real world, even the one who referred me to the clinic) MOST people are not successful at making it to the maintenance phase and keeping the weight off. Of all of the hundreds of people that come and gone on this board,just in the months I have been here, only a handful have been successful. Out of my friends that go to the clinic, none have kept the weight off. Not even one.

Last edited by MEDIMIMI; 02-14-2010 at 12:17 PM..
Old 02-14-2010, 01:30 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Mimi,

I am sorry you feel the way you do and you should always do what you think is best. The fact that your clinic denied you access to the doctor was wrong IMHO and goes against Medi corporate as far as everything I've read.

As far as your metabolism claims, do you have statistics to back up your claims? My metabolism was measured at the beginning of maintenance and it came out to 1800 calories per day if I do no activity whatsoever. Not bad. Since then I have purchased a Bodybugg, which measures metabolism and my daily caloric burn is always between 2000 and 2900 calories. I completed the acute phase of the program and went through the maintenance and wellness phases of the program, so feel that I have a knowledge base from which to speak. I still will qualify my statements as either being opinion or from some material I received at Medi.

I went off the AS while still in the acute phase as I kept forgetting to take them, so felt I no longer needed them. I have never been dependent on them.

I sincerely wish you all the best and I hope you find the program you are looking for.

Last edited by SDC2; 02-14-2010 at 01:36 PM..
Old 02-14-2010, 02:40 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: McBoo
Stats: 216/140/140 Now on Maintainance
WOE: Medi Weightloss Clinics
Start Date: June 17, 2008
Jo and Susie,

You are absolutley correct about this being a lifestyle change. Those of us that have successfully made it through the acute phase and are now in wellness have committed to the program 100%. To those people who beleive that you are only going to eat 500-800 calories per day for the rest of your life are sadly misinformed and need to have a chat with your clinic to get the whole picture. I have maintained my weight for 14 months and currently eat between 1500-1800 calories per day. As for the comment about posters that come and go I can generally predict (99% of the time) who will be successful on the program and who will fail. (I have been pleasantly surprised on a couple of occassions and you know who you are). Those that are looking for a way around and manipulate the program are destined to fail. I can't count the number of times someone in week one or two has not followed the program and thinks it is OK because they felt it was just this once or someone in their life sabbatoged them. Unless someone held you down against your will and force fed you things that are not on the program you sabbatoged yourself!

Let's face it folks we didn't become fat or obese overnight. You can crunch the numbers all you want but the fact is isn't it worth the money to get back your health. You can spend the money now to get back your health or you can spend it later on the medical expenses and increased insurance premiums. The choice is yours.

If you feel the program is not for you please find one that is. Your health is the most important thing.

Out of the shadows for now.

McBoo

Before and after Pics
http://www.slide.com/profile?puid=UY...S8QcfBRFZvgCG0

"Born right the first time"
"BE KIND TO ONE ANOTHER"
"CANCER SUCKS"
McBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 11:04 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MagicalHome
What do I need to do in order to join this medi weightloss program?
MagicalHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 11:37 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

My suggestion is to check out the program's website for a great deal of information and to determine if there is a clinic in your area.

Medical Weight Loss Center - Physician-Supervised Weight Loss - Medi-Weightloss Clinics

and also check out our Newbie thread too.

Jo
Desert-Rose7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 09:47 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sshals
Stats: 5'4" 264/192/132
WOE: Medi
Start Date: 02/2010
Corporate partnerships?

I had known about the program for almost a year before I finally joined. One of the factors that prevented me from taking the leap sooner was the cost. I am fortunate that my corporate wellness program has established a partnership with the local Medi clinics, so I am able to receive a discount. My first visit was $203, and weekly visits are $73 (with the extra shot). In the long term it basically works out to the equivalent of an extra car payment a month. Which is actually quite a bit for me.

However, my husband and I have quickly realized that we will save a lot of money on food. I no longer spend $5 - $10 per day for meals at work and the grocery bill is significantly lower. (Especially since my hubby has made it his mission to eat absolutely everything in the pantry and refrigerator that I cannot eat as quickly as possible ). Plus a package of chicken breasts lasts for a lot more meals when you are only eating 3 oz at time!

Deciding to spend the dollars was a tough decision for me, but in the end I decided it was worth it for a program that works.

I would also recommend to any of you who work for a company that has a corporate wellness program, that you contact the coordinator about establishing a partnership with Medi. Every little bit helps!
Sshals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:40 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sshals
Stats: 5'4" 264/192/132
WOE: Medi
Start Date: 02/2010
The price of hope...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDIMIMI View Post
Jo-
It is also a cost vs value thing. My clinic was awful, and I did not have a good experience with the staff at all. I got 90% of what I needed from this board as far as following the plan. Only thing I got at the clinic was to step on the scale, meet the "staff of the week" and get the prescription. Had I had a better experience, I may be more willing to rack up the credit card debt to make it work again, but well, the clinic wasn't holding up their end of the bargain. All of my medical numbers are good, aside from the number on the scale. I requested to meet with the Dr at my clinic to discuss the long term effects of this diet, to see if anyone has had any real long term success, and I was denied access to the Dr. I was given excuses and shooed out the door. When I stopped the program (had a cancer scare) I also asked to meet with the Dr and was not able to do so.

Then of course, is the constant argument going through my head, that any diet in which you consume 500-800 calories a day and take a handful of pills is actually "good" for you. I did not re-join the plan because I think it is the healthies way to lose weight. I see and understand that a very low calorie diet laced with amphetamine appetite suppresants and a hand full of vitamins is something we do when we are desperate. And I was desperate. And it works. In the short term at least for quick weight loss. It does make you think about long term damage to your metabolism, about how you could possibly maintain a weight loss once you go back to a normal caloric intake. There is a reason people hide this diet from their friends and families, and that reason is nagging common sense.

You cannot deny that from all of the people that come and go on these boards (and several people that I know in the real world, even the one who referred me to the clinic) MOST people are not successful at making it to the maintenance phase and keeping the weight off. Of all of the hundreds of people that come and gone on this board,just in the months I have been here, only a handful have been successful. Out of my friends that go to the clinic, none have kept the weight off. Not even one.
Mimi,

I am sorry to hear you have had such a bad experience at your clinic. I know I am new and that may be cause to disregard my thoughts (which I would completely understand ), but I feel compelled to comment anyway.

My clinic seems to be completely different from yours. During my first appointment, the doctor spent nearly 45 minutes with me, helping me set my goals, going over the plan, answering my questions, and offering encouragement. He has used the plan successfully himself (as it seems that most people at my clinic have). During my first follow-up, the nurse practitioner went over my journal for the previous week, pointed out some changes I could make, and went over the plan for week two quite thoroughly. She also gave me time to ask the questions I had prepared and didn't try to rush the visit.

I have several co-workers and friends who completed the acute phase of the plan last summer. They have all spoken very highly of the plan and of my particular clinic. And they have all kept the weight off.

As for what makes a person take the seemingly drastic step of participating in a medically supervised diet, for me it was desperation. I had completely bought into the idea that eating healthy foods, tracking calories, and exercising regularly would work. Burn more calories than you eat and lose weight. For some people it probably is that simple, but for me it wasn't. South Beach, Weight Watchers, plain old calorie counting... I've tried them all. Each time my weight loss would stall fairly quickly. I figured it was my fault for doing something wrong. I even bought a BodyBugg to track calories burned, and diligently weighed and journaled everything I put into my mouth. I figured that this precise level of measurement would have to work. Some weeks it did, other weeks the numbers just didn't add up.

I haven't eaten fast food in four years. I only drink water, coffee, and unsweetened tea. I almost never drink alcohol. I rarely eat processed foods and only indulge in fried foods once or twice a month (usually the once or twice a month I would go to a restaurant). For the most part, I eat whole grains, vegetables, fruit, lean proteins, and healthy fats. I have small meals and healthy snacks. I measure foods with a scale. I exercise 4 to 6 days a week. I trained for and participated in a half-marathon last fall. For all that, I lost 22 pounds in as many months. One-pound per month.

So, I am desperate. But now, I also have hope. The one thing I have never tried is something as drastic as Medi. It's only been a week, but I feel great. Of course I am afraid that it could stop working. But I look at the people that I know and the people at my clinic that have done so well and I have hope. And so, I will follow this plan to the letter and take my pills and get my shots. I will also keep exercising and maintain my philosophy of eating natural, non-processed foods. And, when I am at my goal, I will start training for my first marathon. If it turns out that the plan does not work for me, well I suppose I'll start training for my first marathon anyway.

To anyone who reads this post,

Perhaps my thoughts will help you make the decision to jump or not to jump. Everyone needs to make the choice that is best for them and I would never presume that what is best for me is best for another individual. Just remember that not making a choice is a choice in its own way. And, if you are worried about the cost then try to compare it fairly to the cost of your other options.
Sshals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:27 PM   #25
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bucigirl
I keep hearing people talking about this $25 coupon. How does one get their hands on it? I have my 1st appointment tomorrow and would love to have it to cut down on the cost. :-) Thanks!
bucigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:22 AM   #26
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: marshaoz
Susie your results are amazing and inspiring !!! I just joined the Medi Weight Loss Clinic where I live here in Brandon. I have lost 6lbs already and it's not even the end of my first week. I don't feel tired, or hungry. I am 5'9" and 186lbs, I need to lose about 51 lbs to get down to my goal weight and I believe that this is a good way as it is physician supervised. Like I said, I have lost 6 of those 51 lbs already. The Doctor stressed the need for patients to complete the maintenance phase in order not to regain the weight lost. I would recommend it because I see results. I have tried other diets and plans with little or no success. This one seems to be working already, all you have to do is follow the instructions and you will see the results. Good luck !!!
marshaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:44 PM   #27
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Tobysgrandma
WOE: Medi-weightloss
You are an inspiration , thank-you...
Tobysgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:51 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cheftrish
Stats: 5'5" 178.8/171.6/130
Start Date: January 23 2014
Tobysgrandma,

Did anyone answer directly about the cost? I paid 170. for my initial visit, which included the supplements and the bloodwork and EKG, my next visit I had two shots, and bought some power bars and it cost 100.00. I have to admit, that surprised me a bit, how much were those protein bars anyway?? I think the followup visits are around 60.00-70.00 usually. This is an expensive program- but nothing else has worked so far. Hope this helps!
cheftrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 03:18 AM   #29
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Born To Lose
Stats: 308/233/210
WOE: MediWeightloss
Start Date: July 27, 2011
additional costs

[The second shot (pyridoxine/B6) is $15 in addition to the $70 for the visit]
Having said that, it has helped me to the tune of almost 48 pounds in 7 weeks so far--it's worth it to me!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheftrish View Post
Tobysgrandma,

Did anyone answer directly about the cost? I paid 170. for my initial visit, which included the supplements and the bloodwork and EKG, my next visit I had two shots, and bought some power bars and it cost 100.00. I have to admit, that surprised me a bit, how much were those protein bars anyway?? I think the followup visits are around 60.00-70.00 usually. This is an expensive program- but nothing else has worked so far. Hope this helps!

Last edited by Born To Lose; 09-15-2011 at 03:19 AM..
Born To Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:04 PM   #30
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: team
Stats: 374/360.5/180
Start Date: October 2011
My program was $289 (and that was with a $50 offer).... BUT I was given a lunchkit with everything in it (all the pills, water bottle and scale) so I imagine it might be cheaper elsewehre without all those. The weigh in visits are $70 with the option of adding $10 for the "double" shot instead of single.
team is offline   Reply With Quote